Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thrunite Ti5....AAA clicky

us Offline tommywp

Thrunite Ti5....AAA clicky
on: September 21, 2015, 07:18:16 PM
Just came across this.
http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-ti5-cool-white-new-arrival/

Love the clicky on my Preon 2 but sometimes it's a bit long in the pocket. At 90mm, this thing looks to be ~1.5 inches shorter than the Preon but still more than half an inch longer than the Fenix LD02 (which seems too short for a clicky). Has me very interested.

Doesn't seem to be available for purchase yet, but saw in another forum that someone had one. Can anyone here give a review?  :salute:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 21.29 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Thrunite Ti5....AAA clicky
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:32:13 PM
I got the Ti4 penlight recently which is 2 AAA.  I wonder if its an attempt at a smaller sibling  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:02:14 PM
Looks good to me.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for the price once it hits the UK. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:11:30 PM
You and me both Gareth
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:13:23 PM
Add me to the watch list too. Love me some AAA clicky lights.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 12:47:25 AM
You and me both Gareth

Me three,especially after my iO3s died on me :rant:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 01:24:55 AM
When does it drop?

Never had a Thrunite, good company?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 06:26:30 AM
When does it drop?

Never had a Thrunite, good company?

I've not had any issues with either of my T10 and my new Ti4 pen light so far is outstanding.  I did have issues with 2 Tis lights.  I think the foam thing that sits on top the battery was the issue.  Maybe I was crushing the batttery  :think:.  I beat the life back into the light tho by banging it on the table till it went on.  It now work flawlessly tho scared  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 09:10:16 AM
Yeah, there did seem to be a lot of issues with the TiS, Ti, Ti2 etc. but I have to say that mine has been just fine.  All my other Thrunites have been perfect as well.  Very good bang for your buck IMO. :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 09:11:42 AM
I'd also not noticed that the Ti5 has a forward clicky switch.  That's going to make a lot of people very happy I think.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 09:48:14 AM

When I wanted a 2xAAA pocket clip inspection lamp format flashlight I chose the Nitecore MT06 over the Thrunite Ti4.  For the decision I marked down the Ti4 for it's IMHO unnecessary for the role Firefly and Strobe functions. I really like the slim format end clicky in the hand, the MT06 is a real minimalist favourite.

But I foresee a problem with the Ti5.  Compared with a keyring attached knurled finish flashlight the smooth short format Ti5 is a at risk of being dropped into whatever is being inspected.  For that reason (and the Firefly and Strobe modes) a Thrunite I won't be following up.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 09:48:44 AM
I do have a (I think first Generation) Thrunite Ti with 2 modes and am perfectly happy with it as a EDC light.
But I think i´m in the market for a replacement, because my son has gotten his grubby mitts on it and I can´t find it in the places where he usually places the things he takes from my nightstand.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 03:26:54 PM
I do have a (I think first Generation) Thrunite Ti with 2 modes and am perfectly happy with it as a EDC light.
But I think i´m in the market for a replacement, because my son has gotten his grubby mitts on it and I can´t find it in the places where he usually places the things he takes from my nightstand.

Kids are funny. Hopefully he doesn't get his hands on one of your G's.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 04:07:12 PM
He was the actual reason that made me carry out the mod on my EDC GWM 5600 - the strap, while old and worn out, was ok until he tore at it with teeth and claws and made "my" hole in the strap tear.  ;)

His teeth are pretty hard on the resin bezels, but he is not chewing everythinbg he touches anymore. Instead he now wants to hold my "ti to" (tic toc) and press buttons or holds analog watches to his ear to listen to the sound of the second hand.

The Thrunite is still MIA...

us Offline tommywp

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 09:14:45 PM
 I was talking myself out of the TI5 as I really don't need another light, but the TI5T may be irresistible. Found this pic in the New Products section of the ThruNite forum.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 40.25 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 10:00:16 AM
I was talking myself out of the TI5 as I really don't need another light, but the TI5T may be irresistible. Found this pic in the New Products section of the ThruNite forum.
Gotta get me one of these :drool: it would get two drools if it had memory function :pok:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 03:39:24 PM
Sent ThruNite an email and they said U.S. release is early October.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 03:41:36 PM
Gotta get me one of these :drool: it would get two drools if it had memory function :pok:

Newbie question...what's so great about memory function?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 04:37:10 PM

I don't remember right now... I'll let you know if it comes to mind.

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 04:41:44 PM

When I'm night-hiking I want little light (firefly mode) and I don't want it to come on at full blast, so it does not ruin my night adaptation more than necessary.
When I'm at work and I need to find something I dropped I want full blast (I'm in an illuminated room anyway, I need the flashlight for the places the regular light won't reach) and I'm too lazy to cycle through the modes.

It's a convenience, always starting in firefly mode is good to, if it always comes on high its bad IMHO.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 05:07:08 PM

I don't remember right now... I'll let you know if it comes to mind.

:whistle:

:doh:

Mode memory basically means that it'll always come on in your most used level.  So while I do like a firefly mode it isn't my most used level and I dislike having to switch past it every time I turn on a torch.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 05:16:49 PM
 Got it...so it sets the default mode to your personal favorite. But if you like the sequence of a light, then mode memory is of less value. Good to know. Thanks.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 05:23:50 PM
Got it...so it sets the default mode to your personal favorite. But if you like the sequence of a light, then mode memory is of less value. Good to know. Thanks.

That's the idea.  So with a mode memory light if you use the medium mode and turn if off then no matter how long you wait until you use it next it will remember that it should be coming back on in medium.  If you like firefly and always want it to come on in that level you just have to make sure you turn it off in firefly.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 05:50:12 PM
Except with the Thrunite TN4A (for example) Firefly is excluded from the memory selection, though that flashlight has an excellent UI which brings up Firefly with a long press from off.  Given that Ti5 is a clicky I think Thrunite have missed a trick with the Ti5 UI.

And just to cause confusion my Thrunite 2A V2 does include Firefly in the memory sequence.  FWIW I think Thrunite Firefly is too low for typical room navigation or key insertion applications so I try to switch off my 2A V2 from low.

us Offline tommywp

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD