Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A nice outdoor pair of binoculars.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
A nice outdoor pair of binoculars.
on: July 19, 2014, 11:53:23 AM
I am an amateur astronomer and I have a good set of optical organs. But I feel the need for a nice portable rugged set of binoculars around 250-450€.
Since I got rid of my heavy Celestron 15x70 my binoculars are:
1. Canon 18x50 IS AW.  A real diamond with image stabilisation. Portable but not for hiking/tourism/bicycling.
2. Bresser and Rocktrail 10x50. Budget Chinese binoculars for quick views. One in the car permanently.
3. Asahi Pentax 8x30. This is vintage. Lightweight and small but since it ia a porro, not that small. Coatings today are better. I keep it in Canon's case for wider fields.
4. A Soviet 8x30 monocular. Same period (late 70's - early 80's) and quality with the Pentax. It is my tourist/hiking/bicycling nature optic. I use it for astronomy also (looked the partial moon eclipse from Geneva for example as well as Paris from Eiffel tower).
I want something lightweight, binicular, modern, with better coatings and Adler index than the 8x30 (either magnification or aperture or both) that would be waterproof and strong.
Options are a roof phase coated 8x42 or Canon 10x30 IS. I'd like a >2000€ Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss but it is out of the question. What I found as reasonable choices are Nicon Monarch 5 or 7, Pentax DCF, some Vixens and Zeiss Terra ED (assembled in China but still a Zeiss).
What's your opinion? As I said think that it should fit in my overloaded EDC for tourism/birding and occasionally astronomy.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: A nice outdoor pair of binoculars.
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:00:32 PM
I've got an excellent pair of Luger 6 x18 binoculars and I'm very impressed with the quality of them but they may not be powerful enough for your needs???

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:38:15 PM
 :popcorn:  Following with interest.

I'm after a new pair as well. So much choice out there. One on my radar is Nikon's Monarch 7 8x30.
a.jpg
* a.jpg (Filesize: 96.71 KB)
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 05:46:38 PM
Monarchs with ED glass have great reputation. They have a slight better rate than the Zeiss Terra in Cornell reviews and a lower price. But I always wanted a Zeiss, even if assembled in China.
Does anyone birding here? I don't but I like to look at pigeons, seagulls, sparrows and shallows from my balcony. I get more interested day by day.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 01:34:13 PM
Got the Zeiss Terra ED today. I like them.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:10:15 PM
They're a good choice for the money - you won't be disappointed  :)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 07:50:52 PM
Got the Zeiss Terra ED today. I like them. (Image removed from quote.)

Wow!!!
Nice  :gimme: :gimme:
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 07:57:38 PM

Nice indeed!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 08:07:13 PM
I've read the canon IS bins are amazing.
If it wasn't for my sad addiction to all things shiny, I'd have a pair too.
Would love to have a go with the IS L versions - rumour has it they are simply unbelievable.

Congrats on those zeiss

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 08:19:27 PM
Yes, the IS is amazing. They say that the L glass of the 10x42 is comparable to Swaro, Zeiss and Leica and costs 1000€ less than the Alpha models. Anyway, I'm happy with Zeiss for general use and Canon for high power. Up from there there are my telescopes, the WO 66ED for terrestrial is great. Downwards I am going to buy a Pentax Papilio 6.5x21, for close up and opera use.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 09:09:26 PM
You know your optics, I'll give you that.
The papillons are supposedly amazing. I actually won a new pair off ebay years ago for peanuts - funnily enough they never arrived. Lol

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 10:01:04 PM
Nice score! I just stick to the lower end ones, but would love a good quality pair.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 11:48:24 PM
I always liked optics but had practically nothing until 2009, when I started stargazing. Since I started concurrently with the great financial depression and I have two kids, I wouldn't go for the highest quality of premium binoculars, telescopes and eyepieces. But, you know how things are. You see through another person's equipment and you are hooked. You read the forums (I am a moderator in Cloudy Nights but follow other forums too) and see the Classifieds, how can you resist? With this and that I filled my arsenal with the following (and others that I sold and aren't in the list).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilvhvkocpyhoxh1/My%20Astrogear%20kkokkolis.txt
But light pollution and lack of time (I roughly work almost double now to earn almost half the money of the previous decade) made me shift to binoculars. Giant mounted binoculars have the disadvantages of telescopes and I decided to get some good handheld pairs. I'm happy I did so and had my Terra with me in the bike ride I just enjoyed with my wife. I kept them in my EDC Victorinox sling bag. A 10x50 porro wouldn't fit. Those 30-42 roofs are really awesome. I might step up to a 32mm Conquest in the future, for even greater portability.
You said you have a pair of Leicas (at least). Now let me drool!
:drool:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:50:26 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 08:21:18 AM
They reproduce.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 04:51:59 PM
Nice  :tu:

And slighly newer than mine.  :rofl:
vintage 001.jpg
* vintage 001.jpg (Filesize: 245.94 KB)
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 07:26:30 PM
That's great! WWI? Maker? Model?

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 09:50:08 PM
Thanks, the glasses are still in a fine working condition - but for actual use it´s more of a monocular (for me). The distance between the centers is not variable as with todays binocs, and when your eyes have another distance .......  :think:

WWI, or short thereafter - if i had to guess. No idea regarding brand or maker or model, the only engravings are 1,2,3,4 ....6,7 .. on the length adjusting center mechanism, "8 Gläser" (8 lenses) on the left telescoping tube, and "patentirt" (patented) on the right.

And on the front of the center mechanism tube there is a cute tiny (around 10mm) compass build in.  :D

If it helps you (i just liked it for display, am no expert) i can take some more pics from different directions, or from details. You only have to say what has to be on the pics.  :salute:
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 11:01:24 PM
Yes please. Objectives and eyepieces for sure.
So it is German?
I wonder if it is a roof design or Galilean.
How did it come to your hands?

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 12:37:25 AM
I will take some pics.  :)

Not neccessary "german", but from the german language area, could also be from austria or switzerland.

As mentioned, i´m no expert. But it looks galilean to me.

I´m a movie prop collector. And i was on the hunt for the binocs used by Indiana Jones, but couldn`t find out the exact make, so i went for a nice looking binoc of "similar" appearance in good condition. Found this on ebay - and won.  :D

It´s a nice looking display piece.  :tu:
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 12:40:56 AM
8 stands for magnification and Glaser is the maker perhaps?
Otherwise we have 2 objective glasses, 4 for the eyepiece and 2 roof prisms? Just guessing.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 12:48:33 AM
I would have guessed the second, but it could also be your first thought.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 06:08:26 PM
Is there such a product as an indoor binocular ?  LOL.

I've used binos and spotting scopes for years.

These are my current users.

Zeiss Compact 8X20 binos.

Bushnell Elite 10X42 roof prism binos.

Bushnell Elite 15X45 spotting scope.

Stock photos.

* Zeiss Compact 8x20.jpg (Filesize: 4.06 KB)

* Bushnell Elite.jpg (Filesize: 4.42 KB)

* Bushnell Spotter.jpg (Filesize: 3.27 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 07:49:29 PM
Yes, the Pentax Papilio are also indoor binoculars. And the Minox Macroscope is also an indoor monocular. I used the Pentax in Madrid, inside the Prado, the Reina Sophia, the Palace etc, as well as in the Botanic gardens and the park.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 09:24:42 PM
They're not advertised as indoor binos.Their forte is the ability to focus at a much closer distance than other traditional binos.This enables entomologists,lepidopterists and wildlife biologists to view subjects more closely without getting so close as to disturb their subject .

I use my Zeiss compacts to view concerts and plays.Every pair of binos I've owned I have used indoors when needed.

I forgot to mention that I have a very old Argus poro-prism 20X telescope that my grandad used for target shooting in the 1940's-50's.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 09:51:27 PM
I considered compact roof Zeiss or Leica but after the Papilio I feel satisfied. They are sharp up to the edge although their apparent field of view is less than that of the Zeiss Terra. The Canons with more apparent field of view are also sharp to the edge (they have a field flattener). But the sweet spot of the Zeiss is incomparable.
In fact what I meant with the term "outdoor" was in contrast with astronomical. Astronomical binoculars can be used from an observatory or stationary on a tripod. They are sometimes very big, heavy, with high magnifications and restricted field of view. They don't need to be waterproof or water resistant and they are usually of a porro design.
Outdoor binoculars should be light, small, impact resistant (rubber armored) and waterproof, with a magnification of x6-x10 that enables tremor free images, able to focus close as well as far away, and with a form factor that enables them to be put in a backpack and hang from one's neck for a long time when hiking.
They shouldn't need colimation every now and then and never in the field. They should have very good reflection control (something the Papilio doesn't have) and a good exit pupil (4-5mm for a 45er like me). Usually they are of the roof design and 8-10x32-42. Your Elite are real outdoor binoculars whereas your Zeiss, as compacts are general use for outdoors and indoors (concerts, architectural details etc).

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 10:25:04 PM
Now I understand.

My Zeiss compacts are almost 30 years old and they still provide a clear image.

I had an incident with them about 20 years ago.I was in a canoe on a river with a friend when he tipped over the canoe.I had my Zeiss in a shoulder bag.When I found myself in the water my first thought was to save my Zeiss.So I dove down and saw my shoulder bag slowly floating to the bottom.I dove farther down and pushed my arm through the shoulder strap and swam to the surface.

When I arrived home I discovered the Zeiss had been permeated by water.I sent them to Zeiss with a letter about what had occurred.They repaired them and returned them to me free of charge.They weren't under warranty.That's excellent customer service.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 10:24:56 PM
Here are some pictures of the aforementioned glass.
DSCN1702-1.jpg
* DSCN1702-1.jpg (Filesize: 193.9 KB)
DSCN1703-1.jpg
* DSCN1703-1.jpg (Filesize: 153.18 KB)
DSCN1705-1.jpg
* DSCN1705-1.jpg (Filesize: 135.76 KB)
DSCN1707-1.jpg
* DSCN1707-1.jpg (Filesize: 124.5 KB)

00 Offline jacktrades

Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:20 PM
I like my eschenbach adventure 10x25, pretty good for my needs.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 10:46:16 PM
And here are mine (the top three of my binoculars). I also EDC a Belomo triplet and have a good arsenal of telescopes, eyepieces, mounts and accessories.

00 Offline cool123

Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 08:58:32 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice indeed!

Wow, nice pairs of binoculars. I think that these seems to be perfect for any outdoor survival trips like camping, hiking, trekking or so. I am planning to get these for my outdoors as well.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%