Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Disney World SAK

Offline Migripper

Disney World SAK
on: July 14, 2014, 08:09:32 PM
I'm taking the family to Disney World in a month and am looking to get a SAK for the trip.  Something for cutting tags opening souviner packages minor stroller repair (hopefully that won't happen).  Any suggestions?  I don't know if the scissors are different on different models but I think that would be my most used tool so a good pair are a must. 

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Disney World SAK
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 08:15:29 PM
I think the scissors on any 58mm will likely do you for that level of work.

If you're flying, keep in mind your SAK will have to go into your checked luggage if it has a blade, and as far as I know, all of them but the jetsetters do.

I recommend the Rambler, if you want small, and the Climber if you want a larger tool. If you want a backside philips instead of a corkscrew, then a Super Tinker instead of a Climber.

You should be well served by the scissors on the small tool, but if you want more confidence, the larger scissors on the Climber/Super Tinker will absolutely meet your needs.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 08:16:56 PM
My go-to SAK would be the Climber, but I don't know about Disney's rules? Maybe go for a even less scary Rambler?

Best to take the universally recognized red scales, nothing black and scary ;)

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 08:29:14 PM
Ahw, man... I thought this thread was about Disney themed knives... *pout*
I want one with Cinderella or belle on it!!

I'm thinking too that the "friendly" red scale is the best thing and it should be something small.

-----------------------------
Using a future communicator stolen from the NCC-1701

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:31:13 PM
I would also like to recommend the Climber or Super Tinker as excellent SAK's.
Although as RT1969 mentioned there may be certain rules concerning knife carry at Disney World.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:37:52 PM

(set to the tune of 'Little Town', the opening song in Beauty and the Beast)
"Well it's no wonder that she carries SAKs now.
Her preps have got no parallel.
If you need scissors or saw,
She's the girl that you should call.
Even helps her tinker father, it's that Belle."

Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week! :D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 08:39:26 PM

(set to the tune of 'Little Town', the opening song in Beauty and the Beast)
"Well it's no wonder that she carries SAKs now.
Her preps have got no parallel.
If you need scissors or saw,
She's the girl that you should call.
Even helps her tinker father, it's that Belle."

Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week! :D

:2tu: :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 08:39:33 PM
they also search your bags as you enter the park each day,  I am not saying they have a "no knife" policy, but just a heads up.  I was just there 2 summers ago.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 08:42:57 PM
I mentioned it in my first post, but there is the bladeless 58mm Jetsetter series, if there's a fear of it beign confiscated. Still has the scissors.

Offline Migripper

Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 09:56:59 PM
I am not flying so no worry about that.  Also not concerned about what knives are "allowed" I have had my benchmades and spydercos there in the past, no problems. 
Thanks for the suggestions so far I will look them up.

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:42:59 PM
I would also consider an Explorer. It is thicker than a Climber but I think the inline Phillips wight come handy if the stroller needs some tinkering. Forget about  SAKs with back tool Phillips (Tinker series), they are no good.

If the scissors are your main concern, may I suggest  a Wenger Traveler or Evo14/S14? Wenger's scissors are much sturdier than Victoinox's. The problem with Wenger is that if you want an inline Phillips ans scissors you need to go to an S557 that is one layer thicker than a Climber (27.2mm vs 21.1mm). 

Have a great trip with the family!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 10:48:00 PM
I thought they checked you at Disney to make sure you didn't have anything sharp and pointy  ???
SAW

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 11:11:28 PM
So far I have good experiences with the can-opener Screwdriver for Philips heads.
I would have named a Compact but for the 'stroller repair' part. But the normal SDs work really well for their size!

One thing to consider: Every layer adds width and weight.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 11:14:03 PM
Or...there's the Style PS?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 11:26:28 PM

I'm thinking too that the "friendly" red scale is the best thing and it should be something small.

I also think that  :rofl:
The super tinker is a good option

Offline Migripper

Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 11:41:54 PM
I thought they checked you at Disney to make sure you didn't have anything sharp and pointy  ???

Nope they do a joke of a bag check but do not check your person.  I know of many who carry their gun to the parks as well. 

Offline Migripper

Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 11:47:20 PM
I would also consider an Explorer. It is thicker than a Climber but I think the inline Phillips wight come handy if the stroller needs some tinkering. Forget about  SAKs with back tool Phillips (Tinker series), they are no good.

If the scissors are your main concern, may I suggest  a Wenger Traveler or Evo14/S14? Wenger's scissors are much sturdier than Victoinox's. The problem with Wenger is that if you want an inline Phillips ans scissors you need to go to an S557 that is one layer thicker than a Climber (27.2mm vs 21.1mm). 

