Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Loadout for Hiking /camping tool?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Loadout for Hiking /camping tool?
Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 12:30:48 PM
Not too far off the Wenger Ranger 58 I got then.  :tu:
I decided early on that I didn't want pliers, although others may get more mileage out of them.
The main things are the big saw and decent blade. I made try to swap the gutting blade for something more useful (for me) one day.
I decided against a bit driver as one could easily lose the bits.

Hopefully I will get to use it on some hikes in the next couple of weeks.

00 Offline cool123

Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 11:42:32 AM
I do believe that the best camping knives should be put into the hunting accessories for your camping and hunting trips. These hunting accessories are very essential for hiking or trekking trips.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

00 Offline cool123

Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 06:21:57 AM
I would like to suggest to take along with you some good multitool knife which can be sued for multiple applications and gets into the pocket easily.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

00 Offline cool123

Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 07:07:58 AM
I usually carry during my outdoors trip:
1. Sleeping Bag
2. Best Survival Knife
3. Rope
4. food
5. Survival boots
6. Multitools
7. Machete
8. Survival kit

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 03:07:41 PM
you won't need pliers or bit drivers while camping. get a strong knife. i have a great collection, but i always i go with gerber bear grylls scout knife with sheath, trustable on field, i took skeletool cx or st 200 but i rarely took them out from my back pack.

00 Offline cool123

Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 06:11:23 AM
I suggest all the camping person, to carry some good camping knives.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 02:55:24 AM
As Nate said, it does go a lot with what else you have and what you really want to do. Personally I go with a SAK for the most part as it can be a stand alone tool. But then again many things can be like that with a little ingenuity

just don't forget...

:drool: :rofl: :gimme:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 04:45:09 AM

you won't need pliers or bit drivers while camping. get a strong knife. i have a great collection, but i always i go with gerber bear grylls scout knife with sheath, trustable on field, i took skeletool cx or st 200 but i rarely took them out from my back pack.

I've been a camper for many years.  I can't even begin to recall the multitude of times I've used full size pliers and since the 80's, multitool pliers when camping. It's true I don't use them frequently, but I do use them occasionally.  To me that's reason to always have them.  That's not even considering how great SAK pliers are as tweezers.  Try digging out cactus needles with a 6" camp knife and you will never go without some type of plier loaded tool again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #38 on: March 29, 2015, 08:06:15 PM

I've been a camper for many years.  I can't even begin to recall the multitude of times I've used full size pliers and since the 80's, multitool pliers when camping. It's true I don't use them frequently, but I do use them occasionally.  To me that's reason to always have them.  That's not even considering how great SAK pliers are as tweezers.  Try digging out cactus needles with a 6" camp knife and you will never go without some type of plier loaded tool again

:salute: :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: March 30, 2015, 12:06:23 AM
I've got to say that cactus needles aren't all that common a problem when hiking in Scotland. :D  Rain, yes.  Cactus, no.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #40 on: March 30, 2015, 12:15:57 AM
I've got to say that cactus needles aren't all that common a problem when hiking in Scotland. :D  Rain, yes.  Cactus, no.

I would take rain and cactus over poison oak any day. Hate that stuff.  :ahhh
I'm the milk man!

us Offline BASguy

Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 03:02:53 AM

I'm guessing the whole kilt thing would have never really taken off if you'd had these fellas growing out of the hills

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 04:08:53 AM
Get right gear , be prepare ahead , good to go
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 74.8 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 11:48:26 AM
Nice. I like that ferro rod.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 11:57:05 AM

Nate

My favorite fire rod.. Got signal , compass , thermometer , I add whistle  :drool:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 06:23:37 PM

I'm guessing the whole kilt thing would have never really taken off if you'd had these fellas growing out of the hills

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now there's a nasty thought! :o

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 10:15:28 PM

Nate

i just order another fire rod like that

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: March 30, 2015, 10:28:22 PM

If I look at the woods I end up with poison something. Every year!!! :rant:
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 01:31:29 AM

Snake bite? :think:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #49 on: March 31, 2015, 01:51:45 AM

Snake bite? :think:
I don't try to kiss them and they don't try to bite me.  However, rattlesnake is damn tasty.

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #50 on: April 10, 2015, 05:28:17 PM
I always carry a swiss camper and a leatherman rebar.. only thing ive used the lm for is to carve my and my wifes name on a big rock along a trail.
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: April 10, 2015, 06:08:38 PM
I always carry a swiss camper and a leatherman rebar.. only thing ive used the lm for is to carve my and my wifes name on a big rock along a trail.

What tool did you use on the rebar to carve on rock?

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #52 on: April 10, 2015, 06:12:57 PM
medium screwdriver
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #53 on: December 27, 2016, 11:58:58 AM
As handy as the pliers and the file of my older Gerber MP600 are, it weighs a lot.  If you are marching any distance remember that a once in the house is pound on the trail, so pack accordingly.  So far I have been able to get buy with my Victorinox German army issue knife.  A fire steel is a must have, but close at hand, not attached to a multi tool.  For a larger fixed blade knife I have a KaBar, I haven't used it in over ten years.  Every one loves Moras and they're fine, but I never saw the need to buy one.
  As far as bit drivers go I think carrying a bit assortment backpacking is inviting Murphy along for the trip.  Unless you absolutely need a bunch of small steel bits waiting to get scattered and lost don't bring them.  A bit driver is fine in a EDC bag that gets carried from the car to the shop, to the job site, to home.  Ask yourself, Do you really need a bit driver when you have screwdrivers all ready built into your MT?  What are you carrying with you that will requires a specialized bit?  Backpacking is the definition of simplicity.  If you don't need it, don't bring it.  Good skills will serve you better than extra tools.  There is nothing like the sense of pride and accomplishment felt after MacGyvering up a repair in the field with minimal tools.  The adventure is not having the coolest stuff, it's getting it done.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:46:57 PM by Scorpion Regent »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #54 on: December 27, 2016, 01:56:38 PM
Spirit and ready to go

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: December 27, 2016, 05:13:04 PM
As handy as the pliers and the file of my older Gerber MP600 are, it weighs a lot.  If you are marching any distance remember that a once in the house is pound on the trail, so pack accordingly.  So far I have been able to get buy with my Victorinox German army issue knife.  A fire steel is a must have, but close at hand, not attached to a multi tool.  For a larger fixed blade knife I have a KaBar, I haven't used it in over ten years.  Every one loves Moras and they're fine, but I never saw the need to buy one.
  As far as bit drivers go I think carrying a bit assortment backpacking is inviting Murphy along for the trip.  Unless you absolutely need a bunch of small steel bits waiting to get scattered and lost don't bring them.  A bit driver is fine in a EDC bag that gets carried from the car to the shop, to the job site, to home.  Ask yourself, Do you really need a bit driver when you have screwdrivers all ready built into your MT?  What are you carrying with you that will requires a specialized bit?  Backpacking is the definition of simplicity.  If you don't need it, don't bring it.  Good skills will serve you better than extra tools.  There is nothing like the sense of pride and accomplishment felt after MacGyvering up a repair in the field with minimal tools.  The adventure is not having the coolest stuff, it's getting it done.

I tend to agree although I'm not really a friend of the 111mm size from Victorinox, there's too much distance from my hand to the edge for my liking.
I would also add that it just might be worth it to  replace the screws on gear to avoid having to carry three different sizes of Torx.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: February 13, 2017, 06:35:24 PM
I'm going to side with the SAK guys. Find the model that best suits your needs. For me I really like to have my Swisschamp or a 111mm for the longer saw and file. The Swisschamp may be a little wide but you'll be hard pressed to find a more useful MT. Two blades a small but very useful saw, Metal saw\ file that works on every thing for finger nails to barbedwire fence,  Fish scaler believe it or not makes a good rangefinder and general all around poker, scissors for triming my nails, Small pliers for small repairs (I don't need anything bigger). I carry a small hank of wire for repairs and use the pliers to cut to length. On the keyring of all my SAK's I have a Firesteel toggle and use the back of the saw as a striker\scraper. And of course an awl and very useful small chisle on the back.

I don't use all the tools all the time but they're there when I need them.
IMG_20170213_085136.jpg
* IMG_20170213_085136.jpg (Filesize: 127.56 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

Offline lurkee

Reply #57 on: March 10, 2017, 03:40:24 AM
Hell yes I'd want the pliers. to be more exact, I'd want the wirecutters. Too damned many fences in the way, and wire is a wonderful resource.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #58 on: March 10, 2017, 08:57:38 AM
No need to do anything with wire where I go hiking.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: March 10, 2017, 09:50:57 AM
No need to do anything with wire where I go hiking.

plus the fact fences are often owned but someone. ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%