Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I want a big Wenger

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
I want a big Wenger
on: May 22, 2014, 01:06:57 PM
Sorry, I 'm sure that must have been done before...

I'm completely new to SAKs but the Wenger Ranger has caught my eye.
I like the Rangergrip handles - how much better are they?
I like the Rangergrip 78, but I would like a second blade. Or the ability to put one in.
The Ranger 58 has a second blade, but not the rubberised grip.
Also, I have seen a Ranger 56 cheap here (well, cheap for here).
The Victorinox Rangergrips also have a toothpick and tweezers.

So basically I can't quite find exactly what I want. Unless it can be modded?
Arrrgh what to do.....

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: I want a big Wenger
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 01:29:19 PM
You want the Mike Horn. Not only does it has 2 blades, it has the best looking / feeling handles of them all.
But be warned the Rangers are gigantic in size!
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 05:15:46 PM
All of life is a quandary. LOL

It' s good to have choices.

The Ranger series is big and that's why I like them,something different from the usual SAK's.

Ranger Hunter 58 at the top of pic.

DSCN0920.JPG
* DSCN0920.JPG (Filesize: 212.24 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 06:30:14 PM
Be advised that the "gutting blade" or however it is called, found on some Ranger models (like the Ranger 57-58 or the Sabla in the above picture) is not really a "second blade" and its point is rounded.
Instead, as pointed by Etherealicer, the Mike Horn has a "real" second blade

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 08:04:29 PM
The second blade,on the Horn model,also has a rounded point.

500x446_Mike Horn Ranger.jpeg
* 500x446_Mike Horn Ranger.jpeg (Filesize: 19.98 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:32:24 PM
The second blade,on the Horn model,also has a rounded point.

Yes, you are very correct!
I forgot about the rounded blade tip on the Mike Horn  :-[

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 08:03:20 AM
Thanks guys! I don't really want a gutting blade as my second blade, but if I got one with it I believe that gives me another layer with which to mod in a different blade?
My initial thoughts were to have a smaller second PE blade for finer stuff (the main blade will be more for whittling wood etc); now I'm wondering if it should instead be a serrated blade.
This will be my hiking/camping knife.

Ranger Hunter 58 at the top of pic.
How do you find it?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:05:55 AM by Syncop8r »

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 08:22:03 AM
Am I the only one who was underwhelmed by the Rangers?
With all the praise they got around here I figured they’d blow my Vics out of the water (especially as they are far more expensive) but…
The handles feel cheap (mine is regular plastic, not Evogrip) and far thicker, ergonomics is actually worse than Vic’s – doesn’t feel as natural in hand, the OHO is not as good as Vic’s, the snap is almost non-existant, the locking on the caplifter is not as nice and I think they are just a tad too long. Also Rangers don’t have T&T.

What I did like is that they generally don’t have the silly serrations and the button-release is great (though it’s not all fine-tuned as it could be (button slips a bit and you have to push it just right to move the liner.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 09:30:18 AM
Yeah I wish I could have T&T. But the blade release for the Vic is one of the main things putting me off them.

us Offline DMA1965

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 09:54:47 AM
That's what she said

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 02:27:23 PM
Yeah I wish I could have T&T. But the blade release for the Vic is one of the main things putting me off them.

It scared me a bit at first too, but it's not that bad once you get accustomed to it. I cut myself a few times closing it, but than again, I cut myself with the Wenger too.
Now I can close the Vic one-handed with either the left or right hand faster than fumbling with the Wenger button.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 03:21:14 PM
I have the Rangergrip 78 and the Hunter 59 with a phillips instead of the corkscrew.  I also own the Vic OHT serrated and non serrated knives.

I like all of them but the Vics carry easier in the pocket.

Offline D. Somerset

Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 05:15:54 PM
Am I the only one who was underwhelmed by the Rangers?
With all the praise they got around here I figured they’d blow my Vics out of the water (especially as they are far more expensive) but…
The handles feel cheap (mine is regular plastic, not Evogrip) and far thicker, ergonomics is actually worse than Vic’s – doesn’t feel as natural in hand, the OHO is not as good as Vic’s, the snap is almost non-existant, the locking on the caplifter is not as nice and I think they are just a tad too long. Also Rangers don’t have T&T.

What I did like is that they generally don’t have the silly serrations and the button-release is great (though it’s not all fine-tuned as it could be (button slips a bit and you have to push it just right to move the liner.

I have to disagree in more than one point here. While the grips on the ranger are quite thick, they are IMO WAY better ergonomics-wise than the Vicxs., unless you get into the really big models, in which case the thick handle might be a problem for those with smaller hands (but that's a very fixable problem). As far as construction (of the scales) goes, both are in the same league. The rubber on the RangerGrip does peel a bit in the release button (logo) area, so that is something to keep in mind. The screwdriver/cap lifter locking mechanism works very well, and it's just different (to vicx); however to say that it 'a tad too long' is a bit puzzling to me. How can having more reach (in an already limited length tool) not be a good thing? (the [even] longer one on the swiss tool is a major advantage). The OHO is about the same IME, though I must admit that in one of  my Rangers  (88 rescue), the blade was very stiff when it arrived (now it's totally fine). The unlocking button mechanism on the Wenger is a much better design and one of its biggest advantages. The T&T I  do miss (I know the new Vic Delemont models have them), though the bit slot on the handle makes up for it (and although limited, works much better than I thought). Size-wise, they both have their +'s and -'s.  The one tool that automatically makes a ranger bulky is the pliers, since they are much bigger (and much more capable than standard vic plier), so that is something one should know. In the end, I'd give the ranger the overall edge in the the "big SAK" category (this coming from a lifetime vicx user).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:21:27 PM by D. Somerset »

Offline D. Somerset

Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 05:31:51 PM

I give you Godzilla . . .
2014-04-02-525 - Copy.jpg
* 2014-04-02-525 - Copy.jpg (Filesize: 262.61 KB)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 06:46:00 PM

I want one. How well dose the bit driver work?
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 08:32:08 PM
I liked them too from internet pics but now I think that a Surge/Wave/Charge has two OHO blades, saw and file, drivers and might have scissors or awl too with better ergonomics for the pliers at least. So such a multi seems a better option. Even a Spirit with a Delica or similar blade is a great alternative.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 09:20:16 PM
I have several Rangers in stock. Just put "ranger" in the search box.  http://www.edcsource.com/auction_search.php
T

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 11:07:55 PM
I saw 4 Rangers in a shop window the other day. Giants seems the correct word to describe them.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 12:19:12 AM
I like all of them but the Vics carry easier in the pocket.
It will be worn on the belt or in my pack so not I'm worried about being big - I want the big blade and saw :)

I decided to go for a SAK as opposed to a Leatherman as I don't think I want pliers (yes, I know they may have their uses when camping). I'm finding it hard to love the pliers on some of hose Rangers...

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 12:47:04 AM
I like these SAK's for hunting.
DSCN0972.JPG
* DSCN0972.JPG (Filesize: 181.4 KB)
DSCN0973.JPG
* DSCN0973.JPG (Filesize: 188.71 KB)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 12:49:38 AM
This is the latest model that I'm looking to purchase.
$_57.JPG
* $_57.JPG (Filesize: 53.06 KB)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 12:52:14 AM
thumbnail.php.jpeg
* thumbnail.php.jpeg (Filesize: 33.37 KB)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #22 on: May 24, 2014, 12:59:41 AM
Is there a Rangergrip with PE OHO blade, awl instead of corkscrew, and the extra blade (so similar loadout to the Ranger 58 or like a Rangergrip 78 with an extra blade [layer] )?

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 01:08:25 AM
Is there a Rangergrip with PE OHO blade, awl instead of corkscrew, and the extra blade (so similar loadout to the Ranger 58 or like a Rangergrip 78 with an extra blade [layer] )?

The only one I could find that closely approximates your requirements is this model.Ranger Grip 86-East Ranger.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 24, 2014, 01:15:50 AM

Here is a link to the Wenger site with all the rangers listed.

http://www.wengerna.com/ranger

Offline D. Somerset

Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 01:31:24 AM

I want one. How well dose the bit driver work?

Actually, they work better than expected. Granted, it's limited in terms of reach, but the torque you get is great.

Offline D. Somerset

Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 01:41:45 AM

The only one I could find that closely approximates your requirements is this model.Ranger Grip 86-East Ranger.

This model is IMO the best in terms of tool set and comfort (and one of only three ranger models with the huge length metal saw). It's basically a ranger 95 without the pliers (and hence, much slimmer).The tricky is getting one. It was designed for the eastern European market only.

Being the owner of an 88 rescue and a 58, I compare both quite a bit and though the pliers are quite handy (the ergonomics are better than they seem) they bulk up the knife a lot, that is why if I don't end up using the pliers much, I might slim down my 88 by taking them out, and essentially turning it into a better version of the 86 (Mike Horn reamer instead of the corkscrew).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:50:10 AM by D. Somerset »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 03:14:14 AM
I don't need a metal saw/file for camping (I hope) - I'd rather have a second PE or SE blade.

1) How how hard would it be to make slots for adding toothpick and tweezers?
2) How hard would it be to add another layer?(I'm guessing quite hard) Could that layer hold two small blades, one at each end?

Jeez I'm a difficult bugger...

Offline D. Somerset

Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 08:46:01 AM
I don't need a metal saw/file for camping (I hope) - I'd rather have a second PE or SE blade.

1) How how hard would it be to make slots for adding toothpick and tweezers?
2) How hard would it be to add another layer?(I'm guessing quite hard) Could that layer hold two small blades, one at each end?

Jeez I'm a difficult bugger...

No worries, I am one as well (for some things).

Here's one of the few people that has actually heavily modded a Wenger Ranger and has a record of it (albeit not in detail). I tried to contact the guy, as I had a couple of ideas in my head, but he hasn't replied so far (probably due to the fact that you can't sent private messages if you are not a paying member [of this other site])

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1054483-Mike-Horn-Ranger-my-way?p=13371723#post13371723

PS: According to your screen name, I take it you are a musician (most likely a percussionist). Cool (if so)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:51:43 AM by D. Somerset »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 12:38:01 PM
Here's one of the few people that has actually heavily modded a Wenger Ranger and has a record of it (albeit not in detail)...
PS: According to your screen name, I take it you are a musician (most likely a percussionist). Cool (if so)
Haha, yep, used to be a drummer, now I play bass in a Funk band so syncopation is my thing ;-)
Thanks for the link!
I think what I'll do is just get a Ranger 58, then one day when I'm feeling brave I'll do the mods: change the gutting blade to something else and make some wooden scales with a slot for T&T!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%