Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Restoring an old SAK

Offline PotatoSAK

• New User
Restoring an old SAK
on: July 01, 2014, 01:10:26 PM
My friend gave me a beat-up SAK that he found on the side of the road, and it was absolutely covered in filth. I cleaned out most of the gunk, and used a scotch brite pad to clear away the rust on the blades. However, even after all this, some of the tools don't have the springy snap as they are deployed.
Would this issue be solved once some the hinges are lubricated? Also, what lubricants would you recommend?

Also, my mum gave me her old SAK which is in need of some cleaningm. However, it doesn't have any scale tool holes, meaning I can't pry the scales open. How could I go about doing so?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: Restoring an old SAK
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:27:38 PM
Not an expert in any way or shape, but here are a few pointers:
  • opening and closing the tools in a warm bath with dish detergent does wonders
  • rubbing the liners with toothpaste is a nice touch
  • if not, oiling should fix it.. put a droplet on the hinges than shake it all around AKA open and close each tool a lot
  • I replaced Toothpick-less scales before.. it's a bit harder and you need to use a thinner blade (I like my Watch Case opener). After the bath in warm water it should be softer and less brittle

For oiling I just use Vic's oil. It's nice and good and food-safe. I used it copiously for about 20 saks so far and the bottle is only half-way gone:

PS: Rust on a sak? Are you sure it's a proper Swiss knife? Never saw one with rust on, regardless of the abuse. (except for a test one which was kept in an open bag, in the ocean for a few weeks.)
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Offline PotatoSAK

• New User
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 01:33:35 PM
Not an expert in any way or shape, but here are a few pointers:
  • opening and closing the tools in a warm bath with dish detergent does wonders
  • rubbing the liners with toothpaste is a nice touch
  • if not, oiling should fix it.. put a droplet on the hinges than shake it all around AKA open and close each tool a lot
  • I replaced Toothpick-less scales before.. it's a bit harder and you need to use a thinner blade (I like my Watch Case opener). After the bath in warm water it should be softer and less brittle

For oiling I just use Vic's oil. It's nice and good and food-safe. I used it copiously for about 20 saks so far and the bottle is only half-way gone

PS: Rust on a sak? Are you sure it's a proper Swiss knife? Never saw one with rust on, regardless of the abuse. (except for a test one which was kept in an open bag, in the ocean for a few weeks.)

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to keep them in mind.
And regarding your last, question, I am quite sure that is is a proper SAK. It wasn't the blade itself which had oxidized, but some gunky particles that may have gotten trapped inside the knife. Most of it was easily removed by a cotton bud (q-tip, whatever), and a little persuasion with the scotchbrite pad removed the more stubborn spots. The tools were fine, though.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:39:16 PM
Just soak it in some WD-40 for like a day. Then work the tools, rinse and repeat till it's acceptable.
If their still isn't any snap most likely you have oxidized liners (the aluminum gets pitted) which is somewhat common.
Should have taken some before and after pics. People love before and after pics.

What model SAK's? Just out of curiosty.

@Corwyn, any metal can rust.

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:45:04 PM
Warm water and Dawn soap works wonders, also before you take the scales off run them under warm water, makes them much more pliable.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

Offline PotatoSAK

• New User
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 03:55:54 AM
@Fattsgalore, the model I was given was an old Tinker. The blade inscription is Victorinox Switzerland Stainless Rostfrei on one side, and Officier Suisse on the other.

Offline PotatoSAK

• New User
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:53:31 AM
Here's the before and after pics
DSCN810999.jpg
* DSCN810999.jpg (Filesize: 128.19 KB)

gb Offline Philby

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 09:05:02 AM
Here's the before and after pics
Good work! :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 09:26:47 AM
Good job there Spuddy! :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%