Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Firekits

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Firekits
on: August 13, 2014, 03:19:39 PM
This last weekend I went out and done practiced some of my firemaking skills and now I wondering, what is in your fire kits. Any ideas, or tricks that you want to share.

That's us mobile.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:23:57 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Firekits
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:36:43 PM
Bicycle inner tube pieces are a new "must-have" for me.  I also carry matches in a waterproof case, a ferro rod and a jet flame butane lighter.  I normally gather tinder when out and about but the inner tube rubber is a great backup for when things get really tricky.

The most useful fire starting technique (IMO anyway) is getting good at making feather sticks.

NOT MY PICS, but here is what I'd call a poor example of a feather stick:

Better is something like this (again, not my pic):

If you really want to go all out, then you can aim for this.  Though, personally, I think that's a little more than it needs to be.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:47:39 PM
I always carry an XL Exotac Nanostriker with a bit of cotton wool in it, with a further supply in a spy capsule. Add a Victorinox Farmer and your pretty guaranteed fire with the minimum amount of bulk, especially if like Gareth you are pretty handy with making feather sticks :)

In my larger fire kit I take down the woods is a tobacco tin with wire wool a 9v battery a bush key and a magnifying lens with a spare ferro rod and a bush key which I'm not very good at yet ::) and some strips of inner tube.

For actual fire then I use a permanent match. K1 survival do a really good one there's a video on YouTube but I'm on my phone and can't find it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:49:15 PM by Mike, Lord of the Spammers! »
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 05:50:08 PM
If your forest has fir trees, you don't need a feather stick. Fir trees have summer and winter thin dry twigs, at the bottom, that are great to start a fire.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 08:55:44 PM
Or use birch.

Found a vid of it on youtube (it´s not me), nice at birch is it works dry and wet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pE0XKjRJR3M

But usually i have no interest in toying around, and so i use the firestarter blocks from the supermarket for bbq-grills and/or fireplaces.  :D

Other than that - a mini BIC, some stormproof matches, and a IMCO 6700.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:34:41 PM
I use an Andy Kirkham "Canadian" style steel striker from Woodlore, a bit of old garden flint knapped to give a clean edge.  The tin is a "British" pattern c1790 replica in copper.

The burnable stuff is jute string (jute window sash cord from the local DIY merchants at a fiver for ten metres) and charcloth, some of which is home made.

Check out the pics on the links:-

http://www.sharkdesigns.co.uk/pictures/fire/tinderboxes/500_1790_copper_contents.jpg

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/716-Steel-Striker-Traditional-Canadian-Design/

It all works well enough for me  :D

I do also have a fire bow, which I will occasionally attempt if I wish to raise my blood pressure, swear loads and generally become unreasonable to all and sundry without so much as getting an ember  :facepalm:

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 09:40:22 PM
:D

Love that tinder box and striker! :)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 11:51:50 PM
Same here! That is nice!

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 05:27:14 AM
The only thing I carry that most people don't is a chunk of aluminum foil. No, not for the myth of the cup, or for fish, but to put under my initial firebuild. Damp ground can be a problem, and while you can build a platform of wet wood, that's still wet, right under your fire. A square of foil helps keep everything that much drier. And you can fold it up and prop it on one side if you don't have much to use for a windbreak.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:12:13 AM
:D

Love that tinder box and striker! :)

The box is available for Shark Design (http://www.sharkdesigns.co.uk/) with a striker, flint etc for about £40, they're nice guys to deal with too.  They do a lot of nice kit and their leatherwork is especially good.

The striker in the second photo is from Ray Mears' company (http://www.raymears.com/) although the striker that comes with the tinderbox from Shark is also very good, I preferred the Ray Mears one as it has more "finger room".  It cost about £30, again they seem to be a good company to deal with. :)

(ps I'm not affiliated with either company)

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 09:14:21 AM
The only thing I carry that most people don't is a chunk of aluminum foil. No, not for the myth of the cup, or for fish, but to put under my initial firebuild. Damp ground can be a problem, and while you can build a platform of wet wood, that's still wet, right under your fire. A square of foil helps keep everything that much drier. And you can fold it up and prop it on one side if you don't have much to use for a windbreak.

That's a really good idea Ironraven. I've only ever used leaves as a base on damp ground, but will try this at the next bushymeet I attend  :)

Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 09:42:43 AM
Like the idea of the foil! :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 10:00:34 AM
I use an Andy Kirkham "Canadian" style steel striker from Woodlore, a bit of old garden flint knapped to give a clean edge.  The tin is a "British" pattern c1790 replica in copper.

The burnable stuff is jute string (jute window sash cord from the local DIY merchants at a fiver for ten metres) and charcloth, some of which is home made.

http://www.sharkdesigns.co.uk/pictures/fire/tinderboxes/500_1790_copper_contents.jpg

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/716-Steel-Striker-Traditional-Canadian-Design/

I do also have a fire bow, which I will occasionally attempt if I wish to raise my blood pressure, swear loads and generally become unreasonable to all and sundry without so much as getting an ember  :facepalm:

I didn't know Andy Kirkham was making stuff for Ray Mears.  I knew Andy a little many years ago and he's a heck of a nice guy, in fact he made the longbow I have. :tu:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 10:37:16 AM
My firekit contains about 2m of jute twine, a magnesium firestarter (actually a nice gift), some wax paper and one of those magnifying glass cards. To be fair the jute should be waxed, the mag firestarter will end up as a block of magnesium without the ferro rod since they don't wear exactly evenly.

But it works for BBQs and bush bumming so I'm fine with it
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 11:14:59 AM
Styx, you have just reminded me of a trick someone once suggested to me but I never quite got around to trying.

Take a magnisium pencil sharpener with you; then you could take scrapings from the body of the sharpener, but (more importantly) create mounds of wood shavings by just finding a suitable sized stick. :)

hr Offline styx

Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 01:22:40 PM
nice idea, could be worth trying out
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 04:43:31 PM

I didn't know Andy Kirkham was making stuff for Ray Mears.  I knew Andy a little many years ago and he's a heck of a nice guy, in fact he made the longbow I have. :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

I think this was a commissioned design as I have only seen that shape on the Ray Mears website.  It certainly is the best striker I have ever used.

That's a really fine bow Gareth  :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 06:01:51 PM
Styx, you have just reminded me of a trick someone once suggested to me but I never quite got around to trying.

Take a magnisium pencil sharpener with you; then you could take scrapings from the body of the sharpener, but (more importantly) create mounds of wood shavings by just finding a suitable sized stick. :)

I have managed with a very dry stick to ignite the woodshavings from a pencil sharpener with just a firsteel

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 01:29:56 AM

I do this and have found it to be very useful. I haven't scraped the magnesium off of mine yet, but it is nice knowing that I have another option.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 09:12:33 AM
mine is fairly simple... a good, sturdy ferro rod and a waterproof match container stuffed full of vaseline-soaked cotton balls. I try not to use the cotton balls unless I really need them, but this combo pretty much guarantees fire for me. :)

Offline Cleanser

Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 01:43:59 AM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 05:46:02 PM
I posted somewhere that making fire for me was not successful.  I'd like to be proficient in making fire but in the mean time what I like is easy.

I bought these little logs to get my BBQ lit without having to use liquid accelerants.  I cut off a small piece and WOW this stuff burns. 

I think this would make a great addition to a kit especially when wrapped in foil.  I'd imagine throwing a spark at it would set it off as well.

There is a good video I watched on the burn time for this product and am impressed.

FIRE -Part 8- Finally, some frickin' FIRE!!!
FIRE -Part 9- "The End" (maybe...)
IMG_5479.jpg
* IMG_5479.jpg (Filesize: 208.93 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 06:01:41 PM
I wonder if you could scrape some off and light it with a ferro rod? Gonna have to try that. Looks like it would.
Thanks for the heads up.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 06:06:32 PM
I wonder if you could scrape some off and light it with a ferro rod? Gonna have to try that. Looks like it would.
Thanks for the heads up.

Nate

I like to know too.  I imagine it would since whatever this log is made is pretty flammable.  I cut small pieces off for my grill and keep the remaining in a tupperware type container.  I got it at wallymart for .99c.  I recently went a there was a huge box of fat wood that tempted me but this stuff is really good.   
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:24:59 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 06:20:43 PM
When I get a chance, I will grab a block of it and try it.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 09:23:47 PM
I have butane lighters in all my kits. First and foremost, simplest, fastest, and incredibly reliable, but always with a more rugged backup. I think lots of folks skip lighters and I'm not sure why. I get that they can run out... after literally a thousand lights. AND I get that they can run dry, but that's usually the cheapies. I've never had that problem with Bics.

Second is ANOTHER lighter, in my emergency kit in the car.

Third is a magnesium block with ferro rod in my emergency backpack. Followed by another ferro rod.

