Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Army One-Hand Master Road Tour

Offline Jake1421

Swiss Army One-Hand Master Road Tour
on: June 08, 2014, 07:15:53 PM
This is an interesting knife, but I dont know much about it.  Sure, I know its basically a new Soldier model, but has the metal saw (no the wood saw) and the "master road tour" engraving on the main blade. 

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Victorinox/Victorinox%C2%AE+Road+Tour+Collection+One+Hand+Master%26%23153%3B/V54840.html

This certainly looks like a useful knife (especially for urban carry), but is this a 'collectable' knife?  I mean was it, or is it, a limited edition, harder to find, etc?  I'm kinda waiting for a good sale and then pick up 2 - one to carry and one to put away if its a collectable knife.  But if these are going to be hard to find maybe I should not wait.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Swiss Army One-Hand Master Road Tour
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 07:27:29 PM
This is the first time I've seen it though I don't keep track of Vic's latest.

I like it, except for that damned serrated blade :td:
SAW

Offline Jake1421

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 07:33:36 PM
Ha..... right!  I'm not a fan of that serrated blade either.  And, I would like to see the non-army handles with a spot for the tweezers and toothpick (or better yet, maybe a pen or needle) - I never really use the toothpick.  Those are my only reasons for hesitation id picking one up.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 07:37:55 PM
I need the tweezers and toothpick. Thanks for pointing that out, I had overlooked it. Though I do own a Dual Pro X which I like very much and it lacks them also, it does not have the serrations on the main blade.
SAW

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 08:15:07 PM
I prefer the serrated blade on the 111's, they are way more aggressive, I might be the only one though, lol... The nicest thing about the MRT is the file, it's truly outstanding! :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 08:32:30 PM
Not that new. Came out in 2010 if I am not mistaken.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 08:47:56 PM
Not that new. Came out in 2010 if I am not mistaken.

Definitely not new,I have one around here somewhere.

Chako,I think it came out a year later in 2011.

Thanks for posting the picture,now I don't have to go and find mine.

They can be bought for about $10.00 cheaper than at SMKW.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 08:52:12 PM
I like it. But it should have T&T and scissors :)

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 12:42:59 AM
Here's my MRT, sorry Reinier, no scissors... :D This has been on my workbench since I got it, it's really handy. I did add the black nylon scales and modified them a little so they come out of my pouch better, the scales tend to hang up on the seam inside the nylon pouch at the phillips pivot. Also added a lanyard (on a 58mm split ring) for retrieval from the pouch. Also the serrated blade needs to be sharpened at the tip for any efficient piercing operations. The locking liners have small nubs pressed into them to slow the blade (I think?) from deploying too quickly, and I tend to file these nubs down on my 111's. I usually use the file on the MRT to do this, but I had to use the file on a SwissChamp for the MRT. I have probably eliminated any collector value for this particular knife, but it will replace my Trailmaster for work when I retire it, very soon. I did want to swap a corkscrew in place of the phillips and add the mini SD before I carry it to work full time, but I might just leave it as is. It's a really useful tool. :tu: I have thoroughly enjoyed carrying the Spirit at work, and it's generally a great tool, but it's fairly heavy and I have pliers nearby most always. It does make the EDC rotation a lot, but not in cold weather. What I like the about the 111's are the OH blades that are glove friendly, light, minimalist, and easy to deploy in a hurry. I think in an OHT vs. MRT comparison, one would have to go with what they find most useful, the saw or the file. I use the file quite a bit, the saw not so much. The file does have a fine saw blade so you don't totally lose saw function with the file, so that decides it (for me at least). Final analysis would be buy 2, one for the collection and one to use. ;)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 210.57 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 05:33:16 AM
I don't think they're hard to find, but I'm not totally sure on that, same with the collector factor.  I have one, and really like it, but unfortunately, it doesn't find its way into my usual carry lineups.  Since it lacks scissors and the scale tools, I have to pair it with one of my SAKs, as well as a multitool because I like to have pliers.  I do also like the blade for some tasks, but do wish it had more of a point at the tip.  I'm also not skilled at sharpening, especially serrations. 
K-Tibbs

Offline Jake1421

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 07:29:21 AM
Super great responses to this, and I have to 100% agree.  I did forget about scissors as an option, and I'd purchase one in a heartbeat if it had scissors and the T&T in the handle.

To ask the obvious,.......... why does Vic just do that?  It's one more layer, come on! 

And GREAT mod twiliter!  I see your 'point' with the point of the main blade, but great idea to swap out handles.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:31:24 AM by Jake1421 »

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 08:15:29 AM
Well at the moment there are no OH models with scissors. No idea why. I believe the pin size is different but that shouldn't be a problem?
Adding scissors means you also get a phillips :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 01:55:53 PM
The lack of scissors is why these models (OHT, MRT, etc.) are not great stand alone knives IMO, good but not perfect. I carry them in a pouch (another issue), with either a Signature or a Compact in pocket. Same thing for me with alox models, no scale tools or scissors for me means carrying a companion. The 91mm's are still the best stand alones for my purposes, no pouch required and best choice of tool selection. Sometimes I find myself with 3 SAK's on me, which when I think about it is kinda silly...   :)

us Offline twiliter

Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 02:39:53 PM
And GREAT mod twiliter!  I see your 'point' with the point of the main blade, but great idea to swap out handles.

I so hated to remove those gray/black dual density scales, they are just  :drool:

I did repurpose them on a cheese knife though, so I get to see them daily in my knife block. They are easier to keep sanitary than wood, and now I have a nice set of wood scales to put on something too. The DD scales are grippy to the point of hanging up in the pouch, which is the other reason I changed them.  :tu:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 304.44 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 04:48:00 PM
The lack of scissors is why these models (OHT, MRT, etc.) are not great stand alone knives IMO, good but not perfect. I carry them in a pouch (another issue), with either a Signature or a Compact in pocket. Same thing for me with alox models, no scale tools or scissors for me means carrying a companion. The 91mm's are still the best stand alones for my purposes, no pouch required and best choice of tool selection. Sometimes I find myself with 3 SAK's on me, which when I think about it is kinda silly...   :)

I agree.  If it had scissors and scale tools, it would be just fine as a stand alone SAK for me to pair with a non-OHO bladed multitool.  I do like the plus scales on the 91mm SAKs though as the straight pin has come in handy occasionally.  Moreso for my wife than me, but I do like to have the scale tool options so that when she or someone else needs tweezers or a needle, I can provide one, which helps show them that they should get themselves one ;) 

It's the same for me with the Alox as well.  I originally thought I was fine with carrying an Alox, but I've had too many instances where myself or someone else had use for scale tools.  So I could carry my Classic, but there are no plus scales for that.  I'm finding as you said, that the 91mm is the best for my needs. 

Sorry for the thread derail ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 05:37:31 PM
Great comments on this thread.  I also sharpened the tip for penetation on both my OH Trekker Serrated and OHT Non- Serrated.  Both blades are very useful.  I tend to use the serrated a little rougher on tasks I wouldnt want to harm the plain edge.

The serrations sharpen real nice using 7 strokes on the chizel side and 2 strokes on the other side.  Strop using he same ratio.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%