Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Sideclip value?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
LM Sideclip value?
on: June 18, 2008, 11:58:25 AM
I've almost persuaded my brother to sell the Sideclip I gave him and buy a tool with more comfort/features and was wondering what sort of prices they command on the UK and worldwide market's ???

It's in good used condition, but no box or paperwork :-\, I haven't got a picture of it as it doesn't live with me, so for now I'm just looking at it's approximate value :)

Thanks in advance guy's :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: LM Sideclip value?
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 12:01:00 PM
I'll give him a fiver for it :D

Seriously though, I would say £30-5 ish maybe a bit lower or higher depending on condition.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:02:23 PM
I'll give him a fiver for it :D

Seriously though, I would say £30-5 ish maybe a bit lower or higher depending on condition.
:twak:

I figured it'd be about that, thanks mate :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:07:12 PM
I might know someone that would be interested if he did want to sell it.  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
I'm back!!

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 12:07:47 PM
I might know someone that would be interested if he did want to sell it.  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
I'll bear that in mind mate :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:10:03 PM
There doesn't seem to be any real rules for the Sideclip in the UK. I see them routinely go for 40-50 GBP on ebay, often bearing a sponsor's logo or something too.

If it ain't boxed  and unused, I'd have said 30GBP was "doing him a favour" micky, but there's no list price any more to refer to, so I guess its up to you to decide what it's worth to you!

I actually have a spare, NIB one, but I'm holding out for stupid money :D
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:11:47 PM
There doesn't seem to be any real rules for the Sideclip in the UK. I see them routinely go for 40-50 GBP on ebay, often bearing a sponsor's logo or something too.

If it ain't boxed  and unused, I'd have said 30GBP was "doing him a favour" micky, but there's no list price any more to refer to, so I guess its up to you to decide what it's worth to you!

2p ? :think: thats definitely stupid money :P :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:12:31 PM
Lol - actually technically that would be crazy money. Stupid money is the other way :D

Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:13:08 PM

Hmm, so it's either float it abroad or just forget about it then ???

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 12:22:25 PM
well, it's down to luck as much as anything micky.

I was in the habit of buying and selling these things for a while via ebay, but I got "shut down" by LMs UK importer and so still have one left. I sold about 8 in total, ranging from 26-50 GBP. It really depends on who happens to want it, see it and how many others are listed on ebay at the same time. I sold them to Sweden, Italy, France, Belgium and other places too I think - but it's all about being fortunate I think.

If I wanted to list mine on ebay now, I'd have to list it as used, which would devalue it, and even then because I am 'known to them' it might get pulled anyway.

I've thought about listing it in the forums here, but I want "stupid money" (TM DK 2008) for it and I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for that here - this forum isn't like that!

I'm thinking I should either make it a user, or trade it for something.

Maybe trading it would the best bet for your bro?

Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 12:34:04 PM
well, it's down to luck as much as anything micky.

I was in the habit of buying and selling these things for a while via ebay, but I got "shut down" by LMs UK importer and so still have one left. I sold about 8 in total, ranging from 26-50 GBP. It really depends on who happens to want it, see it and how many others are listed on ebay at the same time. I sold them to Sweden, Italy, France, Belgium and other places too I think - but it's all about being fortunate I think.

If I wanted to list mine on ebay now, I'd have to list it as used, which would devalue it, and even then because I am 'known to them' it might get pulled anyway.

I've thought about listing it in the forums here, but I want "stupid money" (TM DK 2008) for it and I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for that here - this forum isn't like that!

I'm thinking I should either make it a user, or trade it for something.

Maybe trading it would the best bet for your bro?
Well I had said about a trade, but he want's something new, ideally he want's a Blast (the heathen doesn't like Vic's purely coz I do ::)) but if it's unlikely he's raise enough money for one I doubt he'd bother (he's not a tool freak like me) :-\

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 12:47:03 PM
I'd say he'd get a taker for a Blast on here!

This is the thing with the discontinued stuff, particularly in the UK. You can get a Blast for 25GBP delivered from the states anyday on ebay, if I didn't currently have 2 of each I'd take him up on it.

Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 12:49:19 PM
I'd say he'd get a taker for a Blast on here!

This is the thing with the discontinued stuff, particularly in the UK. You can get a Blast for 25GBP delivered from the states anyday on ebay, if I didn't currently have 2 of each I'd take him up on it.
Thank's mate, I'll let him know :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 01:27:48 PM

I was in the habit of buying and selling these things for a while via ebay, but I got "shut down" by LMs UK importer......

Hang on there, what's this about? (Sorry to go off topic Mike) How is it they can shut you down?  ???
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 01:28:50 PM

I was in the habit of buying and selling these things for a while via ebay, but I got "shut down" by LMs UK importer......

Hang on there, what's this about? (Sorry to go off topic Mike) How is it they can shut you down?  ???
A quiet word in ebay's ear probably >:(

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 01:31:34 PM

A quiet word in ebay's ear probably >:(

Actually I meant by what right to they have to shut him down? If you have something to sell, are you not able to list it on eBay as such?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 01:32:41 PM
If I remember rightly Leatherman only allow one official importer of their tools in each country, in the UK its Whitby & Co (i think) Retailers then buy their stock of them. Therefore if you are buying LM's in from the US and selling them yourself you are infact doing the importers job which Leatherman frown upon.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 01:38:47 PM
Well, basically, LMs UK importer insist that they have a sole import rights for Leatherman goods to the UK, and therefore anything I import is in their words a "Grey Import" and infringes their rights. Ebay have a program called VERO, where people can grass you up and ebay simply pull the listings, (only returning part of the fee incidentally).

I strongly suspect that this is all rubbish, and that in fact the importer's agreement is purely an agreement with LTG that they won't sell anything wholesale to anyone else in the UK. Ebay aren't interested, and it would cost me a lot of money (far more than I would ever profit from sales) to hire a lawyer and contest it.

It's very frustrating, because I think they are damaging Leatherman's sales here in the UK by insisting that their "legitimate" retailers cannot sell below a certain SRP. I believe that thi shappens in the US too, but over here the SRPs are set at roughly double the US prices:

Wave : 89.95 GBP
Charge : 129:95 GBP
Blast 59.95 GBP

If they catch you selling the cheaper than that - they "shut you down".

I suspect that this is a restriction of trade under EU law - but I can't afford to take it to court.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 01:39:30 PM
If I remember rightly Leatherman only allow one official importer of their tools in each country, in the UK its Whitby & Co (i think) Retailers then buy their stock of them. Therefore if you are buying LM's in from the US and selling them yourself you are infact doing the importers job which Leatherman frown upon.

That is the crux of their argument. The legality however doesn't seem that clear cut to me.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 06:34:21 PM
That doesn't sound very right to me.  I haven't ever heard of anything like that here  >:(  I can't believe that anyone anywhere can't just buy and sell from where they want ???

Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 06:44:53 PM
That doesn't sound very right to me.  I haven't ever heard of anything like that here  >:(  I can't believe that anyone anywhere can't just buy and sell from where they want ???
But this is rip off Britain, so they can do the hell they like >:(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 08:19:01 PM
But this is rip off Britain, so they can do the hell they like >:(

That's my point really, I don't think it's anything to do with Britain, just Whitby's. This is a public forum, so I'll moderate my thoughts somewhat, but unless I want to fight them over it, I'm all done :(

The annoying thing is that I wasn't after any serious profit, the formula simply was buy 3 tools when you see a good deal, keep one and sell 2 on. If I had bought all my tools at Whitby's prices, I would have spent thousands of pounds by now - in other words I couldn't afford this hobby.

I have considered contacting LTG for their thoughts on this, as surely charging twice as much for their tools over here means they sell half as many? I wonder of they're aware even?

But whilst Whitby's use an exchange rate of $1 = £1 - Leatherman are never going to sell many are they?

Hypothetical question for our US members - would you pay twice as much for your Leatherman Tools as you currently do? I'm guessing you wouldn't buy as many at least!

And whilst we feel sorry for the Brits here, in Germany the Skeletool CX is selling for as much as £110 plus shipping on ebay! Thats $220  :o

Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 09:58:32 PM
Now that a damn scarry price :o

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 03:59:22 AM
Or, how about Eddie from the Philippines- he said he spent around $300 USD on his TTi!
B

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 01:52:05 PM
Or, how about Eddie from the Philippines- he said he spent around $300 USD on his TTi!

That would be similar - list price is £139.95 (approx $280) over here.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 02:32:33 PM
Yeah
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00