Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

firearms

ducttapetech · 3118 · 155585

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: firearms
Reply #2940 on: February 21, 2017, 11:08:32 PM
Good shooting Colo. :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2941 on: February 21, 2017, 11:09:07 PM
Nice grouping. How many meters?

25 feet would be about 7 or 8 meters.
In that case, very nice grouping.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2942 on: February 21, 2017, 11:28:01 PM

Thanks.    :cheers:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2943 on: February 21, 2017, 11:32:02 PM
Good shooting Colo. :hatsoff:

Thanks.   :cheers:

Some years back I knew a wildlife rehabilitator (a person who cares for injured wildlife so it can be released back into the woods).  He had several possums at various times and thought they were nice animals. However they do need some caution in handling as they have a lot of large sharp teeth.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:33:49 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #2944 on: February 22, 2017, 02:45:38 AM
Now it might be because we don't get them here, but am I weird in thinking that opossums are quite cute? :think:
They don't bother me. I think they are cool looking. They are just a four legged buzzard with a rat tail. I know alot of people go out of there way to kill them, but I dont.

Me either, they don't carry rabies and I would real feel bad if I popped the party possum....   :rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2945 on: February 22, 2017, 02:47:29 AM

Nice work Karl!!!  :cheers: :cheers:  Nice Smith too!!!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2946 on: February 22, 2017, 03:23:59 AM

Nice work Karl!!!  :cheers: :cheers:  Nice Smith too!!!  :salute:

Thanks.   :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2947 on: February 25, 2017, 01:27:49 AM
Picked up a rifled slug barrel for Dad's old 20ga. Mossberg today. Been wanting one to try sabots on hogs. Was glad to see that a 2015 barrel dropped right in a 1970's receiver. :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2948 on: February 25, 2017, 02:18:40 AM
Hope it works smoothly.   :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2949 on: February 25, 2017, 04:10:23 AM
Hope it works smoothly.   :cheers:

Thx Karl!!!!  They are rooting about 40 yards from the house now so maybe I'll be out early or late and can get a shot.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2950 on: March 02, 2017, 04:08:47 AM
That's an odd malfunction. In that extreme rearward position, the recoil spring is fully compressed....it could be binding as well. A replacement recoil spring might fix it but on a new gun I would want them to fix it or replace it.

Ironravens's mag idea is a good thing to check....any rub to the top of the mag lips or bottom of the slide?

Not that I have noticed. I shot about 70 more rounds the other day, gun ran smoothly with no malfunctions.

Good deal! Maybe it just needed a little range time!!  :cheers:

She has a total of 550 rounds through her now with one more malfunction. I caught it on video. Also a few times i noticed it hiccup when chambering a new round. I was able to recreate the problem when I got home. It happened near the 520 round mark i think.
What are your thoughts? It only actually locked back once during live fire. I have a video of it as evidence

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2951 on: March 02, 2017, 04:09:17 AM
As you can see the slide lock is not engaged

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2952 on: March 04, 2017, 02:06:57 AM

Yeah....in my mind, 520 rds is plenty for a break in period. If you're going to carry or use it for self defense, it would bug me. You probably paid a lot of money for it and it should be worry free with no probs esp if it's a defensive gun.

If it were mine....

I would call Smith, then email them the pics/video. That's a weird kind of stoppage for no apparent reason. See if they will give you a different gun or look over yours.  They may have a service center near you. Or get on the Smith gun boards and ask if anyone has had the same prob with that particular gun.

My prob is I haven't bought a new gun in 20+ years so I don't know what the norm is now. Maybe a couple stoppages in 500+ rounds is the norm for such a high tech compact pistol? There's a lot of technology in a small package there...  "Back in the day" we didn't compete or carry a gun that wasn't 100% reliable but I'm out of touch since I don't own a firearm that was made after the mid 90's.  :facepalm:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #2953 on: March 04, 2017, 02:23:26 AM
Yeah.... Have you someone who's gone through S&W's armourer's course for the M&P in your area? Something about that does look funky, maybe a bad spring.

Over 500 rounds, you're out of the break in period for a modern pistol from a major manufacturer. And what you're showing isn't normal.

When the slide is back like that, can you wiggle the barrel?

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2954 on: March 04, 2017, 02:24:47 AM
Yeah.... Have you someone who's gone through S&W's armourer's course for the M&P in your area? Something about that does look funky, maybe a bad spring.

Over 500 rounds, you're out of the break in period for a modern pistol from a major manufacturer. And what you're showing isn't normal.

I can wiggle the barrel. At least I think i can. I have also noticed that when I press check it i have to manually put the gun back into battery

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2955 on: March 04, 2017, 05:36:52 AM

I can wiggle the barrel. At least I think i can. I have also noticed that when I press check it i have to manually put the gun back into battery

Refresh my memory, did you replace the recoil spring? That slowing down/binding at the end of the stroke may be a bad/weak spring.

And your sure all the slide/frame bearing surfaces are clean, greased/oiled and burr free?
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2956 on: March 05, 2017, 02:53:58 AM

Refresh my memory, did you replace the recoil spring? That slowing down/binding at the end of the stroke may be a bad/weak spring.

And your sure all the slide/frame bearing surfaces are clean, greased/oiled and burr free?
I have not replaced the spring and all surfaces have been cleaned to the best of my ability. The pic is from after I was shooting, before the gun was cleaned after about 200 or so rounds.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #2957 on: March 05, 2017, 04:00:53 AM

Yeah....in my mind, 520 rds is plenty for a break in period. If you're going to carry or use it for self defense, it would bug me. You probably paid a lot of money for it and it should be worry free with no probs esp if it's a defensive gun.

If it were mine....

I would call Smith, then email them the pics/video. That's a weird kind of stoppage for no apparent reason. See if they will give you a different gun or look over yours.  They may have a service center near you. Or get on the Smith gun boards and ask if anyone has had the same prob with that particular gun.

My prob is I haven't bought a new gun in 20+ years so I don't know what the norm is now. Maybe a couple stoppages in 500+ rounds is the norm for such a high tech compact pistol? There's a lot of technology in a small package there...  "Back in the day" we didn't compete or carry a gun that wasn't 100% reliable but I'm out of touch since I don't own a firearm that was made after the mid 90's.  :facepalm:

No, not no but smurf no.

Ain't no Smith M&P that should not run out of the box.

When I was a PO in Detroit we had tons of M&P .40s and I never even heard of one not running likke a champ.

Smith is suppose to have great customer service I would contact them and have them sort it out.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #2958 on: March 05, 2017, 05:43:11 PM

If it were mine....

No, if anything, things have got much better in the small auto scene. Two and a half years ago, I got a brand new Glock 26 gen 4 in 9mm. In the few thousand rounds I've put through the gun so far, there has not been a single malfunction of any kind. So it can be done. Any finicky behavior is not to be tolerated in a self defense type of pistol. I was a hard core died in the wool revolver man, and took a lot to bring me over to the Glock.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2959 on: March 06, 2017, 03:28:44 PM
Great to see guys with the pertinent info on current tech post on the subject!!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2960 on: March 06, 2017, 03:32:28 PM
Thanks all for the comments! I will be either taking it back to the shop i bought it at last month or sending it to smith soon

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
firearms
Reply #2961 on: March 07, 2017, 04:54:55 AM
MORE problems with my new shield

The smurfing sight came out of the sight hole thing! Good grief. It came out as the slide went back after firing a round and hit me in the shoulder. You have got to be kidding me. I know fiber optics arent widely popular for ccw but these are supposed to be like cemented in there according to what i heard. I was just shooting her a little more before sending it to gun store i bought it from tomorrow so they can take a look. This on top of the recoil spring problem us just flat out frustrating. This is my first s&w. I bought performance center expecting top quality work.. i have heard that their customer service is good. We may find out shortly. I hope so. I really really want to love this gun. I'm trying to. I like the s&w company and I know from what I've read that this isn't normal with them. Hopefully this can get worked out quickly. Sorry for the :rant: . I really want this to go well as buying a brand new gun is a big deal for me. Its disappointing to be having these issues at 650 rounds if the first month or two. Or really at any round count and time period.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:02:29 AM by gdoolittle »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2962 on: March 07, 2017, 05:09:54 AM
Now that I got the rant out of the way, i shot my dad's s&w m&p bodyguard .380 and it shot extremely well. The orange is a 2 inch square. I shot 6 shots at 30 feet and a 10lb long double action trigger pull!!!! This is better than i was shooting with my gun which has around a 5lb pull and longer barrel. I am very impressed with his gun.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2963 on: March 07, 2017, 06:30:17 AM
Good shooting!   :cheers:

That's as good as I'm doing with a 6" bbl target revolver.

Hope you can get your Smith squared away. 

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:31:38 AM by ColoSwiss »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2964 on: March 07, 2017, 12:51:06 PM
Sorry  hear about your M&P woes mate. :(  When it is working well how do you like it?  BTW good shooting with the .380 :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
firearms
Reply #2965 on: March 07, 2017, 02:37:19 PM
Sorry  hear about your M&P woes mate. :(  When it is working well how do you like it?  BTW good shooting with the .380 :tu:
When it is working well the trigger (the main reason i had for going with the pc model) pulls like a dream and it is acceptably accurate. I haven't shot anywhere near as well as i shot that .380 though, although that is probably my fault. I shoot low and to the left a good bit which makes me think I'm anticipating the recoil too much.
Here is 8 shots at 30 feet with the shield(after the sight fell off so i was just looking through a hole). I think this was my best grouping of the day. Both the shield and the bodyguard i shot only standing no rest.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:38:31 PM by gdoolittle »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
firearms
Reply #2966 on: March 07, 2017, 02:41:41 PM
My shield has a 3.1 inch barrel. The bodyguard 380 is a 2.5 i believe. Each square on the grid on the target is an inch.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:42:55 PM by gdoolittle »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2967 on: March 07, 2017, 05:58:09 PM
Good shooting!   :cheers:

That's as good as I'm doing with a 6" bbl target revolver.

Hope you can get your Smith squared away.

+100!!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2968 on: March 08, 2017, 03:18:09 PM
Just an update: yesterday I left the gun with the gun store owner who I bought it from. He is going to shoot it today or tomorrow and let me know what he thinks, and if he can do anything or that we need to send it to s&w.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #2969 on: March 09, 2017, 09:59:11 AM
I saw a post on twitter this morning that someone was confused as to the purpose of a four barrel rifle. It reminded me of the work by Johann Fanzoj and his Vierling safari rifle

http://www.fanzoj.com/en/gunroom/custom_built_weapons/other_rifles/vierling.html

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD