Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw A100 (spoonrobot photo essay format)

J-sews · 27 · 10014

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Kershaw A100 (spoonrobot photo essay format)
on: June 07, 2008, 03:29:35 PM
The Kershaw A100 first showed up in 1997. Its long ungainly profile was unlike any other multitool before or since. Measuring over 6-3/4" long (170mm) it doesn't fold up any shorter than that for carrying. A comfortable EDC it was not.

Aesthetic beauty was not its strong suit either. The A100 Multi-Tool has knobs and screws and levers and studs protruding from every surface. A strange mix of hex head and knurled head bolts are arrayed along its considerable length. First impressions are often not favorable.

But what the A100 lacks in form it more than makes up for in function. Available two years prior to the Leatherman Crunch, it was the first multitool to feature locking pliers. (vise grips in North America, mole grips most everywhere else) To this day it is the only locking plier multitool with needlenose jaws.

Locking plier mechanism, with a wide adjustment range:

Another exclusive: The Kershaw has an assist lever to unlock the jaws from a tight grip, a feature the Crunch is lacking. This assist lever functions perfectly too, just like on a set of dedicated locking pliers.

More stuff in no particular order:
  • A little v-groove running lengthwise in the plier jaw

• Inch and metric scale along the bottom

• An array of useful implements, including a metal saw that appears to simply be a length of ordinary hacksaw blade.

Speaking of implements, the useful length of them is limited somewhat by the protruding end of the plier release lever. An unfortunate obstacle that seems like it could have been engineered around.

Another unsophisticated feature is the plier latch, which draws upon the same mechanical principles used to hold my backyard gate closed.

But was the A100 innovative? Youbetcha! How about this outside opening, liner-locking, one-hand-opening knife blade for instance? Nobody else had a multitool equipped like this until the Leatherman Wave came out over a year later.

How was this knife arrangement made possible? By forming the sheet metal handle into an S-shape, which kept the plier mechanism on the inboard side while allowing the knife blade to be outside-opening.

Again, this S-shaped handle is something generally associated with the original Leatherman Wave, which didn't appear until over a year later.

Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: Kershaw A100 (spoonrobot photo essay format)
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 04:19:14 PM
Another great review of a tool that was way ahead of its time.  It is nice to see these tools that really you see designed into other tools. It is interesting how some companies will go in dif. directions and still have thier ideas come to life in other more succsessfull tools like the wave.
S

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 04:20:06 PM
Excellent essay.I really regret not getting one when they were still in production;while it may not the kind of tool to hang from your belt,it looks like a winner to have in the tool box or glove box.I sincerely wish Kershaw would re-enter the full size tool market,I'm more than satisfied with every Kershaw product I've owned.
I

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 04:29:56 PM
Especially now. the wat Kershaw has been going I feel that they are n a roll and really doing cutting edge stuff now with the blades. Maybe someday they will re enter our worls.
S

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 04:30:27 PM
Woo!

Very nice photos and words. I've been waiting to find out some of the little ins/outs of this tool for a while. Thanks for taking the time to do this, now I need to get one.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 04:33:33 PM
And look how pristine it is!!!!!!!!!
S

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 04:35:25 PM
Great write up Bob :)

And look how pristine it is!!!!!!!!!

That's his draw queen, he'll have a beater one hanging around somewhere ::) :D
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 05:55:07 PM
Very enjoyable Bob, thanks.  :)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 07:28:47 PM
Great review as ever mate :cheers:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 08:06:15 PM
Great review and superb pics .

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 03:04:22 AM
I've had this tool for a few years but never carried it. It's just too long and clumsy to ride around on my belt. Seems like it would be more appropriate for a tackle box or carried in a vehicle for emergencies.

Leatherman Crunch -vs- Kershaw A100

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 03:05:07 AM
How much do these go for now? I've got one, but I don't remember what I paid for it!
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 03:16:53 AM
How much do these go for now? I've got one, but I don't remember what I paid for it!

I remember them going for about $65 brand new 10 years ago. It was a lot back then, still is today, but the tool has so many parts it's not surprising. There must be about a million steps in the manufacturing process. :P

Launce Barber, inventer of the Kershaw Carabiner Tool, told us at the Shot Show that even at that price the A100 was a "loss leader" for Kershaw during its entire time in production.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 04:00:02 AM

Seems like @45-70$ is a good average for the sale price on eBay. And remember the one that went for $140+. Of course there haven't been any listed for a few weeks now so it may be different once a few get listed. If you ever want to sell it send me a PM!  ;)

Also, I was looking at the pictures again and wondering. Since the implement section appears to be user-serviceable did Kershaw ever offer individual implements for sale with the intent that the user replace them? Second, was there any difference between the Craftsman rebadge of the tool and the Kershaw version?

Offline SoDak

Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 04:47:30 AM
I always wanted one, but there has always one thing about them that concerned me. It looked like to me that when the plier are locked on something the handles are close together. This looked like a good way to pinch my hand when locking down on something. Is that correct, or do the plier handles come apart some so as not to pinch your hand when you're locking down on something? 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 04:54:18 AM
I always wanted one, but there has always one thing about them that concerned me. It looked like to me that when the plier are locked on something the handles are close together. This looked like a good way to pinch my hand when locking down on something. Is that correct, or do the plier handles come apart some so as not to pinch your hand when you're locking down on something? 

Nope, the plier handles come close together, no matter how wide the jaw adjustment is set. Playing around with the tool a bit here, it doesn't seem to be pinch-prone. Maybe because I'm paying attention though. It might bite out on a real world task.

Offline SoDak

Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 05:04:11 AM
Maybe they wouldn't bite. I guess I was thinking about my schrade st-6 or whatever it's called. That tool won't pinch you if you're careful, but if you grip close in to exert more force or have the pliers slip off whatever it is you're holding and the handles quickly snap shut, you can get pinched. I handled a kershaw at a gunstore and it seemed like it could pinch, but I can't remember exactly since it has been some time since I handled it. That is one thing I do like about the crunch. When assembled the handles do have a large gap in between so you shouldn't get pinched. I need to get one of those someday. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 05:11:49 AM
Also, I was looking at the pictures again and wondering. Since the implement section appears to be user-serviceable did Kershaw ever offer individual implements for sale with the intent that the user replace them?

Yes, you could order replacements direct from Kershaw, but they were only straight up replacements. Nothing other than what was originally included with the tool. And Craftsman offered a little blister pack of replacement blades. If I recall correctly the pack had one each of the file, can opener, and screwdrivers, plus two each of the saw blade. Not sure why they didn't include a new knife blade though.

Second, was there any difference between the Craftsman rebadge of the tool and the Kershaw version?

I'm fairly sure that only the logo on the side was different.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 05:26:20 AM
Great review Bob  :salute: very nice tool  :climber: The Crunch is on the top of my to get list :gimme: becasue of the locking pliers the Kershaw is also a very nice looking functional tool,  that also needs to be on my very long list  :D man there alot of MTs out there I never knew there where so many

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 07:14:27 PM
Got mine yesterday.

I'm enjoying the industrial look of the tool. If you look at it from the 3/4 view 11 fasteners are visible and really create a sense of mechanical competency and overall strength of construction. Reading over the patent I'm seeing some interesting features that aren't too obvious to the eye. The locking mechanism for the implements and the interesting (although possibly unintentional) way to address clumping issue with bent washers between certain implements show the thought put into this big guy.

Next, questions. I can't find my reference pictures but this tool was made with all hex fasteners at one point right? And if I remember correctly the all hex construction came first chronologically? Anybody know or remember when it was discontinued? I think I saw the date referenced once but can't recall.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 08:00:36 PM
it is a great tool, bulit and sheffield also made knock offs that were identical.
the schrade vise grip was made in four variations. two of them included needle nose pliers. they make a good substitution at a much lower price.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 08:04:14 PM
oh how clean.like new yours is..mine is used and used but ofcourse cleaned and oiled too,but all use leaves its marks...and some character ;)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 03:30:21 AM
Got mine yesterday.

I'm enjoying the industrial look of the tool. If you look at it from the 3/4 view 11 fasteners are visible and really create a sense of mechanical competency and overall strength of construction. Reading over the patent I'm seeing some interesting features that aren't too obvious to the eye. The locking mechanism for the implements and the interesting (although possibly unintentional) way to address clumping issue with bent washers between certain implements show the thought put into this big guy.

Next, questions. I can't find my reference pictures but this tool was made with all hex fasteners at one point right? And if I remember correctly the all hex construction came first chronologically? Anybody know or remember when it was discontinued? I think I saw the date referenced once but can't recall.

I didn't know there was an all-hex version Spoon.  ???  I have seen a picture of one with all round knurled screws though.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 03:44:28 AM
Hmm. I could swear I saw one once with all hex hardware but I can't find any evidence to back my claims up. It could have been a pre-production catalog image or a different tool all together that I am remembering.  ???

I did find this picture but I'm not sure what the fasteners actually are since you can only see one side. It looks like a catalog promo shot from Kershaw.

http://www.multi-tool.org/a100flyc.jpg/a100flyc-full;init:.jpg

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 03:46:49 AM
Very interesting. Those screws look the same as the rear two shown in the user's manual.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 06:52:28 AM
Looks like a cool tool for pulling elect. wire,with that grove in the needle nose tip,good review & pic's Bob.

Offline bashk

Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 06:58:51 PM
Hi Spoon,

Glad to hear that you receuved your tool and that you are happy with it.

Bash

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD