Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox keyring appreciation

Offline Anthony R

Victorinox keyring appreciation
on: March 28, 2024, 08:28:22 PM
It’s time to show some love for one of Victorinox’ most under appreciated tools, the mighty keyring!  :salute:
One of the most common things I see online SAK reviewers do these days is grind off their keyring since they don’t think they will use it or it creates a hotspot or whatever. At one point I, too, thought it was kind of lame that Victorinox counts the keyring as a tool on their website. However, since I now own and use multiple SAK’s in almost every size, I have found the keyring to be an unsung hero in my pocket that I would hate to lose! Some uses listed below by size…

58mm & 84mm - obviously useful to hang on your keys (duh)  :whistle:
All sizes up to 111mm - my favorite way to carry my Vic’s these days is via key smart pocket dangler so they not only remain upright in the pocket, but are tucked conveniently out of the way of other items inside. Their long slender shape makes them perfect for this kind of carry
111mm & 130mm - for the big boys the keyring makes it easy to attach a lanyard for secure purchase or attach something survival related like a ferro rod. Or, if you are sheath carrying, it’s a great way to grab the tip of the tool and pull it out, especially if the sheath is a little snug.

Obviously I love that my SAKs have keyrings. I wouldn’t dream of getting rid of them.  8) 

What unique uses have you found for the Victorinox keyring?

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox keyring appreciation
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 08:45:13 PM
   I have SAKs with the keyring and without.  I wouldn't dare carry a 58mm without a keyring.  I am terrible about losing things.  I carried a 58mm MiniChamp for 30 days in a challenge and recently several 58mm Classics in another challenge.  I knew I would have to tie them to something or lose them. 
   I usually just use an extra bootlace to tie the little Vics to a belt loop.  If I am in the woods, I generally carry a Victorinox 108mm which has a hole through it.  That gets the tether.  Can't afford to lose knives in the woods.  Lots of members tie these nice paracord dangling lanyards.  I never got into that, and never really saw very many of them before I joined up here. 
   I carried a black Tinker in the woods a few years back.  And promptly lost it.  I finally found it after looking all over creation.  The blades had begun to look mottled and the aluminum liners had corroded some.  It was hard to open any blades, but I oiled it and freed it up eventually.  That one had no tether because it didn't have a key ring, or the key ring nub.  Still doesn't.  Best wishes  G
 :cheers:

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 12:41:42 PM
I, too, am a big fan of the pocket dangler for 91mm SAKs, especially those with three or more layers. I have them on my Fieldmaster and Craftsman and have ordered one for my Compact.  :tu:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Online Bunk Tuppins

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 05:55:29 PM
I have mixed feelings about the key ring.  I use the key ring for an Alox Classic I have with my keys and I use a pocket suspension clip when I am going to be in situations where I might lose the knife.  However, the split ring attached to the hole in the knife tends to get in the way of the back tools - corkscrew lands on top of split ring, etc.  You can see the problem with the Spartan below.  Sometimes the split ring - especially if you have a suspension clip attached - gets in the way of using screwdriver etc. 

So from a function point of view ideally no key ring.  But that's how I lost an alox Bantam. 

* 003a.jpg (Filesize: 156.25 KB)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 06:12:56 PM by Bunk Tuppins »

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 07:55:00 PM
I like them on 74 and smaller. Larger, I like the old hollow rivet. Doesn't get in the way, and looks better imo.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 09:28:52 PM
I like them on 74 and smaller. Larger, I like the old hollow rivet. Doesn't get in the way, and looks better imo.

Exactly!  :iagree:
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

Offline Anthony R

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 10:05:39 PM
I have mixed feelings about the key ring.  I use the key ring for an Alox Classic I have with my keys and I use a pocket suspension clip when I am going to be in situations where I might lose the knife.  However, the split ring attached to the hole in the knife tends to get in the way of the back tools - corkscrew lands on top of split ring, etc.  You can see the problem with the Spartan below.  Sometimes the split ring - especially if you have a suspension clip attached - gets in the way of using screwdriver etc. 

So from a function point of view ideally no key ring.  But that's how I lost an alox Bantam.

I can concede that the suspension clips get in the way at times, I just prefer that carry method so much that I’m willing to accept it. For me there isn’t much worse than a horizontal 91/93mm lump in the bottom of your front pocket  :(

us Online Bunk Tuppins

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 10:37:31 PM
I can concede that the suspension clips get in the way at times, I just prefer that carry method so much that I’m willing to accept it. For me there isn’t much worse than a horizontal 91/93mm lump in the bottom of your front pocket  :(
I bought a bunch of suspension clips and had them on lots of knives for a while.  But I noticed that when I had a knife on a clip in my pocket I was looking around for another knife so that I wouldn't have to bother with the clip!  So I took off most of the clips and when I'm at home which is most of the time I don't use them.  I'm even thinking about removing some of the split rings... pendulum swings the other way!

* 009a.jpg (Filesize: 150.52 KB)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:44:19 PM by Bunk Tuppins »

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 09:04:34 PM
I  like them mostly for 58mm stuff for keychains like this Manager. BTW   I just bought a car a few days ago and used this Manager to fill out all the paper work and documents. The guy I bought the car from loved how well it writes and was surprised by how smooth it writes and how it doesn't feel bad in hand. 91mm plus scale pens are very awkward to write with even if it's put in the slot for the hook.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 09:16:23 PM by Swisster »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 03:59:17 AM
The best use of the key ring for me is food for the bench grinder :D

I understand why people like/need them, but I find them superfluous at best and on 93mm alox, an active detriment. 

* IMG_6643.jpg (Filesize: 70.54 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2024, 04:25:46 AM
This is how I carry the Compact. And all of my 93mm Alox stuff doesn’t have key rings because they are old cross Electrician and Soldier’s

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #11 on: March 31, 2024, 03:12:10 PM
If Victorinox would just change the alox key ring a bit so it was more like the celidor ones, and it didn't dig in the palm, that would be a serious improvement. I like and use the key ring. Those pocket danglers are a royal pain in the butt to clip and unclip. If you actually carry a knife down in your pocket, you do get used to it.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2024, 05:59:53 PM
If Victorinox would just change the alox key ring a bit so it was more like the celidor ones, and it didn't dig in the palm, that would be a serious improvement. I like and use the key ring. Those pocket danglers are a royal pain in the butt to clip and unclip. If you actually carry a knife down in your pocket, you do get used to it.

With the equal end pattern of the 93mm, it’s not possible. There is not any extra thickness of the back spring on one end to integrate a key ring. And they cannot angle the liner style key ring nub without interfering with the bottle opener or awl opening.  The 93 is what it is without a complete rethink of the tool.

The 84mm alox I don’t find as uncomfortable as it is angled a bit and the fat end of the knife helps it from protruding as much and digging into your palm.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 08:36:12 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2024, 07:53:54 PM
I think they should get rid of the 93 mm key ring and go with a hollow rivet and bail design.

Offline Manu

• New User
Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 09:02:04 PM
The Victorinox Swiss Army Knife 7, the Harvester, looks like the perfect EDC knife to me - but the missing of a keyring has kept me from buying it and i stick to my regular 91mm instead... I don't even use a pocket clip or dangler, i just want to have the possibility to use one or attach a lanyard... Call me crazy^^

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 01, 2024, 10:12:20 PM
The Victorinox Swiss Army Knife 7, the Harvester, looks like the perfect EDC knife to me - but the missing of a keyring has kept me from buying it and i stick to my regular 91mm instead... I don't even use a pocket clip or dangler, i just want to have the possibility to use one or attach a lanyard... Call me crazy^^
I have one, and it’s a great hiking/camping SAK.  The lack of a key ring makes it much more comfortable in hand than its relatives with key rings, IMO.

Get one.  I seriously doubt you’ll regret it.
:poke:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #16 on: April 01, 2024, 11:04:08 PM
I have some that I've removed and some I've kept. Some I use the danglers on and some I use a simple lanyard/pull on.
I think that in the long run it's what you intend for the knife.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #17 on: April 02, 2024, 11:25:50 PM
I use a KeySmart pocket clip as it has a much bigger hole, with a NiteIze Microlink 1" carabiner so I can just unclip the dangler if it's ever in the way. This happens a lot when I'm using the woodsaw, especially on my SwissChamp.

The keyring has a number of uses, which you'll see in videos by Felix Immler and NikGyver.
My favourite is lashing the SAK to a stave when using the woodsaw as a polesaw!

us Online Bunk Tuppins

Reply #18 on: April 03, 2024, 12:26:05 AM
I have one, and it’s a great hiking/camping SAK.  The lack of a key ring makes it much more comfortable in hand than its relatives with key rings, IMO.

Get one.  I seriously doubt you’ll regret it.
:poke:

I have a Swiss Army 7 too and like it.  But I probably would not take it camping without some sort of pouch for it because I'm very good at losing stuff...

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 03, 2024, 01:01:44 AM
I have a Swiss Army 7 too and like it.  But I probably would not take it camping without some sort of pouch for it because I'm very good at losing stuff...
Mine rides in my RF pocket next to my wallet without issue.

I’ve tried it in one of those Zermatt belt sheaths, which also worked fine.  It was fairly unobtrusive for a belt sheath, but I’m really more of a pocket carry guy than a belt sheath guy.  I’m also not sure how the sheath would hold up under regular sustained use; I didn’t have any problems during my brief experimentation with it, but it felt kind of cheap.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%