Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What manner of BS is this???

PTRSAK · 15 · 1989

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
What manner of BS is this???
on: May 18, 2014, 10:39:01 PM
So eBay is now my nanny?

Since when does a blunt-nose MP600 count as a restricted import into Australia or a restricted export from USA?
The shipper lists shipping to Australia but eBay pops up this deiightful message...

:rant: :rant:
BS.JPG
* BS.JPG (Filesize: 30.4 KB)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: What manner of BS is this???
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:51:20 PM
Welcome to the eBay International Shipping Program. I don't think many sellers are aware that once they sign up for this trashy and expensive to the buyer program, it prevents a lot of selling. Same goes for Canada. If a seller is using this program, I can't buy Leatherman products from them (I haven't tried Gerber, but now that I know what to look for, I don't bother buying from sellers who are on this). I looked hard and deep into all the EULA associated with this program, and it basically says they can restrict items at their own will with no rhyme or reason.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:13:47 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 10:59:24 PM
I am familiar with this screen. AFTER eBay tells me how much teh shipping fees and calculated cuzstoms fees will be, they will not let me complete teh buy...Smurfing smurfholes full of smurfing ideas to protect me... :rant:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 11:10:14 PM
How much are they? Have it sent here and pick it up on your way past...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 11:34:50 PM
I don't want to sound like a broken record, :bdh: but this is exactly why we started EDCSource.  A free marketplace shouldn't be strangled by regulations and restrictive policies.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 11:49:31 PM
Hi PTR

Yeah as Chako hints - I think this issue is a problem specific to the seller (and you as a buyer) rather than ebay in general.

I had this message once and contacted the ebay help desk.
They told me for 'privacy reasons' (Ha, ha), They could not tell me what the problems was  - Hmmm very useful!
However if I contacted the buyer they could remove this restriction for me.
(They also said  if the seller did not know what to do - she should contact her local ebay help desk to help resolve it).

I duly contacted the seller and it all got resolved successfuly. But lots of hassle and a bit of worry, as I really wanted the item.  :D

Cheers

PS. Shipping shortly.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 12:05:21 AM
Welcome to the eBay International Shipping Program. I don't think many sellers are aware that once they sign up for this trashy and expensive to the buyer program, it prevents a lot of selling. Same goes for Canada. If a seller is using this program, I can't buy Leatherman products from them (I haven't tried Gerber, but now that I know what to look for, I don't bother buying from sellers who are on this). I looked hard and deep into all the EULA associated with this program, and it basically says they can restrict items at their own will with no rhyme or reason.

Oh is THAT what that is.  I avoid any auctions that use the global ship program anyway.  Double shipping cost for no benefit.. no thanks!

I used to sell a lot of stuff on ebay, but theyve jacked up their fees so much now I really cant stand using them.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:38:55 PM
I don't want to sound like a broken record, :bdh: but this is exactly why we started EDCSource.  A free marketplace shouldn't be strangled by regulations and restrictive policies.

Def
Exactly!

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 02:08:24 PM
Yes, I did the same once as I really wanted the item, and the seller clearly stated he shipped to Canada. When I told him I was prevented from buying his good, he was shocked. He quickly got off that stupid eBay program and we were able to complete the transaction.

Not sure what the attraction for a seller is with this program, but for a buyer, to quote a commercial, "it comes from the bowls of the netherworld."

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 03:49:36 AM
Couldn't agree more with the other posters.  I'm also in Canada and when I see that little blurb:

"No additional import charges at delivery!
This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking."

I look no further.  Even if the price including all the extra bs is good I just won't buy.  Most of the time the item would not be assessed customs and taxes (if it's of lower value) so I wonder if the money being assessed goes to our government or if it goes to ebay?

John.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 03:53:59 AM
I say eBay.  >:D

Offline Glofindel

Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 11:27:12 AM
that happens to me all the time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 02:37:48 PM
Nice to see, that I'm not the only one that frequently runs into this problem. I can't even begin to count how many times I've been swearing at that screen, for not letting me bid on the exact tool I wanted at a great price.

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 02:53:47 PM
You want to try ebay UK!
Even if I try to bid on ebay.com or any other Countries ebay I get a warning from ebay UK accusing me of attempting to bypass ebay UK no knife policy!

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 12:49:59 PM
You know, a couple towns over from me here in Spamistan, there's an REI outlet with a big ol' wall full of Leatherman, Gerber and Swiss stuff.  Anybody want anything?
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26