Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Loadout for Hiking /camping tool?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Loadout for Hiking /camping tool?
on: May 17, 2014, 03:05:34 AM
I'm thinking of buying/modding a tool specifically for hiking/camping - so many decisions to be made!

The tool loadout I am thinking of would be:
- Saw. A big one. If I could fit my Laplander in there, I would.
- Knife. I'm thinking of two blades - a bigger one for working with wood etc and a smaller one for... smaller stuff
- Awl. Never had one but I'm sure it would earn it's keep.
- Can opener - maybe. I don't usually take tinned food but you never know.
- Firesteel? I already have one but it would be cool to have one on a multitool.

Other considerations:
- Plier-based or not? I'm not sure if pliers will be handy out in the bush.
- Same with screwdrivers - maybe for fixing gear? If so, a bit driver might be the way as I already have the LM bit kit and bit driver extender.

In writing this I am realising that all these are not tools that I would use all the time, more if I had to employ a bit of bushcraft and make/fix something.

What tools would you want? Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated.  :)  :pok:
(By the way I don't hunt or fish)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Loadout for Hiking /camping tool?
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:45:10 AM
How about a Victorinox Camper, Farmer, or Forester?

I'm not sure pliers or a lot of screwdrivers are worth the weight on a hiking/camping tool, unless you have a some specific gear you might need to repair with them.

I don't know about a firesteel on a multi-tool, but you could certainly find a sheath that would hold both or attach them together with a lanyard...

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:47:39 AM
The problem with someone else giving advice is that I have no clue what the rest of your pack is like, what you are wanting to accomplish, or what you are thinking you might run into. For me a Surge is always in my pack since it works great for flipping food on the grill, picking up hot pots or pans, and has even been put to use repairing a few things (bending tent poles, untying knots, etc) on the trail.

I went with a Surge simply because it is everything a Farmer is and so much more. Add a skinth to the mix to easily carry a ferro rod, tinder, flashlight, and some spare paracord and you have a nice little set up. Could even through a very basic FAK in one and maybe add some DMT credit card sharpeners and call it a day.

Remember though, redundancy isn't bad. If you have a multitool modded to have everything in it and you lose that multitool then you can be up a creek. Easy to trip while hiking or wading and have it fall out of a pocket. Plus, using a ferro rod while your knife is attached to the other end may limit you in what you plan on using as a striker. All things to consider
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:49:49 AM by dmanuel »

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:13:45 AM
For me a Surge is always in my pack since it works great for flipping food on the grill, picking up hot pots or pans, and has even been put to use repairing a few things (bending tent poles, untying knots, etc) on the trail.

I always carry my Charge for camping/hiking/etc for some of the same reasons. The pliers come in handy more often than you might think; dmanuel already listed some of my favorite examples. :)

- Same with screwdrivers - maybe for fixing gear? If so, a bit driver might be the way as I already have the LM bit kit and bit driver extender.

I agree that the bit driver is the way to go here; plenty of versatility with not much added weight. I'll admit that I don't use the bit driver too often while camping, but I know it could be useful for fixing some of my gear (camp stove comes to mind).

The Charge/Wave models don't come stock with an awl, but it's fairly simple to remove the scissors and swap in an awl. The saw is very useful for its size, and the back side of the saw has a crisp 90-degree edge which makes it perfect for striking your ferro rod/firesteel. The diamond file is great for sharpening a camp axe or hatchet if you have one with you.

- Knife. I'm thinking of two blades - a bigger one for working with wood etc and a smaller one for... smaller stuff

I like to carry a fixed blade along with my Charge when camping/hiking for this very reason. :)

hr Offline styx

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 01:05:12 PM
As Nate said, it does go a lot with what else you have and what you really want to do. Personally I go with a SAK for the most part as it can be a stand alone tool. But then again many things can be like that with a little ingenuity

just don't forget...
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 01:11:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I guess I'd like people to say what they would have in an outdoor tool, then I can think if that would be useful to me. (eg the pliers)

I know nothing about SAKs so have checked those ones out (if I decide against pliers):
Camper - like, although I don't need a corkscrew - unless I could put something else in there. The Hiker (funnily enough) is more like it...
Farmer - only one blade, and is the awl OK in that position compared to ones in the middle?
Forester - only one blade, has corkscrew, BUT I do like the shape and larger size - I may look at others in this style (eg Trailmaster/Trekker)...

Do the blades and saws lock on all of these?

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 01:41:38 PM
Hmmm, Wenger.....  :P

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 01:46:32 PM
The awl on the Farmer works brilliantly in that position, think of it like a mini mikita drill!

