Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Zippo Owners Club

Pacu · 240 · 32183

nl Offline anditsgone

Re: The Zippo Owners Club
Reply #60 on: March 08, 2016, 12:46:20 PM
Here is my first zippo: (and today's arrival btw)

(Image removed from quote.)

Do you plan on carrying that beauty or just for collecting purposes?

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:54 PM

I'll keep it in pristine condition, "new in box" -shame on me, right?-
My Spanish Bic would be extremely disappointed if i left it for a zippo btw  :facepalm: -which as a non-smoker is in my EDC for ages-

Bic_vs_Zippo.jpg
* Bic_vs_Zippo.jpg (Filesize: 82.12 KB)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:36:36 PM by m47mu74nt »

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #62 on: March 08, 2016, 06:30:55 PM

I'll keep it in pristine condition, "new in box" -shame on me, right?-
My Spanish Bic would be extremely disappointed if i left it for a zippo btw  :facepalm: -which as a non-smoker is in my EDC for ages-

Of course you should keep it in pristine condition. If you ever want to edc a zippo just buy a second hand beater for 5 euros. Most of them are as new because people have never used them.

Today i replaced the pin in my zippo's hinge with a 0.3mm larger diameter brass nail that i cut to the right lenght.
Now the hinge is much less wobbly then it used to be. This is probably the last oversized pin that i can use before the hinge has to be replaced by zippo. That will be the second time the hinge will be replaced. The previous time was with the previous owner in 2001.

But that will probably will take antother year or two.

I don't know why the hinge was replaced in 2001. But the zippo was build in 1990 and has always been edc carried. concluding from that is that with a couple of hinge pin replacements and squeezing the brass higne with pliers the average hinge will last between the 10 and 20 years depending on if you play with it a lot.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 226.88 KB)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:41:10 PM by anditsgone »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: March 08, 2016, 07:40:56 PM
Neat job  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: March 14, 2016, 01:11:11 AM
Picked up some supplies for my possibly (fake) Zippo. 

IMG_0428 copy.jpg
* IMG_0428 copy.jpg (Filesize: 69.23 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: March 14, 2016, 07:40:33 PM
Got a sheath for it too.  I added a ranger band to "test" how long the fuel will last.  One thing for sure is the seal the ranger band created is great.  The vapor seems to stay within the lighter because when I go to spark it, poof the vapor ignites.  I think this is a good sign the ranger band is keeping the fuel from escaping via vapor  :think:.  Did I say that right?

IMG_0430 copy.jpg
* IMG_0430 copy.jpg (Filesize: 130.26 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #66 on: March 15, 2016, 01:08:17 AM
Got a sheath for it too.  I added a ranger band to "test" how long the fuel will last.  One thing for sure is the seal the ranger band created is great.  The vapor seems to stay within the lighter because when I go to spark it, poof the vapor ignites.  I think this is a good sign the ranger band is keeping the fuel from escaping via vapor  :think:.  Did I say that right?

Keep us posted on how long it lasts with and without the ranger band.

I found it didn't add a lot of life to my fuel, but maybe I didn't have a narrow enough piece of inner tube... :think:

00 Offline FeebleOldMan

Reply #67 on: March 15, 2016, 03:21:33 AM

What's telling you that it's possibly fake?

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #68 on: March 15, 2016, 04:13:23 AM
I tried the inner tube hack for a while...it did extend fuel storage for a while but wasn't convenient to use. I like butane inserts better and ended up converting about half of my lighters.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: March 15, 2016, 05:52:31 AM

I found it didn't add a lot of life to my fuel, but maybe I didn't have a narrow enough piece of inner tube... :think:

Will do.  I lit right up today. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: March 15, 2016, 06:06:31 AM

What's telling you that it's possibly fake?

I used the link I provided in my earlier post.  The insert is poorly done and the hinge looked off.  I also noticed the pattern on the wheel that strikes the flint is not what it supped to be.  Its really not a big deal actually.  The lighter real or not works great.  It also IMO is terrific looking.   
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #71 on: March 16, 2016, 12:49:51 AM
Just ordered one of these - Diamond Super Tank - There's videos on YouTube about how it works

hr Online styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #72 on: March 16, 2016, 08:18:56 AM

it also makes it rather waterproof
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #73 on: March 16, 2016, 12:07:46 PM

Isn't it difficult to use the lighter? It takes some time and effort, I'm guessing, to remove the ranger band before being able to lit it, right?

:think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #74 on: March 16, 2016, 02:12:54 PM

Isn't it difficult to use the lighter? It takes some time and effort, I'm guessing, to remove the ranger band before being able to lit it, right?

I found it much more cumbersome. Since I wasn't seeing much in fuel savings I dropped the ranger band and went with a butane insert.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #75 on: March 16, 2016, 02:57:06 PM

I don't take it off I just roll down the top and while its a bit slower than normal its not terrible.  I can see why however the inserts would make so much more sense.  I don't smoke but boy I'd be pissed if I went to light one and my Zippo was out. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #76 on: March 16, 2016, 07:10:02 PM
This thread has made start looking for Zippos. I got a few (very) cheap knock-offs at home. Tried some Zippo tricks I saw on YouTube but they don't work so well. Feel like getting a real one just for playing around...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: March 16, 2016, 07:33:04 PM
Not bad for a few bucks.  I think all in I spent  >$10 including lighter, 2 fuels, a new wick, and the leather Zippo sheath ( real one ).  I rarely eat take out so I figured why the heck not.     
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline engblom

Reply #78 on: March 16, 2016, 08:51:39 PM
I'm not a smoker and most days I would not need a lighter.

What do you guys think about a Zippo getting infrequently used?  Will it get dry?  When is a Zippo lighter better than a liquid gas lighter? Which one runs sooner out of fuel?

I'm asking because I have never owned a Zippo and I'm curious if it is something worth for me to have.

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #79 on: March 16, 2016, 09:21:32 PM
Engblom: In my experience; when you don´t use the lighter frequently and do not maintain it in some time the Zippo lighter will dry out and you don´t have a lighter when you need one.

I quitted smoking cigarettes on 18th August 2013 and I never touched such a coffin nail again. But I like to smoke pipe and cigars when the weather is fine and I can have a nice hour or two outside somewhere. I never used a Zippo ever since. I need a lighter ever few weeks during summer. I keep a disposable Bic lighter in EDC daypack. It works fine. Need no maintaining and will not dry out, like fuel lighters do.

But if it comes to style ... a Zippo is mighty fine and elegant. Still have one or two around anywhere in the house  :think:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #80 on: March 16, 2016, 09:29:58 PM

What do you guys think about a Zippo getting infrequently used?  Will it get dry?  When is a Zippo lighter better than a liquid gas lighter? Which one runs sooner out of fuel?

I'm asking because I have never owned a Zippo and I'm curious if it is something worth for me to have.

In all honesty get a bic or similar in your area.  If you rarely use a lighter then the reliability of a bic IMO wins hands down. 

Converting a Zippo as some have done is a great compromise between the nostalgia of a Zippo and reliability of a disposable ( Bic ).

For me getting the Zippo was about fun.  I do have disposable lighters scattered around for when I really need a light  :tu:   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline eldorf.dragonsbane

Reply #81 on: March 16, 2016, 10:29:51 PM

In all honesty get a bic or similar in your area.  If you rarely use a lighter then the reliability of a bic IMO wins hands down. 

Converting a Zippo as some have done is a great compromise between the nostalgia of a Zippo and reliability of a disposable ( Bic ).

For me getting the Zippo was about fun.  I do have disposable lighters scattered around for when I really need a light  :tu:   

The main problem I have with Butane lighters (Disposable and Refillable) is that they don't work well in cold weather. Since I like camping and hiking I love having a zippo as I can use it to no matter the weather to light a fire for warmth or to light the solid fuel tabs for cooking on my collapsible pocket stove (yes I do practice fire safety when camping and hiking and will never leave the fire unattended, or leave the site until the coals are extinguished). I also when camping or hiking will keep my zippo in a water proof container along with other items I do not want ruined if they get wet.

Now thats not to say I wont carry butane lighters, as I do have one or two disposables in my Bug out Bag and my camping/hiking gear, though these are primarily for backup use only.
~Doug T.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #82 on: March 16, 2016, 11:15:58 PM
The Zippo will require attention, meaning it will dry out.  You are very right in some instances the Zippos is a good alternative.  Hands free is great feature.  Having the material inside ( cotton? ) for tinder is another.

Sure is fun to play with thats for sure.  Go ahead a get one, I cannot believe they are too costly. 

Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #83 on: March 19, 2016, 02:28:54 AM
I've been experimenting with lanyards for my lighters...this is what I put together today
lossproof_lanyard01.jpg
* lossproof_lanyard01.jpg (Filesize: 84.81 KB)

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: March 20, 2016, 06:11:06 PM
After getting a Zippo, i couldn't prevent myself from getting an IMCO  :facepalm:

So here is a 1€ IMCO in fairly good shape (Flea market find of the day  :angel: ):

Only needed to put a Zippo Ferrocerium inside the mechanism and ....

stamp on the back : IMCO Streamline 6800 Made in Austria
IMCO-1.jpg
* IMCO-1.jpg (Filesize: 454.65 KB)
IMCO-2.jpg
* IMCO-2.jpg (Filesize: 443.81 KB)
IMCO-Zippo_Ferrocerium.jpg
* IMCO-Zippo_Ferrocerium.jpg (Filesize: 455.22 KB)
IMCO-Flame.jpg
* IMCO-Flame.jpg (Filesize: 516.22 KB)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:12:56 PM by m47mu74nt »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: March 20, 2016, 11:44:05 PM
Nice lighter. 

SO its been a week today since I filled my Zippo and it light right up no problem this morning.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow which will make 8 days. Not really sure the ranger bands are aiding or not  :think:.   
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #86 on: March 21, 2016, 01:23:49 AM
I'm running a Ronson Typhoon this weekend...doing some lanyard work. It is slightly smaller and slimmer than a standard Zippo. I have the Ranger band on it for grip.
ronson_typhoon1.jpg
* ronson_typhoon1.jpg (Filesize: 86.34 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #87 on: March 21, 2016, 08:56:13 PM
Figured out a new lanyard rig...using McMahon snaps (aka scissors snaps). It's very low profile, secure and easy to put on and take off.
lossproof_lanyard02.jpg
* lossproof_lanyard02.jpg (Filesize: 108.97 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #88 on: March 22, 2016, 03:33:37 PM
Lit right up tho the flame only lasted a moment.  It would have easily lit a candle or paper but I decided to refill at this point and will call it 8 days total. 

I guess not bad if you used your Zippo everyday and had a regular routine of filling. 

IMG_0480 copy.jpg
* IMG_0480 copy.jpg (Filesize: 165.78 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #89 on: March 24, 2016, 09:29:36 PM
Just got this one...Grey Dusk with Skulls and Crossbones. I think it is some sort of printing process...not engraved.
zipposkulls1.jpg
* zipposkulls1.jpg (Filesize: 31.6 KB)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:32:18 PM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24