Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Stainless Steel is Better to Choose?

dipti · 30 · 8412

us Offline dipti

Which Stainless Steel is Better to Choose?
on: July 21, 2014, 05:39:17 PM
6 months back I made a purchase of two dissimilar rescue knives from two different websites on the same date. The products were dissimilar with different quality of knives. With this post I want to share my real experience with the quality of knives because there has always been a debate on the quality of blades.

Here are the links of two knives which I have…

LINK REMOVED - boker magnum sporting knife

I use it for daily the activities as it provides multi-tool like great features. This is made up of 440 stainless steel.

LINK REMOVED - cold steel survival rescue knife

This is good enough as rescue knife with standard weight and blade length so ideal for tough situations. It is made up of Japanese Aus 8A Stainless Blade.

What I found was within these 6 months the Japanese blade tends to become less sharp than the 440 one. Since I have little less knowledge about types of stainless steel so I want to discuss out of these two which quality is better, at least it will give me an idea if my money was wasted or not and also I will keep that in mind for future. Specifically which quality of stainless is ideal for hunting or camping purpose??
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:13:31 PM by zoidberg »
My never ending love for tomahawks

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Which Stainless Steel is Better to Choose?
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 06:21:19 PM
There's more to blade steels than just how long they stay sharp. How easy are they to sharpen? How tough - are they more likely to bend or snap/chip if overused? More brittle in cold weather? How rust resistant? How impact resistant? How affordable?

For someone new to knives, I'd suggest sticking to the more "normal" blades steels such as 420HC or 440, as these will be fairly easy to maintain in normal daily use. Many people decide they prefer specific high grade steels later, but some (like me) prefer to stick to the simpler steels and find the higher grades more complex than they need to be. I want something that will bend rather than snap or chip, something fairly easy to maintain, and easy to sharpen.

There's no such thing as best ... only what's best for you. Keep it simple to start with. Worry more about developing your sharpening skills than trying to avoid sharpening  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:54:15 PM
Here's a little information to start with: http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=440A%2CAUS8&ni=510,874&hrn=1&gm=0

(The steel names have links to more info about the steels.)

(When people say 440, they invariably mean 440A. If it's 440C they will be eager to say so, as it's more expensive. That said, a knife in 440A will be tougher than a knife in 440C, so a better choice for a hard use knife.) I would expect AUS8 to have finer carbides, and therefore a finer best case edge, but frankly, a proper heat treat trumps the other variables here anyway. With proper heat treat both steels make fine knives and are very widely used.

tl;dr: 440A and AUS8 aren't the most dissimilar steels.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:27:39 AM
You can't compare those two knives due to the difference in thickness, edge grinds, types of use etc.

There is so much hype and misinformation regarding steel.

Country of origin is also of little importance.

It is best to try a few out, find what works for you and go from there.

I have plenty of cheap blades that out perform expensive ones.

I went through lots of branded blades before finding one that was worth what I paid.

Even similar blades within a brand using the same steel can be very different.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:32:48 AM
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the subject but I can tell you I really dig LM's 420HC for my uses. It's easy to keep sharp if you touch it up every now and then :tu:
SAW

us Offline dipti

Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 06:56:26 AM
Here's a little information to start with: http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=440A%2CAUS8&ni=510,874&hrn=1&gm=0

(The steel names have links to more info about the steels.)

(When people say 440, they invariably mean 440A. If it's 440C they will be eager to say so, as it's more expensive. That said, a knife in 440A will be tougher than a knife in 440C, so a better choice for a hard use knife.) I would expect AUS8 to have finer carbides, and therefore a finer best case edge, but frankly, a proper heat treat trumps the other variables here anyway. With proper heat treat both steels make fine knives and are very widely used.

tl;dr: 440A and AUS8 aren't the most dissimilar steels.

Hi Steinar

Thank you so much for sharing such useful information with me but then I think my knife blade lived shorter life  :D I need to fix it now (better for blade replacement)....

us Offline dipti

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:01:41 AM
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the subject but I can tell you I really dig LM's 420HC for my uses. It's easy to keep sharp if you touch it up every now and then :tu:

Hi Sawman

Although I have not used any quality knife made with 420HC but I have heard its a good one to own. For sure in my next collection I will get the one made with same quality... :)

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 08:08:57 PM

I like it too... *but*...

I had 3-4 chips on my Wave blade, I've got a chip out of my Crater blade and I noticed today the tip's come off. Just 1mm or so, but it's annoying.

Offline GunnerJ

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:04:24 PM
Hello, I'm new here but I just thought I would give my 2 cents. IMO stainless steel shouldn't be bothered with for a blade. A2 tool steel is much better. It is hardened all of the way through the blade, has edge retention only rivaled by spring steel, which is what I make most of my knives out of, and I have never had a problem with corrosion on an A2 blade when they are properly blued

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:45:15 PM
I'm not a pro but IMO there are to many things involved on a Knife performance, the steel is one of course, but even with the same steel two knives could have a very different performance becouse the thickness, the form, the use, the heat treatment, etc.

Here there is a useful link about the steel properties on blades: http://www2.knifecenter.com/info/knife-blade-materials

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 10:05:08 PM
Specifically which quality of stainless is ideal for hunting or camping purpose??

I think some of the previous replies might have already brought this subject home, even with the same steel and same use, if the blade grind/bevel angle/shape/thickness/hardness/heat treat is different, the outcome might be different.

For more modern 'super' steel, I do like CPM 3V on longer outdoor blade I use(5"+), which I do have the tendency to baton wood with it if I need to.  CPM 3V has very high impact resistance (twice as much as A2 and 3 times more than D2 on paper), and it also has some corrosion resistance although not at the level of stainless.

http://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodbyapp/tooldie/cpm3vt.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcovoTyGiRg

Other than that, my requirement for 3-4" blade, so as long the steel has good durability, not too difficult to sharpen, good corrosion resistance and can be used to scrap with ferro rod.  For example, Bushcraft survival is a Mora knife with coated carbon steel, and it really did serve me well.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 03:22:42 PM
For very extreme use, CPM 3V has too much carbides. (Look at what steel is used in an axe...) This makes the blade less tough. D2 has rather horrible impact resistance, and how it got its reputation as a tough steel is totally beyond me. A tribute to marketing departments, perhaps. For a hard use knife you basically need 0.6-0.8% C to make it properly hardenable and some extra elements to make the blade easier to process and you're pretty much good to go. 3V may look good, but if you look at a micrograph, you see the extreme amount of carbides in it. I can post some micrographs I have laying around if you want. What makes CPM 3V a very much better choice here than D2 is the "CPM" part, as a powder steel, you avoid large carbides in the material, thus increasing ductility.

Low carbon stainless will have practically no carbides, but it will have less than optimal edge retention and is tricky to harden correctly.

"Super steels" are very often metals designed for high speed applications (i.e. they retain strength at high temperatures) or extreme edge retention. As a tool steel, D2 is a primitive example of the latter, it can hold a blunt edge very well for a long time. There really aren't a lot of steels designed for knives, and those that are, are often not well suited if you what value is toughness and impact resistance over the ability to slice fine slivers of sushi. If you can baby the blade and want it to stay sharp "forever" ZDP-189 is excellent, but if you're going into the woods, it's a waste of time (and a lot of money). S30V is bound to be mentioned, but while I'm certain many fine knives are made from it, it is still a high-alloy, high-carbide steel.

That said, focus on what works for you. If price matters, buy a Mora. For the money, the classic Mora is probably the best knife in the world. If you can spare a little more, there are certainly better knives (however you define "better"), but they are still very good knives.

Some steels you can read up on that can be used to make good hard working knives (here I'm thinking batoning with a rock, prying with the weight of your body, and stuff like that): INFI (Busse... if you like them big, heavy, and you're not on a budget), A8-MOD (for instance http://xxxknives.blogspot.no/search/label/Survivalknife , yes, these are also expensive (on cause of the work put into them) and very strong), you could take a look at Chipper, or perhaps 5160 (a simple spring steel, thus pretty good toughness)... Common to all of these is the "low" amount of carbon to increase toughness, and none of them are stainless as such.

But frankly, there are so many variables here, to me, stuff like 12C27 (Mora, pretty much all Scandinavian and a lot of French factory knives) and DIN 1.4110 (Victorinox and many others) is good stuff as well, simply because I have many very good knives made from them. 12C27 is not that dissimilar from AUS8 and 440A.

For hunting and camping you need a steel which makes compromises. It's handy if it's stainless, it should be cheap enough that you don't end up babying it, it has to have the correct blade shape for the sort of game you need to dress, etc. All the while, you have the general rule of thumb that edge retention is the enemy of toughness. That's what people are talking about when they say it's hard to talk about "better" steels, all materials are a set of compromises. You just have to do your research, avoid the snake oil salesmen, and simply experiment a little and figure out what works for you. I don't know what will, but I'm pretty sure it won't be the fantastic end-all, be-all super-duper knife with the "perfect" geometry made from the "best" steel. It will be the knife which works well for your parameters: Economically, physically, ergonomically, hygienically, etc, etc.

