Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade tough owners club

Philby · 167 · 17860

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Re: Schrade tough owners club
Reply #120 on: June 29, 2018, 06:15:42 AM
From what I understand, these didn’t prove that popular with the soldiers of the ADF.  But it does have a lifetime warranty so if you break it, get a new one.  😛  Not sure that’s a good plan when you might really need it.....

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #121 on: June 29, 2018, 11:22:49 AM
Very cool. Thank you. The Australian Defense Force makes it more tactical.   :mn:

Defintely much more tactical, but unfortunately still not at all "tough"  ;)   :cry:

My suggestion is to add it to the shelf queen shelf before you hurt yourself trying it on anything hard.  These tools do not have a very good reputation (things went downhill fast once Taylor took over the Schrade brand).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: June 29, 2018, 07:58:22 PM
Yes, this one will be a shelf queen unless we have a complete zombie takeover and then I will have to use it to defend myself.   :rofl: :rofl:   Does the lifetime warranty still apply if I break it under those circumstances?   :whistle:     :facepalm:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #123 on: June 30, 2018, 05:47:14 AM
I completely agree that the Taylor TTs are pretty bad compared to the OG Schrade TTs. But, if someone asks me what is a good <$20 MT, I would throw the Taylor TT in the list as an option for NON-Heavy-Duty tasks. It would be fine for general work or fishing..IMO of course.
The stainless version, without scissors, is a better tool. Mainly, because the black Taylor TT paint comes off quite easily and the scissors are not good at all.

If anyone likes the Taylor TT, then I highly recommend spending the money for an OG Schrade TT, if you don't have one of course.

My biggest gripe on the Taylor TT is the handle splay. So unnecessary for the splay to be so wide. An easy fix, but who has the time?. ::)

Edit: I am not sure how the brand transfer will affect warranty, but lets hope the transfer effect isn't negative. The TT seems to be popular and I think it would be wise to keep developing and supporting the product. IMO
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:50:29 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: July 16, 2018, 10:26:53 PM
I just picked up a Craftsman 45471 off of the 'Bay... and I'm really not that sold on it. This is the re-branded Schrade ST5E, with the slip-joint jaws. I got it in, cleaned it up, lubricated it, replaced the missing bits and bit driver adapter with parts from a hardware store multi-bit screwdriver... and... well... I'm left wondering "WHY??" on the adjustable jaws. The slip joint allows them to open infinitesimally larger than the regular pivot. They go from just barely able to grip a garden hose end to ever so slightly better, but still barely, able to grip a garden hose end.

I find the tool remarkably heavy, remarkably wide, and the tool is very awkward to hold when using anything except the pliers.

The locking mechanism is really neat, though I wish all blades had it. Everything is ridiculously sharp, which is good. File is nicely aggressive, and there is an awesome scraper blade that works really well on gaskets. But overall I'm just not impressed. I waited and scoured eBay for one of these - nice or not - because I need a multi tool capable of removing stuck garden hoses. I don't like having to carry a MT and a pair of channel locks. Two sheaths is weird, and neither the MT nor the channel locks feel good carried in a pocket.

I'm still on the hunt for something suitable. Maybe the Crunch. I think I may end up selling this in the classified section. Hoping I can get back what I've got in it... :/

Charles.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #125 on: July 25, 2018, 05:44:35 AM
I joined recently.
IMG_0462.JPG
* IMG_0462.JPG (Filesize: 146 KB)
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: July 25, 2018, 08:53:20 AM
 :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #127 on: July 25, 2018, 06:33:10 PM
Welcome to the Tough Tool Club, Yadda! :cheers:

I purchased the ST5E from Charles and received it today. Couldn't be happier. The ST5E is HUGE compared to the OG Tough Tools. :ahhh

Here it is with two U.S.A Tough Tools and two Taylor Brand Tough Tools
The ST5E is branded "Craftsman", but it is a U.S.A. Tough Tool by Schrade :)
20180725_111019-1.jpeg
* 20180725_111019-1.jpeg (Filesize: 175.48 KB)
20180725_111212-1.jpeg
* 20180725_111212-1.jpeg (Filesize: 174.01 KB)
20180725_111319-1.jpeg
* 20180725_111319-1.jpeg (Filesize: 228.62 KB)
20180725_111707-1.jpeg
* 20180725_111707-1.jpeg (Filesize: 99.13 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #128 on: July 26, 2018, 03:01:33 AM
Thanks! I have a second coming with the multiple patent numbers. I also have a Craftsman model.
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #129 on: July 26, 2018, 03:06:33 AM
 :salute:

Which Craftsman model do you have? I like the stuff branded Craftsman a little more than Schrade, although I still like Schrade stuff. Thr Bear & Son stuff branded Craftsman is great too.  :)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: July 26, 2018, 03:09:01 AM
:salute:

Which Craftsman model do you have? I like the stuff branded Craftsman a little more than Schrade, although I still like Schrade stuff. Thr Bear & Son stuff branded Craftsman is great too.  :)

I have several, Bear and Schrade.  I'll try to get a photo.

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: July 26, 2018, 03:14:47 AM
That's the Craftsman 45471, which is a re-branded Schrade ST5E.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #132 on: July 26, 2018, 03:15:50 AM
Awesome, Yadda! :cheers:

Thank you, Charles! I keep forgetting the Craftsman designation. :salute:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: July 31, 2018, 06:11:08 AM
My Craftsman tools.
IMG_0474.JPG
* IMG_0474.JPG (Filesize: 143.67 KB)
IMG_0475.JPG
* IMG_0475.JPG (Filesize: 119.2 KB)
IMG_0476.JPG
* IMG_0476.JPG (Filesize: 109.93 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #134 on: July 31, 2018, 06:12:26 AM
My recently acquired Schrade Tough Tools.
IMG_0477.JPG
* IMG_0477.JPG (Filesize: 123.29 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #135 on: July 31, 2018, 06:57:01 AM
Very nice Tough Tools, Yadda! :like:

Glad you got the Craftsman version of the ST5E while they're still affordable! The ST5E has gotten absurd. :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #136 on: July 31, 2018, 03:06:08 PM
A little Schrade Parade. :)

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: July 31, 2018, 08:25:03 PM
Hey Alex, bottom picture, top center tool. That's a Schrade? It looks like the Outu I have. Are the drivers well-formed? They're just "okay" on my Outu. If the drivers are good I might look for the Schrade version. I like the Outu version of the tool, I've stowed it in my first aid kit because of the awesome scissors. They go right through denim, so I figured it would be a good thing to have in a first aid kit. I've been fixing drywall over the weekend, and find they also cut metal-reinforced joint tape really easily. Only thing I had in the house that does. Garden shears mangle it and regular scissors don't have the umph.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #138 on: July 31, 2018, 08:36:27 PM
Hey Alex, bottom picture, top center tool. That's a Schrade? It looks like the Outu I have. Are the drivers well-formed? They're just "okay" on my Outu. If the drivers are good I might look for the Schrade version. I like the Outu version of the tool, I've stowed it in my first aid kit because of the awesome scissors. They go right through denim, so I figured it would be a good thing to have in a first aid kit. I've been fixing drywall over the weekend, and find they also cut metal-reinforced joint tape really easily. Only thing I had in the house that does. Garden shears mangle it and regular scissors don't have the umph.

Charles.
It is the "Schrade Tough Tool ST11" and it is identical to the Outo in every way. It just costs $5-$10 more. :facepalm:
The Schrade version came with a great sheath though(even though the tool has a clip). Don't know if the Outo comes with one. :think:
The one I have was ink stamped "Schrade" in green on one handle. The ink was there when I put it away a few months ago. Took it out of the sheath and the green ink was a little pile of green dust. So now the only marking is a laser etched "ST11" on the pliers. :ahhh

And you ain't kidding. Those scissors are really really good. Surprisingly good. I cut a bunch of cardboard for a test and then cut some fine thread. Worked perfectly. The screw pivot is a nice touch too, in case you have to tighten/fix the scissors. :)

• No Life Club
Reply #139 on: July 31, 2018, 09:21:21 PM

Charles.
It is the "Schrade Tough Tool ST11" and it is identical to the Outo in every way. It just costs $5-$10 more. :facepalm:
The Schrade version came with a great sheath though(even though the tool has a clip). Don't know if the Outo comes with one. :think:
The one I have was ink stamped "Schrade" in green on one handle. The ink was there when I put it away a few months ago. Took it out of the sheath and the green ink was a little pile of green dust. So now the only marking is a laser etched "ST11" on the pliers. :ahhh

And you ain't kidding. Those scissors are really really good. Surprisingly good. I cut a bunch of cardboard for a test and then cut some fine thread. Worked perfectly. The screw pivot is a nice touch too, in case you have to tighten/fix the scissors. :)

The Outu comes with a sheath, but it was too large for the first aid kit, so I have it in my pile of "sheaths that I need to find a tool for", It's a nice hard nylon sheath!

So, I'll skip the Schrade and version... what about the Roxon version with the corkscrew and all the extra tools? It's a lot larger, but is it the same quality? (Do you know?)

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #140 on: July 31, 2018, 09:35:00 PM
I have not gotten the Roxon version yet, but 'Reamerpunch' did a good review of it.
Here is the thread for RP's review.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,77845.msg1721181.html#msg1721181

It seems a little expensive for what it is. After getting the BoxTree tool 'Yadda' posted about for $12, I think the Roxon may be overpriced a bit. But, I'll get one at some point anyway. :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #141 on: August 02, 2018, 03:38:49 AM
New in Box Dark Green Tough Chip. This thing is cool.  :multi:
20180801_193836-1.jpeg
* 20180801_193836-1.jpeg (Filesize: 214.93 KB)
20180801_194022-1.jpeg
* 20180801_194022-1.jpeg (Filesize: 173.62 KB)
20180801_194413-1.jpeg
* 20180801_194413-1.jpeg (Filesize: 180.52 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #142 on: August 02, 2018, 04:34:37 AM
Oops. Forgot the pictures of it in the open position. :ahhh :)
20180801_213023-1.jpeg
* 20180801_213023-1.jpeg (Filesize: 228.31 KB)
20180801_213059-1.jpeg
* 20180801_213059-1.jpeg (Filesize: 203.55 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #143 on: August 02, 2018, 11:52:48 AM
This and the SOG Crosscut are the two scissors based tools I've always wanted to try out, but as usual they are rare to find  :rant:
Nice to see you have one too! (not that I doubted it  :D)

how are the tweezers and pull-out implements on those?  :think: Vic quality level?  ???
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #144 on: August 02, 2018, 02:40:59 PM
Thank you, TP! :cheers:

Tweezers and toothpick are about the same as Vic, but considering the size if the tool and original MSRP, they should be better. The ToughChip does have an outstanding set of scissors.   :tu:

The removable double-diamond-side file is a great touch for sure. :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #145 on: August 09, 2018, 07:59:58 AM
Just keeping this thread fresh.  :)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #146 on: August 09, 2018, 01:27:40 PM

minty fresh!!  :drool: :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #147 on: August 09, 2018, 05:26:35 PM

minty fresh!!  :drool: :like:
:like:

Try not to chew on a ToughTool. Not minty at all. :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #148 on: December 09, 2018, 01:38:15 AM
February 1st-15th is the two week ToughTool challenge. U.S. and China made tools both welcome. :tu:

Picked this one up so I could use one of mine in the challenge.  :)

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #149 on: December 09, 2018, 06:25:18 AM
Looking forward to it G-Man.

Who else will join,
I wonder. :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24