Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rescue Knife as a Self Defense Weapon

dipti · 75 · 12215

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Rescue Knife as a Self Defense Weapon
Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 12:58:56 PM
If you're in an area or a profession that necessitates you carrying something for self defense, a gun, baton or a good weighty flashlight are substantially more effective.  With proper training, of course.

I agree, partly.

But not the gun - in fact it is a really poor self defense tool. It just has a good lobby from the gun-loving parts of a society.

It´s good to have in a region where wild and potential dangerous animals live - if it has enough stopping power for them.

And it may also be mostly OK to try to defend your home from intruders - IF you heard them first, then had the time to pick your gun, and so on and so on, .....

But other than such a scenario ....... it needs a pretty dumb thug to start screaming "i kill you if you don´t ..." at a distance that gives you enough time to pull your comfy concealed weapon and bring it to action soon enough.
No, a gun is not good for self-defense in your home. The risks by far outweigh the potential benefits (Hemenway, American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine).

Perhaps surprisingly, the evidence does not indicate that having a gun reduces the risk of being a victim of a crime or that having a gun reduces the risk of injury during the commission of a crime.

also:
Method of Resistance (Likelihood of injury)
Running away (most successful, sadly no number provided)
Calling the police or a guard (0.9%)
Pulling a gun (2.5% only slightly better than)
Yelling (2.7%)

These are all numbers from the USA
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 01:10:12 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 01:23:14 PM
No, a gun is not good for self-defense in your home. The risks by far outweigh the potential benefits (Hemenway, American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine).

Perhaps surprisingly, the evidence does not indicate that having a gun reduces the risk of being a victim of a crime or that having a gun reduces the risk of injury during the commission of a crime.

also:
Yelling (2.7%)

As i said ... "it may be - IF ....."

And as i think most (nearly none) gun-owners are not fit enough on the "if", it was just a way for me to say it more nice than a plain "stupid idea".  ;)
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 01:57:34 PM
If you're in an area or a profession that necessitates you carrying something for self defense, a gun, baton or a good weighty flashlight are substantially more effective.  With proper training, of course.

I agree, partly.

But not the gun - in fact it is a really poor self defense tool. It just has a good lobby from the gun-loving parts of a society.

It´s good to have in a region where wild and potential dangerous animals live - if it has enough stopping power for them.

And it may also be mostly OK to try to defend your home from intruders - IF you heard them first, then had the time to pick your gun, and so on and so on, .....

But other than such a scenario ....... it needs a pretty dumb thug to start screaming "i kill you if you don´t ..." at a distance that gives you enough time to pull your comfy concealed weapon and bring it to action soon enough.

also:
Yelling (2.7%)

Hell, we can quote numbers all day long........
I do know from experience, that a gun is good for home defence. Luckly and thank god I have not had to shoot someone.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 05:22:56 PM
I look at it simply as, yes it is good to be prepared.  This being said the immediate next thought is, will you actually do anything!

Lets face it not everyone is going ot react like a cornered cat.  I've seen way to many times the FIGHT OR FLIGHT response as mostly FLIGHT. 

Ok so when we talk self defense are we talking life threatening?
Are we talking being mugged?

I really dont see anyone honestly responding with a knife or gun or stick or whatever for anything less that life threatening and even then I see hesitation. 

How many trained officers have never fired their weapons?  I know more officers who have never drew their weapons let alone fired them. 

Ok so, recently again in my city there was several individuals involved in a fight that resulted in a knifing/stabbing.  The was a thrusting motion of the stabber not a slashing motion.  There were people around that didnt even know the fight involved a knife.  It was violent and very quick.   

I dont believe you need to be "properly" trained to stab anyone.  What you need is the "ability" to actually do it and this is what I question.  A pointy blade and thrusting/punching attack seems like whats mostly used, think prison stabbings.   

Most of us are law abiding citizens who have never been involved in a fight not to mention a life threatening fight. 

I don't want to sound like I'm getting after anyone but when hear self defense I worry.

To me the bottom line is it doesnt matter what you carry it's will you actually use it and are you willing to deal with the consequences?

Life threatening vs mugging or similar are very different and in most cases a robbery by weapon or strong arm the person just wants the valuables. 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:27:10 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 05:53:52 PM
An incident took place last year at our resident.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=688845

EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 07:43:27 PM
will you actually use it and are you willing to deal with the consequences?

In my opinion it can be even brought down to more basic: Even if you are willing .... are you being just simple able to react?

If someone has you in a dark sidestreet, pointing a gun to you and nicely asking for money, (or as a lady) holding a knife on your throat to force to rape you, do you really believe he would inform you early enough, so that you can grab under layers of clothes or in a fancy maxped-bag to get your own gun?

Or if someone wants to assault you he´s gonna give you a warning when he is still 20 yards away to give you time to prepare? Or will he wait until he is under 2-3 yards from you before he pulls his weapon and goes on you? If he is clever enough to engage from 2 yards, who will say he is able to start without being warned over pulling his own gun and get it ready for action within the timeframe the attacker needs for making 2 steps and his first stab? (and when feeling the pain all your planned actions will be void)  :D
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 08:08:16 PM
Didn't mean to open a can of worms here, just pointing out that knives are terrible options for self defense.  I'm not a huge fan of guns, personally.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 08:19:42 PM

I agree, partly.

also:
Yelling (2.7%)

Hell, we can quote numbers all day long........
I do know from experience, that a gun is good for home defence. Luckly and thank god I have not had to shoot someone.

This^^^

If someone does not want to protect themselves with a firearm in or outside of their home then that is their decision and I am not saying you are right or wrong. All I know is if someone kicks down your door and comes into your house to Kill or Rape you or you wife and kids then their is no way in hell I would choose anything else but a firearm if I have the choice. Simple as that.
I'm the milk man!

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 08:39:00 PM
It´s not that i don´t believe your intention to defend. It´s more that i don´t believe "you" (or others) are capable of doing it effectively in reality.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #40 on: November 20, 2014, 08:45:15 PM
It´s not that i don´t believe your intention to defend. It´s more that i don´t believe "you" (or others) are capable of doing it effectively in reality.
With years of battle reenactment and simulated combats with LEO, anyone try to break in Kampfer's bunker would be terribly sorry and be greet with a storm of 7.62x39mm.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:47:36 PM by Kampfer »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 08:50:31 PM

I understand what you are saying and while in some situations you described the criminal will probably have the jump on you and you will be screwed. I only see these situations being a small percentage of how a attack could actually happen.

Addressing the capability to defend ones self. It seems as though you personally could not since you do not believe others are capable making me believe you, yourself do not feel capable. I think it would be correct to say some may not be capable to defend themselves, but I would think the majority would fight back in a life or death situation.

This is not a shot at you in any way. Just my opinion.
I'm the milk man!

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #42 on: November 20, 2014, 08:52:34 PM
With years of battle reenactment and simulated combats with LEO, anyone try to break in Kampfer's bunker would be terribly sorry and be greet with a storm of 7.62x39mm.

:D

Small Soldiers (4/10) Movie CLIP - Speech of Speeches (1998) HD

:rofl:
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #43 on: November 20, 2014, 09:08:54 PM
I understand what you are saying and while in some situations you described the criminal will probably have the jump on you and you will be screwed. I only see these situations being a small percentage of how a attack could actually happen.

Addressing the capability to defend ones self. It seems as though you personally could not since you do not believe others are capable making me believe you, yourself do not feel capable. I think it would be correct to say some may not be capable to defend themselves, but I would think the majority would fight back in a life or death situation.

Not taken as a shot on me.  :D

The difference may be that i have been trained, so i know what i´m capable to, at what circumstances a effective defense is doable (or at least have a chance good enough to try). I´ve been no rangeshooting couchwarrior.

Other than you i think the percentage where it really could be used with a good chance to success are really small.
A gun in the hand of a civilist often only gives him a wrong feeling of safety, which unfortunately leads often to wrong decisions. That´s the real danger, Joe Sixpack trying to be John Rambo when it would be better to try to be Justin Gatlin.  ;)
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: November 20, 2014, 09:20:57 PM

Not taken as a shot on me.  :D

The difference may be that i have been trained, so i know what i´m capable to, at what circumstances a effective defense is doable (or at least have a chance good enough to try). I´ve been no rangeshooting couchwarrior.

Other than you i think the percentage where it really could be used with a good chance to success are really small.
A gun in the hand of a civilist often only gives him a wrong feeling of safety, which unfortunately leads often to wrong decisions. That´s the real danger, Joe Sixpack trying to be John Rambo when it would be better to try to be Justin Gatlin.  ;)

Again, I feel like it is just a generalized statement. Just because one has a firearm does not mean they are looking for trouble or are trying to shoot someone. I am not sure in what you mean about wrong decisions? Are you saying someone shoots in defense when they should not or are you saying someone would try to pull a firearm when they are already "compromised" and getting themselves hurt?

Anyways, we both have our opinions and i'm sure neither of us is going to change either persons mind on the matter. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. We both just think about things differently.  :salute:
I'm the milk man!

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #45 on: November 20, 2014, 09:58:16 PM
Are you saying someone shoots in defense when they should not or are you saying someone would try to pull a firearm when they are already "compromised" and getting themselves hurt?