In the little Altoids kit I made, it had a mini bic and ferro rod.

Tinder is paper, cotton balls saturated with parafin, and tea candles. I much prefer parafin wax to petrolium jelly, which I find grossly messy. I think I might also have chapstick in my kit too. I think I need to check on that.

I have at least SOME aluminum foil in all of my kits for the above-stated reason, and also for use as a wind screen for fire starting and possibly for cooking. I have never been able to get water boiling in a makeshift aluminum foil container., not that I've tried much.

I would still like to pick up some credit card size fresnel lenses and play with them. I have never gotten ignition from a SAK magnifying glass. I bought a cheap (like $2) magnifying glass form Walmart with about a 2" lens, and it'd combust things quite easily.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 10:19:23 PM
A lot of us, including me skip lighters because we already have them on us. Also, a lot of us can start a fire pretty quick with a ferro rod. It does take some practice. But once you get it, you got it. Also while a Bic gets a few hundred or even a thousand. A ferro rod gets thousands of lights, works when wet. Less moving parts. I have had Bics, Zippos and other lightersw fail in just day to day use. Ferro does not seems to care. Now saying this, if I am in a bad way, and my lighter works, I gonna use it.
Let us also keep in mind, some firekits, like mine, doesn't really on tinder brought from home. Or a Bic. It relies on materials from your surroundings. It requires you to know your smurf and be able to do it.
I and others have said it before, practice, practice and practice some more. Best kit in the world won't do jack if you don't know how to use it.   

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 10:59:10 PM
A lot of us, including me skip lighters because we already have them on us. Also, a lot of us can start a fire pretty quick with a ferro rod. It does take some practice. But once you get it, you got it. Also while a Bic gets a few hundred or even a thousand. A ferro rod gets thousands of lights, works when wet. Less moving parts. I have had Bics, Zippos and other lightersw fail in just day to day use. Ferro does not seems to care. Now saying this, if I am in a bad way, and my lighter works, I gonna use it.
Let us also keep in mind, some firekits, like mine, doesn't really on tinder brought from home. Or a Bic. It relies on materials from your surroundings. It requires you to know your smurf and be able to do it.
I and others have said it before, practice, practice and practice some more. Best kit in the world won't do jack if you don't know how to use it.

Nate

I use lighters and items like the  Duraflame firestarter because I suck at starting fire.  I believe the above is terrific way to look at things.  I'm going to continue to practice bit in the mean time I'll keep my tried and true kit close at hand.  I also dont see myself being to far from the connivence of fire making materials so making fire is more a WANTED skill.   

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:00:53 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 11:20:19 PM

Nate

I use lighters and items like the  Duraflame firestarter because I suck at starting fire.  I believe the above is terrific way to look at things.  I'm going to continue to practice bit in the mean time I'll keep my tried and true kit close at hand.  I also dont see myself being to far from the connivence of fire making materials so making fire is more a WANTED skill.
Nothing wrong with your kit. If it works for you then by all means use it. More power to you. And a lot of us are like you, it is a wanted skill. And it is a lot of fun. And maybe, hopefully not, you might need it.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 06:08:19 AM
I like fire. A lot.

You might say I have a problem when it comes to fire making that is akin to the problem some here have with SAKs.  I like being able to produce flame from a number of sources and methods,  and I practice anything I can get my hands on.

My bag based EDC reflects that desire.  I believe I have at least 7 methods of making fire on me without resorting to friction. 

Let's see.. off the top of my head. .

Bic lighter in the bag (and one on my person)
Ferro rod
Storm proof matches in a safe with cotton
mag glass
Fresnel lens
Double wick candle in a tin along with cotton and a book of paper matches
Bicycle tire inner tube band
Esee steel (and bow drill socket)
Aluminum foil
spark lite
tinder quick
Chap Stick
Batteries
plenty of knives of course..

And cordage if friction is the last resort.

Anything else I can gather in the outdoors.  I've tested all manner of tinder from plants. It isn't terribly difficult where I reside to find plenty of useful material via a quick woods walk.

So far pouring rain is my only real nemesis.  Takes a lot of work in the wet to even get set up. And God forbid you are down to flint and steel or friction in the pouring rain. If you can find a dry sheltered spot,  not so bad, but still bad.

Though I have tinder in my kit, I still tend to gather it as I walk, even though I don't need it. Or I at least note where I saw it. Odd, that.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:10:18 AM by glorn »
G

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24