Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

firearms

ducttapetech · 3118 · 155912

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: firearms
Reply #600 on: February 07, 2015, 04:26:05 PM
I take it an auto would be better than a pump for competition? I am maybe looking into competitions down the road, and do want to keep my options open without having to buy more gear.

I would say you should look into autos if you are going to be using it for that kind of competition shooting.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #601 on: February 07, 2015, 05:19:16 PM
I take it an auto would be better than a pump for competition? I am maybe looking into competitions down the road, and do want to keep my options open without having to buy more gear.

I would say you should look into autos if you are going to be using it for that kind of competition shooting.

+1
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #602 on: February 08, 2015, 08:52:09 PM
Pumps seem to be very popular as well.

Still looking around. Whatever I eventually end up with, will decidedly be on the cheap end of the spectrum. No way could I justify spending $2000.00 Plus on a shotgun.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #603 on: February 09, 2015, 01:47:26 AM

Still looking around. Whatever I eventually end up with, will decidedly be on the cheap end of the spectrum. No way could I justify spending $2000.00 Plus on a shotgun.

On the cheaper end, look at the Mossberg 500 series pumps....good guns. I still have mine from the 70's. Not super heavy duty like a 870 but still a good pump. The 590's are the milspec heavy duty Mossbergs (or they were..).
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #604 on: February 09, 2015, 01:50:38 AM
+1
I was just getting ready to post this.
Good suggestion Sakguy.
Nate
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #605 on: February 09, 2015, 03:13:15 AM
Used my much loved Remmy 870 for almost a year in three gun and see a number of guys use Mossy 500's so if that's how you want to skin the cat it is not the worst idea I have ever heard.

That said if you think you may ever get serious about three gun or want an auto that is simply better just get a Stoeger M3000. The MSRP on these are like $700 and can be found for $550 all day long. Toss on a mag extension and you are ready to roll. These gun just run well and have a excellent 5 year warranty although I have never nor have I seen anyone ever need it.

Anyhow I will stop harassing you about this now. Just wish I would have known about this when I started in three gun. Would have saved some money and hassle messing with a pump gun.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #606 on: February 09, 2015, 03:17:05 AM
Ok I lied.

Forgot to add a link.

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/02/stoeger-industries-introduces-3-gun-ready-m3k/

The stuff they say about it actually being developed by shooters is very true. Tons of us provided feedback to JT, Mr. Kelley and Stoeger while this was being tested.

Ok now I am done for real.  :whistle:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #607 on: February 09, 2015, 04:42:41 AM
+1
I was just getting ready to post this.
Good suggestion Sakguy.
Nate

Thanks Nate!   :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #608 on: February 09, 2015, 04:44:14 AM

On the cheaper end, look at the Mossberg 500 series pumps....good guns. I still have mine from the 70's. Not super heavy duty like a 870 but still a good pump. The 590's are the milspec heavy duty Mossbergs (or they were..).

Some people like the 500's over the 870 for the placement of the safety and release as well.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #609 on: February 09, 2015, 05:29:46 AM

Some people like the 500's over the 870 for the placement of the safety and release as well.

Yes the safety for sure, much better placement then the Remmy.

Not for me as much though because of many years of using the Remington safety location.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #610 on: February 09, 2015, 05:58:15 AM

Not for me as much though because of many years of using the Remington safety location.

Same. I'm used to it now and honestly (not knocking the Mossberg), but I like the 870 much more.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #611 on: February 09, 2015, 07:28:41 AM

Same. I'm used to it now and honestly (not knocking the Mossberg), but I like the 870 much more.

Yep.

Love the 870. Nothing in a pump shotgun that is even close imo.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #612 on: February 09, 2015, 01:07:28 PM
This looks like something I might want to try later on....looks like whatever I end up with should have a very large ammo count on it.

Waiting till sometime in March or heaven forbid, April...is killing me!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #613 on: February 09, 2015, 01:29:48 PM
After talking to a few local guys, I quickly bought some 9mm snap caps for indoor practice.

The local gun shop didn't have anything similar for .22 LR...which I understand is a no-no for dry firing as you can damage the pin on rim fired handguns and rifles.

I also bought and installed some additional storage made for the gun cabinet.

A while back, I bought the best safety hearing muff set I could find locally. However, after talking to a few ISPC shooters, I found myself buying one with a mic set built in. It is designed to muff out loud noises past a certain decibel level, but allow crystal clear hearing for instructions on the competition course.

and the older set.

Yeah, so I am dying to get my PAL these days. Even so bad as to buy a .177 air gun Browning BuckMark that resembles my BuckMark Hunter in .22LR...you know...for practice.  :facepalm:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #614 on: February 09, 2015, 05:21:22 PM
Snap caps are a great idea. About the .22 the fact it can not be dryfired is not such a big deal since ammo is so cheap.

Howard light makes some good and not to expensive electronic muffs and of course Peltors are top of the line and cost accordingly.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #615 on: February 09, 2015, 11:04:00 PM
True, but still hard to practice in your home with live .22LR ammo.  :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #616 on: February 10, 2015, 12:46:41 AM
Just use a room you don't like. Or better yet, find somebody you don't like and use there room.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #617 on: February 10, 2015, 04:04:09 AM

Suppressor and a basement range for the win.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #618 on: February 10, 2015, 04:50:24 AM
One is illegal where I am...and the other would contravene a few city by-laws.  :D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #619 on: February 10, 2015, 05:51:54 AM
One is illegal where I am...and the other would contravene a few city by-laws.  :D

It will be our secret. Ain't like they will be in your basement checking right?  :pok:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #620 on: February 10, 2015, 06:41:35 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention, I don't have a basement. Crawlspace would't be all that convenient.  ;)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #621 on: February 10, 2015, 09:18:04 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention, I don't have a basement. Crawlspace would't be all that convenient.  ;)

Looks like it is time to move.  :pok:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #622 on: February 18, 2015, 01:13:53 AM
The more I dig deep in my research, the weirder Canadian gun laws appear to me. It makes no sense. For example, I have found a few online places that will sell me a 9" barrel pump shotgun that is legal because it is not modified and comes from the factory that way. However, If someone wants to saw the barrel off of one, it has to be at least 18 1/2" long or some serious jail time will be yours for the taking.

Here is another weird Canadian law thing. Magazines are a source of contention because in Canada, you are restricted to only 5 center fire rounds in a magazine.  However, things aren't so black and white, and there appears to be plenty of loopholes as evinced in this article...

http://globalnews.ca/news/772067/the-booming-business-in-magazines-that-legally-triple-rifle-capacity/

So the more I read, the more informed...and confused I get at times lol.

On the plus side, I have now a list of online places I can find interesting items once I get my RPAL to the door. There appears to be a lot of cheap Chinese firearms flooding the Canadian market. For example, Norinco produces a ton of pistols, shotguns, and rifles. I can buy a new Chinese GI 1911 copy for around 300 dollars. Dominion Arms sells a Grizzly shotgun that holds 5 rounds in a magazine for around the 350 dollar mark. I hear they are heavy but that might not be a bad thing when it comes to shotguns. The cheapest AR 15 type I could find was a Norinco copy for 650 dollars.

But I digress...I am still looking into shotguns. I walked into the local gun shop a few days ago and asked to see some shotguns, deciding to focus on tactical stuff...but then I noticed a few ugly as sin camo guns with several barrels. I asked to see those and of course asked for the local prices. Here is the list...

Weatherby PA-459 Black Reaper $500
Mossberg Flex 500 $600
Remington 870 Express Magpul Desert $900
Remington 870 Tactical $639
Stoeger 20" Tactical coach gun $550
Mossberg 500 3 barrel set $519
Mossberg 535 Deer and Turkey 2 barrel set $510

Still very undecided. I plan on possibly doing shotgun competitions with it down the road. I have no interest in hunting, viewing this as an extension on my archery...purely for target sport purposes. That Stoeger Tactical double barrel coach gun is intriguing...but unsure how much of a hamper that would be in competing with it someday. I know plenty of folks are happy with their Remington 870s. In fact, the cheap Chinese shotguns tend to be based on a not as good 870 action. The barrel set shotguns are neat...but I noticed that the Mossberg barrels tend to screw into the end of the ammunition tube...preventing me from installing a tube expander down the road. The ammunition tube is not a pass-through design. Also not sure if I would ever use the other barrels to be honest...but they do appear to be a steal of a deal. I am told shotgun barrels tend to sell in the 200 dollar range. The Remington 870 Tactical is ok...but I wonder if I might be better served with a regular Remington 870 with polymer stock and longer barrel and buy a mag tub extension to fit to maximise ammunition capacity. I understand the regular 870s run around the upper 400 dollar range. I have to wonder if I can buy and install a ghost ring, or a red dot site on the regular Remington 870s. The weatherby is a nice shotgun that is cheap...and it comes with a weird skull graphics. Not sure if I can do much to it...or if it needs more to do to it to make it a somewhat ok competition gun down the road.

Yeah, plenty of questions and few answers at this time. Guess I just keep reading until something clicks. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:15:30 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #623 on: February 18, 2015, 05:26:04 AM

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #624 on: February 18, 2015, 05:41:56 AM
I think I may have found the ideal shotgun...

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-autoloading-mossberg-930-signature-series-jm-pro-jerry-miculek-series-10-shot/85118

:drool:

Yeah!  That Jerry Miculek  can really shoot!!!! Google his name for shooting vids on YouTube!!!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:46:01 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #625 on: February 18, 2015, 06:13:57 AM
I always admired Jerry and his incredible skill set. I would hate to see someone break into his house. He would take out 30 people before they even knew what happened.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #626 on: February 18, 2015, 06:31:30 AM
Dang them Shotguns are expensive in Canada.

As far as AR rifle go you should look into Palmetto State Armory. They sell good AR parts for a fair price and have the best customer service. Not sure what the rules are for sending gun parts to Canada are though. One good thing is they sell kits with everything you need to build an AR except for the lower receiver. Since the lower has the serial number they can just mail you the rest with no FFL and the like.

I always admired Jerry and his incredible skill set. I would hate to see someone break into his house. He would take out 30 people before they even knew what happened.  :D

His wife and daughter are very good shots too. Both have won more then on national level three gun and shotgun competition.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:33:19 AM by HarleyXJGuy »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #627 on: February 18, 2015, 01:27:04 PM
I think I may have found the ideal shotgun...

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-autoloading-mossberg-930-signature-series-jm-pro-jerry-miculek-series-10-shot/85118

:drool:

Yeah!  That Jerry Miculek  can really shoot!!!! Google his name for shooting vids on YouTube!!!

Like Doom LARPing...

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #628 on: February 18, 2015, 06:51:54 PM
Jerry Miculek is to guns what Chuck Norris is to unarmed fighting.

I would feel bad for anyone that forced him into a self defense use of a firearm. I imagine it'd be like an old western where one guy wipes out a gang of outlaws in a split second.

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #629 on: February 19, 2015, 07:29:35 AM

Very easy though to keep your empties and use those. They will get damaged so eventually you will have to toss them but it's still a great way of practicing.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%