No, nothing that way like shooting when not shouldn´t. And the pulling of a weapon when already compromised is one of the examples of being in a situation where having a gun is useless (i assume not many would be that stupid to try to pull their gun being in front of a gun already).

You put the emphasis on the wrong part of my statement, maybe my meaning is better visible here:

gives him a wrong feeling of safety, which unfortunately leads often to wrong decisions. That´s the real danger, Joe Sixpack trying to be John Rambo when it would be better to try to be Justin Gatlin.  ;)

In other words - the danger of someone having a weapon and thinking "I have a gun and can defend my family" instead of going the way of getting your family and run. I know it´s not that heroic, but if someone comes through the frontdoor it´s better to flee with wife and kids on the other side of the house, than risking them getting hit in a shootout.

Sorry if my english is that bad that my opinion can´t be described properly.  :(
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: November 20, 2014, 11:29:39 PM
Michael your points are exactly how I feel. 

Let me try to clarify,  If someone is being mugged I don't see many reacting in any other way than giving up their valuables.  I believe this is the best way to handle it. 

Michael is right also that the attack will come stealthy so there very well will be little time to react.  I am of the belief that most would be incapable as well. 

The false sense he's referring to is when people are armed.  These "tools" give the person a false sense of protection and belief they can and are capable of handling themselves.  I believe differently as I have rarely if ever hear about a mugger getting "dealt with" by a potential victim. 

Someone entering your home is a far different situation and one that IMO is hard to say what one would do.  There were many residential burglaries that gangs were committing while heavily armed and while the residents were home.  I'm not entirely sure how one would handle that.  If you had early warning devices set up then maybe you could get the jump but I dont know how many have these.

There was an incident where a young mom confronted 2 would be burglars with her weapon and shot and killed one, while wounding the other.  This situation is one I've rarely heard of as well. 

I just dont think many people really think it all thru.  There is this feeling that everyone wants to be an OPERATOR or general baddass and its scary.

We wont agree but thats ok.  This is not a topic that one side wins while the other looses. We all want to live in peace and be free from worry about these sort of things and having a conversation is healthy.

Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: November 20, 2014, 11:38:07 PM
Now you have me confused.  :D

Someone within feet of you with a gun pointed at you and you want to run! They would just shoot you in the back. I do agree if you get caught on the street and they get the jump on you the best option in most situations would be to give them what they want. 

I'm sorry, but around here if someone breaks into your house they are getting shot. Trying to get the family and flee is not really a viable option unless you have a huge house or your house layout would accommodate it. This is even more apparent if you live in a two story house as most of the bedrooms are upstairs and if someone kicks in the door while you are upstairs or sleeping their is no way I am going to try and get the family down the stairs and past them. That is just putting them in more harm in my opinion.

I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #48 on: November 20, 2014, 11:40:23 PM
I am with Cap.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 11:55:45 PM
If someone enters a home while the residents are there this is a very very scary situation and one none of us wants to be in.   

Self defense is one thing and this is a whole other ball game. 

Life threatening situations are one thing while so called self defense situations are another.

I'd say this if someone enters a home at night then they most likely have bad intentions and each family hopefully has practiced what to do.
When my kids were younger we did have many practice scenarios.  I also have a dog as my early warning. 

Carrying a knife of any kind or weapon thinking you will defend yourself on the street is your business.  I just believe most would not be prepared to do so nor would they have time in most cases. 

In your home defense is a whole other scenario.  I sure hope non of us ever are faced with these situations and all this talk is just that, talk. 

It is interesting to hear what others feeling are.       

Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #50 on: November 21, 2014, 12:18:07 AM

Someone within feet of you with a gun pointed at you and you want to run! They would just shoot you in the back. I do agree if you get caught on the street and they get the jump on you the best option in most situations would be to give them what they want.

In that situation running would be as stupid as pulling a knife or gun.  :D Give them what they want and hope they will leavo, or someone else sees it and calls the police. Just don´t make them nerveous, as most are no trained killers and already are under pressure with that situation.

I´m talking on that situations were someone would be able to flee, and let the agressor have what they can grab. But due to being armed some are being overconfident and starting a action they can´t handle, for just some stupid goods (as they could have been in safety when leaving the scene). "Only a fool will fight inside a burning house", as the Klingons say.  ;)

I'm sorry, but around here if someone breaks into your house they are getting shot. Trying to get the family and flee is not really a viable option unless you have a huge house or your house layout would accommodate it. This is even more apparent if you live in a two story house as most of the bedrooms are upstairs and if someone kicks in the door while you are upstairs or sleeping their is no way I am going to try and get the family down the stairs and past them. That is just putting them in more harm in my opinion.

If they are loud enough to wake you up, and you have no way out - sure, try to safe your ass the best you can.

But most don´t want any attraction, they try to sneak in and out without being loud.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #51 on: November 21, 2014, 01:09:28 AM
Most people believe Asian households are loaded with cash and jewels, and they are not armed. (most the time is true),
If they broke in and couldn't find any, they might just torture the women or kids to gain that information. 

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: November 21, 2014, 01:14:15 AM

In that situation running would be as stupid as pulling a knife or gun.  :D Give them what they want and hope they will leavo, or someone else sees it and calls the police. Just don´t make them nerveous, as most are no trained killers and already are under pressure with that situation.

I´m talking on that situations were someone would be able to flee, and let the agressor have what they can grab. But due to being armed some are being overconfident and starting a action they can´t handle, for just some stupid goods (as they could have been in safety when leaving the scene). "Only a fool will fight inside a burning house", as the Klingons say.  ;)

If they are loud enough to wake you up, and you have no way out - sure, try to safe your ass the best you can.

But most don´t want any attraction, they try to sneak in and out without being loud.

Well we finally slightly agree on something.  :D  :rofl:
I'm the milk man!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: November 21, 2014, 11:21:51 AM
I think whether you choose to have a gun for Home-Defense or not is up to you. But in all seriousness, if you do, you should be aware of the risks associated with gun ownership.

Rage and Alcohol
Most murders within a house are committed by a family member or a close friend (95% of in House murders). So if you lean towards violence you might be the biggest threat to your family. Also its recommended to stay of alcohol (or go easy).

Accidents
Also far more likely than an intruder is accidental death. Its not enough to practice your gun skills and gun safety but also critical to learn about 1st aid especially treating gun related injuries (Its in the nature of accidents that they cannot be entirely avoided).

While the two above are somewhat under your control, and risk can be minimized, the last one is more difficult.

Suicide
Independent of method the chance that a survivor commits a second suicide attempt is 10% (so the method of suicide does not reflect the commitment to suicide). The problem with guns is, that they are easy to use in suicide and very lethal (unlike pills for example).
So depression in a household with gun is very dangerous.
Triggers like loosing the job, getting a bad grade, getting dumped by boyfriend can lead to spontaneous suicide even in people with no history of depression. Here the availability of a suicide method is critical (guns, pills etc). If no easy method is available it usually does not happen. So combining the availability of guns with the lethality of guns leads to a high rate of spontaneous suicides.

Finally some numbers
Of about 800 break-ins where someone was at home, only in 40 cases the intruder was armed with a gun (there might be more but if the intruder does not show his gun and leaves you will never know). 8 people got killed, SIX of them with their own gun. That is not a surprising number, considering that in about 4-6* cases the intruder was well known (close family friend, ex-boyfriend etc.) to the home owner.

*Extrapolated from the fact that in case someone breaks into your house and murders you, chances are about 66% that he was a close family friend.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 11:29:58 AM
I think that in switzerland, like here too, you keep your army gun at home, right?

In theory you are likely to be met with a semi-automatic rifle if you go in a swiss man's home.

I find it interesting that in countries where most houses have army guns and shotguns you have less problems with gun crimes than in other countries where it is in theory harder to get a big gun.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #55 on: November 21, 2014, 11:42:22 AM
A few years back I was reading a statistic about homicides involving guns. The country with most of them was the USA, followed by Switzerland in second place. I can't verify that though.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: November 21, 2014, 12:44:31 PM
I think that in switzerland, like here too, you keep your army gun at home, right?

In theory you are likely to be met with a semi-automatic rifle if you go in a swiss man's home.

I find it interesting that in countries where most houses have army guns and shotguns you have less problems with gun crimes than in other countries where it is in theory harder to get a big gun.
We don't have ammo for it.

And technically its a full-auto (at least while you are in active duty)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: November 21, 2014, 12:49:06 PM
A few years back I was reading a statistic about homicides involving guns. The country with most of them was the USA, followed by Switzerland in second place. I can't verify that though.
USA is 14th, Switzerland is further down (together with Canada)

This is a very difficult comparison as you have to take into account things like population density and such.

In terms of suicide, USA is 4th and Switzerland 7th.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #58 on: November 21, 2014, 12:50:26 PM
I did want to say auto...   :facepalm:

I was not aware that you do not have Ammo. That does delay the responce to an emergency a bit, as you will need to go to a meeting  place to get the ammo first, and if that place happens to be bombed or hard to reach you can not begin fighting.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: November 21, 2014, 12:52:46 PM
I did want to say auto...   :facepalm:

I was not aware that you do not have Ammo. That does delay the responce to an emergency a bit, as you will need to go to a meeting  place to get the ammo first, and if that place happens to be bombed or hard to reach you can not begin fighting.
We used to have two mags at home but because of the high suicide rate this practice was changed.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%