Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show off your Sak mod's!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Show off your Sak mod's!
Reply #4950 on: July 05, 2017, 11:47:31 AM
Thanks Mags... Am still figuring out if I need to do anything to the can opener... guess some whittling time will tell me... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline timganev

Reply #4951 on: July 10, 2017, 09:12:25 AM
Great mods as usual TimGanev  :cheers: Looking forward to the hex driver  :ahhh

This is my mini 84mm Soldier with plus scales - last mod - Hex Bit Driver

https://youtu.be/SfrFjVGg9OE
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:16:59 AM by timganev »

Offline Ryan Adney

• New User
Reply #4952 on: July 15, 2017, 10:10:28 PM
This isn't much of a mod, but I wanted to try adding a small sewing kit to a 58mm SAK. I thought that it should have room for a needle, some thread, three shirt buttons (one which is for the sleeve placket). Also, I didn't want to give up the T&T.

I have a small 3d printer (Monoprice MP Select Mini) that prints in PLA and ABS. Using a cheap Harbor Freight caliper and TinkerCad online, I came up with a set of new scales for a donor SD that I got for a few dollars. It took a few tries to line up the holes on the scales with the rivets on the knife. Some sandpaper and a little time made up the difference.

It's not a small mod. In fact, it makes the SD really large, but it makes for steadier tool use. As this is the first iteration of the design, I'm still working out details. I need a better way to store the thread and needle, but I love how the buttons are stored. It makes me smile. Each of the holes is a pass-through and you can poke the tweezers through to pop out the button.

Ryan
IMG_9827.JPG
* IMG_9827.JPG (Filesize: 65.16 KB)
IMG_9837.jpg
* IMG_9837.jpg (Filesize: 129.58 KB)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:12:01 PM by Ryan Adney »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4953 on: July 16, 2017, 12:38:26 AM
This isn't much of a mod, but I wanted to try adding a small sewing kit to a 58mm SAK. I thought that it should have room for a needle, some thread, three shirt buttons (one which is for the sleeve placket). Also, I didn't want to give up the T&T.

I have a small 3d printer (Monoprice MP Select Mini) that prints in PLA and ABS. Using a cheap Harbor Freight caliper and TinkerCad online, I came up with a set of new scales for a donor SD that I got for a few dollars. It took a few tries to line up the holes on the scales with the rivets on the knife. Some sandpaper and a little time made up the difference.

It's not a small mod. In fact, it makes the SD really large, but it makes for steadier tool use. As this is the first iteration of the design, I'm still working out details. I need a better way to store the thread and needle, but I love how the buttons are stored. It makes me smile. Each of the holes is a pass-through and you can poke the tweezers through to pop out the button.

Ryan

Wow, I threw a Classic in my sewing machine's toolbox since the thread cutter was a bit blunt after about 60 years but you took it to a whole different level, good job!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #4954 on: July 16, 2017, 01:19:19 AM
This isn't much of a mod, but I wanted to try adding a small sewing kit to a 58mm SAK......
Interesting idea Ryan - But I don't quite get it  :think:

More pics please - Maybe some close ups
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:20:50 AM by Huntsman »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4955 on: July 16, 2017, 04:21:48 AM
Interesting mod guys... :like:

Offline Ryan Adney

• New User
Reply #4956 on: July 16, 2017, 04:23:15 PM
This isn't much of a mod, but I wanted to try adding a small sewing kit to a 58mm SAK......
Interesting idea Ryan - But I don't quite get it  :think:

More pics please - Maybe some close ups

I guess those pictures were a little vague. I've attached a few more along with a see-through from TinkerCad.

The T&T scale has both tools much like the T&T insert that have been used on Alox mods. The difference here is that the insert is now a scale. That left room on the other scale for my sewing kit.

The sewing kit scale itself serves as a spool and the needle is nestled in among the turns of thread. Under the thread is storage for three buttons. The buttons can be poked out with the tweezers. The whole lot is held in place by a flat hair tie. Everything else is bog standard Classic SD.

The final attachment is a see-through version. That might make it clearer. This is a pun.

It's not the most useful mod for a vast majority of SAK lovers, but the idea struck me and it was fun to make. I was a little inspired by the Wegner Bernina knives, but I can't find the small one and the large one is too expensive. I had another idea: If you had an office that was iffy on SAKs you could make the case that it's just a sewing kit.
IMG_9844.JPG
* IMG_9844.JPG (Filesize: 59.59 KB)
IMG_9846.JPG
* IMG_9846.JPG (Filesize: 73.97 KB)
IMG_9850.JPG
* IMG_9850.JPG (Filesize: 88.89 KB)
design.jpg
* design.jpg (Filesize: 278.94 KB)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #4957 on: July 19, 2017, 01:47:10 AM
Got it now - Thanks - Nice :tu:

The key to understanding it was the whole scale being a spool  !!
..... And a 'secret' drawer again !!  ;) 

I love these real whacky 'thinking-out-of-the-box' mods

mx Offline WDY

• kickin in the Baja
Reply #4958 on: July 19, 2017, 03:16:14 AM
Couple of SCALE mods.   Three horny dudes and a teak wood Tinker.  The Tinker has a carved/textured feel that I really like.  Still working on peened rivets. They look so cool but hard to do.
3-horn-saks-horiz.jpg
* 3-horn-saks-horiz.jpg (Filesize: 61.3 KB)
Teak_Tinker2.jpg
* Teak_Tinker2.jpg (Filesize: 67.77 KB)
Teak_Tinker3_CloseUp.jpg
* Teak_Tinker3_CloseUp.jpg (Filesize: 72.42 KB)
-Yager

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #4959 on: July 31, 2017, 02:18:28 AM
I finally got my hands on a Pioneer Harvester, and decided to mod my SAK (I used to call it Electrician X) yet again, to add the wood saw the hawkbill/pruner blade and the can opener (this one was necessary to complete the set).

Previously I started with a Pioneer X and an Electrician. Swapped the can opener of the X with the sheepsfoot blade, and ended up with the Pioneer Electrician X, and a Pioneer.
Then I added a pocket clip to it.

Now I had to disassemble all 3, to get all the parts I needed for the final SAK (don't have a name for it yet).

I ended up with the 5 layer SAK I wanted, a single layer SAK, and a few leftover parts.

5 Layer SAK:
  • Layer 1
    Main blade / awl
  • Layer 2
    Wood saw
  • Layer 3
    Scissors
  • Layer 4
    Sheepfoots blade / Hawkbill blade
  • Layer 5
    Can opener / Bottle opener
For the fourth layer, I had to use the spring from a main blade layer and also the awl spacer (since the spring is thicker), to make it work, otherwise I could have built 2 single layer SAK's.

Single Layer SAK (still have to peen it - you can see it in the leftovers picture):
  • Layer 1
    Main blade / awl

Leftovers:
  • 2 openers layer springs
  • 1 spacer
  • 1 set of scales
  • 1 Main blade
  • 1 Awl
  • 2 Bottle openers

IMG_20170730_213109956.jpg
* IMG_20170730_213109956.jpg (Filesize: 93.07 KB)
IMG_20170730_213157197.jpg
* IMG_20170730_213157197.jpg (Filesize: 51.37 KB)
IMG_20170730_213517321 (2).jpg
* IMG_20170730_213517321 (2).jpg (Filesize: 127.26 KB)
IMG_20170730_213556947 (2).jpg
* IMG_20170730_213556947 (2).jpg (Filesize: 231.12 KB)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4960 on: July 31, 2017, 04:12:30 AM
Nice mod and peen job... :salute: :like:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #4961 on: July 31, 2017, 06:37:22 AM
+1

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4962 on: July 31, 2017, 08:14:38 AM
Nice, I bet that ways a pretty weight being a five layer, I'd also think it would be a little too big as a pocket clip knife no? But nice job also on the peen..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #4963 on: July 31, 2017, 09:30:31 PM
Nice, I bet that ways a pretty weight being a five layer, I'd also think it would be a little too big as a pocket clip knife no? But nice job also on the peen..
JR

It weighs in at 134g / 4.7oz. It's 10g heavier than my Deluxe Tinker (125g / 4.4oz) a 4 layer SAK (although one of them is the pliers layer), but it's still marginally thinner, with 20.51mm / 0.808in vs 22.32mm / 0.879in.
For me it's not that heavy, and it's still manageable as a pocket clip knife (not ideal though :D)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4964 on: July 31, 2017, 10:10:44 PM
JR

It weighs in at 134g / 4.7oz. It's 10g heavier than my Deluxe Tinker (125g / 4.4oz) a 4 layer SAK (although one of them is the pliers layer), but it's still marginally thinner, with 20.51mm / 0.808in vs 22.32mm / 0.879in.
For me it's not that heavy, and it's still manageable as a pocket clip knife (not ideal though :D)
I don't remember what mine weighed in at, but it's got to be up there with yours, it's a 4/5 layer, at the time I think it was the largest Syph did..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

mx Offline WDY

• kickin in the Baja
Reply #4965 on: August 13, 2017, 04:27:31 AM
This is a MECHANIC with cow horn scales, 4 exposed, domed rivets. Was going to do a 3 rivet number with one hidden inside but forgot about it when drilling the scales.  Oh well, still worked out good. Thanks be to God
SAK6-1.jpg
* SAK6-1.jpg (Filesize: 92.11 KB)
SAK-6-2.jpg
* SAK-6-2.jpg (Filesize: 90.04 KB)
Sak-6-3.jpg
* Sak-6-3.jpg (Filesize: 76.76 KB)
-Yager

mx Offline WDY

• kickin in the Baja
Reply #4966 on: August 13, 2017, 04:37:17 AM
This is a SPARTAN with western black walnut scales (Juglans hindsii)  This is also called CLARO walnut with some very wild and lovely grain. I have some "stabilized" material of this same stuff which is pretty interesting.  Like, it's basically plastic but looks and works like the real deal, 'cause it IS the real deal! Being a wood nut for many years the jury's out on the plasticized material, but it sure is hard. The scales on this one are fixed with adhesive.

Still wrestling with the camera aspect of all this so the color doesn't come across too well.
Sak-7-1.jpg
* Sak-7-1.jpg (Filesize: 75.71 KB)
Sak-7-2.jpg
* Sak-7-2.jpg (Filesize: 68.9 KB)
Sak-7-3.jpg
* Sak-7-3.jpg (Filesize: 71.08 KB)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:57:22 AM by WDY »
-Yager

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4967 on: August 13, 2017, 07:21:01 AM
Those are so nice.  :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4968 on: August 13, 2017, 01:28:54 PM
This is a SPARTAN with western black walnut scales (Juglans hindsii)  This is also called CLARO walnut with some very wild and lovely grain. I have some "stabilized" material of this same stuff which is pretty interesting.  Like, it's basically plastic but looks and works like the real deal, 'cause it IS the real deal! Being a wood nut for many years the jury's out on the plasticized material, but it sure is hard. The scales on this one are fixed with adhesive.

Still wrestling with the camera aspect of all this so the color doesn't come across too well.

Nice knives there! I too was wondering a bit about how the stabilised wood would be to work with and was positively surprised to find that it even took an oil finish more or less exactly how normal wood would.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4969 on: August 13, 2017, 09:36:16 PM
Gifted from Mags.  :climber:
pik.jpg
* pik.jpg (Filesize: 198.54 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4970 on: August 14, 2017, 12:03:55 AM
I can't believe that you have Pikachu... :o
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4971 on: August 14, 2017, 12:53:54 AM
I can't believe that you have Pikachu... :o

Me neither, it's pretty bad smurf

:tu:

Hopefully Mags is enjoying my former non-mods :-)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #4972 on: August 14, 2017, 05:33:53 AM
This is a MECHANIC with cow horn scales, 4 exposed, domed rivets. Was going to do a 3 rivet number with one hidden inside but forgot about it when drilling the scales.  Oh well, still worked out good. Thanks be to God

Wow that is beautiful :tu:

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #4973 on: August 22, 2017, 01:48:53 AM
The mod below started out as a MiniChamp which I carried for several months.
I also had a Classic Alox in orange that had seen it's fair share of use, and decided that I'd like to have an Alox MiniChamp. I disassembled both and, in the end, I didn't actually need all the tools from the MiniChamp, and ended up with an Alox Vagabond and another SAK with the leftovers (it need some tools from a very old Rambler that was already decommissioned - see picture 1).

Now, I decided it was time to make a change, and while I was at it, I wanted to change the Alox scales with the silver ones from another Classic Alox that I had bought specifically for this mod several months ago (see picture 2).
One thing that I wanted was a USB drive right on my SAK, so, I purchased an USB Signature  ??? (model 4.6125.TG64) to integrate with the Alox Vagabond.

So, There you have it, a variation of the Alox Vagabond with a 64GB USB drive (the layout of the tools is purposely not the usual one, since I had to make sure that all tools could be used with the split ring for the lanyard). (see picture 3)
With the leftovers I assembled an Alox Rambler to offer to a friend.
IMG_20160903_143605.jpg
* IMG_20160903_143605.jpg (Filesize: 173.42 KB)
IMG_20160911_160839.jpg
* IMG_20160911_160839.jpg (Filesize: 196.87 KB)
IMG_20170820_224945044.jpg
* IMG_20170820_224945044.jpg (Filesize: 218.38 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4974 on: August 22, 2017, 07:24:17 PM
I also had a Classic Alox in orange that had seen it's fair share of use, and decided that I'd like to have an Alox MiniChamp. I disassembled both and, in the end, I didn't actually need all the tools from the MiniChamp, and ended up with an Alox Vagabond and another SAK with the leftovers (it need some tools from a very old Rambler that was already decommissioned - see picture 1).

Now, I decided it was time to make a change, and while I was at it, I wanted to change the Alox scales with the silver ones from another Classic Alox that I had bought specifically for this mod several months ago (see picture 2).
One thing that I wanted was a USB drive right on my SAK, so, I purchased an USB Signature  ??? (model 4.6125.TG64) to integrate with the Alox Vagabond.

So, There you have it, a variation of the Alox Vagabond with a 64GB USB drive (the layout of the tools is purposely not the usual one, since I had to make sure that all tools could be used with the split ring for the lanyard). (see picture 3)

Very cool!
 :tu: :tu:

Isn't the SAK too heavy to be used as an USB drive? Doesn't it force the USB drive? You can use it directly in an USB port or do you need a cable?
 :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4975 on: August 22, 2017, 07:57:33 PM
Nice mod... looking at the pic, usb drive is the removable version... cmiiw :cheers:

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #4976 on: August 23, 2017, 12:42:42 AM

Very cool!

Isn't the SAK too heavy to be used as an USB drive? Doesn't it force the USB drive? You can use it directly in an USB port or do you need a cable?

Thanks!! The answer is below. The USB is actually detachable from the SAK.

Nice mod... looking at the pic, usb drive is the removable version... cmiiw :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4977 on: August 23, 2017, 01:03:58 PM

Very cool!

Thanks!! The answer is below. The USB is actually detachable from the SAK.

I have a similar one, but it's the older version, thicker USB. It's detachable, too. I though this wasn't, being so slim.
 :salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #4978 on: August 25, 2017, 12:25:50 AM
I finally got my hands on a Pioneer Harvester, and decided to mod my SAK (I used to call it Electrician X) yet again, to add the wood saw the hawkbill/pruner blade and the can opener (this one was necessary to complete the set).