It is a brilliant bushcraft tool, I've been using Farmer since about 06 I think and they make a great woods knife that you can have on you all the time :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 01:48:11 AM
I know nothing about SAKs so have checked those ones out (if I decide against pliers):
Camper - like, although I don't need a corkscrew - unless I could put something else in there. The Hiker (funnily enough) is more like it...
Farmer - only one blade, and is the awl OK in that position compared to ones in the middle?
Forester - only one blade, has corkscrew, BUT I do like the shape and larger size - I may look at others in this style (eg Trailmaster/Trekker)...

Do the blades and saws lock on all of these?

Yes, if you like the Camper except for the corkscrew, the Hiker is the same knife with the Phillips screwdriver in place of the corkscrew.  The corkscrew is good for more than just bottles of wine, though; it is great for loosening knots, which might come in handy when out hiking or camping.

As Mike said, the awl position on the end of the knife, as on the Farmer, is excellent, and actually superior to the back spring position for many tasks.

111 mm SAKs, like the Forester, have locking blades, but the 93 mm series (Farmer and similar) and the 91 mm series (Camper and similar) do not.  None of these have locking saws.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 03:22:43 AM
The Farmer, though lacking a secondary blade, is a very nice knife, though an option that meets most of your wants, unexpectedly, is the CyberTool 41; it has everything except for the firesteel, which as others mention, would work better as a separate piece.  I definitely second the mention of still having a secondary knife, and a Skinth makes for an awesome sheath, especially one with the velcro side tubes...

Side thought:  Metro, if you're reading this, would button snaps for side tubes be a possible option down the road, in lieu of velcro?

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 12:39:41 PM
OK, narrowing it down a little...
I prefer the size and shape of the larger SAKs so either 111mm Victorinox like the Forester (if only it had a second blade...) or 130mm Rangergrip (ditto) or 130mm Rangergrip Wengers - especially after reading this:

In the 84/85/91mm category I prefer Vic for the better tools and ergonomy.

In the larger 111/120mm category I prefer the Wengers for their larger blade, larger saw and their better and safer unlocking mechanism.
I think I'd like a PE, OHO locking main blade.
I wonder if any of these could be modded to get a second blade in?

EDIT: Wenger Ranger 58 looking good... :tu:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:04:15 PM by Syncop8r »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 06:37:37 PM
How about getting two knives. A fixed blade for big stuff and a smaller SAK for more of the finer work.
Like a Mora and Huntsman. Or something like it.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 05:30:04 AM
Your Laplander isn't that big- take it. I like the saws in my STs, Rebar and various SAKs, but they are for building tools and fine work, not cutting firewood.

And your firesteel shouldn't be built into the tool- how would you scrape it?

As for pliers, yes, take pliers. Either a multitool or just regular pliers. I often find myself asking why I bother. Then I have to take something off the fire, deal with a hundred year old fence, or something. Never had to pull porcupine quills, but I've dragged some wopper big thorns out of myself.

My recommendations are a LM Rebar or ST300 (sorry, the lack of updated cutters keeps the Wave out and the Surge is just too fat), or a Farmer, Huntsman, Hiker or OHT with a small pair of pliers (or a classic PST). 

But I also agree with the fixed blade recommendation. I trust my folders and multis with my life at times, but I also trust them to fail if too much force is put on them. Mora or CS Bushman, hard to get a 4"+ fixed blade for less than $30 that is any good but those two are pretty good. I also like the Old Hickory line for knives on a budget, but then you need to make a sheath.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 07:58:53 AM
The loadout I have used and recommend:

Saw: silkyboy

Knife: I usually go with one large blade(4-5 inch or longer if I intend to do a lot of chopping/clearing/batoning), along with a mid sized blade.

I do use and recommend Survive knives GSO4.1 or GSO5, and for mid size, 111mm OHO Trekker. 

There are probably a zillion choice to choose from, Mora, Survive Knives, Condor, Becker, Bark River, etc...I like all of them, but in terms of best value to performance, it's hard to beat a Mora, my favorite Mora is Bushcraft survival.  It has a good ferro rod and sharpening stone attached, thicker spine, black coated carbon steel, good balance in hand.  Really a great combo with a price point hard to beat.

Awl: (covered by Trekker)

Can opener: (covered by Trekker)

Ferro Rod: (covered by Trekker)

Plier-based MT: If you are driving, then absolutely.  If you are lugging everything with you, then I think one for the group is good enough.  Some do use them for handling pot lid, but I much rather to take my leather gloves with me, and it could be useful when doing wood processing.

Screw driver: (somewhat covered by Trekker)

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 08:17:49 PM
The Wenger Ranger 58 is a great knife for Hunting/Camping. no complaints at all 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 10:21:05 PM
As a stand along tool I do think a larger Vic is hard to beat, something like the Trekker, Forester etc.  The equivalent Wenger Ranger is also a good option, though a little thick for my taste.  The saw is hard to beat though.  My personal choice as a stand alone is the Vic Forester as I personally prefer the plain edged blade. 

All that said; most of the time I am spending the night out I'll have a bahco saw, a 4" fixed blade and light axe, plus a Huntsman as a back-up.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 08:42:38 AM
The Wenger Ranger 58 is a great knife for Hunting/Camping. no complaints at all
Mine will be here any day.  :mail:

I generally don't make fires when I go hiking (we call it "tramping" here) or mess with trees in other ways (yet) so prefer not to take a saw unless I know for sure I'll be using it. But the saw, knife etc on my Ranger will be on hand just in case. :)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 08:48:19 AM
As Nate said, it does go a lot with what else you have and what you really want to do. Personally I go with a SAK for the most part as it can be a stand alone tool. But then again many things can be like that with a little ingenuity

just don't forget...

Hey that's really not that bad of a idea. Yes I have been told I am redneck ish.
I'm the milk man!

jp Offline dork

Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 12:04:17 PM
Campers come with a driver instead of a corkscrew. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you're not always prepared, you're sometimes prepared.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 12:39:33 PM
I usually carry my 111mm gak or 08 soldier, wave usually in my backpack  :tu:

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 01:22:51 PM
I was hoping to be able to have some really good ideas to add here but the other members have really hooked you up. Personally, aside from my standard loadout, the rest is predicated upon whether or not I'm trying to go "lightweight" and how many miles I intend to cover on foot. I can't over emphasize the value of the aforementioned Mora/SAK combos. I don't hike without at least this combo in my pack and on my person, (redundancy) is good in this case. I also swear by a good folding saw.

I also take into consideration whether I'm actually hiking on foot or "car camping". Look closely at any Mora with a built in firesteel then back it up with a plier based MT. These various combos have served me well in the past in about any hiking/camping excursion. I also seem to almost always find myself in need of an awl for one reason or another. Good luck and remember, this is part of the fun. :cheers:

Stew...
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 09:53:15 AM
Oh I should really update this, but I was gonna wait until I had taken some good pics.
I got myself a Wenger Ranger 58 and I love it. (Nearly) Everything I want in one package.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 01:47:35 PM
Good to hear you got yourself sorted out with something.  As I said; I really liked my Ranger, but I found it a little too bulky.  But if it feels good in your hand then it's all good. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 11:33:39 PM
You know, it does feel the right size. I wouldn't want it any thicker though - one of the reasons I opted for one with no pliers.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 06:11:41 AM
Good to hear you got yourself sorted out with something.
+1.

You're stuck now, though; once you go SAK, you never go back.   :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 10:41:01 AM
Since I never posted pics:
DSCF0374.jpg
* DSCF0374.jpg (Filesize: 214.18 KB)
DSCF0375.jpg
* DSCF0375.jpg (Filesize: 191.96 KB)
DSCF0378.jpg
* DSCF0378.jpg (Filesize: 210.28 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 10:53:59 AM
And about time.  :tu:

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 05:35:40 PM
wenger ranger 78 or a gak will cover my needs. knife, saw, can-cap openers...  i do not need a plier based tool among trees.

00 Offline cool123

Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 11:45:51 AM
I think that the camping and hunting accessories are very necessary for if I would be going for some Hiking or camping. Self defence knives would be the best to be included in my Bug Out Bag.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 12:21:29 AM
I must have missed this thread first time round  :think: Might have been when I was away from the forum for a few months ...

But I personally think there are many options that would work well. As much as the BG pack with the Strata gets a lot of mocking, it is a rather complete kit that actually works quite nicely. That said it still probably wouldn't be my first option. Pliers are quite useful for pulling thorns out of soles, cutting and bending wire for improvising or fixing stuff, and also handling hot items. It's probably screwdrivers that are going to be less useful in an outdoors setting

Based on that, I'm going to suggest the Wenger Rangergrip 90:

Very visible tool if dropped in long grass or at night
Good grip in wet conditions
The most capable saw you are going to find on any multitool
Very capable one handed knife
Fantastic awl
Light to medium duty pliers
Can opener
Wood/Metal file with metal saw
... and still has screwdriver capabilities with standard hex bits

Yep, I think the Rangergrip 90 has everything you need for the outdoors, though a smaller SAK with scissors in the FAK wouldn't go amiss  ;) I'm very glad I managed to get one when I did  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD