Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New magnifier

Offline Brewer

New magnifier
on: May 28, 2014, 01:35:45 AM
I'm probably going to get a new SwissChamp or Explorer to use as a base for my custom build.

From what I understand, the new magnifier is a single glass component (presumably using a modern type of glass for durability). Trouble is, it looks exactly like the last version, which was all plastic.

Any way to ensure I'm getting the new one? Did they change any model codes at all? Any easy way for a retailer to be able to answer the question if I email them?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: New magnifier
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:42:23 AM
I'm probably going to get a new SwissChamp or Explorer to use as a base for my custom build.

From what I understand, the new magnifier is a single glass component (presumably using a modern type of glass for durability). Trouble is, it looks exactly like the last version, which was all plastic.

Any way to ensure I'm getting the new one? Did they change any model codes at all? Any easy way for a retailer to be able to answer the question if I email them?

Its hard to tell visually, but if you are able to touch the SAK, even slight pressure on the glass pops it out of the holder so its easy to tell that way.

All the big retailers Ive bought from in the last half year all sold me the newest glass version. Amazon etc.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline Brewer

Re: New magnifier
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:27:15 AM
Hi Syph, thanks.

So there is a round glass element that pops out of a clear plastic frame? I didn't realise that, I thought perhaps new manufacturing techniques allowed them to cut and shape the whole tool out of a single piece of toughened glass.

Here in Aus it would take me a week to find 3 tools, and they'll all be old stock, guaranteed. I also don't think Amazon will ship knives, but I'll try.

It's a shame there's no easy way to tell the difference. Sounds like I'll just have to roll the dice and order from busy eBay sellers!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%