Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Used, Loved, and Broken-in!

irona · 30 · 1890

us Offline irona

Used, Loved, and Broken-in!
on: October 11, 2016, 04:50:20 AM
IMO the coolest looking SAKs are those that bear the scars that they've earned from taking on their owners' daily tasks day after day. Post pics of your faded, scratched up alox SAKs! Cellidor also qualifies!  :D

us Offline irona

Re: Used, Loved, and Broken-in!
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:53:22 AM
I'll start this with one that's been with me for at least a year by now.

(Sorry for the crappy pic, running low on time tonight)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 02:18:53 PM
Good idea for a thread  :tu:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 04:07:00 PM
For the past year, from last November 3 or so, Just after our move to Texas, this tinker has been in my pocket as a constant companion. It came to me under strange circumstances, so it's been a little special. The classic in the keyring sheath is with me every tine I put my keys in my pocket.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 04:10:08 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 04:40:56 PM
It's over 35 years old and may not show its scars well in the photo, but it's been through thick and thin with me. Used it during a 20 military career. Bought it in Europe. It was my EDC, and was heavily used when I was operationally deployed. Now discontinued, it's a 5-layer Woodsman, an Explorer with a Wood Saw added, making it one of only several that have the magnifier, in-line Phillips and the Wood Saw. Been through some vintage Victorinox catalogs looking for it and apparently it came and went a couple times, or perhaps wasn't marketed everywhere globally. This one has the first version of the magnifier, scissors with screw and without the spring groove, cap lifter without the 90 degree stop, fluted corkscrew, no pinhole in the scalesno sewing eye in the awl, and only those two tools on the back layer (no hook). Blade tang proof marks have the "small v" Victorinox, and the lanyard ring is a spacer for the pen blade putting it next to the corkscrew. I added the mini eyeglass driver to the corkscrew (it didn't come with one).

Has many tiny scratches and pits in the scales, and some small gouges, but the pits and gouges have worn smooth over the years making them harder to see. The Spear point and pen blades both have some superficial scratches. There's a circular mark worn in the front scale from the snap base's rivet on the inside of the first first Zermatt pouch I had for it. The leather belt loop on its back ripped out over ten years ago. Got another Zermatt for it early this year.

John
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:17:34 PM by jalind »
John

us Offline irona

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 05:10:38 PM
Good idea for a thread  :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)
Gorgeous OC!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 06:49:14 PM
I polished all my scales and tools to a newlike state... -_-'

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 07:08:02 PM
My 1st ALOX from '83 and the one that sold me on 93mm's SAKs. Constant daily carry for over 25+ years and always close by thereafter. Often paired with my 1st SAK (a mid 70's Champion) and the only SAK that survived the '06 wildfire. It's cut, pulled staples/tacks/nails, hammered finishing nails, drilled holes, tightened countless screws. Was with me when I met my wife, while building our home and in my pocket when all my grandchildren were born. It was around when my health failed, my wife left and everything fell apart.  Can't remember the last time I oiled it, it was never babied and now, worn smooth by a tumultuous life, it remains strong, tight and snappy. Through thick and thin, high and low, it abides, and will continue it's journey with my family long after I'm gone.  :salute:

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 09:07:55 PM
Great thread idea!  My beloved Huntsman that I carried all those years thru high school, college, the military, marriage, etc....would have been perfect for this except that I sent it back to Vic for a refit and new scales, so it doesn't carry the battle scars it used to.  The only knife I have that gets rode hard is my trusty Tinker.  It's a great knife that I'm not too worried about putting to work!
DSCN1561.JPG
* DSCN1561.JPG (Filesize: 251 KB)
Barry

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:09:29 PM
My 1st ALOX from '83 and the one that sold me on 93mm's SAKs. Constant daily carry for over 25+ years and always close by thereafter. Often paired with my 1st SAK (a mid 70's Champion) and the only SAK that survived the '06 wildfire. It's cut, pulled staples/tacks/nails, hammered finishing nails, drilled holes, tightened countless screws. Was with me when I met my wife, while building our home and in my pocket when all my grandchildren were born. It was around when my health failed, my wife left and everything fell apart.  Can't remember the last time I oiled it, it was never babied and now, worn smooth by a tumultuous life, it remains strong, tight and snappy. Through thick and thin, high and low, it abides, and will continue it's journey with my family long after I'm gone.  :salute:

:cheers: :like: :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 09:19:33 PM
I'm with Steve  :like: !!!
Barry

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 09:21:26 PM

:cheers: :like: :cheers:

:imws:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline irona

Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 09:39:16 PM
Great thread idea!  My beloved Huntsman that I carried all those years thru high school, college, the military, marriage, etc....would have been perfect for this except that I sent it back to Vic for a refit and new scales, so it doesn't carry the battle scars it used to.  The only knife I have that gets rode hard is my trusty Tinker.  It's a great knife that I'm not too worried about putting to work!
Oh wow, call it coincidence - my trusty EDC companion for most of my entire childhood was my Huntsman!

As you can see, the many years of carry have worn most of the light scratches down smooth.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 10:06:43 PM
Sat on it for many hours, my minimalist/dress carry SAK:

The Classic that has spent most time on my keyring:

And the now worn-out alox minichamp that replaced that Classic

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 11:54:16 PM
Thanks guys!!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 03:01:41 AM
Great thread :tu:
My most used/worn SAK is my MechaRogue.  While nowhere near as worn as others here, it likely will be as I plan on carrying it as long as I'm able.  It's been my companion off and on over the past couple years, and has been my one SAK for 6 or 7 months now.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 04:42:23 AM
 :like: That's the way mine looked!  I still know that knife with my eyes shut (waaaay too many times finding my way in no light).   :cheers:
Oh wow, call it coincidence - my trusty EDC companion for most of my entire childhood was my Huntsman!
As you can see, the many years of carry have worn most of the light scratches down smooth.
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 04:53:53 AM
Great thread and some even better stories :like: :like: :like:

I love seeing all these used and worn but loved SAKs :tu:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 05:03:16 AM
I don't really count them as EDC but the Alox rambler and AAA flashlight on my keyring spend all day wearing each other out.

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 03:35:43 AM

I really have nothing to add to this thread, but this post brought a tear to my eye. It sounds like that knife has been a true friend. Treat it well and use it in good health  :salute:

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 04:54:43 AM
 8) Awesome pics , Fellers  :2tu:

Just a few , Oldie But Goodies ...........  8)

pic 1 & 2 = same knife....rode hard and put up wet.........with battery acid!  :o
pic 3 = pocket worn goodness
pic 4 = had a tiny run in with a angle grinder w/ flat disc on ...........  :whistle:
battery acid Red OC ALOX.jpg
* battery acid Red OC ALOX.jpg (Filesize: 81.68 KB)
DSCN7240.JPG
* DSCN7240.JPG (Filesize: 193.46 KB)
DSCN5861.JPG
* DSCN5861.JPG (Filesize: 198.16 KB)
DSCN6797.JPG
* DSCN6797.JPG (Filesize: 193.12 KB)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:56:56 AM by cali-SAK-attack »
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline irona

Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 05:53:41 AM

I really have nothing to add to this thread, but this post brought a tear to my eye. It sounds like that knife has been a true friend. Treat it well and use it in good health  :salute:
I had the same reaction but wasn't sure how to put it in words
I only hope to have a knife with history like that one day

us Offline irona

Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 05:55:06 AM

pic 1 & 2 = same knife....rode hard and put up wet.........with battery acid!  :o
pic 4 = had a tiny run in with a angle grinder w/ flat disc on ...........  :whistle:
Pic number 3 - was all that carry that from you?

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 06:39:16 AM

I had the same reaction but wasn't sure how to put it in words
I only hope to have a knife with history like that one day

Story touched me as well

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 06:41:56 AM

Pic number 3 - was all that carry that from you?

No , Just the last 10 years or so worth.  :D  :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 10:22:26 AM
I'm with Steve  :like: !!!
I'm with Steve and Barry!

The Dude abides.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline spydutch

Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 10:40:16 AM
Top one is my trusty Mini Champ which has been on my keyring for the better part of 2 years now. Modified some tools on it.  :D
Bottom one is the knife I got issued with during my mandatory service in the Dutch army.
The Pioneer looks worse in real live I must say. Hard to catch the Alox with my Android Phone camera.
The thing has gone through hell and back with me during my 14 mointh's army stint and as my only pocket knife for years after that.
Has fallen off of a M113 tank. cut things you shouldn't cut with it, pried things I'd better should have not.
In my civilian life it got lost in the car for a good 6 months until my son found it back.
Rinsed it under the tap, little oil and depite serious rub between the awl and blade, the knife works as good when I got it in 1989. No play whatsoever in any of the tools.
The knife is enjoying it's retirement now  :D

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #27 on: November 08, 2016, 03:07:58 PM
Getting there:

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 11:34:23 PM
 :multi: Diggin' that Pocket Wear Patina   :ahhh 8) :2tu:

us Offline irona

Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 12:28:11 AM
I'm so glad this thread got resurrected
Pocket wear patina'd SAKs are my fav
:tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00