Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Rambler Review

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Victorinox Rambler Review
on: July 13, 2014, 05:25:16 AM
The search for the best keychain multitool is over. Just go get a Rambler.

Okay, this might be a bit of hyperbole, since everyone has different needs, but the 58mm Rambler by Victorinox is a nearly perfect ratio of weight to function.

At just a hair over an ounce (30g), the Rambler is virtually unnoticed, until needed.

Those users familiar with the Classic SD will recognize most of the features on the Rambler.

Here's a picture of it with tools extended.

Like the Classic SD, the Rambler has a blade, nail file, scissors, toothpick and tweezers.

The blade, while small, comes very sharp out of the package. It's easy for new owners to underestimate its capability. Opening it, or any other tool requires no great effort, and retention in the open position is good, particularly for tasks of the scale you're likely to tackle with this.

While both this tool and the Classic SD have blades, the Rambler does it better, in my opinion, because the blade opens to face away from the lanyard ring. This makes it easier to use while attached to a keychain, in my opinion.

Here is a red-scaled Rambler next to a black scaled Classic SD for comparison.

The nail file works well, but is not terribly aggressive. The end of the nail file also has a small flathead driver. As with the blade, the driver is generally capable of more than most users would suspect.

The scissors of the 58mm Victorinox line are a marvel. While they do what you expect them to do, snipping threads, trimming hairs, clipping coupons, the surprise is when you try to cut denim, soft leather, or the frustrating 550 paracord. Then the tool shows its real capability. The small size will limit their usefulness in cutting heavier materials like corrugated cardboard, but few people could fault them for it.

The toothpick is a tool I use a lot, and is, in my opinion, a mandatory addition to a keychain-size tool.

The tweezers are well made, with precise tips. Both toothpick and tweezer are retained well in the scales of the tool.

That covers all the functions that it shares with the Classic SD.

It adds a combo tool, with wire stripper, cap lifter, and small philips driver. As a cap lifter, it isn't the greatest, but will do the job. As a small philips, it's fantastic. It will slot into small screws found in electronics, and will also work on larger philips screws, up to #2. In addition, the tip is slightly magnetized. This allows it to be used to pick up small screws or the like, which is another very useful feature when working with small electronics.

In addition to the functions of the tool, the 58mm tool line has been made since 1935. It has an incredible longevity. While you could potentially lose the toothpick and tweezer, there is little chance that they couldn't be replaced. In addition, there is significant 'aftermarket' capability. The scales of the Rambler are press fit, and should they be damaged, or just not suit your aesthetic desire, scales in virtually any color of the rainbow could be put on.

There are 58mm Victorinox knives with more tools, but I feel in every instance they start to trade too much in bulk for function.

All things considered, the Rambler hits the sweet spot between function and size.

Pros
Lightweight
Great drivers
Great scissors

Cons
Not the least expensive tool out there
Lanyard ring can get in the way of deploying the file
People you know will want to swipe it

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Re: Victorinox Rambler Review
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 06:02:53 AM
I like the Rambler alot and wish I didnt give mine away!  Gonna have to think about another one as I have a Classic now but just not the same and I dont care for it. 

Nice review!  :)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 03:22:32 PM
I must admit I share your sentiment in regards to the Rambler.

us Online powernoodle

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 04:12:17 PM
Just go get a Rambler.

I totally agree, in large part because much of the world is held together with small phillips screws which the Rambler handles perfectly.  But I do like the addition of the pen on the Manager . . .  .

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 04:28:35 PM
I share your sentiments, my Rambler goes everywhere with me. I have them with just about every possible colour scale and a few backups in Red.

Get a Rambler!

:cheers:
SAW

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 08:22:16 PM
My favorite is a slight variation of the rambler, the manager.  Just swaps the toothpick for the pen.  That for me is keychain perfection.  :D

Excellent review!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:26 PM
Very nice review Lynn  :2tu:

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 10:10:56 PM
Thanks for the nice review. I didn´t realise that the blade on the Rambler opens on the other side than the one on the Classic. That´s a great change, IMO. The blade that is on they way of keyrings etc always drove me nuts. The Rambler coulde be a real option.

