Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose my first Gerber...

Poll

What should my first Gerber MT be?

MP400
10 (38.5%)
MP600
11 (42.3%)
Flik
2 (7.7%)
Other
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: August 16, 2014, 06:14:48 AM

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: Help me choose my first Gerber...
Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 07:42:29 PM
Hmmm, if you pocket carry how about an Octane? It has a pocket clip. It has the flicky pliers and an OHO blade. Plus it's cheap! It is a sneaky good tool with the only knocks being that the pliers self deploy (not a problem on new ones, as I believe they added a notch) and the weird shaped Philips.

The reason I don't like the 400 for pocket carry is no clip and no lanyard ring. If it had one or the other it would be a phenomenal pocket tool.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 09:01:50 PM
Hmmm, if you pocket carry how about an Octane? It has a pocket clip. It has the flicky pliers and an OHO blade. Plus it's cheap! It is a sneaky good tool with the only knocks being that the pliers self deploy (not a problem on new ones, as I believe they added a notch) and the weird shaped Philips.

The reason I don't like the 400 for pocket carry is no clip and no lanyard ring. If it had one or the other it would be a phenomenal pocket tool.
I'd forgotten all about the Octane. I used to own one years ago and it was a great tool. Light weight and good tool selection.
SAW

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 09:38:19 PM
I vote MP400. :tu:
Leatherman

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 09:56:41 PM

I'd forgotten all about the Octane. I used to own one years ago and it was a great tool. Light weight and good tool selection.

The Octane is my favorite tool. I carry it on my days off because it is light enough to forget that you are carrying it, but it still has great pliers, a big knife, and the necessary assortment of drivers. Plus, it's an amazingly well balanced tool and comfortable in the hand.

I am a big fan.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

gb Offline Philby

Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 10:26:16 PM
So it's looking like a case of having to get an MP400 and an MP600.  :tu:

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 04:15:48 PM
I did vote for mp400 as well. It´s an excellent tool. Small and compact and will start your cravings for more.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #36 on: August 11, 2014, 04:24:07 AM
I did vote for mp400 as well. It´s an excellent tool. Small and compact and will start your cravings for more.

That's what I'm afraid of >:D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 04:28:03 AM

The Octane is my favorite tool. I carry it on my days off because it is light enough to forget that you are carrying it, but it still has great pliers, a big knife, and the necessary assortment of drivers. Plus, it's an amazingly well balanced tool and comfortable in the hand.

I am a big fan.

I checked the Octane out briefly after reading this.  Interesting option, but seems lacking in loadout.  Although, the MP400 isn't all that robust either with the main difference being scissors or file.  Also, as I've said, my Rogueneer has many bases covered in itself, and the Octane would compliment it well.  The fact it has a OHO blade is a plus in its favor.  Is the plier flicky action enjoyable as well?  It's actually slightly more expensive than the MP400, but that isn't a big factor. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 04:57:03 AM
The Octane's flicky pliers are amazingly enjoyable. I think you will be able to find an Octane for cheaper. I got mine on sale for $24.99.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 05:33:18 AM
I will go for an mp400 compact sport in black oxide!

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 05:42:31 AM

Gabriel buddy, how the heck are ya?  I haven't seen you around here in quite a while.  It is looking like the MP400 is the best introduction to Gerber MTs for me. 
K-Tibbs

ph Offline Goatlord666

Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 05:51:11 AM
Howdy Kyle! Been busy putting my stuff in order with getting a new job and taking care of my little daughter. I missed MTO a lot and wanted to catch up on so many things I missed.

Its right about time that a Gerber is incorporated into your great loadout. If you're not bringing your mechaneer, the mp400 will work as a great primary plier. I woul usually suggest a Gerber balance but the balance is something that usually finds its way into your collection at a later point in time. The mp400 is very compact and has a great pair of needlenose pliers that can come out in a pinch...or a flick and you get scissors too!

Cheers,
Gabriel

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 05:52:26 AM

Gabriel buddy, how the heck are ya?  I haven't seen you around here in quite a while.  It is looking like the MP400 is the best introduction to Gerber MTs for me.

I would strongly agree.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 06:05:03 AM
Howdy Kyle! Been busy putting my stuff in order with getting a new job and taking care of my little daughter. I missed MTO a lot and wanted to catch up on so many things I missed.

Its right about time that a Gerber is incorporated into your great loadout. If you're not bringing your mechaneer, the mp400 will work as a great primary plier. I woul usually suggest a Gerber balance but the balance is something that usually finds its way into your collection at a later point in time. The mp400 is very compact and has a great pair of needlenose pliers that can come out in a pinch...or a flick and you get scissors too!

That's great, and I hope things are going well for you and your family my friend :tu:  That little baby girl must be growing like a weed.  Heck, mine's now just recently 17 months, and it's crazy.  She's definitely giving us a run for our money :ahhh 

Yeah, the poor Mechaneer doesn't get much love anymore, nor has any other of my SAKs since I got my Rogueneer.  The MP400 would compliment that well. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 06:05:53 AM

Yup, I think I'm about to order one right now :D
K-Tibbs

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 06:15:41 AM

Yup, I think I'm about to order one right now :D

:cheers::drink:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 07:05:18 AM
Ok, so I just ordered the MP400 (SS version) :D  Thanks to all for the suggestions :salute:  Soon I'll find out for myself if the flicky pliers are as fun as I think they'll be....
K-Tibbs

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 07:13:47 AM
Way to go!  :)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 07:22:15 AM
Ok, so I just ordered the MP400 (SS version) :D  Thanks to all for the suggestions :salute:  Soon I'll find out for myself if the flicky pliers are as fun as I think they'll be....

They might take a slight amount of practice to get the flicking down, but it sure is addicting. After I flick it open I like to turn the tool upside down and squeeze the two release tabs and let the tool fall back close.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 07:31:09 AM

They might take a slight amount of practice to get the flicking down, but it sure is addicting. After I flick it open I like to turn the tool upside down and squeeze the two release tabs and let the tool fall back close.

I'm sure it'll be fun practicing and fiddling around with it :D
K-Tibbs

ph Offline Goatlord666

Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 08:41:44 AM
Yes sir that is correct! But like all pliers in the mp line you'll have to flick em with authority to show them who's the boss

Cheers,
Gabriel

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 11:54:33 PM
Yes sir that is correct! But like all pliers in the mp line you'll have to flick em with authority to show them who's the boss

Oh I'll show them, lol!
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #52 on: September 05, 2014, 05:38:52 PM
So as an update:  I've been enjoying my MP400.  It has all the basics for carrying, and everything I ever normally use.  It only lacks the metal file/saw and wood saw, which I do prefer my MTs to have, but I rarely use them. 

As I feared (or hoped >:D) would happen, this has opened the Gerber door for me, and I am interested in getting another one.  I'm not sure if/when I can get one, but I may be able to soon if I play my cards right.  The actual winner of the poll was the MP600, and I'm interested in that one.  I would like to see any comparison pics anyone would have showing the MP400 and MP600 side by side so I can get a good idea of the size difference.  The MP600's size is the primary factor that may prevent me from getting it. 

Also, it doesn't really add much for tool loadout.  I don't really care to have a separate serrated blade as the combo one is a good utility type blade I've found through use on my MP400.  I wish there was a wood saw in its place.  I'm still torn about blunt nose as I prefer the fact that there is no tip sticking out when closed, but needlenose is really more useful to me.  I'm considering the Pro Scout version, but am unsure if/how I can get a wood saw in place of the Remgrit saw if I want to.  Another issue for me is that the MP600 really isn't much different from the 400, so it wouldn't be as "new" of an experience for me.  I kinda want something different, which leads me to the Flik again, or the Octane.

I'm still intrigued by the Flik, but there doesn't seem to be much love for it.  It has an ideal setup for me with the outside blades, although I wish there was a file instead of a serrated blade, but there is the wood saw on this one.  It seems like they just won't offer one with both the file and wood saw for some reason :think:  I take that back, it appears the Diesel does have both, but it's a big-un like the Flik.  I don't really want a heavy one unless it has a pocket clip, but none do. 

The Octane is nice and light and has a clip and OHO blade.  However, it seems rather lacking in tool loadout, and wouldn't be one I'd carry standalone, which I tend to have to do during the summer when kicking around the home in gym shorts.  Granted, that only applies like 3-4 months out of the year, so it really shouldn't be a deciding factor.  If paired with my Rogueneer, the Octane would be sufficient. 

So, once again I have my typical conundrum of trying to make a decision :ahhh  There hasn't been much feedback regarding the Flik, Octane or Diesel, so I would appreciate more of that if anyone has anything to offer.  Also, any comparison pics of these models with the MP400 would be greatly appreciated so that I can get a good idea of how they'd carry for me.  I only pocket carry, and typically in my back pocket next to my wallet.  I think that fact alone may possibly rule out the larger models, but I'm not sure. 

Thanks again for any input, and sorry for the typically long, analytical rambling post ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

Reply #53 on: September 05, 2014, 05:51:55 PM
I don't see much point in getting an MP600 when you already have a 400. Especially since you pocket carry.  :whistle:
SAW

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 05:58:09 PM
I don't see much point in getting an MP600 when you already have a 400. Especially since you pocket carry.  :whistle:

That's kind of what I'm afraid of.  The ones I'm most curious about getting are probably too big/heavy for my carry.  That's where side by side comparison pics with the MP400 would come in handy.  The larger models may still fit fine next to my wallet as my ReCharge does.  All of them seem to weigh in the 8.5-9.0 oz range, which is doable for me, but are pushing it for my tolerance without a pocket clip.  My Original Supertool weighs in at 8.8oz and isn't a problem riding next to my wallet, however, it's slim and sleek in comparison to these larger Gerbers. 
K-Tibbs

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: September 05, 2014, 07:34:35 PM
The Flik is definitely a MT that folks seem to either love or hate.  I'm a fan, but I get the fact others aren't. 

Can I ask what is the biggest MT that you currently carry?  Not everyone feels the same about that's to big for pocket gear so it'd be good to know what you are already prepared to carry.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #56 on: September 05, 2014, 08:13:24 PM
The Flik is definitely a MT that folks seem to either love or hate.  I'm a fan, but I get the fact others aren't. 

Can I ask what is the biggest MT that you currently carry?  Not everyone feels the same about that's to big for pocket gear so it'd be good to know what you are already prepared to carry.

That's how it seems, but I just don't think I've read much about it on here.  I read some Amazon reviews, and a common complaint is something to do with the pliers breaking, or some mechanism in the pliers.  I'm not familiar with it enough to know.  It is the one I seem most intrigued by though. 

As for your question:  The largest/heaviest I have are the Original Supertool and my ReCharge TTi.  The Supertool is 8.8oz, and not too bad to pocket carry next to my wallet due to the slim and sleek body.  The Charge is 9.1oz with the pocket clip, but the clip obviously negates that a bit.  I don't think I'd want to go much heavier at all, but it doesn't appear that the larger Gerbers I mentioned are any heavier.  They are larger though it appears, longer in particular.  That may not be a big deal overall though. 
K-Tibbs

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: September 06, 2014, 12:18:57 AM
Well, the Flik would be very close to the same size as your Charge and weighs in at 8 3/4oz.  No pocket clip though. :-\

I know that some folks have had issues with the pliers on the Flik, but Ive had no problems and I've used them pretty hard.  Worth remembering Gerber's lifetime guarantee as well.

The main body of a MP600 is actually very similar in size to your Supertool, but you then have to add the needle nose plier tips to that.  Personally I can't quite imagine pocket carrying it myself, but YMMV.  Without weighing all the different versions I can say that mine comes in at a little under 8oz, so weight shouldn't be a problem.

I really like the Octane now, far more than I like the Skeletool, but I do find the tool selection a bit limited.  It is at least designed to be pocket carried. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #58 on: September 06, 2014, 12:40:25 AM

I really like the Octane now, far more than I like the Skeletool, but I do find the tool selection a bit limited.  It is at least designed to be pocket carried. :D

This.  The Octane was the first Gerber I actually purchased (my MP450 was a trade).  I'd considered it and the Skeletool, and went with the LM at first.  Big mistake on my part, the Skele and I didn't get along from the start.  I took the plunge and bought the Octane, and I love it.  Paired up with a SAK for scissors and the like, and I'm set for lightweight carry.  I always pair a SAK and a multi anyway, so it's not a big deal to me.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline sawman

Reply #59 on: September 06, 2014, 12:46:13 AM

This.  The Octane was the first Gerber I actually purchased (my MP450 was a trade).  I'd considered it and the Skeletool, and went with the LM at first.  Big mistake on my part, the Skele and I didn't get along from the start.  I took the plunge and bought the Octane, and I love it.  Paired up with a SAK for scissors and the like, and I'm set for lightweight carry.  I always pair a SAK and a multi anyway, so it's not a big deal to me.  :tu:
I sold my Octane years ago and still miss it. It's a superb MT :tu:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69