Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Door Locks.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Door Locks.
on: July 18, 2014, 03:10:09 PM
Two days ago, I was visiting a good friend when I spied a Yale house key on his kitchen table. Under the key were a few things for his rental unit. I commented to him that I have a similar key. On a lark, I pull my house key out and compare the two. My jaw dropped when I noticed it was the same exact key. His wife stated that the key opens their rental. I was aghast. They were identical! He tried his key at my home and it opened like butter.  :facepalm:

Now, I am thinking of re-locking all my doors with something so that he can't get in, not that he would...but I wouldn't take the chance. I do have a monitored alarm system..but still. On the flip side, I can get into his rental...weird.

While researching locks...I came across this lock picking video. I will be the first to tell you I know nothing of this...so I found this rather informational.

Lock Picking How-To with Cut Away Lock in Practice Stand

Hence my question to everyone here. Should I try and put biometric locks or something different and possibly harder to get into? I will be calling a locksmith to pick his/her brain and to see if I can change my front and back doors to something that uses the same key/pass code/whatever for convenience sake. I figure if I have to buy locks for the house, I should look into something a little more secure and convenient.

This whole thing has been a real :facepalm:.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Re: Door Locks.
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:43:12 PM
I recently saw this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpH_t0u5Ybg

There are some good advised givn by the locksmith.
Personally I don't think you would need an electronic or even biometric locking system. But a key with only one line of teeth is inherently unsafe. So look out for a syxstem with teeth in different orientations.
There are a lot of more sophisticated locks&keys on the market, so maybe get one of those?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:50:00 PM
Just called the locksmith. Biometrics are out from the good advice I got from her. I am going to their shop to see what they have in stock. She tells me they have a good system that might meet my needs and then some. Won't know till I see their wares so to speak.

Watching the video now...good stuff. Thanks.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 03:53:43 PM
Electronic locks only make sense if you have a large building with lots of people / locks. With the electronics you can manage access much easier and don't have to replace any cylinder if someone looses his key.
The systems with Key & Electronics (RFID in Key) is quite common here for companies but I have never seen anything like this for private homes.

For private homes I recommend Kaba (Kaba 20 or Kaba star) or similar, both are very save and difficult to pick. Of course you need a solid door to go with these locks.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%