Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Simple but reliable tool buying advise

Offline Giovanni

• New User
Simple but reliable tool buying advise
on: May 17, 2024, 04:35:30 PM
Hello everybody,

my first post here, along the years I bought a few Leatherman tools, they are sure nice to the eye and a decent quality, mosto of mine have gone when somebody showed interest and gave them as a present, last one I gave is a Skeletool, nice size, nice array of tools, not the best blade, not the best finish but overall worth the money, I gave the last one a few weeks ago and have a brand new one I bought as an extra as I know that sooner or later somebody sees it and "ohhhh, how nice..."

I aldo have a Victorinox but it's huge, I take it with me now in a shoulder bag (I always walk around with a bag to store a camera, an extra lens, paperwork and some form of tool but even in a bag the Swiss multitool is a burden and has lot of stuff I'll never need nor to mention the necessity to use nails to activate some tools doesn't suit me) , too big.

Got my son a few years ago a Leatherman with a single blade and a carabineer if that's the correct name, very pretty, not the best iron but I dunno personally as he has it.

The size of the Skeletool is fine, tools are enough, to me a good blade in case I have to cut even a rope (I go boating every day in summer as part of my job), a flat and cross screwdriver and something to cut an iron wire just in case, pliers meh, can be or not there not a necessity so far but ok if don't make the tool too big and if durable.

I am not aware of other brands nor about kind of iron used bla bla bla, I know the Skeletool in the 70-80$ range, I don't mind spending a little more but I want it durable, pleasant to the eye, a finish which won't fade and without whistles and bells, do you have at least any other brand to look at?

Grazie

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Re: Simple but reliable tool buying advise
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 05:22:17 PM
It sounds like the Skeletool is pretty close to what you want. They do make them with a few different blades and materials, so maybe just getting one of the nicer ones. The CX is the one I hear the most about, but someone else probably knows more.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 07:36:14 PM
I agree, no reason to look at others if the Skeletool has everything you need.

The CX has better steel and a plain blade, RX has better steel and a serrated blade.

hu Offline Mangyang

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 09:59:11 PM
Pliers on skeletool are a bit lacking for me. Thereare some bigger Victorinox knives with some extra tools, one hand opening big blades. You might want to check them out. Otherwise you are kinda stuck with Leatherman or a bunch of separate tools in a pouch. I also recomment the Leatherman Wave. It is a mid size tool with oho knives.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2024, 03:02:21 AM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

Seems like a Skeletool Cx fits what you want but a Signal might also fit the bill but it does have a few extras you may or may not care about  :think: it is also a combo blade and that may help with cutting rope over a plain edge blade (regular Skeletool also has a combo blade and same steel as what the Signal has) :cheers: plus the pliers are a bit more substantial on a Signal :cheers: just a thought but still the Skeletool or Skeletool Cx route does seem better for you :salute:

Offline Giovanni

• New User
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2024, 09:58:43 AM
These are the two I own and you can tell the Swiss being quite a huge tool for an everyday carry, on the other hand the Skeletool is pretty but no combo blade and the other one I got, which I gave to one of my son's friend, had the coating fading which is not pretty to see and not indicator of good quality but it's a minor flaw I can live with.

Got my son the Crater one a while ago and it is a pretty little knife, bottle opener, don't remember if a combo blade, and a simple screwdriver which in my case comes handy when I need to open a can of varnish to say one, a pretty took you can always have with you when hiking without to add further weight to the bag, anything similar to that since LEatherman dismissed it?

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2024, 01:41:16 PM
  Nothing is perfect, friend Giovanni.  If you go simple, then something might be lacking.  If you go big, then it is too big to carry comfortably.  Sometimes you think a serrated blade would be better, sometimes the opposite. 
  Looks like you have some good usable pocket tools.  I particularly like the big Wenger, I think.  I only have a few Leathermans, and mostly just play with them.  If I need a pair of pliers I just get pliers out of my toolbox. 
   Would something else be perfect?  You get to decide.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :popcorn:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2024, 02:26:48 PM
If the Skeletool kind of fits what you want, there are some other options.
The Wingman and Sidekick are a step up. One-handed blades, more substantial pliers, drivers, a few more things.
Then we can go to the Curl, Wave, and Signal.

The Curl would be ok. It's definitely more durable than the Skeletool, and it has more tools for around the same price.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 04:51:10 PM
You have gotten some good advice. I can only add three things. A fully serrated blade might be desirable if you're cutting a lot of rope. (The Wave has a good one.) Steel cable is something I'd cut with a tool that's designed for that purpose. And of course, know and abide by all applicable laws concerning knives and multis.  :tu:
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2024, 09:04:27 PM
Well, if you are ever in the mood to give away another Skeletool...

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2024, 10:39:07 AM
Welcome aboard, Giovanni!

:cheers: :salute:

Like others have said, go with what works for you. As per the "the coating fading which is not pretty to see and not indicator of good quality", I'll have to disagree on both counts. I look at that and see "well used and still going strong after lots of work".

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2024, 01:48:42 PM
Like others have said, go with what works for you. As per the "the coating fading which is not pretty to see and not indicator of good quality", I'll have to disagree on both counts.
:iagree: Every coating will eventually show some sort of wear. I do my best to minimize such wear if I purchase a multi brand-new (possibly excepting black oxide). Yet I can appreciate a good patina that was formed over a long period of honest use.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD
31%