Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Miniature?

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Miniature?
on: June 17, 2014, 05:01:39 PM
I've loved SAK's since about the time I discovered pocket knives as a very young teenager. I became a knife knut, and got involved in all kinds of knives, but after a time, they became less and less in my life, and SAK's became the norm. Being in the army did a lot for my appreciation of all things that had multiple uses, and didn't take up much space in a pocket. Add in a lifetime of being an avid backpacker and hiker, and space and weight becomes very important. As I got older, I got frantic to trim any ounces I could from my load.

Even today, as a senior citizen I don't backpack anymore, age and arthritis and an old service injury taken it's toll. But the better half and I still woods walk, and camp, and I still obsess over how small can an item get and still do it's intend job. Lie 58mm SAK's. I've found thru experimentation that I can get by doing most things with a 58mm, even though a larger tool would do better. In my day to day suburban life, I want the smallest pocket knife I can get away with, the smallest flashlight, smallest compass, and so on. I love small. Small and still functional is what bakes my cookie. Maybe it's kind of reverse snobbery, but I love taking out a Vic classic and breaking down a large box while somebody who made a comment that I'll need more knife, watches. Or driving from our home in Maryland, to visit relatives in Florida, in our Smart Car.

I guess when it's all said and done, the 58mm is my favorite SAK, with the executive next up on the list. The 74mm is like a classic on steroids. An extra knife blade, larger scissors, and still very pocketable for a large city like Washington D.C., NYC, or London. With a classic or rambler on my keyring, I go about my life in modern suburbia very well.

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Miniature?
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:31:01 PM
In my day to day suburban life, I want ...... the smallest flashlight, ...... and so on. I love small. Small and still functional is what bakes my cookie.
In that case may I suggest you try out a Photon Freedom Micro - small, light and very versatile.  My personal favourite is the covert nose version, as it stops the sometimes annoying side glare you can get from the exposed LED of the standard version.  They are even available in colours.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 06:39:26 PM
Mr. cbl51, you sound just like "Jackknife" (Carl) on the interwebs, who is also retired and also has an affinity for the 58mm SAK.  And I think is from Maryland.   You aren't him in disguise, are you?  :)

I like the Photon lights, and own a few. But for me they are more of a backup light than something you use daily or often.  I prefer something in an AAA form factor like the Fenix E01 or E05.  Still small, but regulated so as to have non-diminishing output, and with plenty of usable light.  And the ability to use Eneloop or other rechargeable batteries.  Just my preference.

I share your affinity for minimize size and maximum utility, though I don't always abide by it.  But for the most part, everything I carry is centered on that concept.  Rock on.

Victorinox 74mm Executive.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 07:09:44 PM
My favorite keychain flashlight is the eGear. The local hardware store sells them for just $1.99 on occasion. They throw a surprising amount of light for just 4 hearing aid batteries (which I purchase very cheaply on ebay in packs of 10 for about $1 or $2).

http://www.amazon.com/eGear-PICO-Zipper-Light-Blue/dp/B001SAM0IQ

eGear also makes a very compact lightweight headlight, runs on 2 x 2032 cells, great beam to it.

au Offline archerwin

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:48:43 PM
I EDC my MiniChamp lite. Great little tool with all the basics I need plus the ball pen and flashlight which I have used countless of times already. It's been with me for close to two years now and was part of my key chain since Day 1. Battery for the white LED light is still going strong.

The big tools like my Rescue SAK stays in the car.

It will be interesting if Vic manufactures an Executive plus Lite though, bigger tools with pen and flashlight will be a winner for me!

archerwinsak.blogspot.com.au

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:07:13 PM
I love the mindset of smaller daily carry items.  I do believe age, experience, trial and error, all mixed with a little bit of ingenuity we could all slim our non work day carry down. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 11:43:34 PM
I like to carry a 58mm vic (rambler, midnite manager, minichamp  I and II) on a lanyard around my neck

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%