Previously I started with a Pioneer X and an Electrician. Swapped the can opener of the X with the sheepsfoot blade, and ended up with the Pioneer Electrician X, and a Pioneer.

Now I had to disassemble all 3, to get all the parts I needed for the final SAK (don't have a name for it yet).

I ended up with the 5 layer SAK I wanted, a single layer SAK, and a few leftover parts.

5 Layer SAK:
  • Layer 1
    Main blade / awl
  • Layer 2
    Wood saw
  • Layer 3
    Scissors
  • Layer 4
    Sheepsfoot blade / Hawkbill blade
  • Layer 5
For the fourth layer, I had to use the spring from a main blade layer and also the awl spacer (since the spring is thicker), to make it work, otherwise I could have built 2 single layer SAK's.

Single Layer SAK (still have to peen it - you can see it in the leftovers picture):
  • Layer 1
    Main blade / awl

Leftovers:
  • 1 spacer
  • 1 set of scales
  • 1 Main blade
  • 1 Awl
  • 2 Bottle openers

Well, I wasn't completely happy with the fact that there were to many parts leftover (which could potentially be used to build another SAK) from assembling this SAK, and decided to take it apart again, and try to fit the layer 4 (Sheepsfoot blade / Hawkbill blade) with the openers backspring.
It was going well, and seemed it would work until the SAK was peened together... the backspring didn't provide enough tension for one of the blades.
This left me with a tough choice to make. Would I rebuild it back the way it was, or take, yet, another approach?
You know it! It required a bit of bending of the Hawkbill blade, and loosing the awl, but it turned out awlright!!  :D

I now have a 4 layer Alox SAK, which is now thinner and lighter (111g / 3.9oz), and was able to put together a Solo variation with awl, and a Pioneer.

Current Layout:
  • Layer 1
    Main blade / Hawkbill blade
  • Layer 2
    Wood saw
  • Layer 3
    Scissors
  • Layer 4
    Sheepsfoot blade / Bottle opener
IMG_20170824_211427293.jpg
* IMG_20170824_211427293.jpg (Filesize: 167.04 KB)
IMG_20170824_211454118.jpg
* IMG_20170824_211454118.jpg (Filesize: 229.95 KB)
IMG_20170824_211552006.jpg
* IMG_20170824_211552006.jpg (Filesize: 153.79 KB)

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #4979 on: August 25, 2017, 02:53:39 AM

5 Layer SAK:
  • Layer 1
    Main blade / awl
  • Layer 2
    Wood saw
  • Layer 3
    Scissors
  • Layer 4
    Sheepsfoot blade / Hawkbill blade
  • Layer 5

• Layer 1
    Main blade / awl

Leftovers:
  • 1 spacer
  • 1 set of scales
  • 1 Main blade
  • 1 Awl
  • 2 Bottle openers

Well, I wasn't completely happy with the fact that there were to many parts leftover (which could potentially be used to build another SAK) from assembling this SAK, and decided to take it apart again, and try to fit the layer 4 (Sheepsfoot blade / Hawkbill blade) with the openers backspring.
It was going well, and seemed it would work until the SAK was peened together... the backspring didn't provide enough tension for one of the blades.
This left me with a tough choice to make. Would I rebuild it back the way it was, or take, yet, another approach?
You know it! It required a bit of bending of the Hawkbill blade, and loosing the awl, but it turned out awlright!!  :D

I now have a 4 layer Alox SAK, which is now thinner and lighter (111g / 3.9oz), and was able to put together a Solo variation with awl, and a Pioneer.

Current Layout:
  • Layer 1
    Main blade / Hawkbill blade
  • Layer 2
    Wood saw
  • Layer 3
    Scissors
  • Layer 4
    Sheepsfoot blade / Bottle opener

:like:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%