Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lets look at the PST, PSTII, Sideclip, Flair, Pulse, and Rebar.

Chako · 19 · 11028

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
I strongly hesitated about making this thread simply because I am not very knowledgeable on the PST variances, and if you have read through this thread...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5877.0.html

...you will know that there are a ton of differences. Instead of talking about all the differences, I will just refer you to the above thread, which is a collective bank of knowledge that I dip into quite often. I mean, who can remember all that! :D

What this will be is a sort of walk through the models that I do have, and some of my opinions, and plenty of photos. I will also try to identify each and every one of them using the above link. To make it even more interesting, I will also throw in a few more Leatherman models of the same size and shape.

So here goes. If I make any mistakes here, please find it in your heart to correct me. :D

The PST is the tool that started it all for Leatherman. As the story goes, Tim Leatherman was travelling abroad in a Fiat when he kept wishing he had something more than a pocket knife to help fix his vehicle. When he got back home, he came up with a prototype that didn't look anything like the final product. What it did however, was to cause him to pursue his idea which eventually morphed into the PST. Now the PST was a hard sell. Originally, Tim had a difficult time in finding a major buyer for his multi-tool, he did however sell the odd one or two at small gun/knife shows. This all changed when Cabela's came around and ordered Leatherman's first big sale. This order placed Leatheman on the map, and this would be around 1983, as that is the year when the PST first hit the shelves.

Although there were multi-tools before Leathermans PST, the PST (Pocket Survival Tool) did open up a lot of new markets eventually, and made the multi-tool cool again. With Leathermans quality and 25 year warranty, it definitely was a hot seller for many many years. Today, when you look at a PST, you can tell it is an old design. This is no more evident when you go to apply pressure on the handles. There are two edges that dig into the palm. With that said, the PST was slim, sleek, and beautiful in its stainless steel construction. It also had 14 functions packed into a small form factor. Yes, no matter how you look at it, the PST was a winner. Now long discontinued (2004), it is still being copied by other manufacturers...which is a form of high compliment.

Here is an early to mid 80's PST with Pocket Survival Tool stamped on one handle. This is a #2 on the PST Chronology Guide.

Surprisingly enough, Leatherman couldn't keep up with the demand of the PST once the train started rolling. In order to meet demand, Leatherman outsourced some of the PST construction to Japan. The easiest way to tell if your PST comes from Japan, all Japanese manufactured PSTs have larger fonts that say "Leatherman" than the smaller ones used for USA production. Personally, I have a soft spot for the Japan made PST. The larger font just makes them a bit more eye catching. Quality is excellent.

The following PST is a #3 on the PST Chronological Guide with the exception that my copy has US REG’D TM 1325473 stamped on the handle. Note the larger Leatherman stamped on one of the handles. Likewise, when we flip this PST over, we can see the hollow rivet construction.

This next is a #5 on the PST Chronological Guide.

I also have a pair of PST with US US REG’D TM 1325473 that do not feature hollow rivets. Not sure if these could be considered #5 on the Guide, or something earlier.

And a bonus shot of my 5 Japanese made PSTs.

And another showing a new in box Japanese PST dated to 1985 because that is what is on the label of the box.

Next up are two #7 on the PST Chronological Guide.

However, there is one major difference in outward appearances. One has flat edges, and the other has rounded edges.

The PST with rounded edges, also feature a cap crimper.

The flat bodied PST does not have the cap crimper.

Here is a later #9 to 10 on the PST Chronological Guide. It does not have a hard-wire notch in the pliers.

Next up are my 3 BO PST examples.

Here are the custom painted PSTs that I have in my collection.

The PST II arrived in 1996. It was an updated PST with a few new features. It added a very nice pair of scissors, and I must admit, I do like the older scissor design that folded in half. Also on tap was a new diamond coated file with a groove down the center perfect for sharpening hooks. I only have 4 PST IIs in my collection. One has PST II on one scale. All others have the same markings as the newer PST variation.  Note the bent flat head driver in the first PST II shown bellow. Likewise, note that the PSTII model also featured a serrated blade.

And the others are custom painted ones.

In 1998, Leatherman came out with a fairly unique multi-tool called the Sideclip. This tool is prized by collectors probably because of its unique construction. Each handle is two halves pressed together, as there is a seam running around the tool midway on its edge. The Sideclip also featured Leatherman's first pocketclip. There are two different variants. The more easily found bead blasted finish, and the rarer polished Sideclip. I have two older bead blasted Sideclips, and both feature Leatherman USA on the pliers. The newer polished Sideclip has Leatherman Tool on the pliers, and also features a newer more beefed up plier. In the following photo, you can't really tell the difference.

Angle the camera and the difference in finish is easier to see.

You can see the newer polished Sideclip on the right, with the two older bead blasted Sideclips center and left.

In 1999, Leatherman really got out of its comfort zone by producing the single most interesting plier based multitool of the Leatherman timeline, the Leatherman Flair. What set this tool apart, other than its unusual two toned finish, was its focus on the well heeled cocktail crowd. What other Leatherman features an Hors d'oeuvre fork, and a pate knife. To top that off, it also had Leathermans first corkscrew. You can think of the Flair as the father of the Juice line.

The following year (2000), Leatherman introduced the Pulse. Incidentaly, the Pulse came out a year before the larger Super Tool 200, both featuring the same locking mechanism. People either lover or hate the locking mechanism which is unique to both tools mentioned here. The locking mechanism features two unique roller levers. Many people complain that their thumb or fingers will slip off of them. There is truth in this statement, however, I find the locking mechanism beautiful.

In 2012, Leatherman introduced to the market a mini Super Tool 300 called the Rebar. The Rebar is added here simply because if shares the same general length as the other tools in this article. The Rebar is a very nice full featured multi-tool that has the same glove welcoming cutouts in the handles, and removable wire cutters as the Super Tool 300. In the following photo, I have a Texas Toolcrafter custom gold plated Rebar, a BO Rebar, and a stainless steel Rebar.

Well that concludes this short trip into some of Leathermans oldest and newest multi-tools.  :salute:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:00:27 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I must say, I am never happy with these type of articles...and this one took me a good 3 hours to make.  :facepalm:

ah well, I hope the photos do most of the talking.  ;)

us Offline hrvstmn31

Wow it takes that long regardless this is fairly useful info. It helps a lot to know about the tools so that you can spread the word about their usefullness as well as helping to choose a tool that suits somebody. Keep up the good work can't wait till the next installment. :tu:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
I must say, I am never happy with these type of articles...and this one took me a good 3 hours to make.  :facepalm:

A labor of love.Hahahahahahahahaha!

You're killing me brother.

For some weird reason I think I need a Flair.OMG.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
These are some of Leatherman's greatest tools. I think the most fun one to use is the flair. The fork is awesome!

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Hmmm...I was hoping for more on the Sideclip. Got a couple of them, would love to read more rambling on it out of pure self-interest. ;)

Great write up, and brilliant photos. Thanks for posting this Chako!
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Great write up Chako and the pictures always are terrific.  I love PSTs and the Flair is such a funky tool.  It seems like someone at LM had a few too many or stayed late in the shop messing about.  I really like it a lot but the JPSTs are my weakness.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Simply an excellent review/writeup!!! Thanks.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Not much left to talk about as far as Leatherman goes.

Let's see, I haven't talked about the Mini, or the various shears that Leatherman made. Did I do something on those sports specific pocket tools yet?  :think:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Mini!!!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

se Offline Mr Biriyani

As many have stated. I really enjoy these articles.

ca Offline Dem

Not much left to talk about as far as Leatherman goes.

Wouldn't fit in this specific subforum, but I bet you could do an awesome post about locking-plier based MTs.

Dem

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Another great write-up, thanks Dan  :tu:  :salute:

Yes please:  LM MInis and  locking-plier based MTs
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

I am bringing back this thread for the pics and the info :cheers:

I am always happy to see when you post a thread like this :tu: The pics alone are worth it IMO but you have info that many people (especially those beyond this forum) just don't have :cheers: I enjoy reading all of your threads like this as I always learn something from them.  It helps writing these sort of things when the tool you are writing about is right there for you to examine and I know you have a great deal of MTs to examine :D Keep up the good work (I know you have done many more of this type since this thread but it is always good to hear it) :D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Now I need to dig out my PST's and see if one of them is a Japan model.

Great article Wheelgunner.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

I am always happy to see when you post a thread like this :tu: The pics alone are worth it IMO but you have info that many people (especially those beyond this forum) just don't have :cheers: I enjoy reading all of your threads like this as I always learn something from them.  It helps writing these sort of things when the tool you are writing about is right there for you to examine and I know you have a great deal of MTs to examine :D Keep up the good work (I know you have done many more of this type since this thread but it is always good to hear it) :D

Thanks for reviving this beautiful thread, and a big thanks to Chako for making it.  :tu:
Glad to see the Rebar included, I love mine. And once the scissors get in, I'll love it even more.  :multi:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

Thanks for reviving this beautiful thread, and a big thanks to Chako for making it.  :tu:
Glad to see the Rebar included, I love mine. And once the scissors get in, I'll love it even more.  :multi:

Though I wished the Rebar had scissors and a diamond file I love mine :tu: It still has that bit of old school feel that made me want to carry the PST way back when :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

Though I wished the Rebar had scissors and a diamond file I love mine :tu: It still has that bit of old school feel that made me want to carry the PST way back when :cheers:

I'll put scissors in mine when I receive my package from loki.
I hadn't thought about a diamond file, but I am now.  :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

I'll put scissors in mine when I receive my package from loki.
I hadn't thought about a diamond file, but I am now.  :facepalm:

:rofl:

Glad I could help :pok: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56