Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose my first Gerber...

Poll

What should my first Gerber MT be?

MP400
10 (38.5%)
MP600
11 (42.3%)
Flik
2 (7.7%)
Other
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: August 16, 2014, 06:14:48 AM

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Help me choose my first Gerber...
on: August 04, 2014, 06:14:48 AM
Hi all,

I've been gradually tempted more and more lately to pick up a Gerber multitool.  There seems to be an increase in  Gerber popularity around here lately, which has gotten me more curious.  The three options I included in this poll are the ones I've narrowed my choice down to, but I'm open to any suggestions.  Also, I know there are some variations to the MP600, and maybe MP400 as well, so feel free to offer any of those.  I do want the flicky pliers though (one of the primary factors that has me curious), so any without that feature are not an option. 

This is part of a conversation I was having in JD's MP425 mod thread (with some editing/addition):  The Flik's pliers, blade and scissors being good would be primary sellers for me really.  The drivers aren't as big of a concern as I don't use them much at all, and I have drivers on my Rogueneer anyway, so I'd likely be covered overall.  I'm torn between the MP400 and 600, with the size/weight of the MP600 being a factor.  Still, I'd like the blunt nosed pliers so that the tip isn't sticking out like with the needlenose.  However, I have more use for needlenose pliers honestly.  The MP400 is likely more my style in terms of size/weight.  I do prefer my MTs to have a metal file/saw and wood saw though, which the Gerbers seem to lack.  Not that I use them much at all, especially a wood saw.  The Rogueneer has a metal file/saw on it anyway, so that helps.  I do like that the MP600 Pro Sport (I think?) has that Remgrit saw or whatever that is, and looks like other things could be used in that spot, but I know nothing about that.  I don't know if any of them have spring loaded pliers, but I don't believe the MP400/600 do.  It's not a major factor, but still one I would consider. 

Basically, there are winning/selling points for me on each one, so it's a tough decision.  I would like size/weight info and impressions if anyone has any for each model.  I've slightly researched this, but sometimes the numbers don't do justice to the actual feel of the tools. 

I appreciate any info/suggestions and will leave this poll open for 12 days to allow for plenty of input.  Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions :salute:
K-Tibbs

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Help me choose my first Gerber...
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:50:38 AM
I would say go with either the MP400 or MP600. I know... I know... a lot of help I am.  :D

They both have their merits and from reading through your post I can't say which one would be better for you since the features of both seem to even each other out. I would lean towards the MP400 as your first for a few reasons though. The MP400 is generally cheaper so if you end up not liking it (yea right) your not into it as much. I think the MP400 is a great size and packs a great tool layout for its respected size. One thing I hate is the newer style blade, but unless you buy used your going to get that blade on either the 400 or 600. You are correct in saying the one with the RemGrit saw is the Pro-Scout. I personally do not like the RemGrit saw one bit, but it can be replaced with other saw options. The only thing you are gaining from buying the 600 is Saw, File, and a larger tool in general as well as the option of Bluntnose if you go that route. One other thing to consider is the sheath. Do you plan on carrying it or are you just wanting it to fiddle with and use around the house? I find the standard Gerber sheath to be terrible and even more so when the 600 is in it. The 400 can be fitted into a Leatherman Blast Leather sheath with very minimal modification and it fits like a dream.

I would personally start with the 400 and go from their, but its a hard decision. The easy answer is to buy both the 400 and 600.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:53:51 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 08:30:14 AM
Recoil  >:D :D
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gb Offline Philby

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 09:46:09 AM
I started with the MP400, this led to my getting a BO blunt nosed MP600, and several older Multipliers.
Go with the MP400 :salute:
It's light, compact, good selection of tools and very tough!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:33 AM
I think the most sensible option would be the MP400...

But really, you -need- a Recoil  >:D >:D >:D >:D :pok: :pok: :pok:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gb Offline Philby

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 09:56:31 AM
Wait a minute! You don't have a Gerber Multiplier??? I thought it was an untold rule that you had to have at least one Mr Pinchy, to be a member of this forum!
Three Birds with one stone! http://www.ebay.com/itm/GERBER-MULTI-PLIER-MULTI-TOOL-3PCS-/371114230265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566821c1f9
Mr Pinchy, MP 400 and MP600 blunty. :pok: :pok: :pok:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 29.28 KB)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:11:02 AM
I'm going tO plumb for a Diesel here,just to be different. Think of it as a Galil,like an AK47,but built with care  >:D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:34:06 AM
Did I say Recoil, yet?  :think:

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 10:50:39 AM
get a 'Suspension'   :pok:
it'll make all your other Multitools look fantastic again   :D

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 01:22:29 PM
I'm partial to the Diesel simply because it provides what is pretty close to a complete tool set.  My view is that if you are going to carry an MT, you might as well have as many tool options as possible.  I also like to have a wood saw, for everything from PVC to removing saplings and branches.  Its the kind of thing that you figure out you "need" once you start using it.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 01:49:16 PM
Fliks are pretty nice.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 02:54:05 PM
I think you'd be quite happy with all of them, but maybe a bit happier with the Flik with its outside opening tools.  In all honesty, the drivers are pretty stubby on all of them, more so on the Flik though.

I'm sure you could manage a trade here too, that is if you could part with anything you have now! :D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 03:33:54 PM
Plenty of good suggestions here. You must be confused  :P

Just to help narrow it down a little, I'd say whatever you choose, ask how important a good Phillips is to you. The Diesel and Flick's Phillips are no good. The MP4xx and MP600 series has the best Phillips.

It's an easy choice for me... I carry a MP600.
SAW

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 03:53:07 PM
I think as a 'first' Gerber the MP400 is hard to beat.  If you like it at all though, do be prepared for it not to be your 'only' Gerber. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 03:54:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone :salute: 

@Cap:  I pocket carry, normally in my right rear pocket next to my wallet.  I don't care to sheath carry, and likely couldn't here in an office setting anyway.  This is part of the reason the MP600 may be too much for my way of carry.  Oh, and most of my MTs just end up as fiddle fodder anyway as I'm not a heavy user ;)

@bmot:  Is the Recoil retired?  I only saw one on eBay, and none on Amazon...I would probably stick to my original choices though anyway as they seem to be the most mentioned.  I haven't heard much about any other Gerbers, other than the Suspension not being very popular. 

So far it seems like the MP400 is the popular "starter" at least.  I'm sort of leaning that way as well, but please keep the suggestions coming as I really enjoy them.  The Flik still seems like one I'd enjoy with some additional fiddle factor, so it's still a tough choice.  And I know how I am about making decisions on these things :ahhh
K-Tibbs

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 04:01:38 PM
Is the Recoil retired?  I only saw one on eBay, and none on Amazon...I would probably stick to my original choices though anyway as they seem to be the most mentioned.  I haven't heard much about any other Gerbers, other than the Suspension not being very popular. 

You definitely do NOT want to carry a Recoil in your pocket without it being made slightly safer by being enclosed in a sheath. These things are a bit dangerous (that's probably the reason why Gerber stopped making them). They pop up on evilbay from time to time (often selling for quite reasonable prices), but IMO they are more suited to a collection than an EDC.  The initial novelty "fiddle factor" is quite high, but for longer term enjoyment the other sliding head gerbers are probably better.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 04:07:29 PM
Is the Recoil retired?  I only saw one on eBay, and none on Amazon...I would probably stick to my original choices though anyway as they seem to be the most mentioned.  I haven't heard much about any other Gerbers, other than the Suspension not being very popular. 

You definitely do NOT want to carry a Recoil in your pocket without it being made slightly safer by being enclosed in a sheath. These things are a bit dangerous (that's probably the reason why Gerber stopped making them). They pop up on evilbay from time to time (often selling for quite reasonable prices), but IMO they are more suited to a collection than an EDC.  The initial novelty "fiddle factor" is quite high, but for longer term enjoyment the other sliding head gerbers are probably better.

Oh really?  Well thanks for that warning :salute:  I saw one on eBay, and it doesn't look like it's got much in the way of tool loadout, unless not all the tools were deployed.  Either way, it's likely not an option anyway for me...sorry bmot :pok:
K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 05:22:09 PM
I voted MP400.  It's a decent sized tool, not too big or too small.  In terms of tool loadout it's pretty good in its basic form.  If you're already carrying a SAK with scissors and want the file, go with the 450.  Or do what I just did on my mod.....  :)  The 450 was my first Gerber, and we all know the rest of the story from there.  ;)  I think that the 400-series is the perfect introduction to the MP's.  After you play with it for a while, others will follow, have no fear.  >:D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 05:24:16 PM

Oh really?  Well thanks for that warning :salute:  I saw one on eBay, and it doesn't look like it's got much in the way of tool loadout, unless not all the tools were deployed.  Either way, it's likely not an option anyway for me...sorry bmot :pok:

Yeah, not the safest for front pocket carry, at least... :P

The raison d’être  behind the Recoil is one handed usage. To do this, Gerber saw fit to place springs into the handle that would allow the user to eject the pliers with a press of the button.  The button itself has a sliding lock so that you don’t have an accidental discharge in let’s say your pockets (those of dirty minds need not reply :D ). You would want this safety feature simply because the pliers are accelerated at a tremendous speed and force outwards and lock authoritatively ready for use. If the Recoil were to do this somewhere delicate and with some surprise, you might be in a compromising position. I speak with some authority on this matter, I did not write this out as soon as I received the Recoil because I wanted to EDC it. It did not come with a sheath, so I made the mistake of pocket carrying it. I might add, that the sliding lock, very simple to use and does secure the pliers nicely, can and will unlock in your pocket. I  um…had a rather painful accident. I just hope that my ability to have children has not been reduced.  Needless to say, the little Recoil discharged in my front pocket and I was immediately on my knees. My only saving grace, this happened in my back yard, and not somewhere in public.

But... FUN :D

Still, for a more serious answer, the I'd say the MP400. Great little tool :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 05:49:42 PM
Shameless shelf plug on the Recoil review: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51276.0.html :D 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 05:51:31 PM
Shameless shelf plug on the Recoil review: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51276.0.html :D
It was Gareth's review that encouraged me to buy a Recoil which I get a lot of enjoyment out of. It's just not what you're after though mainly due to its size and weight. It's fun for the fiddle-factor though!
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 06:29:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone :salute: 

@Cap:  I pocket carry, normally in my right rear pocket next to my wallet.  I don't care to sheath carry, and likely couldn't here in an office setting anyway.  This is part of the reason the MP600 may be too much for my way of carry.  Oh, and most of my MTs just end up as fiddle fodder anyway as I'm not a heavy user ;)

I would most definitely go with the MP400 then.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 06:54:47 PM
I voted MP600... but that was before reading the thread. I'd probably say MP400 now.

I keep thinking I haven't had many Gerbers, but I actually kind of have. MP400, MP600, Recoil, Mini Suspension (both P and S), Dime, and the Bear Grylls 'Strata'.

I got the MP400 and was in the get-try-get rid of stage, and it had to go, falling short of the Wave and Spirit X as a real contender. That's not saying it was a terrible tool. I was just strapped for funds. I got a beater MP600 on ebay, and for some stupid reason LOVE it. It's probably that I had to actually DO something to it to make it work. It has my effort in it.

The Recoil is interesting. And that's it. I would have been happy handling it for maybe 15 minutes. It is awkward, and weird, and potentially VERY dangerous (ask Chako), and the one I had was a mother-smurfer to get the plier head back into the tool. I do NOT recommend this tool.

The Bear Grylls Ultimate Tool Pack with it's version of the Strata is pretty darn good. Not Wave or Spirit good, but a very useful tool.

I'm STILL going to go to bat for the Clutch/Mini-Suspension P/Vice/Bear Grylls Compact Multi Tool. For the current $10 asking price at Lowes and Home Depot, it's a good tool for the price.

If you get the Dime, you'll wish you'd gotten the Leatherman Squirt PS4. So don't bother.

That's my opinion on those I've had. MP600... used... off of ebay. OR, if you want a serious contender for carry, an MP400 maybe.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 06:59:28 PM
MP400/450 ... just a matter of choosing between file or scissors ... or getting both and joining the knifeless mod crew  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 07:45:24 PM
Wow, yeah, Chako's story has ruled the Recoil out completely for me :o  It's looking more like the MP400 is the most recommended, although based on the voting, it's pretty close between that and the MP600.  Thanks to all who've commented so far :salute:
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 10:55:02 PM
Excuse the rubbish photo, we've run out of natural light for today.
If you're thinking about the MP600 this tool load is probably what I'd recommend, it's a bit of everything. All 3 flat drivers, Phillips, file and saw blade holder.

Either that or swap the blade for some scissors.

Whilst I don't have a Gerber with non-replaceable cutters, I wouldn't go out of my way to get them because IMO they're not that good.

Bear in mind that unlike Victorinox and Leatherman, Gerber only supply the file with 2 sides so you can't use it for notching and sawing.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 03:41:12 AM
Wow, the MP600 is leading right now with 8 votes versus the 6 votes for the MP400.  Figured I'd bump this thread as I may be making the decision sooner than expected if things work out to allow it to happen.  I just gotta convince the wife to let me treat myself to an early birthday present ;)  I still welcome any suggestions in the meantime as it's interesting to read what you all think :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 04:37:24 AM
I voted for the MP400/450

It's easier to carry than the 600
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 05:27:27 AM
I voted for the MP400/450

It's easier to carry than the 600

Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards the MP400 for that very reason.  I really like the looks of the MP600 as well, but I don't think I need the larger size, especially since I don't sheath carry. 
K-Tibbs

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 11:57:56 AM
I voted MP600 because I want one!  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00