Thanks.  I looked at the explorer and it looks like it would have everything I would need.  Any idea what the multi-purpose hook is for?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 11:54:25 PM

Thanks.  I looked at the explorer and it looks like it would have everything I would need.  Any idea what the multi-purpose hook is for?

:rofl: Your opening a can of worms there!

I like the hook for carrying plastic grocery bags
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 12:14:15 AM
 I had my Swisschamp in EuroDisney.
A Mountaineer with plus scales is the minimalist SAK to do most tasks in my opinion. Think Climber with metal file and saw and hard point (nail cleaner, scraper, Philips small driver, sweetheart's name engraver).

Offline Rustolium

Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 01:45:31 AM
I took my Compact to both Universal and Disney just last month.  They looked through my wife's purse but didn't give me a second glance.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 04:17:22 AM
Midnite Manager: blade, scissors, file w/driver tip(small), bottle opener w/phillips(small), white LED, and pen. Petite but a potent tool set.

For heavier task like repairing a wonky stroller maybe a Compact or Deluxe Tinker. Depends on your specific needs.

Offline Migripper

Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 07:22:28 AM
What are people using the magnifying glass for on their SAKs?  It looks very cool but I can't think of a use other than finding a really small splinter.  I have excellent eyesight so I wouldn't need it to read anything but for those that don't it looks too small to read anything with anyway.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 10:46:51 AM
What are people using the magnifying glass for on their SAKs?  It looks very cool but I can't think of a use other than finding a really small splinter.  I have excellent eyesight so I wouldn't need it to read anything but for those that don't it looks too small to read anything with anyway.

It´s there to sit on the opposite side of the excellent in-line philips.  ;)
To get an excellent tool you have to "pay" by getting a less excellent.

That way victorinox maks sure you are never a 100% content and need more SAKs to cover all needs.
The old glass magnifier was more useful with more maginfication you could detail check the edge of your other vic's.

I would bring a super Tinker and some duct tape.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:07:27 AM by Mextreme »

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 10:53:48 AM
Forget about  SAKs with back tool Phillips (Tinker series), they are no good.

If the scissors are your main concern, may I suggest  a Wenger Traveler or Evo14/S14? Wenger's scissors are much sturdier than Victoinox's.

I agree that a Traveler is better than a Climber for cutting plastic and such. I also agree that in-line Philips is better than backside... but the Tinker series are FAAAR from being no good.

Perfect child-abducting kit  :P
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 11:06:57 AM

Perfect child-abducting kit  :P
[/quote]

You´re right, that might set off some alarms. Didn´t think of that

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 12:43:06 PM

Before I got the explorer I didn't thought the magnifying glass would be any good, but it's a really good quality! I always carry it to work and already used it, when I got a tiny print out and couldn't read it properly. Sometimes my glasses isn't enough :-/

-----------------------------
Using a future communicator stolen from the NCC-1701

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 01:41:33 PM

Unless things have changed, they only do a very cursory, quicky "search" of diaper bags, purses and backpacks by using a Micky Mouse back scratcher to probe the contents for about 2 seconds, and the "security guard" never sticks his hands into the purse or bag.  They briefly look only in the main compartment of the bag or purse.  But they don't look in the side or zippered compartments of your bags, and don't search pants pockets or jacket pockets.  There are no magnetometers, x-ray, etc.   So you can bring anything you want into the park as long as its in your pockets, or in a zippered compartment of your bag.  You don't want a knife clip showing.  I think they are balancing the appearance of public safety with a consumer-friendly park experience.  Plus, there are 10,000 people pouring through the gates at the same time, and it would be a mess if they did a thorough search of everyone.  Maybe they have tightened things down since I was there, but I doubt it.

us Offline colt 1911

Disney World SAK
Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 03:09:31 PM
they also search your bags as you enter the park each day,  I am not saying they have a "no knife" policy, but just a heads up.  I was just there 2 summers ago.

Yep I had a leatherman c33 clipped to my front pocket and they wouldn't let me in. It was either give them the knife and they would not return it or throw it away and the last option was to take it to the car. It went in the trash !!! Good thing they are cheap.

Sak's  rule !

I would go with a climber or super tinker.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:11:11 PM by colt 1911 »
CHEERS

gb Offline Philby

Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 03:37:48 PM
Climber! Get a climber, you won't be disappointed, widely available and relatively cheap.  :climber:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 04:54:41 PM

Yep I had a leatherman c33 clipped to my front pocket and they wouldn't let me in. It was either give them the knife and they would not return it or throw it away and the last option was to take it to the car. It went in the trash !!! Good thing they are cheap.

Sak's  rule !

I would go with a climber or super tinker.

You trashed a perfectly good knife,just to visit the house of the rat?! Talk about a Micky Mouse operation :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%