Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

House Hunting

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
House Hunting
on: June 07, 2014, 02:10:17 PM
My husband and I have been together for... uhh... forever? Well, okay, since like 1998. Wow. Yeah. 16 years. We moved into an apartment together, things went great, then a second and third apartment.

Then, five years ago, a little house. Very little, like 850 sq feet. Even that would be enough space if the cellar were dry, or we had a reasonable place to put a storage shed.

But we've kind of outgrown it, and our finances are looking okay. Oh, yeah, and there's the whole crazy neighbor with a pit bull that keeps attacking us...

So, we're back on the market for a new home. This one, five years ago, cost us about $75K. Our price range is a little higher now... around $95K max. That might not sound like a big difference (or maybe it does) but it apparently makes a WORLD of difference as to what you get.

Yesterday we looked at 4 houses. Of those, we only eliminated one from the running completely. So everyone knows, the difference between 'Cellar' and 'Basement' around here is that you can access a basement without leaving the house. Our current house has a Cellar.

House 1 is small (925sqft), has a wet cellar, recently rehabbed, with not much storage in the house, but has a HUGE garage (34' by 24') and sits on a half acre lot in a neighborhood full of equally far-spaced neighbors.

House 2 is a bit larger (1032sqft), a fairly dry basement, nice residential neighborhood, 1 car garage, back yard with a privacy fence on a standard size lot (150' x 50')

House 3 is larger still (1150sqft), almost completely dry basement, okay neighborhood, no garage, back yard with privacy fence on standard size lot. It is also literally one block over from where we live now, so we might still run into our current idiot neighbor.

The first time we did this house hunt, we were scraping by to come up with the funds for down payment, inspection, closing costs, all that. Our friends actually bought us paint to repaint some of the rooms before we moved in. And another got us a lawn mower. We had to buy the gas stove and refrigerator from 'Big Franks Used Appliances'. We were REALLY scraping by.

This time is different. We have pretty much perfect credit rating, so we'll be able to put down 5% up front, and get a non-FHA loan (at an insanely low 3.75%. Yes, fixed), which means if items don't pass inspection, we can decide if we still wish to purchase. We can handle closing costs and can certainly afford paint.

So, I guess this goes to the old saying "I would rather light a candle than curse the darkness" in regard to my neighbor situation. The neighbor's teenage daughter said to me the other day "Why don't you just move if you don't like it?" to which I said "You can't 'just move'."

Except... we looked at the numbers, and we can. So we will. ASAP.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: House Hunting
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 02:23:39 PM
Except... we looked at the numbers, and we can. So we will. ASAP.

Sounds like an excellent plan  :tu:  Just research neighbours etc to make sure there isn't another "idiot neghbour" close by.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 02:30:38 PM
 :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 02:45:24 PM
Sounds like a great solution to the whole idiot neighbour with angry dog problem. Atleast for you. :)

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 03:16:45 PM
Moving up in life is always a good choice, especially if it means you can be rid of that idiot neighbor.  I wish you the best of luck with the new place, whichever you choose.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 04:23:41 PM
"Light" that candle Lynn!  It's great you are in a position to move and into a larger home as well.  I do hope you find the right house for you with a dry basement   :).   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 04:50:28 PM
When I was looking I was interested in lot size and hence space from neighbours more than house sq footage.  Out lot is 120ft frontage and our house is only 950 sq ft.  This is a 1950s neighborhood so the lot sizes were divided up better than the new build areas where houses are 3 ft apart.  My neighbours houses are 20 ft away on either side and that suits me fine.

Good luck shopping lynn!  See if you can meet the new neighbors before buying!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 05:03:21 PM
We met the next door neighbor on the third property last night after we walked over to take a look again (since that place was only a block away) and had a good long chat. He's been there for 40 years, and knows everyone in the neighborhood, and gave us the rundown. It was like cracking open a history book of the street. What I had intended to be a friendly hello and maybe a few minutes of chatting turned into about an hour.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 07:30:08 PM
If you got on with him and had a long chat with him effectively out of the blue, I'd move there.

It's not so much about the house as the full experience.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 10:56:28 PM
I wish you and your hubby the absolute best of luck with your house search!!  If it was me looking, that 34x24' garage would make me  :drool: and lean towards that.

It doesn't hurt to go knocking on doors of the houses around the properties you are interested in.  Introduce yourselves and say you are interested in purchasing (point to house) and you were wondering what the neighborhood is like.  If the people are friendly, than that's a plus, if not, it might be best to steer clear.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 11:04:05 PM
Congrats on the decision Lynn and good luck house hunting. Get away from that neighbor before she gives you grey hairs! I know how frustrating bad neighbors can be.

I can't believe you can buy a house for $100k over there... half a million doesn't get you much in a 40+ mile circle around Auckland. I might have to come to the US!

Let us know how you get on.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 11:18:12 PM
If it was me looking, that 34x24' garage would make me  :drool: and lean towards that.

I have told hubby that the property would give me a perfect place in which to construct a 'Tiny Home' in a dry environment. Or repair our broken Futon frame. Or any number of awesome things. He seems unfazed by my arguments. :D

Rimfire... most of the places around us are more expensive, but $150k can get a pretty good place. I was thinking Aukland was bigger than St. Louis, but if I take the whole metro area, it's about 3 million. But understand the area isn't exactly the hot growth region of the U.S. Still, yeah, you're kind of getting screwed on property prices there.  :shrug:

EDIT: also, Our current house only cost $75K. :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 12:36:51 AM
Congrats on the decision Lynn and good luck house hunting. Get away from that neighbor before she gives you grey hairs! I know how frustrating bad neighbors can be.

I can't believe you can buy a house for $100k over there... half a million doesn't get you much in a 40+ mile circle around Auckland. I might have to come to the US!

Here in California home prices are still high.  A quarter million gets you a home in the high crime areas.  That garage sounds awesome Lynn.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 06:12:52 AM
Rimfire, the prices are high there because you live on an island- everything has to be imported on an island. Even the land.  :D

Wet cellar, sounds like a bad plan. The drier the cellar/basement is, the better- moisture gets up into the main part of the house, into the wood, and attracts all kind creepies and crawlies and biteys. But you already know that. :)

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 06:22:06 AM
Good luck to you and your husband in the house hunting process.  It must be exciting to know you are in the financial position to do so, and I pray you have a much better neighbor experience :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 06:53:53 AM
My husband and I have been together for... uhh... forever? Well, okay, since like 1998. Wow. Yeah. 16 years. We moved into an apartment together, things went great, then a second and third apartment.
No way that's soo cool, I met my wife the same year, 98! We also did the same thing but also upgraded at the same time, we started in this cute little "3 room" apt, just a room, kitchen/dinning and bathroom, but then moved and bumped up to a 4 room, kitchen/dinning, den/bed, bed, and bath, then after having our first kid move to a 6 room, 2 bed, Living room, dinning, kit, and bathroom! Then bought our first house and had our second kid, this time with 10 rooms, not including the attic or basement, we swore we would never move AGAIN but after problems we've downsize and gone back to apts, the wife and I want to go back to a mini place(one of these 200-300sqft) but can't do so until we kick the kids out!

Anyway, best of luck with your house search, and please keep us all up to date! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 04:16:27 PM

Here in California home prices are still high.  A quarter million gets you a home in the high crime areas.  That garage sounds awesome Lynn.   

Where I live in Southern Ontario avg house prices are 350k which is nuts to me. I dont know how first time buyers can do it.

Although in Toronto you probably have to blow well over 750k to get something decent.  We bought small and affordable.  I liked the idea of a small mortgage that if the smurf hit the fan and only one of us was working we could afford to live.  Most of my friends have mortgages double what mine is, and Im ok being in a small house with small mortgage , and small stress. :D

Now where I grew up in the north my parents house was valued at $35K.  :D  Moving 700km south really effects the prices.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 04:24:45 PM

Where I live in Southern Ontario avg house prices are 350k which is nuts to me. I dont know how first time buyers can do it.

Although in Toronto you probably have to blow well over 750k to get something decent.  We bought small and affordable.  I liked the idea of a small mortgage that if the smurf hit the fan and only one of us was working we could afford to live.  Most of my friends have mortgages double what mine is, and Im ok being in a small house with small mortgage , and small stress. :D

Now where I grew up in the north my parents house was valued at $35K.  :D  Moving 700km south really effects the prices.  :D

My wife is from Brampton, and the house prices there are crazy!  Of course, they are crazy just about everywhere.  There are a few empty lots left in our subdivision, and they want $70,000 for them!!  They're not big lots either, only 9-10,000 sq.ft!

It's exciting being able to get a new place, but I despise moving!!  It's funny, my wife and I started going together in 98 as well. 

We moved into our first apartment in 2002 I think, but we didn't really care for apartment life as we both grew up in houses with yards.  After that, we moved into a mobile home in a nice park.  The trailer was only a few years old, and it was great for just the two of us.  It was OK with one kid, but too small with too.  We went from that to a 1200sq.ft two story semi.  We were all quite happy there, and lived there for a couple of years, until my grandmother took sick.  They needed to move in town to be closer to the hospital, and we bought their house from them.

Keep us posted on how the hunting goes.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 05:06:08 PM
House prices baffle me.

The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 07:43:10 PM
I may not live in a big fancy house, but it is all paid for. I made sure to go small and something I could pay off in short order. I lived in rentals when growing up and vowed to never do that when I got older. As for housing prices, they never seem to go down.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 03:16:04 AM
Well, this evening, we finished looking at the last two places on our list, and eliminated them both. Tomorrow, we'll put a bid on our top pick.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 03:25:08 AM
..... Tomorrow, we'll put a bid on our top pick.

Good Luck, I hope it works out for you (but if you miss out on this one, I'm sure there are plenty of other houses without any horrible neighbours)  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 04:20:33 AM
I may not live in a big fancy house, but it is all paid for. I made sure to go small and something I could pay off in short order. I lived in rentals when growing up and vowed to never do that when I got older. As for housing prices, they never seem to go down.

that is so true,  except I bought my house right before the economic collapse in 2008.  my house value went down 30% real fast.  :facepalm:

it does not matter since I am not looking to sell, but if I were, it would really hurt
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline detron

Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 04:20:53 AM
Lynn,  keep us posted, and good luck

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 12:31:49 PM

that is so true,  except I bought my house right before the economic collapse in 2008.  my house value went down 30% real fast.  :facepalm:

it does not matter since I am not looking to sell, but if I were, it would really hurt
Ouch!  Luckily, we haven't had a crash yet (knock on wood), and prices keep going up.  This is good for selling, but I feel bad for first time home buyers trying to get something.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 07:15:34 PM
that is so true,  except I bought my house right before the economic collapse in 2008.  my house value went down 30% real fast. 

That's a horrible situation. We got in this place once things had more or less bottomed out.

I'm spending the day today going over comps and coming up with what I think the new place is worth. We'll meet with our real estate agent tonight, and make our offer. We're in a pretty strong bargaining position, since there are other places we can move long to if this one doesn't work out.

us Offline detron

Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 07:18:41 PM
that is so true,  except I bought my house right before the economic collapse in 2008.  my house value went down 30% real fast. 

That's a horrible situation. We got in this place once things had more or less bottomed out.

I'm spending the day today going over comps and coming up with what I think the new place is worth. We'll meet with our real estate agent tonight, and make our offer. We're in a pretty strong bargaining position, since there are other places we can move long to if this one doesn't work out.

on the bright side we are not looking to move, I wish the taxes would go down with the value, but it did not change.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 12:55:42 AM
Negotiations on the price of the place we're looking at are going well, and we hope to be settled on a price by tomorrow. It'll be $87-88,000.

Then on to inspections.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 12:58:15 AM
Negotiations on the price of the place we're looking at are going well, and we hope to be settled on a price by tomorrow. It'll be $87-88,000.

Then on to inspections.

:2tu: Hoping for the best. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 01:28:41 AM
Best of luck Lynn, I'll have my fingers crossed for you and hubby!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%