Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need advice: What is this Wenger Tool Chest Plus worth?

Offline RedRamage

Okay folks, I need some help.  I bought a Wenger off eBay and it came today.  Unfortunately, I'm finding the description to be a little less than accurate.  Here's the description:
ALL OF THE TOOLS ARE CRISP AND CLEAN, THEY ARE NOT WORN AT ALL, THE KNIVES HAVE NOT BEEN SHARPENED AND STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL FACTORY EDGE, SEE PHOTOS, THE TWEEZERS ARE MISSING BUT I THINK I CSAN TAKE A PAIR OUT OF ANOTHER SWISS ARMY KNIFE TO COMPLETE THIS ONE, ONE SIDE HAS AN ENGRAVING WITH THE PREVIOUS OWNERS INITIALS "P.T.M." SOME SCRATCHES AND SOME TINY CHIPS HAVE BEEN WORN OUT OF BODY BUT IS STILL IN FAIR SHAPE, EACH FUNCTION OPENS AND LOCKS TIGHT , SCISSORS ARE CLEAN AND SO IS THE COMPASS.
About the only thing accurate is that the Body (Scales) are in Fair Shape.  And even calling it 'Fair' is generous in my opinion.

But I knew is was used and that the scales wouldn't be great... I'm okay with that.  The bigger issue, in my opinion, is the tools.  Specifically the seller said 'Crisp and Clean.'  They are neither.  While they aren't worn, they aren't crisp at all.  Only a few "click" open.  None really seem to 'snap' closed... some even you have to push closed.  They do stay closed when pushed into position.  Finally, a number of the tools I literally need to pry open.  I have to pull out my EDC and open the screwdriver and pry them open.

I think it's just a dirty knife.  I think a good cleaning will help significantly, but I don't know for sure.  Also, I feel like I got it for a decent price, so I'm not 100% sure what to do with this.  I want to complain to the seller a little bit because I think his auction was misleading, but even with the knife in the condition that it is in I'm not sure that I didn't get a good price for it.

So, assuming you wanted a Wenger Tool Chest Plus, and assuming you knew ahead of time what condition it was in (that is, scales are pretty beat up, tools themselves are in good condition, but do not open or close easily at all), what would you have offered to pay for a knife like this?  Assume we're doing a face-to-face meeting so you can verify the condition is as I described before paying and you don't have to pay for shipping.

I guess I'm trying to decide if I should ask for a refund or reduced price, or you tell him that while I'm okay with the condition, that I'm feel his description is way off.

Thanks.
2014-06-09 11.27.16.jpg
* 2014-06-09 11.27.16.jpg (Filesize: 67.38 KB)
2014-06-09 11.27.26.jpg
* 2014-06-09 11.27.26.jpg (Filesize: 53.59 KB)
2014-06-09 11.28.04.jpg
* 2014-06-09 11.28.04.jpg (Filesize: 227.36 KB)

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Need advice: What is this Wenger Tool Chest Plus worth?
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:03:50 PM
I paid 85. 00 for almost mint condition. I don't think I would pay more than 30.00 from the sound of it. Hope you got a deal. Maybe a good cleaning and oiling will bring it back.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:26:46 PM
I would ask for my money back.

This is one of the reasons why I rarely buy used knives on ebay,improper descriptions.When there are obscure or unclear photos,I pass.True high resolution photos would have revealed any and all defects in this knife.

If I had the opportunity to view this tool in person before purchasing it,I would have offered the seller $30.00.

This is my humble opinion.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 07:40:11 PM
Hard to judge from pictures, sorry.  I would email seller with your pictures and gripes, see if they offer a solution ( some money back ).  If you would have paid less if you were face to face then maybe straight out say ask for specific amount to be returned. 

I bought a tool and was disappointed in the tool based off description and emailed seller telling him exactly that.  He said he described the tool as best he could.  I told him simply that while the tool was in decent condition many other word cold have been chosen to describe it.  We can to a fair compromise and some money was returned. 

Ask yourself what you would have paid in this condition?  What is the sellers feedback rating?  I never assume the seller won't be accommodating so ask and see what happens.   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 08:16:28 PM
I'm on my phone so I can't give a significant answer, but the bottom line is, if you aren't happy then contact the seller. The worst that can happen is nothing.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 08:26:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm already upset with the seller because he took 9 days to put it in the mail.  He purchased shipping on the 29th of may (which was already 2 business days after I paid), but then the tracking didn't up.  I contacted him twice and he assured me there was just a little delay but it was coming and just be patient.  Well, two days later and it still didn't show up so I started a case in eBay, then it finally got shipped.

So I sorta hate to complain again, but this is really in a lot rougher condition that I expected.  The good news is that I only ended up paying $31, which included shipping, so based on what so of the rest of you are saying it sounds like I paid near market value for what I got.

This has been, by far, my worst eBay transaction.  Generally I've gotten good condition ... or at least accurately described condition knives when I bought used.  Once in a while I'll get something and think: "This isn't really want I was expecting", but that's rare and usually it's only off a little bit.  I just make a note of the seller, call it good enough, and move on.  But this time... I just don't feel that it's an accurate description or pictures.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 08:28:44 PM
I would ask for my money back.

This is one of the reasons why I rarely buy used knives on ebay,improper descriptions.When there are obscure or unclear photos,I pass.True high resolution photos would have revealed any and all defects in this knife.

If I had the opportunity to view this tool in person before purchasing it,I would have offered the seller $30.00.

This is my humble opinion.

I've done very well on ebay.

early 80's Craftsman excellent+  $10
Brand new Farmer and Alox Bantom $46
excellent almost new Onyx Huntsman $15
Good with a few scratches but lots of life in it climber $3

Theirs more but these at some of my better deals.  Its easy dont bid if you have any doubt at all and never tell your self you have to have it because another good deal well be along soon so have the willpower to pass.

Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 08:43:05 PM
Make sure to leave the proper feedback as well.  I have also done very well on the bay of fleas as there are great deals to be had. 

Gene Stoner said it best  "don't bid if you have any doubt at all and never tell your self you have to have it because another good deal well be along soon so have the willpower to pass."  If there aren't great pictures I pass because lets face it most current phones have great picture taking capabilities.

I'd still email seller and let him know you are unhappy and you plan to leave the appropriate feedback. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline RedRamage

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:36:28 PM
Message has been sent.  We'll see what happens.  I told him that I didn't consider this Clean and Crisp and the scales aren't really even in fair condition.  I said in person I would have only paid $20.  We'll see what happens.  Honestly, if he offers me $5 back I'd consider it good.

us Offline colt 1911

Need advice: What is this Wenger Tool Chest Plus worth?
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 10:08:33 PM
TBH I have done very well with sak's an MT on bay, I prefer the flea market cause its hands on, hope it turns out for you and hopefully and most importantly  you can re-life the tool chest. I am sure you can find some scales around here if you put the word out.

Sak's  rule !
CHEERS

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 10:20:40 PM
Not sure how much the shipping was but it seems like a good buy to me, not sure if you bought it from a knife trader but a non knife person may have just been describing the tools as crisp not the opening and closing.

If I saw it in the flesh at $31 with no damaged tools I would buy it and clean it up.

Some hot water and soap a bit of work on the scales and you should have it like new :)

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 10:25:28 PM
Make sure to leave the proper feedback as well.  I have also done very well on the bay of fleas as there are great deals to be had. 

Gene Stoner said it best  "don't bid if you have any doubt at all and never tell your self you have to have it because another good deal well be along soon so have the willpower to pass."  If there aren't great pictures I pass because lets face it most current phones have great picture taking capabilities.

I'd still email seller and let him know you are unhappy and you plan to leave the appropriate feedback.
+1 that's what the feedback system is there for :salute:
SAW

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 10:50:14 PM
I'd say the price sounds about right.

You might be surprised what a good clean in warm soapy water followed by a flush with WD40 and then oiling with light mineral oil will do.

The scales might also respond to a rub over with Brasso.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 11:44:46 PM
As long as it cleans up well you got a good deal for 31 dollars. 

I always assume the worst when the pics are poorly lit or blurry, but sometimes..it comes it better condition as expected because the seller had a poor quality camera

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 10:15:43 PM
Keep it, ask for reduced price due "way off" description,
clen it up, and you got one of the greatest scores ... :D :D >:D

Offline RedRamage

Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 02:34:23 AM

Parts 1 & 2 complete.... He's giving me $6 off the price.  Now I just gotta do part 3.  And part 4: Re-scale it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 03:30:33 AM
Sound very fair to me  :tu:.  I look forward to seeing what you make of this.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline DMA1965

Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 05:37:23 AM
I have had my share of bad eBay experiences, but the vast majority are good.  I am always scouring for great SAK deals.  I recently bought a lot of 55 SAK knives for around $250 dollars (and none were classics).  Here are some that went through the first washing just fine:

I like to clean them up and play with different blade grinds, as well as practice the art of scale changing and upgrading.  I might start trying my hand at modding someday.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 11:40:55 PM

Parts 1 & 2 complete.... He's giving me $6 off the price.  Now I just gotta do part 3.  And part 4: Re-scale it.
:2tu:
And ... part 5. presentation :pok: :D :D >:D

:popcorn:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 11:47:02 PM
I like to clean them up and play with different blade grinds, as well as practice the art of scale changing and upgrading.  I might start trying my hand at modding someday.
You definitely should :D ... btw, nice sak-forest :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD