Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Firekits

00 Offline gorbag

• Tapatalk User
Re: Firekits
Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 09:16:49 AM
What, no love for char cloth?  It works great with ferro rods.
The world belongs to the funkiest.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 02:51:32 PM
Well, if anyone asks glorn if he has a light, the answer is; emphatically, yes! :D

Rain and cold are indeed the real killers of fire building.  I've managed in both but it takes a lot more work to get things going, and there have been a couple of times where I've decided to stop trying as I felt it was getting more to be more hassle than it was worth.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 03:29:43 PM
Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in a ferro rod/magnesium block?
I am more motivated than ever to up my fire making repertoire. 

I buy lighters buy the dozen at the dollar store and have now have some Zip fire thingies.  You can smell the accelerant thru the box they came in.  I saw a guy throw a spark on the unopened package and it lit no problem at all. 

Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 03:35:59 PM
Well, if anyone asks glorn if he has a light, the answer is; emphatically, yes! :D

Heh heh.. true.  :cheers:

Just got the Esee steel recently. Very nice bit of kit. Simple, and not exactly high tech, but well thought out and has multiple uses. A bit spendy for what it is, but you pay for the good idea and execution of design. A bow drill socket can be a pain to sort out in the field, so adding that to a steel is smart if not at least clever. The sharp edge strikes ferro like a champ too.

If one lives in an area where flint is common enough, and wished (unlike me) to have a small fire kit, I would say this is a good place to start. Comes in a tin, so making charred cloth would be easy. Toss in a small ferro, some cotton, a few matches, a mini Bic, and maybe some pre-made charred cloth and you'd be good to go for sure in the size of a candy tin. Wrap with cord and you have yet another option. You could have 4-5 fire making options in that tiny box.

I had considered posting a review in the OPMT forum, as it truly is a multitool for fire making. (strikes ferro, strikes sparks with flint, drill socket) But I suppose it would get shot down due to lacking a bottle opener or what have you.

The patina on mine is lovely too BTW. It would appear that they actually apply an acid to them on purpose for the looks alone.

http://www.eseeknives.com/fire-steel.htm
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 03:39:12 PM by glorn »
G

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 03:50:40 PM
I'd not come across that ESEE steel before, great looking bit of kit. :tu:  One to add to my Christmas wish list I think.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 04:00:53 PM
Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in a ferro rod/magnesium block?

I buy lighters buy the dozen at the dollar store and have now have some Zip fire thingies.  You can smell the accelerant thru the box they came in.  I saw a guy throw a spark on the unopened package and it lit no problem at all.
Best thing to do is get a good fat ferro rod. That is all you need as for making fires that way. Also, the problem with the combo ferro/magnesium block is you will use up the ferro way before you will the magnesium. A neat to trick to do though, get a cheap combo one and slowly drill a bunch of holes in it and save the shavings. You can use those for the really hard starts. Way easier than trying to use a blade or what have to scape some of the block. Once you get some practice, you will be able to light most fires with just the ferro rod.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 04:03:15 PM
Glorn, that esee steel looks sweet! Does the steel get hot when using it for a bow drill?
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 04:04:39 PM

Best thing to do is get a good fat ferro rod. That is all you need as for making fires that way. Also, the problem with the combo ferro/magnesium block is you will use up the ferro way before you will the magnesium. A neat to trick to do though, get a cheap combo one and slowly drill a bunch of holes in it and save the shavings. You can use those for the really hard starts. Way easier than trying to use a blade or what have to scape some of the block. Once you get some practice, you will be able to light most fires with just the ferro rod.

Thank you. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 14, 2014, 04:08:42 PM
Patina..
2014-11-14 10.06.06.jpg
* 2014-11-14 10.06.06.jpg (Filesize: 360.14 KB)
G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 04:15:54 PM
Glorn, that esee steel looks sweet! Does the steel get hot when using it for a bow drill?

It is a great design. Thick cut steel and pleasant to handle.

I just got it this week, so I have not yet had a chance to try the bow drill socket. The papers that came with it do describe it getting hot, so I imagine it would. But it would be easy enough to put on gloves or something in between ones hand and it. Frankly, on a cold day I might welcome that hot slab of steel as a hand warmer. I'd rather have the heat build up over futzing around with a rock as a socket or drilling a second bit of hardwood for the job. I have split wooden sockets on occasion. I always wanted a knife with the socket in the handle, but prefer Moras for EDC, so when I was looking for a steel and found this.. made my day.

I do love the look of old school blacksmith type steels, but I prefer this modern interpretation.
G

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: November 14, 2014, 04:21:04 PM
Thanks Glorn! I think when I get a bit of extra coin, I am going to get one. Looks like it will throw some nice sparks with a piece of flint. Looks to be a nice bit of kit.
Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 14, 2014, 04:27:46 PM
For $30 on Amazon, it is a bit expensive for a hunk of carbon steel, but.. it is quite nice. Again, paying for the idea. I doubt you'd be disappointed. Thicker, wider, and shorter than a Pocket Wrench II, but similar form factor. Could be carried on a cord or carabiner. Easily pocketed as well.

It does throw sparks with flint easily. Though that is more about the edge on the flint I think.
G

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: November 14, 2014, 04:35:49 PM
For $30 on Amazon, it is a bit expensive for a hunk of carbon steel, but.. it is quite nice. Again, paying for the idea. I doubt you'd be disappointed. Thicker, wider, and shorter than a Pocket Wrench II, but similar form factor. Could be carried on a cord or carabiner. Easily pocketed as well.

It does throw sparks with flint easily. Though that is more about the edge on the flint I think.
Both I believe. Got to have good steel for a piece of sharp flint to work.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Grail Knight

• Who Dares Wins!
Reply #43 on: November 14, 2014, 04:48:21 PM
This last weekend I went out and done practiced some of my firemaking skills and now I wondering, what is in your fire kits. Any ideas, or tricks that you want to share.

I have a few items in my fire kit tin as my wife and I camp quite a bit.

1 sm. block of magnesium w/ file striker
1 Bic lighter
10 cotton balls
2 MilSurplus Heat Tabs (The old C-Rations heating tablets)

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: November 21, 2014, 02:09:28 AM
I just wrote a massive post and my internet went down and I lost it!  :facepalm:

To cut it short I have a couple of wet fire and some tinder quik in a small otterbox along with a LMF Scout and a mini bic.

I also have a ust strike force (AWESOME Ferro rod) and an exotac nano striker.

Wet fire doesn't last very long before it dries out even when kept in the foil packets, and they don't fit in the storage end of the strike force without piercing the foil (UST FAIL).

Tinder Quiks are awesome, I don't have any complaints about those.
darren

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: December 11, 2014, 05:57:35 PM
Ok so I think I got my kit worked out but please chime in.

My goal was simple for fire starting and at the most basic of ideas is a lighter.  I wanted to be able to start a fire easily with the least amount of effort and in difficult conditions.

The lighter is the simplest lets face it but for fun let's go with the scenario that my lighter fails, what's my next approach? 

Accelerants.  The name says it all right?  I want to hedge my bet on getting a fire going.  My choice is the very flammable Zip fire starter block broken down and carried in a small crazy glue tube.  This stuff takes a spark like crazy and can be lit by spark without taking it out of the package.

Charcloth.  While this is a process to make its a fun process and very lightweight. 

Steelwool 0000.  Lightweight and can be lit by spark or battery.

Magnesium.  This stuff burns and takes a spark pretty easy. 

Aluminum foil.  To be used as others have suggested as a platform ( wet ground ) on which to work to contain for magnesium shavings, charcloth, Zip fire starter also as a wind screen.

Flint steel and striker.  I'll need something create sparks right!

Everything fits into a Altoid tin wrapped with electrical tape ( offer some water resistance ) and ranger bands holding a Spartan to the top.

To me its simple and covers a variety of scenarios.  Fire starting is more of a fun thing to do for me.  I seem to always reach for the lighter honestly when I light something at camp.  It is neat however to create fire.       
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: December 11, 2014, 06:28:11 PM
Ok so I think I got my kit worked out but please chime in.

My goal was simple for fire starting and at the most basic of ideas is a lighter.  I wanted to be able to start a fire easily with the least amount of effort and in difficult conditions.

The lighter is the simplest lets face it but for fun let's go with the scenario that my lighter fails, what's my next approach? 

Accelerants.  The name says it all right?  I want to hedge my bet on getting a fire going.  My choice is the very flammable Zip fire starter block broken down and carried in a small crazy glue tube.  This stuff takes a spark like crazy and can be lit by spark without taking it out of the package.

Charcloth.  While this is a process to make its a fun process and very lightweight. 

Steelwool 0000.  Lightweight and can be lit by spark or battery.

Magnesium.  This stuff burns and takes a spark pretty easy. 

Aluminum foil.  To be used as others have suggested as a platform ( wet ground ) on which to work to contain for magnesium shavings, charcloth, Zip fire starter also as a wind screen.

Flint steel and striker.  I'll need something create sparks right!

Everything fits into a Altoid tin wrapped with electrical tape ( offer some water resistance ) and ranger bands holding a Spartan to the top.

To me its simple and covers a variety of scenarios.  Fire starting is more of a fun thing to do for me.  I seem to always reach for the lighter honestly when I light something at camp.  It is neat however to create fire.       

I think this should be a fun kit to play with, I see items like charcloth, flint/steel, steel wool 0000 are more for the fun, but lighter, magnesium(get the Doan, other cheap Chinese block can't live up to it, and get a spare ferro rod since the original may fell off it), "Accelerants" are probably the meat and potato for sure fire.

My personal favorite is Tinder Quik, tested it in so many different environment, dump and soak it thru in water and still light up with ferro rod.  Wet fire is also great for rainy days.  I do suggest to consider some kind of tinder/"accelerants" that would work well even under foul weather.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: December 11, 2014, 06:51:32 PM
Yes the 0000 steel wool and charcloth are the fun stuff but the I've also seen the Steel wool light pretty easily even wet ( I've not tested ).  The Zip is a highly flammable substance and in my testing took a very weak spark to ignite.  In thinking about it I will add a stick of fatwood as well.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline cool123

Reply #48 on: December 17, 2014, 08:26:59 AM
Bicycle inner tube pieces are a new "must-have" for me.  I also carry matches in a waterproof case, a ferro rod and a jet flame butane lighter.  I normally gather tinder when out and about but the inner tube rubber is a great backup for when things get really tricky.

The most useful fire starting technique (IMO anyway) is getting good at making feather sticks.

NOT MY PICS, but here is what I'd call a poor example of a feather stick:
(Image removed from quote.)

Better is something like this (again, not my pic):

If you really want to go all out, then you can aim for this.  Though, personally, I think that's a little more than it needs to be.

Hello Gareth,

I usually go for camping trip to forests. Thanks for sharing this post. I will by now will definitely carry some fire starter when I will be out for some camping trips.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: December 18, 2014, 10:53:42 AM
Good stuff cool123. 8)  Before you go out have a good read of some campfire safety guides (google for a few options) and make sure of the rules regarding fires in the area you are going too.  A good fire is what makes a camping trip for me, but I'd not want to be responsible for a forest fire either. :ahhh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: December 19, 2014, 04:00:17 PM
Got back from my camping trip and wanted to share my fire kit success.

Magnesium shavings for me work great.  It was wet and cold out and these worked great to give me just enough edge to get a fire going. 

Zip fire starter was an easy way to go about getting fire going tho the wet tinder was stubborn.

I made some char cloth from a thin cotton item and while it worked I think a thicker cotton t shirt would have better.  My char cloth caught fire but seemed to go out pretty quickly. 

I gathered as much fine material and placed it in the center of my birds nest and tried each component and threw a spark into the center.  I was successful on each try.  I wasn't successful with just a spark.  It had rained and most tinder was very wet. 

I tried my hand a making a feather stick and trying to ignite it and was unsuccessful.  The campsite has oak, pine, ash, cedar and a good mix of shrubs and grasses.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to know all the different materials so I focused on dry material.  I did want to avoid pine only because of the resin "advantage". 

I did use my cast iron pan but I was successful on wet dirt too. 

I've learned some things and most importantly patience.       
IMG_5953.jpg
* IMG_5953.jpg (Filesize: 267.86 KB)
IMG_5954.jpg
* IMG_5954.jpg (Filesize: 213.78 KB)
IMG_5955.jpg
* IMG_5955.jpg (Filesize: 195.66 KB)
IMG_5952.jpg
* IMG_5952.jpg (Filesize: 198 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: December 19, 2014, 05:42:12 PM
Looks like you had a blast! Nice pics too!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: December 20, 2014, 12:23:04 AM
It was a great time thanx.  I had so much fun trying different methods and the weather was perfect to challenge us.  I forgot to mention I had success with 0000 steel wool too this stuff goes up quick. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: December 20, 2014, 02:15:58 AM
Sweet! I always said a bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
I am gonna try to get in the woods tomarrow or Sunday, hopefully.
Nate

SEND IT!

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: April 06, 2015, 10:50:16 AM
Here's my fire kit that I've been using for a while, along with my Stay Glow Hiker
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 364.05 KB)
darren

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #55 on: April 11, 2015, 04:59:35 AM

Heh heh.. true.  :cheers:

Just got the Esee steel recently. Very nice bit of kit. Simple, and not exactly high tech, but well thought out and has multiple uses. A bit spendy for what it is, but you pay for the good idea and execution of design. A bow drill socket can be a pain to sort out in the field, so adding that to a steel is smart if not at least clever. The sharp edge strikes ferro like a champ too.

If one lives in an area where flint is common enough, and wished (unlike me) to have a small fire kit, I would say this is a good place to start. Comes in a tin, so making charred cloth would be easy. Toss in a small ferro, some cotton, a few matches, a mini Bic, and maybe some pre-made charred cloth and you'd be good to go for sure in the size of a candy tin. Wrap with cord and you have yet another option. You could have 4-5 fire making options in that tiny box.

I had considered posting a review in the OPMT forum, as it truly is a multitool for fire making. (strikes ferro, strikes sparks with flint, drill socket) But I suppose it would get shot down due to lacking a bottle opener or what have you.

The patina on mine is lovely too BTW. It would appear that they actually apply an acid to them on purpose for the looks alone.

http://www.eseeknives.com/fire-steel.htm

Nice ESEE steel , alway want one

us Offline David

Reply #56 on: January 01, 2016, 10:46:39 PM
Some firekit and gear. First up Bic lighter with bicycle inner tube wrap
firekit 003.JPG
* firekit 003.JPG (Filesize: 67.49 KB)
firekit 005.JPG
* firekit 005.JPG (Filesize: 68.36 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #57 on: January 01, 2016, 10:50:17 PM
Flint and steel kit w/char cloth and jute cord.
firekit 012.JPG
* firekit 012.JPG (Filesize: 48.84 KB)
firekit 018.JPG
* firekit 018.JPG (Filesize: 50.71 KB)
firekit 024.JPG
* firekit 024.JPG (Filesize: 61.56 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #58 on: January 01, 2016, 10:56:35 PM
Ferro rods, magnesium bar and Bic lighter.
firekit 027.JPG
* firekit 027.JPG (Filesize: 71.31 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #59 on: January 01, 2016, 11:01:55 PM
Matches, vasoline soaked cotton balls, fresnal magnifying lens, hand sanitizer.
firekit 044.JPG
* firekit 044.JPG (Filesize: 64.71 KB)
firekit 051.JPG
* firekit 051.JPG (Filesize: 59.14 KB)
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD