Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Tiny house" nation, who wants in?

Poll

Stay the same or down size?

Same
6 (60%)
Downsize
3 (30%)
Not sure
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

de Offline Lichtbote

Re: "Tiny house" nation, who wants in?
Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 01:43:52 PM
I've often thought that what I really need is a small warehouse 8-10,000sq ft would be perfect, with a small loft built into it.

Exactly my thinking - one corner for my machines, one for the cars, one to live in, and one for the random needs.  :tu:

Now we have 100-120m² + some basement rooms, my wifes mom lives on the upper floor with seperate 80² - enough room for us without having/wanting kids.  I could manage to go a little bit smaller, as long as i got more room around the house for my hobbies. And of course a smaller garden, i don´t like to do gardenwork, and there is way to much out there.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 02:41:58 PM
I have so many projects and no space to do them.  I need to do some fiberglass work on one of my boats, work on both my jeeps, plus still need space for shooting various things..... Flying r/c's and so on.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 02:48:30 PM
I live in a small house...but couldn't imagine living in anything bigger. My house is what is considered a story and a half. No basement, but I do have a nice large garage. With the two upstairs rooms, it totals to about 1200 ft2. without those two rooms upstairs, it would really be around 800 ft2. The floor layout does make a difference, and thankfully, this one is a nice one. Only one bathroom, but I can live with that.

The best thing, because I didn't go for something huge, I have paid off my mortgage a few years ago. Now its cheap living, and in no way house poor like quite a few of my friends...but they do have impressive places.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 05:57:27 PM
I have 900sq ft now,  plus a small garage and it is perfectly livable. I would prefer more.... sort of. I'm happy with my living space but I would prefer a much larger garage. I mean I'd like a larger living space too, but my priority would be a bigger garage/workshop.  I've often thought that what I really need is a small warehouse 8-10,000sq ft would be perfect, with a small loft built into it.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery
Yeah, a garage is always nice to have,, if that was the case my father-in-laws old place would have been nice, I could have cared less for the house but the garage, huh, it was a TEN car, with a loft, and the loft size was perfect, enough room for a bathroom, kitchen, and plenty of room left over for a large bed/living area, but he passed and his wife sold it. 
   Now my father, here's one for you grant! He has a 17,000sqft barn on 60acers of land, which would work in your case, 20 of meadow, 20 of woods, and 20 of just uneven terrain, all in which a jeeps good for, trust me ive done it! :D JR
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:48:46 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: August 03, 2014, 10:21:30 PM
Sounds like the perfect place for everything I like doing.... especially if it's lake front.  :D

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 11:13:30 PM
Sounds like the perfect place for everything I like doing.... especially if it's lake front.  :D

Def

Which one? One is up in NY in the middle of nowhere,(that does over look a lake kinda) and the other is on Philly. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 11:34:34 PM
My America dream: Big house, Big guns and Big paycheck.

No thanks.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 11:44:48 PM
This is what made me think seriously about the design of tiny houses and how larger houses could be better thought out

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #38 on: August 04, 2014, 02:18:09 AM
In an earth quake, that could give Indian Jones a run for his money.

Lots of neat concepts in that video though. Thanks for sharing.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 06:18:14 PM
I've often thought that what I really need is a small warehouse 8-10,000sq ft would be perfect, with a small loft built into it.

Exactly my thinking - one corner for my machines, one for the cars, one to live in, and one for the random needs.  :tu:

Now we have 100-120m² + some basement rooms, my wifes mom lives on the upper floor with seperate 80² - enough room for us without having/wanting kids.  I could manage to go a little bit smaller, as long as i got more room around the house for my hobbies. And of course a smaller garden, i don´t like to do gardenwork, and there is way to much out there.

I'm not a big fan of yardwork myself. I don't mind mowing the lawn but I would swap out all the mulch and plants and just put stones down in the flower beds.  :tu:.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 06:56:09 PM
Same space but better organized.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #41 on: August 29, 2014, 05:09:32 AM
I'm not a big fan of yardwork myself. I don't mind mowing the lawn but I would swap out all the mulch and plants and just put stones down in the flower beds.  :tu:.

Sounds like a great plan, but I'd add fruits and vegitables to. My plan for if I win the lottery involves a workshop about the size of the house for the cooler months, and at least a half acre each of garden and orchard.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?

hr Offline styx

Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 05:00:46 PM
Realistically  I don't need or even want a huge living space. On the other hand a shop/garage does have to be decently big for my needs.
Still I'd sell my mother for a house outside of the city and preferably with neighbors so close it's a 15 minute hike to get to 'em
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Offline flipe8

Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 06:40:02 PM
We've talked about downsizing in the not too distant future, but as others have stated, I'd be happy with a better use of my current space at the moment. I've got way too much outdoor gear to cramp into somewhere much smaller yet.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 08:16:06 PM
Well I am changing where I live due to circumstances that I have 50% control over so I am going to downsize for now.

In the new year I'm moving into a flat (apartment for those on the western side of the pond). It won't be a long term arrangement as I have been looking at a 70ft trad narrow boat that comes with it's own mooring. The mooring has a reasonably large garden, a garage with a workshop, a green house and a vegetable plot.

As I was told many years ago "Dry your eyes princess and man the smurf up!"

I see this as positive move in many ways
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 09:17:59 PM
Well I am changing where I live due to circumstances that I have 50% control over so I am going to downsize for now.

In the new year I'm moving into a flat (apartment for those on the western side of the pond). It won't be a long term arrangement as I have been looking at a 70ft trad narrow boat that comes with it's own mooring. The mooring has a reasonably large garden, a garage with a workshop, a green house and a vegetable plot.

As I was told many years ago "Dry your eyes princess and man the smurf up!"

I see this as positive move in many ways

If you need anyone to talk to about that dingy Mark, you know where to find me  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 09:24:29 PM
If you need anyone to talk to about that dingy Mark, you know where to find me  ;)

Cheers Al, I will, still negotiating at the moment  :salute:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 09:27:30 PM
Best of luck Smashie!  If you do get the boat though, you'll need to change your user name to 70ft-trad!  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 09:30:00 PM

Well I'm looking for a buyer for mine too ....   :P

Best of luck Smashie!  If you do get the boat though, you'll need to change your user name to 70ft-trad!  :D

Or ... he could buy mine, change his name to 50ft-trad, and I'll change mine to something else  :D  That'd confuse people >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 09:35:47 PM

Well I'm looking for a buyer for mine too ....   :P

Or ... he could buy mine, change his name to 50ft-trad, and I'll change mine to something else  :D  That'd confuse people >:D

70ft-Smashie (that's what she said)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #51 on: November 06, 2014, 04:09:38 AM
I'm planning to 'up-size'. Already made a down payment on this.   :whistle:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #52 on: November 06, 2014, 04:16:55 AM
Oh goodie. Can I come over for dinner?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #53 on: November 06, 2014, 04:19:17 AM
Oh goodie. Can I come over for dinner?

Of course! Its casual. We keep the ketchup bottles on the table, just like WRH did.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #54 on: November 07, 2014, 06:37:45 PM
I think I mentioned this youtube channel earlier, but thought I'd share a specific video from the Kirsten Dirksen channel.

Here's 'We the Tiny House people', a documentary compiling a number of interviews from the channel with people living in small spaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDcVrVA4bSQ&list=PLMRx8kgwkvhKUiW-UraPBN2rlmkyH1_fC

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #55 on: November 11, 2014, 09:58:31 AM
I love George Clarke's Amazing Spaces. I love the innovation, space-saving ideas and glimpses of a simpler life. It also makes for a good drinking game - skull every time he says "Amaaazin'!" - double skull for "Absolutely amazin!'".

I have recently watched a few videos on tiny houses and thought "I can't live in a space that small", but I actually already do. I only use a few square metres of my flat.

An argument against them seems to be "But it won't fit all my stuff".
But do we really need all that stuff? I know I have lots of stuff that I neither want or need and is just cluttering up my house and cluttering up my mind. :-/

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #56 on: November 11, 2014, 04:34:49 PM
When I left college, everything I owned fit in the back of a Chevy Chevette. Last time we moved, if we'd done it in a single trip, it would have required a 20 foot truck (about half of which would have been my stuff). So, I absolutely do feel I have too much stuff.

I've gone backpacking, and there are times when you realize you have everything you reasonably need on your back. Although, that's for fairly short durations. I suspect my 'fit everything in a Chevette' level was pretty close to dead minimum. For instance, at the time I didn't own a bicycle.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #57 on: November 11, 2014, 09:13:03 PM
I've gone backpacking, and there are times when you realize you have everything you reasonably need on your back. Although, that's for fairly short durations.
That's one of the things I love about hiking - being self-contained.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%