Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Coupling Key Fob, Stainless Steel

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Victorinox Coupling Key Fob, Stainless Steel
on: June 17, 2008, 01:45:55 AM
Anyone have one of these: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3013 ?

How does the release work and can it be released with one hand?  If so, maybe one ring could fitted to a nylon or leather loop to slip over a belt, and the other ring could be attached to a SAK to make a belt suspension carrier.

N

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Victorinox Coupling Key Fob, Stainless Steel
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 01:57:23 AM
I had one of those; you can get "generic" ones at gas station displays or locksmith/key shops.  Yea you can release one end with one hand, but it takes two hands to re-attach it.

The ones I've had are pretty strong, so I don't know what Victorinox did any diffrently...better finish maybe?

EDIT: If you haven't handled one you kinds hold the part with the lip like a syringe and press the top with your thumb, and it loosens two ball bearings inside releasing the bottom half.
[

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:36:48 AM
I had one of those; you can get "generic" ones at gas station displays or locksmith/key shops.  Yea you can release one end with one hand, but it takes two hands to re-attach it.

The ones I've had are pretty strong, so I don't know what Victorinox did any diffrently...better finish maybe?

EDIT: If you haven't handled one you kinds hold the part with the lip like a syringe and press the top with your thumb, and it loosens two ball bearings inside releasing the bottom half.

Thanks, Corrugated.  Figured it would work something like that.  Most likely it'll be of fairly decent quality, given the Victorinox label.

For $4 it looks to be worth a try.  If it doesn't work out for a belt suspension system, then I can just use it on a keychain as intended.

N

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 07:42:00 AM
I've go two Vic one's (one for work, one for everything else) and they can be used one handed, but like Corrugated said, you do need two hands to re-attach them. The quality is great on the Vic one's, the other one's I've seen are pretty marginal :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:45:33 PM
I have a "generic" one and it's fine. You can reattach it one handed, but it'll take some practice. Honestly, I'd much rather get one of those multi ring pull-aparts, hence the sig. It's not small enought to be unnoticeable and not handy enough to take care of all your keychain stuff.
W

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 03:55:40 PM
I have a generic version, and re-attaching it one-handed is no big deal - slip your middle finger through the ring, hold the barrel between index and ring fingers, alingn, push the plunger with the middle finger.
-------
Alexei

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 04:22:07 PM
I have a "generic" one and it's fine. You can reattach it one handed, but it'll take some practice. Honestly, I'd much rather get one of those multi ring pull-aparts, hence the sig. It's not small enought to be unnoticeable and not handy enough to take care of all your keychain stuff.

That Wenger Keychain looks like the Mother of All Keychains.

Seriously, it looks great for people who want the capability to carry EVERYTHING on one ginormous keychain.

And the opposite end clips to a belt loop or similar for positive rentention - very clever design.

Has Wenger stopped making these?

N

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 02:49:38 AM
Here is something similar to that Wenger...Bison Designs Circle Caddie - you could add a length of chain to it.

http://www.bisondesigns.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

* circlecaddie.jpg (Filesize: 19.3 KB)

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 03:19:30 PM
Heh, that's my plan B. Thanks for sharing!
W

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD