Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger 580 Nail Clippers

AaronX · 25 · 10016

00 Offline AaronX

Wenger 580 Nail Clippers
on: June 05, 2014, 12:00:31 PM
Anybody heard of these, or even better, have these? I would like to carry nail clippers everywhere I go, and MTs with nail clippers are very rare, so when I saw the 580, I bought 3 at once (for gifts) and kept one for myself. It's a pretty small MT. To give you an idea, here's a picture with a Leatherman Style PS:

Now, I'm extremely, horribly disappointed with these. They are by far the worst nail clippers I've ever used >:( I'm starting this thread because I recently took some pictures that I feel capture how bad they are, and hopefully someone can tell me they're not meant to be like that.

Ok first, the corners don't meet:

I have never seen anything like this before, even in $1 drugstore nail clippers. Secondly, the nail clippers' metal is too thin and flimsy, to the point where I feel they're flexing more than my nails! I know it's possible to make good nail clippers in this size - I have a foldable pair, that I got for free (they look similar to Victorinox's) that work great.

Finally, the cut test. I found cutting a piece of paper and shining light through it did well to represent their (lack of) cutting ability. So here, I clipped a piece of paper with the 580 and a good pair of 777 brand nail clippers:

There are 2 uncut segments. These are not even able to cut through a piece of paper! This is my first Wenger product and I am just shocked that one of the manufacturers of the world-famous Swiss Army Knife and other cutting tools can't even get a pair of nail clippers right. Now, you may have noticed I bought 3 of these. I gave 1 away and didn't get to ask if they worked properly. I haven't opened the third one yet so I don't know what they're like.

At first, I was resigned to their fate and just stored them. Then I noticed the reviews on Amazon didn't mention these problems. I had a wonderful experience with Leatherman's warranty and decided to test Wenger's. So, I just sent them in and am waiting to see what happens.

us Offline hrvstmn31

Re: Wenger 580 Nail Clippers
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:50:36 PM
This is disappointing I hope yours was a factory defect since I've wanted one of these for a while. Good luck with warranty I have no idea how that's going to work since Wenger are no longer makes  knives.

Sent from a Sega Dreamcast.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:24:16 PM
I have the little red Evo style Clipper and it is perfect. It's an older one.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:21:24 PM
Warranty so far has been promising, the local distributor took responsibility and didn't give me the merry-go-round. There was a convenient line of stores that I could return it to, even though I didn't originally buy it from them.

So yours is better than this? There's hope...

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:26:09 PM
I have one of those, and it cuts great. If I were you, I'd send it back for repair...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 05:28:47 PM
Ive got 2 and use them regularly.  Now I must inspect the cut edges on mine to see if they meet, I never noticed.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 07:25:48 PM
Regularly use this one, it is still in perfect shape,
and, of course, works like a charm  :2tu:

:gimme:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 07:57:05 PM
Snapped a couple of pix.

Size comparsion...

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 08:54:55 PM
I checked my clippers both sets meet perfectly at the edges and work fine.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 04:18:05 AM
Wow ok I thought nobody would have heard of this little tool, but so many people have it. This place is like the home of MT collectors :) Glad to know mine is the odd one out.

us Offline twbranch

Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 07:18:05 AM
My coworker and I were just talking about nail clippers on an MT. I did some research on the Swiss and noticed they still produced them. Now I have to have one!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 04:23:30 PM
My coworker and I were just talking about nail clippers on an MT. I did some research on the Swiss and noticed they still produced them. Now I have to have one!
Actually, I think they are between production. Wenger stopped production and Victorinox Delemont Collection Nail Clippers are not yet available.

From Victorinox there is also a pocket nail-clipper available (only with nail-file), at 6.5 USD they are very good and very cheap (8.2055.C).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 05:54:42 PM
If I were to buy a flat nail clipper, I'd buy the Vic or Henckels one. True Utility, SwissTool and the others seem risky. But my nail clipper of choice is actually one with a catcher. It's thicker but you can use it anywhere without making a mess.

The company wants $10 to post it to Switzerland. Fair enough, I had to post my Leatherman myself too.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 06:37:54 AM
I have the Tweezerman clippers and they work very well. Ergos could be better in that the file can be obtrusive on occasion, but I still like them very much.

They are identical to the Victorinox model and several other brands. So just buy the cheapest one you find.

Oddly though, when I looked them up on Amazon, I got this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G647YS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001U52C9Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=15AKXVFVQVEW026Z3RBS

Nylon fabric with protective DuraGuard coating
Lightweight Honeycomb Framing system
Ball-bearing inline skate wheels
Telescoping handle with two stops at 38 and 43
Roomy main compartment expands 2 inches

???

This must be a new model, as mine certainly lacks ball-bearing inline skate wheels. Nor does it have a roomy main compartment. The telescoping handle sounds quite nice as well.

G

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 09:51:38 AM
After 2 months, they're back! And the result is…

At first glance, they look the same. Still gaps in the corners. Still can't cut through paper cleanly. But now, they make that "clip" sound and don't feel like they're flexing that much. I guess they sharpened them. So, an improvement but still not the quality I expect. I guess I'll EDC these as emergency clippers, since I don't have a knife anyway.

Doesn't give me much faith in Wenger products. If a customer sends something back with a problem, they should pay special attention to that. If they think nail clippers that don't meet all the way are good enough to send out, they shouldn't be making nail clippers.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 12:51:10 AM
Somehow strange :think: but everything is possible ...

I've a perfect Wenger Swiss Clipper that looks & works perfectly :2tu:

:D

:o

:)

:angel:

:gimme:

ca Offline armèe-suisse

Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 06:50:40 AM
Wow ok I thought nobody would have heard of this little tool, but so many people have it. This place is like the home of MT collectors :) Glad to know mine is the odd one out.

Same with mine, the nail clipper is not useable, a defect. I believed some of the batch with the same problem. Wenger are not making these anymore, they've been replaced by the Victorinox. :think:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:52:26 AM by armèe-suisse »

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 10:16:14 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
 :o

Thanks, looks like a QC issue then. On the bright side, they sharpened my knife without being asked.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 10:20:02 AM
Mine works perfectly fine :shrug:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 10:27:03 PM
I have one too and use it a lot. Until now I haven't noticed that one of the corners is a little bit like yours, but it cuts well through paper and of course my nails.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 10:53:10 PM
Thanks, looks like a QC issue then. On the bright side, they sharpened my knife without being asked.
You're welcome. :salute:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 02:25:16 AM
I have one of these, and aside from my fingernails being a tad thick and hard to cut, it does fine.  My edges meet up all the way around.

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 10:20:26 AM
The 580 (I have the 'Wengerinox' version) does not seem to really cut it in strength for my nails... and I don't think I have particularly tough nails. Is anything stronger out there? :-/

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 01:51:51 PM
I wish people would stop using Wengerinox as a nickname for the new Delemont line. It will cause a lot of confusion and mess up the future searches as Wengerinox WAS the actual name of the Wenger company for a time in the past.

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 02:40:24 PM
The 580 (I have the 'Wengerinox' version) does not seem to really cut it in strength for my nails... and I don't think I have particularly tough nails. Is anything stronger out there? :-/

Victorinox nail clippers (no tools, quite cheap)
True Utility
Swiss+Tech

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69