Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade tough owners club

Philby · 167 · 17853

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Schrade tough owners club
Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 10:56:32 PM
Still have the original USA-made Schrade Tough Chip scissors multitool.

I traded off or gave away the larger "Tough to Open" tools.   ;)

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 11:42:20 PM
Been carrying it frequently
ST1 batonned.jpg
* ST1 batonned.jpg (Filesize: 179.1 KB)
ST1 lake.jpg
* ST1 lake.jpg (Filesize: 123.64 KB)
ST1 pines.jpg
* ST1 pines.jpg (Filesize: 209.55 KB)
ST1tree2.jpg
* ST1tree2.jpg (Filesize: 303.62 KB)
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 10:30:09 PM
Great pics Higgins !

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 11:40:07 PM
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 10:41:28 AM
I got one also. Lovely tool.
tough1.jpg
* tough1.jpg (Filesize: 597.2 KB)
tough2.jpg
* tough2.jpg (Filesize: 618.77 KB)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 03:14:42 PM
I've just bought an unusual ST1.  It is a USA made version (not the crappy later model ST1), but it has a flush plier pivot - something I've never seen on a USA ST1 before.  It has the older style blade with very fine serrations.  According to the seller it came from the Schrade factory closure sale.  It was marked "Save" and "Old Style". The plier pivot has the usual Schrade logo on it.

Has anyone ever seen this style of plier pivot on a USA ST1 before ?

Here is a link to the auction (click on "see original listing" to see photos).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361600268394

I probably won't see this tool in the metal for a while, as it has to go via Oregon before it gets to Australia.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 04:13:04 AM
I've just bought an unusual ST1.  It is a USA made version (not the crappy later model ST1), but it has a flush plier pivot - something I've never seen on a USA ST1 before.  It has the older style blade with very fine serrations.  According to the seller it came from the Schrade factory closure sale.  It was marked "Save" and "Old Style". The plier pivot has the usual Schrade logo on it.

Has anyone ever seen this style of plier pivot on a USA ST1 before ?

Here is a link to the auction (click on "see original listing" to see photos).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361600268394

I probably won't see this tool in the metal for a while, as it has to go via Oregon before it gets to Australia.

Another great find!
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: July 10, 2016, 04:23:59 AM
I've never seen one with that flush pivot before Greg. :o Perhaps you've got yourself an early design prototype there. Congrats!

If I recall correctly, David has an early ST1 with the fine serrations, but I do not remember anything about the pivot on his. :think:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #38 on: July 10, 2016, 05:52:41 AM
I've never seen one with that flush pivot before Greg. :o Perhaps you've got yourself an early design prototype there. Congrats!

If I recall correctly, David has an early ST1 with the fine serrations, but I do not remember anything about the pivot on his. :think:

I have several other ST1 series 1 with fine serrations on the blade, but all of them have the regular (non-flush) plier pivot.  When the flush pivot one arrives in Oz I'll report on any other differences I can see.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 08:34:33 PM

I have several other ST1 series 1 with fine serrations on the blade, but all of them have the regular (non-flush) plier pivot.  When the flush pivot one arrives in Oz I'll report on any other differences I can see.

Great, I'm looking forward to it! :salute:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #40 on: July 25, 2016, 07:20:55 AM
I have just seen some photos of what looks like an ST1 with flush plier pivots (not the best quality photos, as they are on the packaging of a NIC ST1 that just sold on ebay). Click on "see original listing" to see them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schrade-Tough-Tool-21-Function-Multi-Tool-w-Nylon-Sheath-ST1NB-OLD-STOCK-USA-/112068062192?hash=item1a17c6ebf0:g:QrcAAOSwTZ1Xk~z-

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: July 27, 2016, 04:44:24 PM

Ah, so you think maybe they used an early flush pivot prototype for the packaging photos?

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #42 on: July 28, 2016, 01:38:45 AM

Ah, so you think maybe they used an early flush pivot prototype for the packaging photos?

I'm not sure if the tool with flush plier pivots is a "prototype" or that is how the very early production ones were made, but essentially, yes  :)  It was a similar story with the very early PSTs - the photos published in the first catalogue were significantly different to the tools that were actually sold.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: July 28, 2016, 03:16:49 AM

I'm not sure if the tool with flush plier pivots is a "prototype" or that is how the very early production ones were made, but essentially, yes  :)  It was a similar story with the very early PSTs - the photos published in the first catalogue were significantly different to the tools that were actually sold.

I was thinking of that very thing. :salute: :salute:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: August 21, 2016, 04:23:58 PM
What are these worth these days  ?

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #45 on: August 21, 2016, 05:22:05 PM
What are these worth these days  ?

IIRC I've seen good examples of the Craftsman 45471 (which is a re-label of the Schrade ST5) go for around U$100 recently

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: August 21, 2016, 05:52:21 PM
Thanks Greg, I just won one in a two item lot and will probably be flipping it. It's supposed to be in good shape although no pictures of the tools open so I'll find out when I get it. I kind of took a chance because I haven't seen one before and thought it might be worth something.

us Offline David

Reply #47 on: August 23, 2016, 07:37:37 AM
Thanks Greg, I just won one in a two item lot and will probably be flipping it. It's supposed to be in good shape although no pictures of the tools open so I'll find out when I get it. I kind of took a chance because I haven't seen one before and thought it might be worth something.

You got that for good money. But the big question is the screwdriver insert still in it many of the used ones are missing. Espically the early ones with double inserts. Since they are an odd size they are next to impossible to replace since Schrade is long gone.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 03:34:50 PM
Thanks for the info David, hopefully it will come with the bit. If not I'll see if I can mod something to work.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: August 25, 2016, 09:02:28 PM
Well this is a bust, I think I will be sending it back. The knife blade is broken in half , the chisel tip is chipped, missing the insert and to top it off there is heat damage to some of the tools and plier jaws. Must have belonged to a welder.

Not as described  :twak:

us Offline David

Reply #50 on: August 26, 2016, 10:58:32 AM
Bummer. Probably why it was turned where the tools weren't shown. I've bought a lot of tools from them in the past they always did the right thing and took care of any problems back then. Hopefully they still do.
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: August 27, 2016, 09:29:43 PM
Bummer. Probably why it was turned where the tools weren't shown. I've bought a lot of tools from them in the past they always did the right thing and took care of any problems back then. Hopefully they still do.

He has taken care of it by refunding my money and told me to keep the tool   :tu:

us Offline David

Reply #52 on: August 28, 2016, 01:26:15 AM
Good to hear! Got any ideas on restoration?
Hold Fast

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #53 on: August 28, 2016, 01:43:10 AM
I never saw this thread.  I've had what I think is a V1 ST1 for several months now.  Interesting tool, and solidly built :tu:

K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #54 on: August 28, 2016, 03:09:45 AM
Interesting, Kyle. My V1 has a very different main blade than yours.

The serrations on mine are basically nonexistant. Instead, the tool has a full serrated blade.

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #55 on: August 28, 2016, 03:36:13 AM

The serrations on mine are basically nonexistant. Instead, the tool has a full serrated blade.

I believe the ST1s with very fine serrations on part of the blade on the combo blade is the very early production version v1, all the later ST1s (that I have or have seen) had the much more common coarser serrations (including most v1 ST1s).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:39:40 AM by gregozedobe »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #56 on: August 28, 2016, 03:45:46 AM

Those are some tiny serrations.  Mine has the full serrated blade as well.
K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #57 on: August 28, 2016, 04:07:08 AM

I believe the ST1s with very fine serrations on part of the blade on the combo blade is the very early production version v1, all the later ST1s (that I have or have seen) had the much more common coarser serrations (including most v1 ST1s).

Neat. I know it's a V1 but didn't realize it was an early one. Thanks for the info!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #58 on: December 07, 2016, 02:10:12 AM
I have one of these, but never carried it because the tool blades all bypassed the stop with slight force making it unsafe to use.  The pliers are great, to tool is well made. except what I mention.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #59 on: February 14, 2017, 11:44:06 AM
Been looking for a Toughtool club since I received mine a week ago. I'd fancied one for a while and then one came up for a silly price so I grabbed it. I believe it's the ST1 (later version with heavier serrations on the clip point blade).
My only other pliers MT is a Spirit so I won't compare the two, except to acknowledge the TT's jaws open wider than the Spirit's. Needless to say I love the quirky design of the TT. The pouch is fantastic - very heavy duty. The Black Sabbath of MT pouches. I like the tool selection but would've liked scissors and woodsaw instead of the flat 'scraper' blade and 'leatherbore', but never mind.

The only down side I can see is using the knives is difficult because of the way they fold out of the handle. But again, it's one of the quirks and I prefer something with character than not.

I'm glad to join this club  :cheers:
Pics:
WP_20170210_013 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170212_006 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170214_001 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170214_002 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170214_004 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20170214_006 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD