Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK subscription?

tezam · 10 · 1365

Offline tezam

SAK subscription?
on: August 06, 2014, 02:32:54 PM
Hi...fairly new here, so a little nervous opening a whole new topic on my lonesome :)

I floated an idea on the Victorinox Facebook page and wondered if there was any interest. The idea is this: an annual SAK subscription. Like you pay an annual fee, and in return every 2-3 months (so 4-6x a year) they could send you a surprise limited edition 58mm.

There are similar subscription services for everything from notebooks, to Japanese candy, to socks...and I'd rather have a new SAK regularly than any of those!

(in case anyone's interested in socks, candy or notebooks...
https://www.sockfancy.com/
http://fieldnotesbrand.com/colors/
http://www.candyjapan.com/ )

us Offline Joe58

Re: SAK subscription?
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 02:36:48 PM
It's a good idea but I just don't know if there'd be a enough interest.

It seems most guys prefer to pick out their models they wish to collect it use on there own. Speaking mainly for myself of course.

I could be wrong though.
🇨🇭

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 03:04:24 PM
I agree. I prefer to pick out what I want to buy instead of having it chosen for me or being (un)pleasantly surprised.

It's a cool idea though. Somebody might be interested.
SAW

Offline RedRamage

Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 03:15:28 PM
Well, it would depend on the price, but I'd be interested in it. 

Granted, I do like to pick out my items usually but I would be kinda fun to be surprised by something new every few months.  Sometimes I've ended up being surprised by knife that I thought I wanted that ended up being just... meh.  And then sometimes I've gotten something as part of a lot on eBay or maybe it was just to finish a set for a collection and been really happy with what I thought I would only sorta like.

I guess it all comes down to price in the end.  It's we're talking $20 a month and getting a new 58mm every quarter... no thank you.  Too much money.  But if it's more like $50 or $60 a year and one new a quarter.  I'd probably be down for that.

Offline tezam

Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 05:01:51 PM
Yeah, it's a tricky niche. I imagine most people who buy Classic special editions fall into a few main categories:
1) hardcore collectors who want every model ever made and who like to choose their own stuff >> people in this here forum :)
2) non-SAK people who are like "oh that's cute, I'll get that" - but wouldn't necessarily get more than one or two ever - however a subscription could enable the slide into addiction ;) kids, teenagers, arty-designy folks I imagine would be more the target audience.

For me the draw is: ho hum another day...check mailbox...surprise SAK! Agree that ~$15 per SAK is the upper limit. Here in Aus the average retail Classic is ~$20 minimum, though I understand in the US you can get new ones for like $8. Owch.

us Offline asmitty

Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 05:13:01 PM
As long as the cost were reasonable, I'd do it.
Yes that's true, but I've been out to sea a long time.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 05:17:58 PM
I've thought about this from time to time. If there's enough interest I could see it being possible.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 06:06:55 PM
I would be interested depending on the price point. I think it's a excellent idea.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 01:36:10 AM
As long as the cost were reasonable, I'd do it.
+1

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 09:21:57 AM
I think its a nice idea.

For the dedicated collector you could supplement the club knives with the addtional ones you wanted.

Couple of issues from my end:
  • Although I like Classics and have a few - I don't collect them - And don't even see the point of collecting them - Sorry 58mm collectors  :( - And this attitude is a bit riduculous as I do collect 91, 85 mm etc - So what's the difference ??? !!
  • I really like the recent Vic 201x limted editions - the ones where the general public submitted designs  - most of them are really nice - But some of the older Vic 58mm designs are pretty crummy !!Again my opinion only !!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%