Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Swisschamp and a Toy From My Childhood

us Offline DMA1965

My Swisschamp and a Toy From My Childhood
on: May 19, 2014, 03:20:32 PM
My mother passed away in March, leaving me and my brothers with a house full of stuff from our past.  I was going through boxes of all kinds of stuff my mother held onto (it seems she never threw anything away) and I found an old wooden Pinocchio doll I remember getting as a very small child (I was about 4 years old then).

The doll had some elastic bands that went through it, connecting the head, arms, and legs.  I had broken this as a child and my mother put it away, perhaps intending to fix it someday.  That was around 44 years ago.

I paused for a while with the pieces, and pulled out my Swisschamp.  I scavenged a spring from a ballpoint pen, and using the fish scaler and pliers, was able to get the ancient toy in working order within a short amount of time.

I hope mom was looking down from Heaven and smiling proudly at my ingenuity.  I was thrilled to have a great tool to help me relive my childhood memories.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: My Swisschamp and a Toy From My Childhood
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 04:01:25 PM
My mother passed away in March, leaving me and my brothers with a house full of stuff from our past.  I was going through boxes of all kinds of stuff my mother held onto (it seems she never threw anything away) and I found an old wooden Pinocchio doll I remember getting as a very small child (I was about 4 years old then).

The doll had some elastic bands that went through it, connecting the head, arms, and legs.  I had broken this as a child and my mother put it away, perhaps intending to fix it someday.  That was around 44 years ago.

I paused for a while with the pieces, and pulled out my Swisschamp.  I scavenged a spring from a ballpoint pen, and using the fish scaler and pliers, was able to get the ancient toy in working order within a short amount of time.

I hope mom was looking down from Heaven and smiling proudly at my ingenuity.  I was thrilled to have a great tool to help me relive my childhood memories.
Good on getting it fixed up, keep reliving those memories because it's all we have.

My sincerest condolences for the loss of your mom. I lost my mom in November and it's still very rough for me and my family!
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:24:08 PM
Sorry about your mother.
Good job on the doll.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 07:19:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your Mom  Pretty neat that the SC played a part in getting the toy together and reliving some fond memories.  I bet your Mom was smiling seeing you "playing" with it again.  Thank you for sharing this story. 
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:30:10 PM
Thank you for sharing this memory!
This sure gave you some closure. It is a tough phase in your life and if a SAK can help you that really brings a smile to my face.  :)

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 08:45:29 PM
Thanks for sharing that!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!