Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommend mini pliers to go with my SAK

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Re: Recommend mini pliers to go with my SAK
Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 09:11:29 PM

How are the small 6 inch Channel Lock tongue groove pliers to carry? I saw a pair of them and they are really carry friendly.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 10:48:12 PM

How are the small 6 inch Channel Lock tongue groove pliers to carry? I saw a pair of them and they are really carry friendly.

I posted a photo of Channellock 424 4-inch ignition pliers above.  They are considerably thinner and weigh much less than the 426 6-inch version you cited.  The 6-inch pliers weigh 5.2 ounces, midway between the weight of a Leatherman PST and Skeletool.

Though the Channellock 426 pliers are called 6-inch pliers, but they are actually a little longer.  The handles are 1-3/4 inches apart unless you set the plier jaws for a wider opening.  That brings the handles closer together and can make them easier to fit in a narrow area, but they are still a little large and heavy to carry in a jeans front pocket.

In contrast, the Knipex Cobra 87 01 125 pliers (shown in the previous post) are very comfortable for front pocket carry.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:51:24 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gb Offline nelson

Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 11:53:08 PM
I've posted this picture before, but if you are thinking a pliers-only pocket tool, the Knipex 87 01 125 Cobra pliers may be a possibility.  They are pictured below with a Spartan and a Micra for size comparison.  Pricey, but very high quality.  5" (125mm) and 3.05 ounces (85g).  Not your everyday Channellocks.

(Image removed from quote.)

+1 on the Knipex, these are a tremendous little piece of kit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 02:37:44 AM
The Channelock ignition pliers are cute , but the 6" Cobras are much more usefull . I often carry their 7" brother , and don't even know it's there .

Knipex stuff is badass , they'll spank you like a German Nanny , and the teeth grip like an East German Dominatrix .

To put it more seriously , I don't like having to apply power with pliers with jaws I don't trust . They are box joint , and stable , also quite lite .

Chris
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:44:22 AM by Styerman »

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #34 on: June 07, 2014, 05:55:36 AM
Plus with the Cobras you don't have to keep readjusting them  8)

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 03:52:35 AM
Do the channel locks require adjustments?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: June 08, 2014, 11:46:49 AM
I just discovered the Knipex Plier Wrench 86 03 125. Anyone have or used one?

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 04:05:45 PM
I haven't use this particular tool, the 8603125 (I didn't even know it existed in such small size) but have used the 300, 250 and 180mm versions. Great tools if you intend to us them mainly as wrenches or take advantage of their non-marring feature as pliers. I still think the Cobra is more versatile as a plier.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 01:18:53 PM
Thanks for the info mate. :cheers:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 06:11:48 PM
I have a 6" Plier Wrench , my only regret is , that I didn't buy a three piece set . Within it's size range it's put my adjustables out of work . Cant say enuff good about it . Knipex also sells a 6" Cobra+6" Plier Wrench + a nylon sheath . Make a heck of a good EDC set up .

Chris

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: June 14, 2014, 04:47:15 PM
I've posted this picture before, but if you are thinking a pliers-only pocket tool, the Knipex 87 01 125 Cobra pliers may be a possibility.  They are pictured below with a Spartan and a Micra for size comparison.  Pricey, but very high quality.  5" (125mm) and 3.05 ounces (85g).  Not your everyday Channellocks.

(Image removed from quote.)

Have you ever carried those three items as an edc combo? That looks like a perfect one to me!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD