Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help convert me to SAK... Please!!!!!

MGill · 73 · 5117

us Offline MGill

on: May 21, 2014, 12:31:46 PM
Ok folks the time has come for the little bird to spread his wings and leave his comfortable nest of Leathermans and venture out into the wild unknowns of SAKs. But I need guidance. And since the Swiss Army is fresh out of tutorials, I figure the cumulative knowledge found here on MTO is the next best thing.

I saw a Vic Cadet with black alox scales at my local Target and she caught my eye. I know that it is now a terrible time to pick up an alox habit but that thing was sexy!!! I understand the addiction side of it and I take full responsibility for my actions.

I think I am ready to get my feet wet. I just need to know the basics. What is desirable, what is not? I have an affinity for alox. But I don't know the difference in Vic and Wenger or any of the models. And what's with all this **mm garbage, that's all French to me.

If you were starting over with SAK where would you begin. I think as of right now I'm looking for more users than shelf queens. Once I get neck deep I may start searching out the rare discontinued models. But for now let's stick to the basics.

Alright guys there it is. Convince me why Saks are the cats meow. Why should I invest my time, money, and effort into them? Open my eyes to a whole new world. I'm like softened clay on the wheel of a master potter. Mold me as you see fit. :)

Thanks a ton guys and gals!!!!
-MGill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Help convert me to SAK... Please!!!!!
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:45:06 PM
Easy. Buy the Black alox Cadet and you will instantly understand. Simple as that.   :whistle:

The Cadet is a great and cost efficient way to get your feet wet with alox. I would say in the alox world of things the ones you should own for sure are the Cadet, Pioneer, and Farmer to start. The Cadet might be a bit small for some, but I find it to be adequate for most. With that said I prefer the larger 93mm line such as the Pioneer or Farmer.

Its late and I can't think correctly right now so I will leave you with that for now. I'm sure many people will weigh in with there recommendations. In the mean time there is still a killer deal on the Black alox Pioneer you should seriously consider.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/swiss-army-pioneer-black
I'm the milk man!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:53:19 PM
Ok folks the time has come for the little bird to spread his wings and leave his comfortable nest of Leathermans and venture out into the wild unknowns of SAKs. But I need guidance. And since the Swiss Army is fresh out of tutorials, I figure the cumulative knowledge found here on MTO is the next best thing.

I saw a Vic Cadet with black alox scales at my local Target and she caught my eye. I know that it is now a terrible time to pick up an alox habit but that thing was sexy!!! I understand the addiction side of it and I take full responsibility for my actions.

I think I am ready to get my feet wet. I just need to know the basics. What is desirable, what is not? I have an affinity for alox. But I don't know the difference in Vic and Wenger or any of the models. And what's with all this **mm garbage, that's all French to me.

If you were starting over with SAK where would you begin. I think as of right now I'm looking for more users than shelf queens. Once I get neck deep I may start searching out the rare discontinued models. But for now let's stick to the basics.

Alright guys there it is. Convince me why Saks are the cats meow. Why should I invest my time, money, and effort into them? Open my eyes to a whole new world. I'm like softened clay on the wheel of a master potter. Mold me as you see fit. :)

Thanks a ton guys and gals!!!!
-MGill

1) Go get it, period.  :D

2) I think the beauty of SAK is there exist some many different models, and based on what you need, you will probably find one that fits the bill perfectly.  I think for a 'user' tool, the best thing is jog down what you usually need most or what you'd like to have, then go to www.SAKwiki.com and find one that you want.

Victorinox and Wenger both are SAK makers.  While Victorinox has acquired Wenger a while ago, from 2014 and onwards, everything will be fully integrated together under Victorinox brand and Wenger will cease to exist as a brand.  Personally, Victorinox products usually has a tad bit higher quality than Wenger, but Wenger does offer something more innovative features on their tools.

3) Begin with the most basic models should be a very safe bet, Cadet is a fine choice.  Or get a Spartan or Tinker, which both are immensely popular.

4) If a knife/multitool maker exist for 125+ years, sold more than 20 million knives a year nowadays, and every knife has a lifetime warranty.  Meanwhile, most of their tools are genuinely priced fair and affordable with great Swiss precision, I think the brand needs no further ad. :climber:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 01:17:09 PM
Me, I would jump in and get a Swisschamp. Best SAK around, and has so many functions. Not alox, but that is ok.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 01:27:38 PM
To fall in love with a sak, just buy one, fiddle with it a bit, open it, close it, breathe in the sound, the quality, the design, carry it for a week, wonder how you used to live without one, than buy another one  :D

As said before, for the details go to Sakwiki and find out more
Vic:
-   58 mm nice Classic-type, pocket ones – thousands of scale designs
-   74 mm thin, longer ones, designed for suit-carry
-   84 mm a smaller option of 91 mm.. the Cadet and Bantam stand out here
-   91 mm the Officer series… Spartan/Tinker, up to Swisschamp and CT. Most of the saks around are in this category
-   93 mm most of the aloxes, hardier tools such as the Pioneer, old Soldier, Farmer
-   100 mm are the gardening tools, not really saks imho
-   108 mm are the German Army Knife-like range, not really saks either
-   111 mm are the locking blade ones. Generally linerlocks are black, slide-locks are red.
-   130, 85, 65 mm are basically rebranded Wengers

Wenger:
-   65 mm analogue to Vic 58 mm
-   85 mm analogue to Vic 91 mm (maybe 84 mm?)
-   120 mm the original Ranger Linerlocks
-   130 mm the current Ranger Linerlocks

EVERYBODY needs at least 3 saks: a 91/93/84/85 for pocket carry (you can’t go wrong with Vic Tinker, Camper, Swisschamp, Farmer or Wenger SI or Traveler), a 58/74/65 for keychain (highly suggest a Classic, Rambler, Signature) and something for the forest 111/130 (people love their Vic One Handed trackers and their Wenger Rangers).

PS: Most of the Wenger range isn’t dead, it’s be revived as the Victorinox Delemont range which has just started hitting the shelves.
PPS: I think Vic has currently over 300 sak types (probably almost 400 with the Delemont range) so have fun searching, finding, mixing, collecting.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 01:51:12 PM
Hands down a cadet is one of the best Alox to get started with, as captain said just get it and play around! You might want to get something a little bigger or something a little thicker, but as a all around the cadet is a must! It all depends on what you need, saks are one of the best things to get into cause there's one out there to fit your needs, when I was 12 I got my first sak but ended up switching to gerber/leatherman by 16, but after joining here some three years ago I went back to sak, and don't know why I even went to multitools in the first place? If you need a pair of pliers use pliers, cause I think I broke two multitool pliers cause there not made to be used for what I used them for.. But for the other tools on them you might as well just get a sak, half the weight too! If this makes no sence it's cause I'm not totaly awake yet, :P JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MGill

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 02:46:47 PM
For the first time SAKs are starting to make sense to me.:) I am assuming the millimeter designation denotes length. And the "layers" denotes the thickness?  I have been a die hard LM fan for as long as I can remember and I am NOT looking to replace my pilar based MT's. I'm just looking for something to make life more interesting. Maybe just something to stick in my front pocket, to pair with a LM in the tool lineup.

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 02:57:19 PM
For the first time SAKs are starting to make sense to me.:) I am assuming the millimeter designation denotes length. And the "layers" denotes the thickness?  I have been a die hard LM fan for as long as I can remember and I am NOT looking to replace my pilar based MT's. I'm just looking for something to make life more interesting. Maybe just something to stick in my front pocket, to pair with a LM in the tool lineup.

A good companion SAK like the Manager or Compact might start you down the slippery slope. :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 02:57:56 PM
If you like Alox, I'd say the Wenger SI is an object of utility and beauty;

Totally bombproof, pleasing to the eye and the awl is brilliant. An amazing design.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 03:07:49 PM
If you looking for a companion to your other MTs that cadet would be a very good place to start. It's very compact and light you'll hardly know you have it on you.  Just beware its hard to have just one SAK.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 03:14:40 PM
I am assuming the millimeter designation denotes length. And the "layers" denotes the thickness?

Exactly. They can go from 1 layer (Solo), 2 layers (the basic Spartan, Tinker), 3 layers (the edc-ideal Camper, Climber) to (everybody's favourite) Swisschamp's 8 layers, XXLT's 15 layers, and Wenger Giant's "I can't count that high" layers.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 03:19:56 PM
Start off with the Cadet, and chances are you'll be hooked.  Like magentus said, the SI would be a great one to get, or the Pioneer, or Soldier, or Farmer, or....

Red alox is also very sexy.  This is my old cross red Pioneer.

us Offline MGill

Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 03:21:38 PM

If you like Alox, I'd say the Wenger SI is an object of utility and beauty;

Totally bombproof, pleasing to the eye and the awl is brilliant. An amazing design.

Awl?? You are speaking my language. I think we have a winner that thing is gorgeous!!! I must have one NOW!!! :D

Offline RedRamage

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 03:21:56 PM
For the first time SAKs are starting to make sense to me.:) I am assuming the millimeter designation denotes length. And the "layers" denotes the thickness?

Correct.  However, "layers" as a unit of thickness is a touch misleading as different layers have different thicknesses.  A perfect example is scissors vs. pliers.  Both are just 1 layer, but the pliers is considerably thicker than the scissors.

I have been a die hard LM fan for as long as I can remember and I am NOT looking to replace my pilar based MT's. I'm just looking for something to make life more interesting. Maybe just something to stick in my front pocket, to pair with a LM in the tool lineup.

Okay... depending on what tools you have in your LM, I'd recommend one of the CyberTools because first... I love the CyberTool.  And second, I think it'll have a nice set of tools that you DON'T likely have on the LM.  The CyberTool 34 is a good option:
  • Layer 1: Two Knife blades (You likely have at least one blade on the LM, back side corkscrew + mini-screwdriver.  This screwdriver is GREAT for small screws like glasses and such.
  • Layer 2: Scissors
  • Layer 3: Pliers - Okay, these will never replace your LM pliers.  But they are very good for small jobs or as big tweezers.
  • Layer 4: Bit driver with 8 heads.  Having all these screwdriver heads in a small, easily pocket-able knife is a great thing to have.
  • Layer 5: Can Opener, cap lifter, screwdrivers, etc.  The cap opener's edge also works well for prying open tight seems, such as a watch back.
Then of course you have the scale tools: Tweezers, Toothpick, straight pin, and ink pen.

I think it does a nice job of backing a lot of function into a pretty small package and would compliment a LM nicely.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:31:14 PM by RedRamage »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 03:22:03 PM
[...] to pair with a LM in the tool lineup.

I suggest you look at the Alox Rambler* / MiniChamp / Classic (all Vic 58mm). They are tiny but packed with nice tools that complement a Wave / Charge well, like better scissors (in an easier to manage frame), nail file and a Hex-screwdriver** with more reach :rofl:

If you are willing to trade Cellidor for Alox you get not only very nice color options but also tweezer / toothpick / tiny LED light / tiny pen as options.

* Alox Ramblers are only produced by SwissBianco :-\
** Rambler and MiniChamp only
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 03:22:34 PM
For the first time SAKs are starting to make sense to me.:) I am assuming the millimeter designation denotes length. And the "layers" denotes the thickness?  I have been a die hard LM fan for as long as I can remember and I am NOT looking to replace my pliers based MT's. I'm just looking for something to make life more interesting. Maybe just something to stick in my front pocket, to pair with a LM in the tool lineup.

Yes, the millimeter refers to the length and the layers refers to how many "layers" thick the knife is.

If you are looking for something to complement your Leatherman the Cadet is a GREAT option.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 03:45:07 PM
Corwyns post was spot on.  Also check this out

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51610.0.html

When this deal comes around again JUMP ALL OVER IT.  If you decide to venture into..........  wait,  WHEN you decide to venture into non Alox then Chako nailed it, get a Swisschamp.  The bay of fleas has some great deals if you don't mind preowned.

I'd advise go a head and get the Cadet at target so you can experience immediately the joys of SAKgoodness.  I too am a LM die hard and cannot nor will not leave without a SAK to compliment my MT.  I love to pair my JPST with my Explorer and my BO Surge with either my Wenger Tradesman or Deluxe Tinker.  It really does seem that they  (SAK and MT) were made for each other.           
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MGill

Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 04:30:58 PM
I've got a tingly feeling like a kid on Christmas morning. I think I'm going to go by and pick up the cadet asap. I am working graveyard shift this week so it will likely be Friday before I can go by there. Please keep the suggestions coming. I am already adding to a wish list. Indeed this is a very slippery slope, and my thoughts of only getting my feet wet didn't last long. I'm crotch deep in alox and I love it. It's only money we'll make some more tomorrow. Hahahahaha.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 04:36:26 PM
I've got a tingly feeling like a kid on Christmas morning. I think I'm going to go by and pick up the cadet asap. I am working graveyard shift this week so it will likely be Friday before I can go by there. Please keep the suggestions coming. I am already adding to a wish list. Indeed this is a very slippery slope, and my thoughts of only getting my feet wet didn't last long. I'm crotch deep in alox and I love it. It's only money we'll make some more tomorrow. Hahahahaha.

You wont be disappointed  :tu:.  I'm a huge fan of the MiniChamp and the Alox MC looks like an amazing one to get along this slippery slope. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 04:58:23 PM
Based on your excitement and willingness to plunge into the SAK world, I can tell you're already doomed >:D ;) 

It all comes down to what you feel you need/want on a SAK.  I prefer to have scissors on mine.  Not everyone does though.  The Compact is a great basic SAK with a lot of function.  However, if you are stuck on Alox (and you seem to be), then it is far more limited, and the normal, stock models have all been suggested already.  This comes down to whether or not you care about the scale and back tools. 

My personal faves are the Explorer for cellidor models, and my custom Rogue for Alox.  That is another very slippery slope-customs. 

Welcome to the crazy world of SAKs my friend :cheers:  Your wallet will never forgive you now ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 05:03:04 PM
I EDC'd a cadet for about 2 years, then switched to the alox pioneer which I've been EDCing for about 2 years.

IMO, both are at the pinnacle of pocket knife design, with the Pioneer/Alox Soldier being the best.

My honest opinion is that Victorinox perfected the EDC slip joint knife in the alox soldier/pioneer.  Not that other knives and tools aren't useful or fun, but for me, the pioneer is all I need, everything else is just "jewelry."

Get the cadet, then get the pioneer cap't spaulding linked, and then leave this forum while you still have a savings account!  ;)  :gimme:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 05:06:46 PM
Based on your excitement and willingness to plunge into the SAK world, I can tell you're already doomed >:D ;) 

It all comes down to what you feel you need/want on a SAK.  I prefer to have scissors on mine.  Not everyone does though. 
:whistle:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 05:17:44 PM
Cadets are a nice size sak with good tool set. 

The Pioneer is also very nice and there is a deal on them right now if you look at the "US Ebay Finds" or one that states "3 Pioneers for only ....", you can get one for only $13, which is a great deal and even better if you buy more than one!

:)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 05:21:01 PM
Yeah Derek, as I said, that's when you got it bad ;)  I'm already formulating a plan to merge my Rogue and Mechaneer in some form ::)
K-Tibbs

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 05:25:12 PM
Yeah Derek, as I said, that's when you got it bad ;)  I'm already formulating a plan to merge my Rogue and Mechaneer in some form ::)
Hmmm, a Rogueaneer.  :D  :popcorn:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 05:31:58 PM
If you smoke cigars...get the Pioneer/Farmer/Soldier!    :cheers:

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 05:44:35 PM
Hmmm, a Rogueaneer.  :D  :popcorn:

I was thinking MechaRogue:)  This won't happen until next tax refund season.  That's the only time I can afford customs.  I wish I could just do it myself so that I could do it whenever I pleased.  Oh well.  When it does happen though, I think it may be a bit of a beast...
K-Tibbs

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 07:02:18 PM
Everyone has different needs and people's taste tend to differ. The best advice I could offer is go here and pick what suits you best...
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php
If your going Alox your between 84mm, 91mm, and 93mm. Sticking in the realm of mostly 2 layer SAKs. Most 3 layer Alox's (which aren't the most common) only add a wood saw.

As for Wenger vs Victorinox, I'm biased towards Victorinox, but you may find you like Wenger.

My second piece of advice unless your fixed on getting an Alox is to go on Ebay and find a used lot of SAKs with various models to find out what tool set best fits your needs.
Plus it'll leave you with some gifts to convert others...

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 07:28:16 PM
Big SAK fan here, but as always with SAKs, taste differs. I personally don't like the scales on the 84 mm alox series, like the Cadet and the Bantam. I think they are too thin, making them somewhat uncomfortable and the esthetics suffer. For someone coming from the Leatherman world, I would recommend going for a two or three layer 93 mm, like a Soldier, Farmer, Harvester, whatever. Also, it's the 93 mm you have to go for to get the awesome inline awl.

But frankly, every SAK have fans.

– Steinar, with a Vic Ranger (91 mm, five layers) in my pocket right now

us Offline MGill

Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 04:34:01 AM
Ok so I've been looking online and I think I really like the Pioneer/Soldier models. I really like the lanyard attachment on the Soldier. I've noticed only silver scales though. Am I missing something or is that the only option?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD