Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox SD knives

us Offline tgbrendaj

• Retired, but not tired
Victorinox SD knives
on: August 07, 2014, 11:35:52 PM
Hi,
I have several Victorinox SD knives in my collection without boxes. Victorinox used to supply black vinyl plastic SD knife sheaths to prevent pocket wear on the scales. Does anyone know where I can get a bulk lot of these sheaths?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Brenda

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Victorinox SD knives
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:16:32 AM
You're talking about the Victorinox Classics, right? The Classic SD is just a variation of it with the SD=ScrewDriver on the tip of the nail file.

and this kind of case, not the keyring one?

I can't find the product number just now, but will update in a few days if I do find it. Otherwise, try asking Felinevet if he can get some for you.

us Offline tgbrendaj

• Retired, but not tired
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:11:20 AM
That's the exact case I'm inquiring about :)

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 01:17:10 AM
If you collect Classic SDs then you have good taste in SAKs :salute:
SAW

us Offline tgbrendaj

• Retired, but not tired
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 02:28:27 AM
Thank you. Ever since I got my first Victorinox SAK in Switzerland, it was a love affair for life. I collect Victorinox, Wenger, and Leatherman. Gerber a little less. You just can't beat the quality and usefulness of these knives. That was one of the best countries I visited in Europe.

de Offline coSAK

• Mounted Swiss Army Knight
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:11:36 AM
It should be: 4.0363

But you can take a look by yourself in the Victorinox Catalog: http://www.victorinox.com/medias/sys_master/swissarmyknives/8805009391646/Catalogue_english.pdf
WANTED: Red Farmer, Red Harvester, Soldier/SI 1975, Genuine Horn scales, Wenger 19th Hole Cigar Cutter

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 08:54:16 AM
If you collect Classic SDs then you have good taste in SAKs :salute:

:tu: :tu: :tu:

Classic's rock!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 09:14:22 AM
To whet your appetite for Classics, check out Stressmaster's web site.

http://sakfan.blogspot.com

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 09:20:08 AM
Actually I bought a classic SD alox a few days ago and it arrived in such a case. It does the job in preventing the scales from scratches and wear, but I'm a bit disappointed with the sheath - for such a good looking knife, I thought they'd provide a better case, not this... nylonish, plastic-ish thing. I hoped for some leather or velvet or something. I guess I'm asking for too much :D

sg Offline red_rider_1979

Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 10:25:54 AM
I got my first SAK from a friend who went to Switzerland. It was a classic SD in the standard black and red sheath. I chucked it aside in my little box of memorable items for a few years before I took it out and realise that the sheath had split along the sides.

Then there was once I saw a plain grey (which I didn't have at that time) in a sheath in a small display case which looked like it's been neglected for years, judging by the layers of dust on the INSIDE of the display case. When I removed it from its sheath, the red pigment was stained on the scales. Sad...

These may be isolated cases though. You probably have better luck than me. My country does have a higher average temperature than most countries

us Offline tgbrendaj

• Retired, but not tired
Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 12:14:06 PM
It should be: 4.0363

But you can take a look by yourself in the Victorinox Catalog: http://www.victorinox.com/medias/sys_master/swissarmyknives/8805009391646/Catalogue_english.pdf
OMG...So much data, so little time.  :o LOL WOW !!!! And you'd think that Victorinox would share such a document in their On Line Catalog link that I've had so much frustration in using. I guess I was using a prehistoric link. Thanks for that valuable input. But now my problem is how to order stuff from that PDF? Pardon me for my newbe ignorance, but to whom do I direct my inquiries for an order and pricing? The Victorinox link I have, doesn't let me shop outside of their limited inventory.

us Offline tgbrendaj

• Retired, but not tired
Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 12:25:19 PM
....... I chucked it aside in my little box of memorable items for a few years before I took it out and realise that the sheath had split along the sides. ..... Then there was once I saw a plain grey (which I didn't have at that time) in a sheath in a small display case which looked like it's been neglected for years, judging by the layers of dust on the INSIDE of the display case. When I removed it from its sheath, the red pigment was stained on the scales. .......
OMG !!! You give me pause to worry and reconsider. I am a long term (if I'm fortunate to live that long) collector, albeit within the last few years, of SAK's. I hope this isn't the case which will happen to my collection scales. I live in the northern section of the United States. Is that area safe for these pleather sheaths?

us Offline tgbrendaj

• Retired, but not tired
Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 12:35:54 PM
..... but I'm a bit disappointed with the sheath - for such a good looking knife, I thought they'd provide a better case, not this... nylonish, plastic-ish thing. I hoped for some leather or velvet or something. I guess I'm asking for too much :D 
Alas, those years of such luxuries seem to to be behind us in these "Make a quick buck and spare the quality" types of thinking. That's why the older made stuff is so collectable. Sadly, the new plastic merchandise seems to rapidly deteriorate with only a few years of age. Planned obsolescence.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 08:11:20 PM
For what its worth, I store my Classics in plastic trays from the Container Store. Keeps them all together and easy to see. Add a chart listing what's in every space.

IMG_1878.JPG
* IMG_1878.JPG (Filesize: 90.91 KB)

us Offline tgbrendaj

• Retired, but not tired
Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 05:16:53 PM
For what its worth, I store my Classics in plastic trays from the Container Store. Keeps them all together and easy to see. Add a chart listing what's in every space.
That's a novel idea. Gets away from worrying about pleather dye staining knife scales and provides an "at a glance" review of your collection. But are the sections glued in so as to not come out in time. I had that problem with plastic tray containers that held various fastener hardware and brik-a-brack stuff. Some of the sections would come up and their contents mix together.
But still, that would be a very economical solution to my SWK SD and MiniChamp storage. Thanks for the suggestion.  :)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 11:45:30 PM
FYI, there are also these pouches, although I have no clue about product NR, price and availability

classic_pouch_01.jpg
* classic_pouch_01.jpg (Filesize: 54.34 KB)
classic_pouch_02.jpg
* classic_pouch_02.jpg (Filesize: 173.78 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 11:49:53 PM
I like that pouch. Now I want one for each of my Ramblers and Classics  :D
SAW

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 11:51:25 PM
The 24-compartment tray is one-piece (plus the lid). There are also a variety of trays with movable dividers that allow you to customize the tray for a variety of knives. I started out lining everything with felt; on the more recent Classics trays I don't bother as there's not much room to slide around. The Container Store carries a wide variety of trays; occasionally discount stores will have some in the fishing or hardware section. Other members use a variety of other systems, but the trays are a good way to start and are flexible.

Misc Wengers inc. Natures.jpg
* Misc Wengers inc. Natures.jpg (Filesize: 107.59 KB)
Fancy Victorinox & Wengers.jpg
* Fancy Victorinox & Wengers.jpg (Filesize: 92.9 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%