Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Serious Sak Rival's?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Serious Sak Rival's?
on: June 16, 2008, 03:21:56 PM
Although I am and probably forever will be a Sak man, are there any genuine alternative's in the Sak mould ???

I'm thinking like the Aitor's of this world, that follow the lines of a Sak of a given size, but add there own design of tool's ???

So what delight's are we missing out on by staying true to our Swiss faith ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Re: Serious Sak Rival's?
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:08:51 PM
There was the Schrade ISC line of SAK clones that were German made.If there weren't already the original SAKs to be compared against,I guess they would've reckoned as being  a good piece of gear.
I

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:22:22 PM
There was the Schrade ISC line of SAK clones that were German made.If there weren't already the original SAKs to be compared against,I guess they would've reckoned as being  a good piece of gear.
I've never seen those ???

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:27:24 PM
I my eyes there are no serious SAK rivals, even if you stray you will eventually return to SAK.   It is a blessing / curse kinda relationship.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 10:54:08 PM
I think the biggest competition/rival to the SAK has been plier based Multitools.
for years and years nothing was more reliable than the trusty, compact SAK.

then Tim Leatherman made that deal with the devil (joke) and things have been different
ever since.

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 11:08:42 PM
Gentleman you've raised two good point's there, yes you would always go back to Vic and Wenger, I was just interested if there was any 'close cousin's' :)

An WD your spot on, I think you right there only creditable competition come's from plier based tool's now.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 11:15:46 PM
I suppose it depends on what you mean by rival.

I would say that in terms of functionailty, everything we ever discuss on this forum is a rival of sorts. Or are you thinking of tools with the same form factor as your traditional SAK?

By that I mean, something like the LM Squirt (for me) is a better bet than an equivalent sized SAK, simply because it packs more tools in there, but I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

I wouldn't for example, call my favourite tool (LM Charge) a rival to an SAK, as it's a very different animal, and should probably be compared to the Swisstool / Spirit I guess (neither of which I've ever owned so apologies if I'm off the mark).

Maybe the Juice series is a rival to the SAK?

Quote from: Micky D
So what delight's are we missing out on by staying true to our Swiss faith?

I'd say you're missing out on nothing. The SAK is an icon, a classic. Frankly, I don't think how it compares to other tools is relevant. If you are "faithful" to the SAK, it's probably more likely to be your admiration of the form and tradition that's important to you, rather than how fast you can saw through a tree trunk with it. I notice on this forum that the Swisschamp rarely crops up as the "favourite" or "best" SAK. You all seem to favour the more minimal knives (like the alox cadets and custom jobs that Scibeer has shared with us).

Of course, I'm saying all this as someone who is a paid-up member of the Leatherman appreciation society, and whilst fond of my Swisschamp, wouldn't swap my Charge TTi for anything! Although I do use the toothpick on my swisschamp a lot, as the LM diamond file was damaging my enamel ;)

I used to come here a lot.

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 11:23:02 PM
No what I meant was that over the years a lot of Sak clones have come out, and while a good many of them are utter tat and should be scrapped on site, there are still some genuine decent imatation Sak's out there like these one's...

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=311&Itemid=35

I just wondered if there were any more like it ???

Don't worry I'm not about to foreswear my oath to the swiss :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:31:05 PM

Come Micky, come to the dark side  >:D

OK, I'm with you now. I don't really collect SAKs, but own one and EDC it. It does have sentimental value to me, but the innovation in the design, the quality of the build and the sheer damn originality of it mean that it has no serious rival in my book. Surely anything resembling it (like the Dreizack in you link) can only be considered an imitation can't it? Even that article calls it a "knock-off".

The imitations flatter it, they don't make it a rival.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 11:34:07 PM
At the moment, the Squirt is definitely in direct competition with the SAK, for me at least.

I initially began carrying a 58mm Signature II that I received as a gift. Later, I picked up a red Squirt P4. Side by side, the two almost look like distant cousins.

For a while I carried both. The main reason for carrying the SAK was for the nail file and scissors. I have workarounds for those 2 implements though, and would be fine with just the P4 now.

The P4 also has a file though much rougher and I also carry a little fine grade sandpaper in my wallet. Most of the things I used the SAK scissors for could be done with the P4 knife.

Very recently, I acutally dumped both and started carrying either an Explorer or Wenger Handyman. I have missed the pliers though and may start carrying the P4 again.

But the point is that I replaced a 58mm SAK with a Squirt, and then later replaced a Squirt with an 85mm or 91 mm SAK. So the two companies are rivals for my pocket space, at least...  ;)

[

Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 11:38:49 PM

Come Micky, come to the dark side  >:D

OK, I'm with you now. I don't really collect SAKs, but own one and EDC it. It does have sentimental value to me, but the innovation in the design, the quality of the build and the sheer damn originality of it mean that it has no serious rival in my book. Surely anything resembling it (like the Dreizack in you link) can only be considered an imitation can't it? Even that article calls it a "knock-off".

The imitations flatter it, they don't make it a rival.
NEVER!!! :D

You've a good point, an imitation does not a rival make, but they can be interesting pieces in there own right, especially if they add there own accent to the Sak theme :)

So what's the Sak that you have ten mate ???

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:53:05 PM
Just me swisschamp, and of course the unique, "Bad Rivet" model that I carved out of a swiss memory :D

As for the imitations, I have this Gerber Suspension now, so that could be a rival to my LMs in the same way that the Dreizack or one of the other interesting pieces you have in mind might rival Vic or Wenger.

Although the Gerber has some interesting ideas, at the end of the day - it's really just a copy of the LM design.

Vic brought out the Swisstool to compete with Leatherman type tools, Leatherman brought out the Juice range to appeal to people who might buy Vics. The truth is I'd rather carry a Vic over a Juice, and my Charge over a Swisstool. The "accents" that each company has added to the others basic designs is definitely interesting. Do they rival each other? - yeah maybe they do.

Anyway, you know what to do - get them all :D

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 11:54:45 PM
Now a man could quite possibly buy all the LM's in this world, but all the Sak's :o :o :o

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 11:59:18 PM
Now a man could quite possibly buy all the LM's in this world, but all the Sak's :o :o :o

Yeah - fair point. How many models do Vic confess to have produced? They must have a museum or something that would know that.

Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 12:02:16 AM

Yeah - fair point. How many models do Vic confess to have produced? They must have a museum or something that would know that.
Vic's current sak model list is 400 models, so it'd be a very big, very scary number :o , then you add Wenger...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 12:05:33 AM

Vic's current sak model list is 400 models, so it'd be a very big, very scary number :o , then you add Wenger...

It would be big wouldn't it? Someone will know how big. Wikipedia doesn't, it seems.

Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 12:13:08 AM
But...wiki know's all :D

I don't really collect sak's as such, but I do seem to have picked a few of the bugger's up over time :D

Offline kent ct

Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 12:14:56 AM
 The American boy scout knife. Looks like it was based on the Swiss Army Soldier. Most of the American companies made them. I even saw a Case model on Ebay. Camillus made a US Army model too. I think this would make an interesting area of collectability, at least the better made ones which I don't think were very many, if any.

Richard

Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 12:16:55 AM
The American boy scout knife. Looks like it was based on the Swiss Army Soldier. Most of the American companies made them. I even saw a Case model on Ebay. Camillus made a US Army model too. I think this would make an interesting area of collectability, at least the better made ones which I don't think were very many, if any.

Richard
Some of them look VERY robust, and there's something about bail's that really appeals too me :)

Good idea mate :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 12:36:46 AM
Although I am and probably forever will be a Sak man, are there any genuine alternative's in the Sak mould ???

Never owned one of these, but did fondle one in a store:
http://www.knivesplus.com/CA-124-Case.HTML

Still own one of these, (although with commoner, cheaper scales):
http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Brand&Brand=23&SKU=CA5530

IMHO the Case Camper line are damned good knives - functionally as good as the simpler SAK models.

They are strong, durable knives, which I EDCed for years before changing over to SAKs.

My only gripe with them was the lack of a Phillips driver, but many people seem to prefer SAKs without a Phillips.

N

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 12:39:10 AM
I have a small Case knife, and I agree - there's not much wrong with the quality at all. Very well made indeed.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 12:54:53 AM

Richard

The Case and Camillus Boy Scout and US Army knives were/are functionally as good as a simple SAK.

I owned a number of the Scout and Army knives by both Case and Camillus over the years.  Strong and durable knives.

Fit and finish on the Scout knives was pretty darned good, while the Army knives typically had a little rougher finish on them, but they were also cheaper - maybe half the price of the Scout knives IIRC.

N

Offline Hoghead

Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 01:31:23 AM
US pocket knife on ebay
 http://cgi.ebay.com/US-ISSUE-FOLDING-4-BLADE-POCKET-KNIFE-STAINLESS-HANDLE_W0QQitemZ220246204814QQihZ012QQcategoryZ135QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another link to US knife
http://www.donrearic.com/demoknife1.htm

I have a couple of these and I like them. They aren't as well finished as a SAK, but I'm glad to have them.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 01:39:47 AM
I have a Cammilus Boy Scout knife.. I find it is very well made.. I like the awl SO much!
B

Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 07:44:59 AM

Now that I like, and it looks damn reasonable for the money too :)

Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 07:46:39 AM
US pocket knife on ebay
 http://cgi.ebay.com/US-ISSUE-FOLDING-4-BLADE-POCKET-KNIFE-STAINLESS-HANDLE_W0QQitemZ220246204814QQihZ012QQcategoryZ135QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another link to US knife
http://www.donrearic.com/demoknife1.htm

I have a couple of these and I like them. They aren't as well finished as a SAK, but I'm glad to have them.
I've liked Demo knives for a long ole while now :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 04:43:29 PM

Now that I like, and it looks damn reasonable for the money too :)

Here is the classic Case Camper model (of which I've owned several over the years):
http://www.knivesplus.com/CA-114-Case.HTML

These are very strong knives with good fit and finish.

Will hold up for many years of hard use - unless lost or stolen, which sadly was the fate of most of my Case Campers.

If Case would ever see fit to include a Phillips driver, I might still be EDCing a Case instead of a Vic Tinker.

N

Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 05:57:49 PM

If Case would ever see fit to include a Phillips driver, I might still be EDCing a Case instead of a Vic Tinker.

I was thinking they should install a saw :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 07:50:22 PM

I was thinking they should install a saw :)

Just remembered another reason that I gave up on Case Campers for EDC:  a Case Camper weighs in at 4 ounces!

Compare that weight to a similar capability SAK, which should probably weigh in at just over half that.

I would say the Case Camper is probably a stronger knife overall that a comparable SAK, but SAKs are generally strong enough for my EDC needs.

N

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 09:31:32 PM
I had a Case Camper and in no way, shape, or form did it even come close to comparing to a SAK. I may have gotten a lemon though. And as for strength? The Case Camper may be stronger than a cellidor handled SAK but I doubt it's as strong as an ALOX handled one.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%