Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Survival skills would be more advantageous?

Aloha · 34 · 3667

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: What Survival skills would be more advantageous?
Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 05:37:12 AM
Cheers Aloha. :cheers:

Great effort Microbe.  Fire by friction is something I've never quite managed yet but I'm going to have to try again. :tu:

I gave it another go yesterday. Fail again.  :facepalm:
I think I will stick to using a lighter.  :whistle:

I am in the same shoes as Aloha, and did failed with the bamboo fire saw miserably.  Honestly, my survival skill/experience are rather limited, and that's probably the reason I try to construct my kit as best as I can, just to up my odd chances a bit.

For the fire saw, I think I knew the problem right from the start, that piece of bamboo off beach probably has high water content, and the setup really disintegrate quite fast after the smoke.  But raw fire starting skill is certainly something I want to have, especially the knowledge of picking the right materials from start.

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 07:08:36 PM
1. Finding water
2. Finding food
3. Starting a campfire
4. Building a shelter
5. Using compass or what else you have to find your way

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 08:07:31 PM
There was a book called 'How to Survive' by Brian Hilderth, I think it's out of print now but its worth getting hold of a copy if you can. I'm sure I read somewhere it initially intended for aircrew but then later adapted for children (I didn't know any of my peers that snared, prepared and cooked food though).

He used an acronym PFAWF which had two meanings Priority First Actions When Foundered and also Protection, First Aid, Aid (tools, equipment etc), Water, Food.

I was given this book when I was 8 and I didn't have to look for it to type any of this. A combination of this book, further training I received courtesy of the tax payer have made sure I have been ok so far. But in my opinion, and I'm not saying this is right, look at what you do, where you go and then look at the risks. Then decide what you need to learn based on PFAWF.

I'm off to find my copy of the book now, it must be 30 years since I last picked it up

Cheers  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 01:27:02 PM
There was a book called 'How to Survive' by Brian Hilderth, I think it's out of print now but its worth getting hold of a copy if you can. I'm sure I read somewhere it initially intended for aircrew but then later adapted for children (I didn't know any of my peers that snared, prepared and cooked food though).

He used an acronym PFAWF which had two meanings Priority First Actions When Foundered and also Protection, First Aid, Aid (tools, equipment etc), Water, Food.

I was given this book when I was 8 and I didn't have to look for it to type any of this. A combination of this book, further training I received courtesy of the tax payer have made sure I have been ok so far. But in my opinion, and I'm not saying this is right, look at what you do, where you go and then look at the risks. Then decide what you need to learn based on PFAWF.

I'm off to find my copy of the book now, it must be 30 years since I last picked it up

Cheers  :salute:

Last year while helping out some older folk I came across a small old book in the donation pile.
I opened it up randomly to a page and read "Remember PFAWF. Someday, somewhere, it may save your life!"
After a good laugh at such an odd acronym I carefully placed it to one side to read later.
Now "How To Survive" lives on my bookshelf, right between "Physics For Men" and "The Hobbit".

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%