Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

More planes

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
More planes
on: May 28, 2014, 11:36:51 PM
Picked up another plane this past weekend at yard sale, logo says salmen's, never heard of it, but it's identical to the new Stanley #4 I bought a while ago, except less plastic and 8x cheaper.  :-[

The handles are wood, but the varnish is cracked and half fallen off, so I sanded and revarnished it. Ran it through wire wheel to remove loose rust, not sure if I should complete derust it.

The blade is made in England, same as the new stanley, I guess there's something about the English and their plane iron.  :P The body says made in England too, whereas the stanley is unlabeled. The machined sole/sides are a lot smoother, not sure if they were made that way or tuned by user.

I sharpened the blade on belt sander (I can see the hand plane purists coming at me with pitchforks now), and it works pretty well. The surface it made is smoother than any random orbital sander can do.

And here's a family shot of what I have now, subject to grow pending yard sale this weekend.  :D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:44:19 PM by jzmtl »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: More planes
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:11:21 AM
Looks good  :tu:

I'm sure I have that Stanley,
I think it is a 'Stanley Handyman' made for the DIY market after the 50's  :think: :think:
I might also have a Salmen's somewhere  :think:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:59:35 AM
Beautiful planes mate :)

I remember using a spoke shaver identical to that one at school :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:34:58 PM

I found this link on another site and thought it might be useful for Stanley plane users

Stanley plane PDF  :tu:

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/stan-bpl/edsheets.pdf   

Everything’s adjustable

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 01:51:29 PM
Nice. I have a Stanley no4 a record 4 1/2 and a spoke shave awaiting restoration

Got this too but it may be beyond help

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:13:11 AM
The older stanley looks to be much better machined. Sole is smooth, how's flatness though?

I was very dismayed to find out the new #4 has a very cupped sole. Attempted to flatten it by hand, but after a minute or so I realized it'll take me days to do it. So I said smurf it and threw it on the belt sander, it's mostly flat now and I'm not going to bother with it anymore.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 09:25:44 AM
It's pretty flat. It's just been neglected.

I need to pick up wet and dry paper and some old granite work top this weekend.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 09:14:28 AM
OK
The older stanley looks to be much better machined. Sole is smooth, how's flatness though?

I was very dismayed to find out the new #4 has a very cupped sole. Attempted to flatten it by hand, but after a minute or so I realized it'll take me days to do it. So I said smurf it and threw it on the belt sander, it's mostly flat now and I'm not going to bother with it anymore.

Interesting to hear you say that. Unless the sole is dented I'd be more inclined to assume the cupped sole is a result from the previous owners daily use. I know that most hand tools take on certain deformations as we all tend to grip, twist tools slightly differently. The cupped blade is more likely caused by shooting doors at an angle. In the past I've noticed mine to be slightly cupped and know that its never been dropped so assume its me bearing down on both the front and rear with the blade slicing at an angle when sizing doors up.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 09:33:55 AM
That one I actually bought brand new so the factory grind was off. It look straight but put a ruler on it shows the mouth area is recessed compare to front/back. Not sure how that happened since I assume the factory used belt sander.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%