Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spirit Question

665ae · 21 · 5400

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Spirit Question
on: December 31, 2006, 01:35:06 AM
Ok, I'm not sure how to describe this...

On my Spirit, the only part of the plier jaws that touch each other are the tips.  There's a small gap that increases in size the further from the tip you get.  Is this normal?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Spirit Question
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 01:39:37 AM
Yup- it's designed that way to give you the utmost control and grip right at the tip of the pliers for doing fine work.

I've had a few tools that were made to be "flat" along the length of the forward section of the plier head and wouldn't grip small things right at the end.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 01:43:58 AM
Dang-it Def, why did you have to go and tell him that for? I was going to say that it was a defect, and make him worry about it until he sold it to me real cheap!
 :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 01:45:09 AM
If I didn't do it then I am sure Dunc would have been in shortly to say it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 01:48:18 AM
Hmm... ok.  I guess I'll just have to deal with it then.  My concern is that when gripping thin flat objects, the only contact point on the jaws will be right at the tip.  Which could lead to damaging the object I'm gripping.  Also, doesn't that put excessive stress on the tips of the pliers?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 01:50:47 AM
What are you gripping?  Anything that would need that kind of strength would probably open the jaws enough for them to lay flat, unless you are doing something funky?

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 01:56:43 AM
A lot of time when I work on development cars, there's very thin heat shield metal that will need to be twisted, bent, or just removed.  Sometimes it's easier just to grab it and yank it out, rather than try to get to some of the push fasteners, screws, etc.  I find that there are times when I really need to reef down on the pliers in order to grip the metal, and I don't want to end up breaking the pliers on the Spirit.  I can already squeeze it enough to almost eliminate the gap that's there...   

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 01:58:55 AM
Well, by the time you grip something about 1/64 of an inch, the grips will lie flat on what you are holding.  As the head opens the angles change.

Sounds to me like it shouldn't be a problem.

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 02:06:40 AM
Haha... I guess I'm just being unrealistically paranoid... (is unrealistically a word???)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 02:11:34 AM
When all else fails, remember that it is a Victorinox product, and therefore it's about the strongest, most high quality tool you can buy.  Those guys don't do anything halfway...

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 03:33:47 PM
May I dare say it that you may need a full size Swisstool  :o Some critics say the Swisstool is no good because it doesnt have full needle nose pliers , it has even been described as half baked  ::). I have had leathermans pliers nearly break because I have tristed things in the tip; and watch the pliers nearly over lap each other  :o and afterwards there was alot of play in them . The Swisstool pliers may be stubby but they take huge amounts of punishment .Could be one for you to take a look at  ;)

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 03:41:15 PM
I agree- you could probably disasseble the average Leopard Tank with little more than a SwissTool and a can of Breakfree...

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 05:49:38 PM
I have had leathermans pliers nearly break because I have tristed things in the tip; and watch the pliers nearly over lap each other  :o and afterwards there was alot of play in them......

I have an old Leatherman PST that was subject to a lot of twisting forces. The plier tips now have slop in them like what Dunc is describing. However, I haven't noted this to happen on any of the Leatherman tools since the late 1990's, when Leatherman switched over to their newer plier head with the beefier pivot area.

* pliers.jpg (Filesize: 39.97 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 05:56:44 PM
Yes your quite right , I have no problem with the Charges pliers , I actually quite liked them  :o But dont tell anyone .

Dunc

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 06:49:42 PM
Oh darn... I may have to look at getting another multi... whatever will I do?!?  :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 09:55:33 PM
Have to get another multi?  Oh the horror!

Next thing you know, you'll be hanging out with a bunch of plier people on the internet that encourage such delinquency!

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 12:02:30 AM
I was looking at the Surge today and it's got the same small gap between the pliers.  It's not as large at the Spirit one but it's definately there.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 11:09:01 AM
I was looking at the Surge today and it's got the same small gap between the pliers.  It's not as large at the Spirit one but it's definately there.

They all have a gap in them , as long as they meet at the tip .

Dunc

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 05:57:41 PM
Call me Captain Oblivious... I've never noticed the gap in any of them before.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 08:52:30 PM
I like how the pliers on the Spirit are wider than the LM pliers all the way to the tip
new.jpg
* new.jpg (Filesize: 24.26 KB)
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 10:25:10 PM
I'm having "Little Shop of Horrors" flashbacks...  I can hear those pliers yelling FEED ME already!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%