Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fibromyalgia

Zed · 74 · 3298

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Fibromyalgia
on: May 31, 2014, 08:53:59 AM
I suffered with this for a few years now but only diagnosed 2months ago,its been crippling some days and im now the opposite to how i was,walking and cycling wipe me out for hours afterwards and i ache something chronic, other symptoms include memory loss and depression, im on tablets that i had upted after 2 weeks,ive put on a stone and a half and this doesnt help  :-\ im hoping to get back on my bike and fight this but at the moment feels like a uphill battle,its amazed me how many people have Fibromyalgia does anyone here or know anyone suffering with this illness  :salute:

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: Fibromyalgia
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:30:49 AM
Sorry to hear this Paul.

I don't know anything about this condition. I have done some reading on it and it is unpleasant.

The NHS site contains some further details, including links to support groups that you may find useful.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Fibromyalgia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Whilst there is no cure, hopefully you will find a course of treatment that will help you manage the condition and get back to your normal life as much as possible.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:42:15 AM
Thanks mate  :salute: its amazing how now im the oposite to how i was  :-\ i use to be very fit with a high pain threshold and now im unfit and ache and feel so tired,but im determined to get fitter and lose the weight again, depression is another big part of my problem and came to a bad point 10 months ago,changed meds recently so fingers crossed  :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:01:14 AM
smurf Paul! Hope the medicos can sort this out and get you back to yourself!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 10:38:19 AM
 Paul this saddens my heart to read BUT I know several people with this foul condition (mostly women funnily  :think:) I think even my better half has been tested for it. As unpleasant as it is, most seem to find a way to carry on (and fair play to them  :clap: ) so I'm sure if you stay strong mentally you will achieve any goals you set yourself.
it seems strange to me how common this disease is, yet only a few years ago I'd not heard of it  :think: there does seem to be something going on with modern humans I feel that should worry us all. when I was a kid (yeah yeah I know "hundreds of years ago"  :whistle:) hardly anyone had things like Asthma or nut allergies  :think: yet now they are common !
One thing I have been told about this 'fybromywotsit' ~ it is unfortunately one of those 'hidden' conditions, because you won't get a 'rash' or visible symptom to show people, there will be those who are unsympathetic and just poo-poo your suffering, be prepared !
Remember you have many good friends here and we are with you buddy   :tu: 

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 10:39:45 AM
My ex wife had it and she had similar issues mate. She was pretty proactive about it and said that the number one thing you need to do is find a doctor who's knowledgeable and sympathetic about fybro as not all the medical establishment believe it exists or have a god understanding of it.

She also joined a lot of Facebook and forums dedicated to fybro and its sufferers.

As for medical help, once she found a knowledgeable doctor she did get a balance of drugs that helped her no end and gave her back some of the quality of life before she died.

She did get down about it from time to time, but despite our differences she was a fighter and that's what got her through the tough days. A positive attitude will make a difference mate :)

As for cycling I feel your pain! Since my disc went in my back I've struggled big time with cycling any sort of distance without beating myself up :( The trick I've found is changing your riding habits and the bicycle as well :)

More upright bikes and granny gears are the way to go mate I'm afraid :D Road bikes killed my back as did an upright Pashley Parabike I had bizarrely! My Brompton was always fine though so I recently bought a Ridgeback Expedition and now I can ride about 20 miles before pain really sets in :) Electric Bicycles might be an option too :)

Just remember nothings hopeless mate, you just need to change and tweek a few aspects in your life to make things work for you and try not to let it beat you :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 11:28:08 AM
A friend of ours in Liverpool suffers from this. She has her moments when it's really bad too.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 11:48:40 AM
Thanks guys  :tu: I'm not one to post my problems but thought there possibly some members or friends or family suffering this illness :salute: im having a bad day today but I'm out with my family and got a busy day, I'm off work till Tue as been on holiday, oddly I feel more tired  :think: possibly I'm better when I'm busy as takes my mind off it,power of the mind is a powerful thing and has given me great strength in the past to climb the highest climbs ,I just need to get it back  :-\

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 01:20:42 PM
Don't be hard on yourself mate, it takes time to bounce back from stuff like this. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 03:14:01 PM
Wishing you the best Paul. Hang in there.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 03:56:38 PM
Take care of yourself buddy. I hope you get the best possible treatment and recover the best way possible :tu:
SAW

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 07:19:00 PM
Oh mate this brings sadness to my heart!! I wish you all the best in this struggle!!

Don't let it without fight!!

I'm sending you good vibes mate!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 08:01:35 PM
I'll echo what edcgear said and also tell you that my wife has this. She treats it naturally no matter how much I try to get her to get some meds. She has been a paramedic for 19 years now and refuses to take meds. 3 things that help her, and believe me she suffers badly are the following.
#1- We spent $9,000.00 on an adjustable bed and the best mattress that money can buy, she loves it and says it helps. Oddly enough , I hate it but I had fun breaking it in"! :rofl:
#2- She gets weekly massages from a very experienced and reputable massage therapist. This therapist can locate and reduce the size of the knots in her back that comprise the ailment.
#3- She also uses to great effect,"Arnica" gel and oil. She also uses "young living" oils  and rubs both on the area that hurts the worst and along with a heating pad and a bed that's worth more than my life, she can get some relief.
There are a lot of treatment options on line that actually are very helpful. Please know this, when you need help, I'm not going anywhere, neither is edcgear or any of the others who posted in this thread.
Family first,
Stew...
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 08:13:41 PM
One more thing Paul. If you can't find "Arnica" gel or "young living" oils over there, just PM  me and I will get you some and send them to you.
I'd be happy to help,
Stew...

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 08:24:16 PM

One more thing Paul. If you can't find "Arnica" gel or "young living" oils over there, just PM  me and I will get you some and send them to you. Also with regard to the depression. I have been a crisis/hostage negotiator, with actual experience for over 12 years now as a result of my profession. Sometimes an outside perspective helps. If you find yourself in a bad place, PLEASE PM me and I will send you my personal home and cell number. We can talk all day and all night if it helps.
Sincerely,
Stew...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:25:53 PM by scattergun13 »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 08:25:12 PM
Thanks G and stew and you all  :salute: my doc is great and known me for over 12 years and knows how fit i was,i got him into cycling after his wife sadly died aged 46  :-\ he is a nice guy,im going back next week as having bad mood swings and generally feel worn out,this forums kind words mean alot to me,been busy today as me and my wife and girls (and dog lol) went too burly for the day,we all had a great day and now all tired ,hopefully my doc can help some more next week,i dont mind taking meds if they help so fingers crossed  :salute:

Thanks stew :tu:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:26:43 PM by Zed »

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 08:28:36 PM
I think I can speak for the group when I say, it was our pleasure brother. We'll be here tomorrow, and the next day and the next week, next month , next year and so on. Use us wen you need to.
Respectfully,
Stew...

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 10:56:02 PM
I hope the best Zed. Talk with your doctor about SNRIs  and Pregabalin. They might help.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 11:33:22 PM
I hope the best Zed. Talk with your doctor about SNRIs  and Pregabalin. They might help.

Will do  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 02:32:13 AM
First off, Zed I'm sorry you are going thru this, my heart hit the floor this morning when I read this.

Secondly, Thank you for sharing such a personal matter with the lot of us.  I'm glad you did as it is a huge show of strength on your part.  I know sometimes we men feel the need to be strong day in and day out especially when we have families.  We have our crap days and days when we want to cry out " Give me a flipping break!" but we don't.  I'm glad you are seeking help and will take the needed measures to get yourself aligned   

I had a bout of depression a few years back and man was it ever a struggle to free myself.  I didn't speak about it to anyone simply because I had to be the strong one for my family and honestly pride.  I was lame to battle it solo cause boy was I wrong!  It's tough when you make a go of it by yourself so good on you for getting help.  You are doing the right things, one thing worked for me was to continue to do the things that brought me joy.  I also said a simple mantra every morning and when I was feeling bleh which helped a lot. 

I'm sending you all the positivity you can handle brother.   You hug your girls tight and remember you will get thru the tuff times with their love and your determination.  Fight on!         
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 04:02:06 AM
Paul, I truly am sorry that you are going through this.  You are such a strong and positive person, so I think you can kick this in the ass!  I, along with everyone else here supports you to the absolute fullest!!!  Stay strong my friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 04:22:06 AM
Sorry you are going through this Paul :(  I have a buddy who seemed to be suffering from this a few years back.  He had been struggling with a lot of pain as you described, but the docs couldn't figure it out.  He mentioned the term Fibromyalgia, and I think it was sort of new at the time, but I'm not sure.  Anyway, I don't know for sure if that's what he has as I don't see or talk to him often anymore. 

I will keep you in my prayers buddy, and stay strong :salute:
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 09:31:26 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts it means a lot to me ,sadly ive battled depression for around 20 years,tried tablets after my divorce 12 years ago but didnt seem too work, hit a very low patch last year so felt i needed tablets,changed them recently due to docs diagnosis so still getting use to them with a few side effects,bit the wifes head off sat and i felt terrable so had to tell her how i was feeling that day and like she said she cant help if i dont talk about it ,today we are going to a huge carboot sale and then a american car show,fingers crossed theres a 69 charger there  :ahhh:drool: thanks again everyone.  :salute:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 12:09:37 PM
Nobody should fear antidepressants for treating his Major Depressive Episode. Just remember that they offer a ~ 2/3 of the outcome (this is a mean value, 100% for some and 0 for others) . The rest is provided by support of significant others, CBT and life changes.
I fight depression of others for 20 years and I feel that I need support too from time to time. Life is wonderful but might seem unbearable when you hurt or are tired or burned out. You just have to remember that it can become nice again if you try to remove obstacles and live it again. As always, it is better to have the right tool and know how to use it, otherwise call a pro.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:11:25 PM by kkokkolis »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 05:04:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts it means a lot to me ,sadly ive battled depression for around 20 years,tried tablets after my divorce 12 years ago but didnt seem too work, hit a very low patch last year so felt i needed tablets,changed them recently due to docs diagnosis so still getting use to them with a few side effects,bit the wifes head off sat and i felt terrable so had to tell her how i was feeling that day and like she said she cant help if i dont talk about it ,today we are going to a huge carboot sale and then a american car show,fingers crossed theres a 69 charger there  :ahhh:drool: thanks again everyone.  :salute:

Be sure to take plenty of pics  :D.  We are here for you brother should you need us and if you ever want to chat you can always PM me.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 05:25:27 PM
Thanks guys  :salute: sadly didnt make the car show  :-\ but found a mint 91 stamped wenger si  :ahhh and a webtex pouch ,plus met my mate and im servicing his old mauser he carried in the army  :salute:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 07:26:32 PM
Zed:

Terry Wahls is a medical doctor who has secondary progressive multiple sclerosis.  She radically changed her diet and reversed her symptoms.  It is her thesis that auto-immune disorders, including fibromyalgia, are reversible with diet.  She makes a compelling case.

See below her video, and perhaps consider her book, "The Wahls Protocol".  Its worth a try. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc&feature=kp

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 07:33:33 PM
Zed:

Terry Wahls is a medical doctor who has secondary progressive multiple sclerosis.  She radically changed her diet and reversed her symptoms.  It is her thesis that auto-immune disorders, including fibromyalgia, are reversible with diet.  She makes a compelling case.

See below her video, and perhaps consider her book, "The Wahls Protocol".  Its worth a try. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc&feature=kp

Thanks mate ill check it out  :salute: my diet is very controlled as im lactose intolerant and suffer with ibs,but recently ive deveated from my strict diet so need to get back on track :tu:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 07:49:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear this Paul.  :(  I'm also dealing with a chronic pain condition in my left leg, so I have a pretty good idea how you feel.  A good friend of mine has fibromyalgia, but has been able to deal with it effectively with the help of her doctors and some lifestyle changes.  The support on this forum is incredible at times, isn't it?  Hell I joined in early sobriety just to keep myself occupied at times when things were going rough.  Didn't think I'd still be active here this long.  What a great community we have here.  :cheers: (those are root beers btw  ;) )
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 07:58:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear this Paul.  :(  I'm also dealing with a chronic pain condition in my left leg, so I have a pretty good idea how you feel.  A good friend of mine has fibromyalgia, but has been able to deal with it effectively with the help of her doctors and some lifestyle changes.  The support on this forum is incredible at times, isn't it?  Hell I joined in early sobriety just to keep myself occupied at times when things were going rough.  Didn't think I'd still be active here this long.  What a great community we have here.  :cheers: (those are root beers btw  ;) )

Tom the generosity and kindness is what makes this forum so amazing and always gives me hope in fellow man  :salute: i find keeping myself busy helps and try to keep a few projects on the go,my work is challenging at time but my friends at work are amazing people and also a big help,ill get through this in time i just need go get on top of it mentally, you guys are a big part of my journey  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%