Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best LM for the money

sawman · 80 · 4786

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Best LM for the money
on: June 29, 2014, 11:17:31 PM
I don't want to make this one a poll as you may have multiple answers and in a particular order.

I was wondering in your experiences, which LM you found to be the best for the money.

I'm torn in my answer but would have to go start with the Rebar, which I've come across in prices ranging from $36 to approx. $50. While I mostly EDC a Wave, they are considerably more expensive and don't make it to this list.

Next, I would actually say the PST. I own several of these which I purchased in new condition for around $40 each. For the money, and considering these are long discontinued yet still available, this is one of THE best tools.

There are other LM's I love but will not list them as I feel they're a bit pricey. Example: the Style CS. One of my favorites and common EDC, I don't feel it's worth $20. If I were to price it, it would go for around $12-$15.

The Raptor, while extremely awesome, also does not make my list, as it's way too pricey for what it is.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the best LM's for the money!
SAW

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Best LM for the money
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:25:37 PM
 The Micra I'm my opinion has to be the most bang for the buck leatherman.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Roche

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:26:42 PM
Since 1997 I've been carrying a $20 Micra and have used it countless times, for me that is tough to beat in terms of great value.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:30:49 PM by Roche »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:27:47 PM
I got my first LM for $20, wingman
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline sawman

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:29:14 PM
I like the Micra too but I just don't feel it's worth $20, IMO.
SAW

us Offline sawman

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:30:14 PM
I got my first LM for $20, wingman
My favorite feature of the Wingman is those scissors. They're awesome. I have some other issues with the tool though.
SAW

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 11:41:54 PM
Leatherman makes quite a few awesome tools, few of which are value for money (IMHO) certainly here in my neck of the world. Victorinox SAK's can be good value but the swisstools/spirits are silly prices really.
my LEATHERMAN top 4
Rebar (#1 for value, tools & size)
Wave  ( love the OHO Blades and they are the most comfy pliers by far)
Squirt(s) (way too pricey but well made and so easy to carry yet still practical, AND people friendly ! most            common reaction to seeing a squirt is owww that's clever/cute, not the hysteria caused by most multis)
PST/fuse (no fuss and plenty to work with, while easy to pocket)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:43:50 PM by Taxi Dad »

us Offline sawman

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 11:43:23 PM
I love the Fuse but failed to mention it because of the price. The orange ones are going for around $50 which I think is a little steep.
SAW

us Offline Roche

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 11:47:01 PM
Best LM for the money if purchasing your first LM today - Rebar.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 11:53:14 PM

I do.

its a little tank of a tool and it offers the most tools for its price.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sawman

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:56:32 PM

I do.

its a little tank of a tool and it offers the most tools for its price.
Apparently you're not the only person who feels it's worth that as it's their longest running tool (released in 96). :tu:
SAW

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 11:58:20 PM
just to shock you and bring perspective Rebar in Blighty is about £50 =$85 approx. would you be happy to pay that  ::)

us Offline sawman

Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 12:01:30 AM
just to shock you and bring perspective Rebar in Blighty is about £50 =$85 approx. would you be happy to pay that  ::)
Maybe I should have titled my topic "Best LM for the money in USA"  :think:
SAW

gb Offline pingu

Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 12:12:32 AM

Wow.  These are pushing £40 in the UK at the moment  :rant:, particularly for SS finish but I have just got a SS Micra/Kick/Crater C33 combo pack for £45 which IMO over here is good value if the contents suit. Which they did for me. :tu:

us Offline sawman

Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 12:14:24 AM
There's definitely deals to be found. The best one posted here on MTO recently was from West Marine for a Rebar & Micra combo at $36 USD shipped! I bought one for myself and one for a friend and wound up gifting mine to someone who helped me out.
SAW

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 12:20:57 AM
Rebar hands down for best value.   But really a wave is pretty close too as its very well made but it at a higher price point.  Close second.

The micra isnt on my radar at all, never liked them.  I paid $40 new for the rebar when it first came out, and thats the price of 2 micras. Id much rather have 1 rebar vs 2 micras.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:23:19 AM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline sawman

Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 12:24:30 AM
Rebar hands down for best value.   But really a wave is pretty close too as its very well made but it at a higher price point.  Close second.
I'd concur with the Wave so long as I could count on being able to buy one at the prices I got mine at (around $50). I keep seeing them on eBay NIP for that but they're few in numbers.
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 12:27:23 AM
I would say the Rebar has the most bang for your buck when we are referring to it in the $35 range. I see them around the $50 range now and that seems a bit steep and I personally would not pay that for one. When the Blast was in production it could be had in the $35 range as well and I think the Blast was the top dog in its day if we are referring to bang for your buck. On occasion in the past a NIB Wave could be had for $43.00 which is a killer deal. I guess it all depends on what kind of deals you can find.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 12:37:14 AM
I would say the Rebar has the most bang for your buck when we are referring to it in the $35 range. I see them around the $50 range now and that seems a bit steep and I personally would not pay that for one. When the Blast was in production it could be had in the $35 range as well and I think the Blast was the top dog in its day if we are referring to bang for your buck. On occasion in the past a NIB Wave could be had for $43.00 which is a killer deal. I guess it all depends on what kind of deals you can find.
Like I said, LM seems to have made a sweeping effort to increase their prices everywhere. I've seen their prices shoot up nearly everyplace I've looked. I get a feeling any remaining "deals" are non-dealers - people who received them as gifts perhaps and are looking to offload them - maybe have some leftover stock from before LM increased the prices. It sucks though and I fear this is going to backfire for LM in that they won't sell so stores will be forced to clearance them out and stop selling LM altogether!  ::)
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 12:39:25 AM
Like I said, LM seems to have made a sweeping effort to increase their prices everywhere. I've seen their prices shoot up nearly everyplace I've looked. I get a feeling any remaining "deals" are non-dealers - people who received them as gifts perhaps and are looking to offload them - maybe have some leftover stock from before LM increased the prices. It sucks though and I fear this is going to backfire for LM in that they won't sell so stores will be forced to clearance them out and stop selling LM altogether!  ::)

You could be right. Increasing the price doesn't always mean higher profit if they sell less tools. It actually can be quite opposite in my opinion. Making tool very affordable will sell more thus making profit greater. They just have to find that middle ground. Seems they bumped up prices quite a bit.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 12:41:05 AM

You could be right. Increasing the price doesn't always mean higher profit if they sell less tools.
Seriously, and at these higher prices, I expect to see super QC and less garbage like the new Juice!
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 12:46:28 AM

You could be right. Increasing the price doesn't always mean higher profit if they sell less tools.
Seriously, and at these higher prices, I expect to see super QC and less garbage like the new Juice!

Don't count on it.  ::) It seems Leatherman as well as 90% of most companies (tool related or not) only loose quality in products as the years go by. It's really sad to see.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 12:47:52 AM

Don't count on it.  ::) It seems Leatherman as well as 90% of most companies (tool related or not) only loose quality in products as the years go by. It's really sad to see.
I fear that if anything ever happens to Tim, everything will go straight down the crapper real QUICK!
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 12:53:22 AM

I fear that if anything ever happens to Tim, everything will go straight down the crapper real QUICK!

Sadly I think your right about that. I assume his son would take over, but apparently he is responsible for the whole action sports line so I have no confidence (as of now) he would take the company in the right direction.

I know this is very harsh of me to say and is just a assumption. I also understand that what the general consensus around here (or just myself at the very least) may be about non traditional type tools may not be what makes money for the company in the future. It's entirely possible the demand for traditional type tools could get mostly phased out with plastic, flashy, sport specific tools.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Roche

Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 01:58:03 AM
No shock, compare the consumer commodity gasoline / petrol.  Here is what I paid the last time I filled up:

$3.40 / gallon or $0.90 / liter = £0.53 / liter = €0.66 / liter.

Why the disparity?  Start with government taxes / VAT.

au Offline aussieman

Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 02:32:45 AM
I think the best value for money Leatherman is your first one.  :D

And then you discover Multitool.org, the home of sharing temptations.

Your second Leatherman doesn't really add a lot of capability you didn't have before. It just does it in a different way. A very very nice way actually.

Ooh look there is a Flashlight forum too. Zebralight thanks. Oooh Powerex C9000 charger... let's get into rechargeables again.

The third Leatherman is really more than you NEED, but boy it makes a nice change, and was very educational.

And then you discover Skinths....  :mail:

Actually looking back I can't really call that first Leatherman value for money.  :facepalm:

But who are we to put a price on happy eh? :tu:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 02:39:18 AM
No shock, compare the consumer commodity gasoline / petrol.  Here is what I paid the last time I filled up:

$3.40 / gallon or $0.90 / liter = £0.53 / liter = €0.66 / liter.

Why the disparity?  Start with government taxes / VAT.

Well the problem with gasoline is the government has a great interest and hands in the pocket of the oil companies. Oil prices can be raised on speculation and speculation alone which should be criminal in my mind. We all know the Government is the biggest crook of them all.  :twak:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Rux

Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 02:44:55 AM
I paid $45 for my BO Rebar NIB. Doesn't get much better than that.

My Skeletool + Style CS cost me $40 as a set. That's a pretty good deal too imo, albeit not as versatile on tool count.

us Offline sawman

Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 02:50:14 AM
I paid $45 for my BO Rebar NIB. Doesn't get much better than that.

My Skeletool + Style CS cost me $40 as a set. That's a pretty good deal too imo, albeit not as versatile on tool count.
$45 is a great price for a BO one. I've found them on eBay on occasion for that price.
SAW

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 02:52:03 AM
I think the best LM for the money is the Style CS.  Sure there's not much to it, but what it has works great!  I think a Supertool (any) would get second place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD