Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A little Wildlife Photo excursion.

Chako · 71 · 5209

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
A little Wildlife Photo excursion.
on: July 03, 2014, 05:53:36 PM
It wasn't the nicest day, being overcast and all, but I decided today was the day to take out my wildlife rig. Now I haven't done much of this type of photography in the last 6 years or so...so it felt good to take out the camera. I only visited Bellvue Park, a city park located in the east end on the waterfront. The excursion was brief, only lasting around 20 minutes, but I think I got some good images, and I must admit, I am a bit rusty.  :-[

There were plenty of Mallards around to take photos. These guys were relatively tames as I think half the city feeds them.

Then there was this little guy.

Nearby, was this one as well.

And another red squirrel...only an action shot of sorts.

And the always present gulls.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:55:55 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: A little Wildlife Photo excursion.
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:52:37 PM
Killer pics Dan!!!  Here, we have dozens of geese that visit quite often and oddly enough they like to eat dry cat food  :think:
SAW

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 12:02:09 AM
looks great Dan,  makes me want my camera even more.  I guess I will get it around February  :hu:

ah well,  it will be great when I get it
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 12:27:18 AM
Thanks.

With the Canon EOS 1D Mark II N's cropping factor of 1.3X, the 50-500mm Sigma lens I use turns into a  virtual 65 to 650mm lens.

Here is a shot with the lens set to 50mm = 65mm.

And the same photo, only with the Bigma set to its longest reach of 500mm = 650mm.

Just remember that our eye is very close to what a 45mm lens will offer you.

Now with my Canon 50D, which has a cropping factor of 1.6X, that 50 to 500mm lens reproduces results similar to an 80 to 800mm lens. A better reach, but the EOS 1D Mark II N has 45 sensors that can track moving things...and can shoot 8.5 FPS if needed.

For all of the above photos I used:
- Canon EOS 1D Mark II N.
- Sigma 50-500mm lens
- BushHawk gun stock mount with cable release trigger.
- Canon 580EX flash with Better Beamer attachment.

us Offline detron

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 07:51:10 PM
Thanks.

With the Canon EOS 1D Mark II N's cropping factor of 1.3X, the 50-500mm Sigma lens I use turns into a  virtual 65 to 650mm lens.

Here is a shot with the lens set to 50mm = 65mm.

And the same photo, only with the Bigma set to its longest reach of 500mm = 650mm.

Just remember that our eye is very close to what a 45mm lens will offer you.

Now with my Canon 50D, which has a cropping factor of 1.6X, that 50 to 500mm lens reproduces results similar to an 80 to 800mm lens. A better reach, but the EOS 1D Mark II N has 45 sensors that can track moving things...and can shoot 8.5 FPS if needed.

For all of the above photos I used:
- Canon EOS 1D Mark II N.
- Sigma 50-500mm lens
- BushHawk gun stock mount with cable release trigger.
- Canon 580EX flash with Better Beamer attachment.

this is the best I could do with a little point and shoot,  from about 10 feet away!  (I threw the other 104 pictures away as they were fuzzy, blurry, or plain.

so I took 105 photos as fast as I could ZOOMED in, and this is all I got.

I cannot wait to get my DSLR and start playing.

I know a good camera does not make me a photographer any more than standing in my garage makes me a car,  but I am excited anyway

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 08:07:05 PM
Jeez, I somehow missed this thread.  I love wildlife photography!

Here are just some of what I have (only ones on photobucket)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:15:01 PM by derekmac »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 08:09:08 PM
Great pics Dan!!  That lens has a different bokeh effect too it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 11:50:52 PM
Your photos are wonderful. That Raccoon was very expressive.  :tu:

Yeah, I love the results of the Bigma. It is big, heavy, and slow...but the photos it takes are not bad for a lens that cost a fraction of an OEM 500mm prime lens.

detron, a DSLR will help you out a lot.

us Offline detron

Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 12:26:30 AM

Yeah, I love the results of the Bigma. It is big, heavy, and slow...but the photos it takes are not bad for a lens that cost a fraction of an OEM 500mm prime lens.

I know,  and I am stoked!  I keep telling myself to be patient, but we all know how useless that action is.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 01:04:27 AM

Thank you Dan, that means a lot to me.  :salute:   Yep, that guy was a cheeky bugger!!  :D  I would LOVE to have a 500mm prime, but my wife won't let me re-mortgage the house to get one!!  :rofl: 

I know,  and I am stoked!  I keep telling myself to be patient, but we all know how useless that action is.
It you know how to compose a picture (which it seems like you do), then getting a DSLR will allow you imagination to run wild, capturing photos that you would have not thought possible before.  When you start going beyond the kit lens that comes with the camera, you'll also have a wow moment, as the glass quality is usually much superior.

us Offline detron

Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 01:11:36 AM

It you know how to compose a picture (which it seems like you do), then getting a DSLR will allow you imagination to run wild, capturing photos that you would have not thought possible before.  When you start going beyond the kit lens that comes with the camera, you'll also have a wow moment, as the glass quality is usually much superior.

I am basically getting this package plus a decent tripod.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-75-300mm-Telephoto/dp/B00HS0BXGA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1405811130&sr=8-10&keywords=t5i

not saying every piece of this is the best, but this to me is a good start.  and as I play, I will get more stuff.

I really like everything I have read about the Canon rebel t5i, (Which is a lot)  and am SO excited to get started.

Chako has been a huge help, and he is not the only enabler who made me want a DSLR  :pok:   :rofl: 

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 01:17:46 AM

I am basically getting this package plus a decent tripod.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-75-300mm-Telephoto/dp/B00HS0BXGA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1405811130&sr=8-10&keywords=t5i

not saying every piece of this is the best, but this to me is a good start.  and as I play, I will get more stuff.

I really like everything I have read about the Canon rebel t5i, (Which is a lot)  and am SO excited to get started.

Chako has been a huge help, and he is not the only enabler who made me want a DSLR  :pok:   :rofl:
:whistle:     :rofl:

That looks like a great package to start out with.  :tu:   Canon really does make good cameras, and they have more lenses and accessories than you can shake a stick at!  I've always been a Minolta lover, which mean I'm now a Sony lover (don't care for anything else Sony puts out, minus the PS3/PS4). 

I think you'll be really happy with that setup, and can't wait to see what you do with it.  :cheers:

us Offline detron

Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 01:22:04 AM
I have the determination

but it would be nice to have better tools.   

the bright side to waiting on getting the camera ( :think:) is I am learning before I get it, which will make it less scary once I do get it

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 01:30:05 AM
I have the determination

the bright side to waiting on getting the camera ( :think:) is I am learning before I get it, which will make it less scary once I do get it
Just think how that would look with a dedicated macro lens!!  :drool:

That it will.  I recommend to read, read and read some more.  I've been using SLR cameras since I was in late elementary school, and had to teach myself how they work.  Getting my first DSLR had a fireworks display going off in my head.  Imagine, not having to wait to get film developed to see how they turned out!! :dd:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 01:34:09 AM
About that kit...

The 75-300mm lens is better than the 70-300mm lens, which is a bit of kit I would warn you to stay away from. The other lens is good as well. However, be sure that you get Canon's battery charger that should come with that kit. I note a third party charger which is BS as a new camera ships with the official OEM battery and charger. Plenty of disreputable dealers take these out and sell them for more and replace them with junk.

Those screw on lenses are junk and I wouldn't recommend you use them at all. Those close up filters are useful however and are a good addition, as are the other filters. Backpack is nice as is the rest of the gear.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:36:13 AM by Chako »

us Offline detron

Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 01:38:44 AM
I have the determination

Just think how that would look with a dedicated macro lens!!  :drool:

That it will.  I recommend to read, read and read some more.  I've been using SLR cameras since I was in late elementary school, and had to teach myself how they work.  Getting my first DSLR had a fireworks display going off in my head.  Imagine, not having to wait to get film developed to see how they turned out!! :dd:

I watched a review (more of a 30 minute beginners guide) to the Rebel t5i,  and the reviewer was very happy with what Canon had done with the touch screen, and what he called a beginners mode.  basically it can work like a simple point and shoot as far as "modes" but displays the professional info at the same time.

so if I selected "Landscape"  it will adjust to that, but display the ISO, and all other settings it used to achieve this mode.  I think this would be a great help with learning how these settings affect the outcome.

us Offline detron

Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 01:40:34 AM
About that kit...

The 75-300mm lens is better than the 70-300mm lens, which is a bit of kit I would warn you to stay away from. The other lens is good as well. However, be sure that you get Canon's battery charger that should come with that kit. I note a third party charger which is BS as a new camera ships with the official OEM battery and charger. Plenty of disreputable dealers take these out and sell them for more and replace them with junk.

Those screw on lenses are junk and I wouldn't recommend you use them at all. Those close up filters are useful however and are a good addition, as are the other filters. Backpack is nice as is the rest of the gear.

glad you pointed that out,  what about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9ELXBK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p421_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1PWEZC6E100ZF9NG1Z71&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

the close up lenses are cheap enough that I can obtain them later if I have to

us Offline detron

Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 01:42:07 AM
I might buy things individually, but the 18-55 and the 75-300 lenses and the up close lenses are my main desires, along with a tripod

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 01:49:58 AM
All DSLRs have a point and shoot mode. If not a green mode, then a program mode that will do the job nicely. Even the super expensive Pro models have a program mode. They won't usually have that green mode.

Those scenic modes are almost a waste. I never use them...but I guess they could help a beginner out...but I can assure you, once you know your camera and how it operates, you won't be using those modes. So long as it has Program, Manual, Shutter priority, Aperture priority, and bulb, you should be set for anything.

As for the touchscreen...that is always a bad idea on a camera. At least Canon gives you knobs and buttons also. Whenever I hear touchscreen, I am thinking finger prints...and on an LCD that you will use to review your photos...not a good thing I think. That the LCD is a pivot model is a big boon for macro work or over crowd picture taking.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-700d-rebel-t5i

Here is a good review of that camera.  :tu:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 01:57:24 AM
I didn't notice the third party charger.  I would strongly recommend staying away from third party charges and batteries for it.  Spend the few extra bucks and get OEM.

Dan is right about the filters.  You really don't need filters with a DSLR, but I use Hoya UV filters (since I had them) to help protect my lenses.  I also like to shoot waterfalls, so I use an ND filter for that.

us Offline detron

Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 02:06:14 AM
All DSLRs have a point and shoot mode. If not a green mode, then a program mode that will do the job nicely. Even the super expensive Pro models have a program mode. They won't usually have that green mode.

Those scenic modes are almost a waste. I never use them...but I guess they could help a beginner out...but I can assure you, once you know your camera and how it operates, you won't be using those modes. So long as it has Program, Manual, Shutter priority, Aperture priority, and bulb, you should be set for anything.

As for the touchscreen...that is always a bad idea on a camera. At least Canon gives you knobs and buttons also. Whenever I hear touchscreen, I am thinking finger prints...and on an LCD that you will use to review your photos...not a good thing I think. That the LCD is a pivot model is a big boon for macro work or over crowd picture taking.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-700d-rebel-t5i

Here is a good review of that camera.  :tu:

that very review is on my bookmarks bar , I found it a few weeks ago, and read it many times.   :tu:

I know there are pros and cons for the touchscreen, but it is not required to operate, so I do not mind it being there, if I never touch it, I am not hurt by it being there.

I do like that it can pivot around and close against the body so it is not exposed. 

I am sure after I get it, I will love THIS and hate THAT, but I guess I have to start somewhere, and my budget is about $900  TOTAL (tripod, and extras)
this seems to be the best fit for me in this range.

I do appreciate any and all guidance,  I wish there was a way to include HOW i say something here (mood)  when I read the above it sounds like I am being rude, but I am not.

I am very glad you gave me the heads up on the 70-300 vs 75-300,  I had no idea about that one.

us Offline detron

Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 02:10:40 AM
I didn't notice the third party charger.  I would strongly recommend staying away from third party charges and batteries for it.  Spend the few extra bucks and get OEM.

Dan is right about the filters.  You really don't need filters with a DSLR, but I use Hoya UV filters (since I had them) to help protect my lenses.  I also like to shoot waterfalls, so I use an ND filter for that.

I appreciate the heads up.  I plan to buy this stuff separately, basically this shows the body and 2 main lenses I want.
the up close lenses are not that much, and I want to pick out the tripod I want, and the bag, etc.  the KITS are just a starting point for me.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 02:12:17 AM
Oh that camera is very nice detron. I am sure you will love all its features when you get it.

have you thought about getting a cheaper used DSLR camera?

us Offline detron

Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 02:17:26 AM
my final question for you two (right now anyway)

I do plan to buy an official boxed camera, so I do not get rooked on the battery and charger (thanks for pointing that out)

Canon offers this kit

Canon EOS Rebel T5i 18-55 STM + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens  http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250mm-4-0-5-6-Telephoto-Digital/dp/B0011NVMO8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405815265&sr=1-1&keywords=F-S+55-250mm+f%2F4-5.6+IS+STM+Lens

what are your thoughts on the 55-250mm lens compared to a 75-300mm lens?

here is the lens itself, I read through the amazon reviews, but they may be 30 canon employees for all I know

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 02:20:56 AM
That lens is better than the 75-300mm. The 70-300mm series are all dreadful. I might even be able to successfully argue that the 70-300 is one of Canon's worst lenses.

IS means image stabilized, which means you can hand hold in lower light without the use of a tripod. That IS feature is always nice.

us Offline detron

Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 02:23:22 AM
thank you very much,  I have learned a lot more, and now my camera desire is approaching the carnal level  :rofl:

I am excited, and sad that I have to wait so long.  oh well. 

I appreciate all the help

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 02:36:50 AM
IS really does help in low light shooting.  My camera body has it built in (I can turn it off), and it helps more than you think it would.

I don't think you'd miss the 50mm on the long end, but you'd probably like the extra 20mm on the short.  I'd follow Dans advice on the lenses, he knows what he's talking about.  ;)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 03:14:18 AM
Yes, my Pentax system has built in stabilization in the body. This means any lens I put on it benefits. Unfortunately, Canon does not do this. On the flip side, stabilized lenses do tend to do the job better then built in body systems...unless some manufactures have tweaked this in their newest systems. Everything with photography is about compromise.

us Offline detron

Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 03:56:56 AM

these is with my cell phone,  (DSLR CANNOT GET HERE FAST ENOUGH)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 04:04:18 AM
Cool pics everyone!
He is one I took a couple of weeks ago when I was out in the brush.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24