Personally, I think a knife should make me smile as well, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:24:42 PM by Steinar »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 06:33:01 PM
Here is a micrograph of different steels which I hope illustrates what I'm trying to explain. The light areas are carbides, the dark steel. Do note the nice, homogeneous structure and small carbides of the powder steels. A8-mod is too low in chromium to be stainless, but this also avoids carbides. (INFI and A8-mod has about the same amounts of carbon and chromium.) I think this is a very striking illustration of why CPM 3V has superior impact resistance to D2, but at the same time it illustrates why the extreme use guys choose alloys much lower in chromium and carbon.

The carbides are hard and brittle, while the steel is tough and (in comparison) soft, and the carbides therefore lowers the strength of the steel, while adding to its wear resistance. The diameter of the carbides also obviously affects how a fine edge will behave and be shaped.
carbides_illustration.jpg
* carbides_illustration.jpg (Filesize: 442.78 KB)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 06:46:59 PM
Thanks for the very useful info Steinar. :tu:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 09:25:15 AM
Steinar, just read the reply.  Great info!  :D

us Offline dipti

Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 01:16:35 PM
Here is a micrograph of different steels which I hope illustrates what I'm trying to explain. The light areas are carbides, the dark steel. Do note the nice, homogeneous structure and small carbides of the powder steels. A8-mod is too low in chromium to be stainless, but this also avoids carbides. (INFI and A8-mod has about the same amounts of carbon and chromium.) I think this is a very striking illustration of why CPM 3V has superior impact resistance to D2, but at the same time it illustrates why the extreme use guys choose alloys much lower in chromium and carbon.

The carbides are hard and brittle, while the steel is tough and (in comparison) soft, and the carbides therefore lowers the strength of the steel, while adding to its wear resistance. The diameter of the carbides also obviously affects how a fine edge will behave and be shaped.

Hi Steinar

Thank you so much for contributing such a valuable post to my thread. This information is so much in detail that now I am curious to know more about the categories of steels with depth knowledge of compounds and mixtures.  :D

us Offline dipti

Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 01:26:39 PM
Specifically which quality of stainless is ideal for hunting or camping purpose??

I think some of the previous replies might have already brought this subject home, even with the same steel and same use, if the blade grind/bevel angle/shape/thickness/hardness/heat treat is different, the outcome might be different.

For more modern 'super' steel, I do like CPM 3V on longer outdoor blade I use(5"+), which I do have the tendency to baton wood with it if I need to.  CPM 3V has very high impact resistance (twice as much as A2 and 3 times more than D2 on paper), and it also has some corrosion resistance although not at the level of stainless.

http://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodbyapp/tooldie/cpm3vt.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcovoTyGiRg

Other than that, my requirement for 3-4" blade, so as long the steel has good durability, not too difficult to sharpen, good corrosion resistance and can be used to scrap with ferro rod.  For example, Bushcraft survival is a Mora knife with coated carbon steel, and it really did serve me well.

Hi Comis

But my steel quality for both the knives were different along with it I used both knives for different purposes ( I have mentioned it in my thread post). Talking about CPM 3V, if the forging is done correctly then forged high carbon steel has some advantages over CPM 3V in terms of sharpness and hardness but for sure CPM 3V has high advantage forged high carbon steel.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 03:35:50 PM
Hi Steinar

Thank you so much for contributing such a valuable post to my thread. This information is so much in detail that now I am curious to know more about the categories of steels with depth knowledge of compounds and mixtures.  :D

NP. :) A pretty good resource is http://zknives.com/knives/steels/index.shtml . Lots of stuff to read, and some of the site has been vetted by a metallurgist for accuracy.

ca Offline Tomahawk Rob

Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 06:04:55 PM
My AUS8 blades stay just as sharp as my 440C blades. There have been some complaints regarding the Secure-Ex sheath that comes with your SRK. Many people have noticed the blade getting noticeably duller each time they remove the knife.
Prepare for the worst and only the best will happen.

us Offline dipti

Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 01:54:59 PM
My AUS8 blades stay just as sharp as my 440C blades. There have been some complaints regarding the Secure-Ex sheath that comes with your SRK. Many people have noticed the blade getting noticeably duller each time they remove the knife.

Yes you are right and the same thing happened with me and my 440C blade was much better than Aus 8A.

00 Offline cool123

Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 06:52:15 AM
I don't have knives for my everyday carry. But I have heard that 440C stainless steel is the best steel for the knives which have a high average of Carbon in it. I am planning to have the knife of the same material quality.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 12:01:16 PM
440C has good rust resistance and will hold an edge a long time  when cutting soft materials. If you want impact resistance and toughness, a better choice would be something with less carbon.

The rule of thumb is more carbon leads to better edge holding, but decreased impact resistance. If you want to cut perfect pieces of sushi all day, buy a Japanese knife with more carbon than a lump of coal, but do take care it doesn't shatter if you drop it. ;)

Steels have different performance characteristics, there is no such thing as the "best" steel.

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 02:18:43 AM
Stain less steel should not stick to magnet but my multi-tool did stick, why?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 07:27:41 AM
There are several different types of stainless steel. Some are magnetic, some are not. The ones used for making multi tool blades (typically 400 series) are alloys developed to be heat treated for higher hardness and to be more corrosion resistant. These are known as martensitic stainless steel and are magnetic.

The handles, while still stainless steel, may not be the same grade of stainless as the blades and might be nominally non-magnetic.  The act of folding the stainless steel sheet can cause the steel to become magnetic.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 12:37:59 AM
Stain less steel should not stick to magnet but my multi-tool did stick, why?

The handles, while still stainless steel, may not be the same grade of stainless as the blades and might be nominally non-magnetic.  The act of folding the stainless steel sheet can cause the steel to become magnetic.

I might add that most 3xx series stainless steels will become somewhat magnetic if you do any mechanical work them. Bending is certainly done on multi-tool handles, but often also other operations like pressing, embossing, less-than-optimal machining and so on. (If you have a piece of unworked 3xx series stainless you can try yourself by just whacking it with a hammer for bit - this will make it ever so slightly magnetic).

The work hardening which causes the slight magnetism also increases local material hardness and brittleness. The later being the reason why you can usually break a thin metal wire for instance by bending it back and forth - it will become brittle from the work hardening.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 03:49:44 PM
AUS8 A and 440C are probably the best budget stainless steels.

Personally I get a better edge on AUS8, but that said different manufacturers, different grinds etc etc.

From how the steels are commonly used, I would think that 440C is generally the tougher  of the two steels, but I haven't used and of my knives with 440C....like the huge Cudeman bowie in my avatar.

Here's another good resource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials

us Offline cody6268

Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 02:58:41 AM
While 420HC is pretty good, I really prefer the 440 series, namely 440A and 440C. 420A, along with similar H1, is quite soft and sucks at holding an edge.   Seems as rust resistance goes up, edge retention goes down.   

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 01:40:36 PM
The only stainless steels I have EDC experience with is 8cr13mov and 420HC

Unfortunately I didn't carry the 420 blade long enough to dull it on cutting apples, but so far I do prefer the 8cr13 despite my comparison not being completely fair....

I firmly believe for all there entry level to midrange stainless steels the heat treat, blade design and grind are more important than steel type.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 02:47:36 PM
The only stainless steels I have EDC experience with is 8cr13mov and 420HC

Unfortunately I didn't carry the 420 blade long enough to dull it on cutting apples, but so far I do prefer the 8cr13 despite my comparison not being completely fair....

I firmly believe for all there entry level to midrange stainless steels the heat treat, blade design and grind are more important than steel type.

^^^ This!

You can't judge a knife by just one element of it. I've had several low end knives which have performed perfectly well. I'm no steel snob, and I'm quite old fashioned in many ways, and like a blade I can steel straight to regain sharpness without having to remove material.

I put a picture up of a Case knife recently showing the pocket/hand wear it had gained from all the use it has had. The blades don't show the same level of wear from sharpening, because a steel does the job most of the time, and so very little material has been removed.

Some people swear that steeling an edge damages it, and maybe it does on some blade steels, and ones that have been treated to a high hardness. I am not cutting stuff for 8 hours at a time like some people are, and I never have, so softer steels work well for me. Edge retention is less important for me than for others.

440, 420, 8CrMoV13, the Case steel, the Victorinox steel, all suffice for me. They hold an edge well enough, and I can get a working edge back quickly and easily. I could pick one SAK, one traditional folder, and one fixed blade knife from my line up and have them last the rest of my life, and still bequeath them to someone in working order. This is because I don't choose steels that need metal removal at every sharpening, and aren't as prone to chipping out.

However, I don't choose those steels because I don't need to. Some folks might.

Here's the Case Barlow discussed above. A 2007 knife bought new. The scales show a hard working life, but the blades don't. I haven't shied away from working this knife, but I can often get the edge back without abrasives.
IMG_20170819_143834_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20170819_143834_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 39.26 KB)
IMG_20170825_134357_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20170825_134357_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 46.15 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 04:53:58 PM
There is a reason behind the saying, "SAKs don't rust".  :salute:

What's the point of fancy steel when you have Victorinox steel?  :)
Sure, it's not high end, but it's tempered and polished so nicely that edge retention is good, ease of sharpening is excellent, and resistance to rust is excellent.
If you touch it up regularly, you don't need much more than a lick of the strop to keep a SAK razer sharp. :D
Plus you can use the straight side of a SAK blade as a mirror. :D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:55:23 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66