Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rescue Knife as a Self Defense Weapon

dipti · 75 · 12183

us Offline dipti

Rescue Knife as a Self Defense Weapon
on: June 28, 2014, 01:19:09 PM
I know Rescue knife is an all rounder when comes to emergency and outdoor situations. But here I want to particularly target the self defense area as of which knives can be categorized or specially suited for self defense purposes.

Not everyone can learn or do martial arts/tiquando so may be knowing and carrying a perfect knife with you will be more helpful.  :)

My never ending love for tomahawks

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Rescue Knife as a Self Defense Weapon
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 08:22:44 PM
I think using a knife for self defence requires a lot of skill, just as martial arts.

Besides that, often rescue knives are characterized by a blunt(ish) tip, especially for -not- penetrating skin... I can't imagine that's a good feature for a self defense knife...
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:36:57 PM
The biggest mistake is people carrying weapon and NOT having the training to use it.

Nearly all training will teach you to be aware of your surroundings and to understand and honor any threats. The quickest way to end a confrontation is not to get into it in the first place.

There was a study done in the late 80's in the UK that proved that most people carrying knives for defense ended up with it being used on themselves.

I would take situational awareness over a knife or gun every time.

Cheers  :cheers:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 08:33:09 AM
The biggest mistake is people carrying weapon and NOT having the training to use it.

Nearly all training will teach you to be aware of your surroundings and to understand and honor any threats. The quickest way to end a confrontation is not to get into it in the first place.

There was a study done in the late 80's in the UK that proved that most people carrying knives for defense ended up with it being used on themselves.

Well said Smashie - I agree with you 100% - I wouldn't even think of a knife as a weapon, defensive or not.  Asides of which "fighting knives" often have both sides of the blade sharpened (think Commando knife for example) and that is for a good reason.

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:14:37 PM
I would agree with the above. And to be honest. Being a regular carrier of rescue knives I like the idea of such tools not being in anyway associated with combat, not least of which as this gives law enforcement the wrong idea.
If you must carry a knife for self defence. Carry a combat folder or similar. Learn how to use it with a martial art that encompasses weapons training. Would you really be willing to use it? Otherwise it's just a false sense of security.
I have seen the after effects of knife fights many times. It scared the hell out of the guys with minor injuries and nearly killed some others.
Lastly, I am not a gun owner, but a great man once said.... "Never bring a knife to a gunfight".
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 07:03:40 PM
I agree. If you don't know how to use it, better don't, even if you know is highly recommended to be your LAST resort. Also what kind of self defense are you talking about? Another knife carrier, a man with a gun, a wild animal... and the rescue knife it's designed for rescue, not for combat. I repeat like a LAST RESORT is ok i guess, but don't intend to use it for this purpose.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 08:05:33 PM
"Almost" any sharp pointy knives can be use as Self Defense, more or less. Depended on how you use it.
What do you consider as a Rescue Knife? Has a built in safety cutter for seat belt?
If answer is yes then there are few options.

EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Tomahawk Rob

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 06:29:00 PM
Using any tool for self defense should be a last resort. Knife fights are usually over in less than 10 seconds. You may be the lucky one that walks away but you have to live with the results the rest of your life. The best defense is to retreat as fast as possible.
Prepare for the worst and only the best will happen.

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 08:08:59 PM
Using any tool for self defense should be a last resort. Knife fights are usually over in less than 10 seconds. You may be the lucky one that walks away but you have to live with the results the rest of your life. The best defense is to retreat as fast as possible.

Wise words - 100% agree  :salute:

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 05:24:56 PM
knives are not defense weapons.

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:38:35 PM

Agree 100%  :tu:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 07:55:12 PM

Agree 100%  :tu:

I have to disagree on this one. While not a ideal defensive weapon it is a viable option. When it comes to defending against another human attacking you it is less ideal (in my opinion) as you could have it taken from you and used on yourself, but in a few situations a knife could save your smurf against a human attack. I would say a knife is a very viable option in defending yourself against say a dog if you got into a very sticky situation. I'm not saying engaging with the knife, but if you get a animal latched onto you or someone else and its not letting go a knife attack might be your only option.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:56:55 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 08:26:03 PM
Knife > nothing.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 09:51:58 AM
I think we have a good few threads talking about 'knife as self defense weapon', and so I won't repeat myself to bore anyone here.  :D

In short, this line above sum up half of what I said in every other knife defense thread.  :cheers:

The other half is best 'knife fight' or 'knife defense' or 'knife as last resort' situation is the one without me being involved.  Even though it may sound like I am stating the obvious, it underlines what I think is important in personal safety.  Let's be real, I am not constantly train to be an active combatant, and there is always consequences involved regardless who get hurt in the end.  Yes, it maybe better to be judged than carried, but to me, it is even better not to be judged or carried.

Knife > nothing.
So in context of what I just said, "Nothing ever happened > Knife".  ;)

Back to topic.  For last resort, I think it is common consensus that 'anything goes'.  As a weapon, there is a reason why combat knife are shaped/grind/designed a certain way, and depending which knife, it is probably less than ideal.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 10:20:07 AM
I just don't understand the mindset of some. You think just because you have situational awareness you can avoid every situation that might lead you to be a victim. That is just pure denial in my opinion. Sure you can avoid some situations, but anything can happen and some of those things are unavoidable. Wouldn't you rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. :shrug:

I am not at all saying that a knife is a good or ideal weapon for self defense, but if it was literally your last resort I would hate to die thinking I could of done more. I think having a knife for defense against the 4 legged creatures is a much more logical and plausible thought to have.

I'm sure that some will disagree with me which is perfectly fine.
I'm the milk man!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 10:56:26 AM
I could see something like the Vic Rescue Tool being used as such. Nice big, scary looking, locking OHO blade – especially the Black version – StayGlow looks too friendly. You don’t need a pointy blade as you don’t want to do damage – a few minor cuts to the hands would make an attacker back away.
I have about 4 years’ experience in fiddling with sharp, pointy things (6 months fencing,  3 years kendo) but I’d shudder at using a knife in a fight.

Still… a nice blade is good as a deterrent. I’ve been mugged a few times in my youth, and I hope it won’t ever happen again, but if it does, I can picture hoodlums saying “Whoa that big guy has a big scary knife, let’s back off and find easier prey… “

Also I run into bears constantly in the woods (they never bothered me though) and I doubt a knife would make much use – the bear would eat me than pick his teeth with my knife – but it makes me feel safer carrying it.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 12:13:04 PM
I just don't understand the mindset of some. You think just because you have situational awareness you can avoid every situation that might lead you to be a victim. That is just pure denial in my opinion. Sure you can avoid some situations, but anything can happen and some of those things are unavoidable. Wouldn't you rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it

I see your point here Cap'n, but I would argue (in the nicest way, of course) that the majority of average folks, and that includes me, are best served by the mentality of avoiding trouble wherever possible.  I see a rescue knife as a tool to help in event of accidents, first aid etc (usually on others as often a victim is in need of external help). Obviously, as you rightly say, it is impossible to avoid every situation, and yes, I guess in those circumstances there is place for rescue knives.

I have trouble visualising a situation where I might use  a knife for defence, certainly in any form of civil disorder (such as a fight or assault) I honestly think I would come off worse, by a large margin.  I did, however, look into dog attacks, and can see your point although I'm not too sure I'd want to make a dog even more angry with me by sticking a sharp into it   :)

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 04:54:16 PM
Specifically a knife is something that requires skill to be used properly at self defense. One reason is that a cut or a stab wont stop the other person inmediatly unless you really know what you are doing, it will just make it more angry and you would most likely lose your knife in the first attack.

Second if you do effectively wound the other person to make it stop, there is a high chance of inflicting fatal wounds with a knife and even though you are defending yourself is not easy to have a potential dead in your conscience.

Third do you know how you will react if you land a cut and see blood splashing everywhere like a face cut for example? if you dont have experience with that kinds of situations you will most likely lose awareness and risk giving the attacker room to reach you. For all those reasons i think that anything with an edge is not a good idea for the inexperienced with those kind of weapons.

Now blunt weapons like a closed multitool, a baton, etc. is a far better choice for the person who doesnt have weapons training.

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 05:52:13 PM
My opinion is that knives ARE a self defense weapons. I can't agree with people saying it requires training, comparing it to martial arts. Do you need years of martial arts training to throw a punch? But i agree that if you can't unfold a knife and use it to stab without getting disarmed or hurting yourself then yes, you should not carry a knife, but you probably should have someone slicing your steaks for you, too. I think even rescue knives can be used as a weapon, beside the blunt tip, the usually have a glass breaker which could leave serious wounds.
Antonio

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 08:04:56 PM
I just don't understand the mindset of some. You think just because you have situational awareness you can avoid every situation that might lead you to be a victim. That is just pure denial in my opinion. Sure you can avoid some situations, but anything can happen and some of those things are unavoidable. Wouldn't you rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it

I see your point here Cap'n, but I would argue (in the nicest way, of course) that the majority of average folks, and that includes me, are best served by the mentality of avoiding trouble wherever possible.  I see a rescue knife as a tool to help in event of accidents, first aid etc (usually on others as often a victim is in need of external help). Obviously, as you rightly say, it is impossible to avoid every situation, and yes, I guess in those circumstances there is place for rescue knives.

I have trouble visualising a situation where I might use  a knife for defence, certainly in any form of civil disorder (such as a fight or assault) I honestly think I would come off worse, by a large margin.  I did, however, look into dog attacks, and can see your point although I'm not too sure I'd want to make a dog even more angry with me by sticking a sharp into it   :)

I know this thread is about a rescue knife, but in my post I was referring more to your standard "defensive" knife. A rescue knife is just about the last thing I would choose for a "defensive" option.

Pertaining to using it in a defensive manner. I would never suggest using it to kill anybody, but purely as a option to stop the attack long enough to retreat. If the attacker perishes from the attack then so be it. Say you get pinned against a wall and are very close to the attacker. If you can get off a slicing attack to the back of the arm, The area just above the knee cap, neck, or face you will hopefully have time to retreat.

As for the dog attacks. I feel this is much more of a worry and probability and you have no worry of the knife being used against yourself. If a dog is latched onto you and not letting go a knife attack (in my opinion) would be a very viable option. Either across the throat or a stabbing attack to the chest and/or lung area. If he doesn't let go he will most likely die in a minute or so.

I know it sounds cruel, but honestly if your life is on the line then nothing is off limits. Do what you have to do.

These are just my opinions on the matter. I respect everyone right to their own opinion as well.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 08:16:06 PM
Specifically a knife is something that requires skill to be used properly at self defense. One reason is that a cut or a stab wont stop the other person inmediatly unless you really know what you are doing, it will just make it more angry and you would most likely lose your knife in the first attack.

Second if you do effectively wound the other person to make it stop, there is a high chance of inflicting fatal wounds with a knife and even though you are defending yourself is not easy to have a potential dead in your conscience.

Third do you know how you will react if you land a cut and see blood splashing everywhere like a face cut for example? if you dont have experience with that kinds of situations you will most likely lose awareness and risk giving the attacker room to reach you. For all those reasons i think that anything with an edge is not a good idea for the inexperienced with those kind of weapons.

Now blunt weapons like a closed multitool, a baton, etc. is a far better choice for the person who doesnt have weapons training.

I do agree that their is a huge risk of having the knife taken from you and used against yourself.

I don't know about anyone else and cannot speak for anyone else, but if someone is willing to kill/injure me in a attack I have no mercy for them in whatever may come of their actions.

As for the reaction to blood or whatnot. Whose blood would you rather see yours or theirs?

As for using a closed multitool or baton as a "far better" option I have to strongly disagree. That's definitely something that will just piss someone off and has much more potential of being taken and used against you. I think a "far better" option for someone with no training is pepper spray or a proper tazer that shoots the prongs.

I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 08:17:24 PM
These are all my opinions and all of this is written with respect. I do not mean to offend anyone or anything like that. I said my piece and this debate could go on forever so i'm done with the subject.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 08:23:32 PM
captain spaulding :salute: :tu:

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 10:48:18 PM
A lot of interesting ideas - i wonder if anyone who argues for it as a self defense weapon has real experience or at least some real training.

A knive might be a good attack weapon, for example if you are behind enemy lines and need to take a guard-post out of the game as silent as possible (at least if you know what to do).  But i would prefer to have something like a Gerber MK 1 or 2, or something like a Faitnairn Sykes for such a use. For self defense in a civil standard situation (disable the attacker and run) ..... i would prefer other things than a knive.

I once had a discussion with a police officer regarding carrying knifes, and when he wants to know my opinion if my knife may be carried also as a self defense tool, i answered: "Never. Even if it might be able to help you out, the law enforcement will treat you as the criminal factor. You have a knife and know how to use it, so you for sure were responsible due to not running away. It wouldn´t matter if you could have run or not - as long as you are the one with the knife, you are guilty. But if i grab a brick, a hammer, some massive wood - whatever .... i can smash his head, every single teeth in his mouth, his knees, ...... and there is a good chance i still will be seen at court as the victim that needed to defend himself."

Judging by his look, that was not the answer he expected.  :D

Dogs are a different story, there it depends what kind of training they had. A watchdog is usually trained to be loud, so a knife is not as effective as on a human guard. Most dogs attack the first limb they can get, then you have a good chance he bites your arm if you offer it to him. And if you have a knive ready, and are still standing after his jump on you, you might be able to wound him while he chews on your forearm. There are races that wouldn´t be impressed if you stab their throat or chest - if he hangs on your left arm, try to slice his belly so that all his guts fall on the ground. But there is still a big instability factor, just loosing your balance a little bit may make him win.

OK, there are also some dogs that are trained to attack silently and without any warning, directly going to the throat - they are ..... well, thank god they are rare, and i hope to never get in contact with one.

Under the line - no, a knive is no good weapon for self defense, in fact it is a bad one. On the other hand it might be your only available one.

But acting in a way you were not considered as the possible victim by the bad boys, avoiding dangerous situations, is the way best defense.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 04:23:31 AM
I don't think it's a good idea to think of a knife--any knife--as a weapon.  I REALLY don't think it's a good idea to carry a knife for the express purpose of using it as a weapon, even a defensive one.  In fact, doing so is a good indicator that you don't need to be handling knives.

First of all, knives make horrible defensive weapons.  If drawing the knife doesn't convince your aggressor to abort his attack entirely, you WILL get cut.  Or shot.  About the only way to not get hurt in a knife fight is to be the aggressor against a helpless victim.

Second, I would make a strong effort to avoid feeling emboldened by carrying what you consider a weapon.  If you feel like you need a weapon to walk in certain places, just don't walk in those places.  "I have a weapon, therefore I can..." is how idiots start sentences.  If you do choose to carry a weapon, DO NOT let it change your behavior in any way.  Go about your business as normal.  Don't take greater risks because you're packing.

Third, a rescue knife is probably the worst weapon I can think of.  To me, a rescue tool is one designed to cut seat belts and break glass to help you escape from a car you can't otherwise get out of.  As someone else said, it's designed to be difficult to hurt someone with, and also, I WOULD LEAVE A TOOL LIKE THAT IN MY CAR.  The contents of your glove box are not helpful in a fight.

As for animals, there are very few I would feel safe from because I have a knife.  If I have to go somewhere with dangerous wildlife, I want a repeating rifle and the training to use it.  Oh I'll want a knife in that environment too, but for utility tasks, not as a weapon.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 08:25:23 AM

I know this thread is about a rescue knife, but in my post I was referring more to your standard "defensive" knife. A rescue knife is just about the last thing I would choose for a "defensive" option.

Pertaining to using it in a defensive manner. I would never suggest using it to kill anybody, but purely as a option to stop the attack long enough to retreat. If the attacker perishes from the attack then so be it. Say you get pinned against a wall and are very close to the attacker. If you can get off a slicing attack to the back of the arm, The area just above the knee cap, neck, or face you will hopefully have time to retreat.

As for the dog attacks. I feel this is much more of a worry and probability and you have no worry of the knife being used against yourself. If a dog is latched onto you and not letting go a knife attack (in my opinion) would be a very viable option. Either across the throat or a stabbing attack to the chest and/or lung area. If he doesn't let go he will most likely die in a minute or so.

I know it sounds cruel, but honestly if your life is on the line then nothing is off limits. Do what you have to do.

These are just my opinions on the matter. I respect everyone right to their own opinion as well.

Capt,

I totally agree with you on the 4 legged attacks, as cruel as it may sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuXAAuyCKO8

Even though I always stress a holistic personal safety approach(travel plan, alternative, attire, weapon, etc)should be the first line of defense, I don't think 'defensive weapon' and 'situational awareness' are mutually exclusive.  In fact, I would say they are closely related.

What I like to stress is, given a sensible individual has taken all the proper precaution, and God forbid, something happens and a person has to use it as a last resort to fight for his life, most certainly I wish he has the best gear on him for the job.  But it is entirely a different matter, if a person put a knife/weapon on him, and (partially) relax what supposed to be proper caution.

I have known friends who had served or worked in dangerous area of the world, and the stories I heard about using knife as a weapon(or defense against knife attack) are always grim.  I know it is not the same as conflict on a street, but it served as a reminder why I should always try my best to steer clear of it.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 02:56:45 AM
Anything can be a weapon. Some things make better weapons than others, say, a .38 is a better weapon than an empty sock. But if you've got the right motivation, yeah, an empty sock is a weapon. A sock attached to a Marine makes a better one, but you get the point. Or a midget. A midget-flail is an amazing weapon because it confuses and horrifies everyone. Especially the midget.  :D

If you're asking if something makes a good weapon before desperation forces your hand, either (a) your skill levels aren't high enough to say "yes" or (b) you're trying to get around a law or at least trying to be overly clever.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

00 Offline cool123

Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 12:33:57 PM
I myself believe that any tool can prove to be a self defence utility but you have to see that they are used in a right context. But knives is the best option for the self defence.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 06:15:00 AM
I myself believe that any tool can prove to be a self defence utility but you have to see that they are used in a right context. But knives is the best option for the self defence.

No stopping power
No reach
Requires significant training simply to draw under stress, much less use properly

and last, but *definitely* not least,

Considered a lethal force implement in most places in the world

Actually, knives make incredibly, incredibly poor self defense options.  If you're in an area or a profession that necessitates you carrying something for self defense, a gun, baton or a good weighty flashlight are substantially more effective.  With proper training, of course.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 12:12:43 PM
If you're in an area or a profession that necessitates you carrying something for self defense, a gun, baton or a good weighty flashlight are substantially more effective.  With proper training, of course.

I agree, partly.

But not the gun - in fact it is a really poor self defense tool. It just has a good lobby from the gun-loving parts of a society.

It´s good to have in a region where wild and potential dangerous animals live - if it has enough stopping power for them.

And it may also be mostly OK to try to defend your home from intruders - IF you heard them first, then had the time to pick your gun, and so on and so on, .....

But other than such a scenario ....... it needs a pretty dumb thug to start screaming "i kill you if you don´t ..." at a distance that gives you enough time to pull your comfy concealed weapon and bring it to action soon enough.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20