Just bought some Rallys today ... I´m looking forward getting 'em  >:D
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 11:26:08 AM
There is also an Alox version, which is sweet! You loose the toothpick and tweezers but it is very thin. Pair that with a Leatherman Style PS and you get an elegant urban duo!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 11:40:24 AM
Yes, Alox Rambler is sweet!  :)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 03:29:54 AM
There is also an Alox version, which is sweet! You loose the toothpick and tweezers but it is very thin. Pair that with a Leatherman Style PS and you get an elegant urban duo!

With duplication of 50% of the tools. If you are doing that, the PS4 may be a better fit.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 06:07:32 PM
You do have a point, but the Vic and PS or so much better looking. Maybe a PS4 with the looks of a Style would be great. I think someone added a blade on the PS without loosing the driver.

us Offline getpower

• More money, younger women, and older whiskey
Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 08:08:37 AM
I don't post here or even frequent any forums much anymore. But every once in a while I like to check in and see whats going on, if anything new catches my eye, or if I have anything to add.

As far as what I carry on the daily, I like to have a dedicated blade, but sometimes I switch that out to a Skeletool CX, and go that way. Sometimes I have a blade, and a Juice S2 in the bottom of my pocket. Sometimes I have been known to carry a blade with no plier multitool on me, but I always have a lunchbox with something nearby.

This is turning into more of a ramble than I'd like. But the point is that I bought a Stayglow Rambler  a bunch of years ago. Couldn't even tell you exactly how long its been. Since that tool showed up, it has been the one thing that I never, ever change. If I am going to a wedding and carrying as light as humanly possible, that tool is with me. No matter whatever else I have on me, that tool is there. The reason for this? It has the possibility to do things that other similar tools can't do. I have a bottle opener (although truth be told, if you have a man card, anything can be a bottle opener), I have a phillips screwdriver (which as hard as you can try, sometimes you just cant replace that), I can't even get started on the scissors and the tweezers. I have gotten more slivers in my life than I care to, and I know there will be more that come from who knows what. For being compact and practical, yet having almost anything you need, short of being able to turn a nut or hold something tight, the Rambler has been the best purchase I've ever made.

I don't usually keep it on my key ring because its so small. It's also more useful by itself than with a heavy set of keys attached to it. However, I do get tired of pocket clutter every so often and try to carry it on the key ring once in a while. Then I actually need it and end up pulling it off again.

IMO, this is hands down the best tool I have ever bought! I payed a lot for it when I bought it because I wanted the special one that seemed difficult to find. My only gripe is that the costs of everything has come up so high recently. I hope I never lose it or I'll truly be lost until I get home and try to get something from my collection to replace it.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 10:08:24 AM

IMO, this is hands down the best tool I have ever bought! I payed a lot for it when I bought it because I wanted the special one that seemed difficult to find. My only gripe is that the costs of everything has come up so high recently. I hope I never lose it or I'll truly be lost until I get home and try to get something from my collection to replace it.
True that. I paid for my Rambler almost as much as a Manager would have cost.  :ahhh
I got it because I Wanted It. TM  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 12:18:22 PM

True that. I paid for my Rambler almost as much as a Manager would have cost.  :ahhh
I got it because I Wanted It. TM  :tu:

For some time now, I carry a Midnite Manager, a mod I did on a Rambler I got from Huntsman. I prefer having a pen and extra light instead of the tweezers and toothpick (these two I can improvise).

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 12:44:05 PM
To make the chaos complete, I think I prefer the Manager over either the Midnite Manager or the Rambler.  :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 12:52:48 PM
To make the chaos complete, I think I prefer the Manager over either the Midnite Manager or the Rambler.  :D

The Manager?! Norway!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 01:21:44 PM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 02:03:10 PM
:D

My white Rambler is a very faithful friend.  I've not carried it every day since I bought it, but it's my default choice for a 58mm SAK.  I have had it on my keys for the last couple of months and I'm very happy with it there.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%