Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Serious Sak Rival's?

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Re: Serious Sak Rival's?
Reply #60 on: June 24, 2008, 04:36:57 PM
Found a Camillus (don't know the model) that could be considered as a good optios.

Carlos

Nice looking Camillus there, Carlos.

Is that an awl or a Phillips driver?  Hard to tell from the pic.

It's a phillips, sorry for the pic. This knife belongs to a friend and he sent me the picture in a hurry.

Considering the can opener, i'm not sure if we will ever need a can opener again (i like can openers in my tools!), since almost all the cans have that easy opening system now.

Carlos
(

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #61 on: June 24, 2008, 08:16:44 PM
Found a Camillus (don't know the model) that could be considered as a good optios.

Carlos

Nice looking Camillus there, Carlos.

Is that an awl or a Phillips driver?  Hard to tell from the pic.

It's a phillips, sorry for the pic. This knife belongs to a friend and he sent me the picture in a hurry.

Considering the can opener, i'm not sure if we will ever need a can opener again (i like can openers in my tools!), since almost all the cans have that easy opening system now.

Carlos

Thanks for clearing that up, Carlos.  Thought it was a Phillips, but couldn't be completely sure from the pic.

I'd never seen a Camillus model like that, but now that I know they exist I'll keep an eye out for used ones.

Man, I was sure sorry to see Camillus fold up and go away.

They always made solid, good quality knives.  Many different interesting models with excellent fit and finish.  Their Boy Scout knives were among the best ever made.

N

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 10:26:17 PM
i completely agree with you, Camillus made excellent knives and at very good prices. It's a shame they had to close

Carlos
(

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: July 04, 2008, 02:50:20 AM
I just thought of SAK in a category all there own because even if you see another similar knife you think to yourself (at least I do) that looks like a SAK.  Just as most ppl see a multi tool and call it a Leatherman.  I always liked that a SAK was different than a reg knife in that it had other things besides just knife blades :D

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #64 on: July 24, 2008, 01:49:29 AM
Although I am and probably forever will be a Sak man, are there any genuine alternative's in the Sak mould ???
So what delight's are we missing out on by staying true to our Swiss faith ???

For those willing to pay a little more for a fancier knife, this Boker looks amazingly good:

440C implements, Nickle-Silver bolsters, Brass liners, Stag scales, 3.5 inches OAL, 3.6 ounces.

N

Offline Steel Blade

Reply #65 on: July 24, 2008, 08:12:31 PM
One of the beauties of a SAK however is that you can replace it very easily if it is lost or stolen, and at a reasonable cost.

That Boker looks nice and I have looked at it for a few months but I know that I have Sak's that have equal or better specs. I would carry an Explorer, but I find it a bit heavy for edc pocket carry, and that knife looks even heavier AND it has no scale tools!

My motto is, if you can't fix it with a SAK, get another SAK that will, or reach for the Spirit. (Vic of course or Gordon's)

Bob
Y

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #66 on: July 24, 2008, 10:38:35 PM

My motto is, if you can't fix it with a SAK, get another SAK that will, or reach for the Spirit. (Vic of course or Gordon's)

Bob
:D :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #67 on: July 24, 2008, 11:06:30 PM
One of the beauties of a SAK however is that you can replace it very easily if it is lost or stolen, and at a reasonable cost.

Agree wholeheartedly - I would be very hesitant to EDC such an expensive knife as that Boker.

However, a price that's expensive for me may be regarded as mere chump change by some members of this forum.

Thing is, I've seen lots of pics on this forum of various SAKs modded with quite fancy scales.  By the time you buy the SAK, buy the fancy scales, pay someone to do the mod, then you might be approaching the price of this Boker.

That Boker looks nice and I have looked at it for a few months but I know that I have Sak's that have equal or better specs. I would carry an Explorer, but I find it a bit heavy for edc pocket carry, and that knife looks even heavier AND it has no scale tools!

It's heavier because of the all that Nickle-Silver used in the bolsters and bail, and the brass liners which are heavier than aluminum liners found in SAKs.  Many people prefer that extra heft in a small pocket knife - it gives at least an impression of greater strength and quality.

Boker's 440C is probably somewhat better than steel used in SAK implements - its higher Rockwell number will result in it holding an edge a little better.

N

Offline Steel Blade

Reply #68 on: July 24, 2008, 11:45:48 PM
I carried an Aitor Champion look-alike for a while. It had a fork tool/cap-lifter on it that I occasionally found handy. The steel was highly polished, an excellent finish. The saw was good but not up to Vic standards, Can-opener small s/d was fine. The nail file small chisel was the worst feature. The nail-file didn't work. It was a good blade and "almost there' was the best way to describe the knife. Or to put it another way, if it was all I had I would gladly carry it again. I did like the fork tool and I wish Vic would do something similar.

Bob
Y

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #69 on: July 24, 2008, 11:47:41 PM
I must admit to always wanting to have a look at an Aitor, but there a silly price over here ::)

And since Andy pointed out the plier equiped model... :drool:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #70 on: July 25, 2008, 09:21:15 AM
The prices at this site look downright reasonable:  http://www.jls-wednesbury.org/id36.html
I have been trying to order from them, but am having difficulty getting a quote for shipping to the States.
email communication with them doesn't seem to work, though they do answer their phone.
If you are in the UK, their shipping is free. 

Aitor 108s should be more UK-friendly than most multis, since they have no locking mechanisms
(and stiff enough backsprings so you don't really need them) and the blades are just under the limit.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:30:48 AM by AndyTiedye »
R

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: July 25, 2008, 10:51:56 AM
Not for me there are copies and for some folk serious rivals ,but the combination of practicallity and the non threatening sheeple friendly appeal of a S.A.K means they are my first choice

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #72 on: July 25, 2008, 07:19:21 PM
Mine too.   Aitors are interesting for hobos,  which Victorinox and Wenger have never made,
and for 108s, which they no longer make.

R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD